Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Post-match thread | Saturday 31st October 2020

Comments

• Options
    What a difference it makes to the weekend when we win. 

Thoroughly bloody decent result.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely unexpected.

Very happy. Mrs might get an extra minute tonight.
    So 90 seconds then ....
    He's so excited about todays performance he could go off early ......... as he said Completely unexpected : :D 
  • Options
    MattF said:

Boom, there's the graph again. 112-65. Cracking game.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely unexpected.

Very happy. Mrs might get an extra minute tonight.
    As long as it's before the Quest highlight show starts
  • Options
    Get in. What a feeling, I can't remember the last time we won 5 on the spin without conceding for 6. 
    All the players immense today, really pleased that JW's finally got a goal. Gunter was immense. Maatsen plays well beyond his years and everyone put in a real shift. 
  • Options
    I think a beer may be in order!  COYRS!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Great to watch, Gunter mom, Maatsen outstanding prospect, Shinnie - class - loving it
  • Options
    Out of interest, did we have many in the last League One Team of Week?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Great result. All of us hoped for it, but I don't think many expected it.

Amos worried me a little today.
    Positives were that he does look better and better every week at coming to collect crosses, (which is a really big positive) and he did keep another clean sheet (which is a huge positive)
    However, he had a couple of moments there where, in all honesty, he should've been punished. It was only good fortune, Portsmouth's finishing or their decision making that stopped them scoring.
    I've enjoyed Amos so far this season, but I hope he's got a couple of rickets out of his system today, thankfully at no cost.
    Scratches head in disbelief. 

Yes, he made a mistake early on coming for a ball he was never going to get and it could have cost us a goal.

After that, he has put on a first class display of goalkeeping. He has caught just about every cross that Portsmouth put into the penalty area - something they were doing a lot. Given the windy conditions, it was a superb display in collecting crosses and taking the pressure off the defence.

And I'm struggling to think, apart from his early error, what else did he do wrong?

Six games without conceding a goal. Keepers we need to worry about really don't do that.  
    Well, maybe you should watch the game again?
    Mix up with Maatsen first half: Amos error
    Closed down by Curtis when faffing about with the ball: Amos error.
    Mix up in second half, claimed ball on the floor, but dropped it. Luckily no Portsmouth player could take advantage. Maybe a shared error.
    Portsmouth could/should have scored at least twice there.

A goalkeeper only needs one error to lose his team the game. Amos made at least two rickets there, maybe more, (I don’t know because replays were playing over a lot of the action ;) .)

To be clear, I like him. He’s looked good this season and a lot of his game today was very good, particularly in the air (all of which I did say in my post) but you can’t afford to make three errors a game and expect to get away with it. Amos got away with it today.
  • Options
    Great 3 points, sod the play-offs top 2 if not winners, some team we’ve got coming together with squad depth youth & experience. 
  • Options
    Out of interest, did we have many in the last League One Team of Week?
    Inniss was the only player from the Northampton win, dont think we had anyone from the Oxford win
  • Options
    Best 'last 5' in the division.
    Nice.
  • Options
    We will ride to promotion on a wave made of Shinnie's composure. Happy days.
    I hope we sign him. Excellent player 
    I’m assuming that as he’s on loan we could sign him permanently at any point. I’d do it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    MattF said:

Boom, there's the graph again. 112-65. Cracking game.

• Options
    Fantastic performance by everyone although Gunter my MOM. I'm feeling confident about my charity bet with Golfie even more so now 😂😂
  • Options
    I’m assuming that as he’s on loan we could sign him permanently at any point. I’d do it now.
    Depends on cost.
    Do you know a financial adviser who could help.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Out of contract at the end of the season. I guess the concern if we go up is that Luton didn't think he was good enough for the Championship - he lost his place in the team when Nathan Jones came in and helped turn things around -  maybe his natural level now is as a top L1 player?
  • Options
    Some moaning at Amos dropping a couple, but he comes for crosses and gets most of them and imho playing well.

Last year we had a keeper who hardly came for crosses and put defence under far more pressure on crosses.

No doubt Bowyer noticed that too.

Despite Phillips being a good shot-stopper, perhaps all along Bow wanted a keeper who commanded his box better? And that was Amos.

I wonder also if that might have been a contributory reason as to why Bowyer played such hard ball with Phillips wanting to leave for Championship football?

• Options
    Great performance again. Really impressed with bogle, puts himself about, he’ll get his chance soon. Jonny was good and shinnie as always. Defence was rock solid. Pratley the leader again. 
  • Options
    Out of contract at the end of the season. I guess the concern if we go up is that Luton didn't think he was good enough for the Championship - he lost his place in the team when Nathan Jones came in and helped turn things around -  maybe his natural level now is as a top L1 player?
    Just like we didn’t think Stephenson good enough for League One but he’s now playing in the Championship. Maybe just that Shinnie doesn’t fit Jones style of playing?