Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Post-match thread | Saturday 31st October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Salad said:
    1 goal for Johnny
    2 nil
    3 points
    4 centre halves out
    5 wins in a row
    6 clean sheets in a row
    7 scorers of the last ...
    8 goals in winning run
    9 games played
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Anyone moaning at Amos needs a head wobble. He's not going to get everything right all the time or he wouldn't be playing in league one but the amount of crosses he claimed to relieve the pressure today was huge. I really liked Phillips but it's an area of Amos' game that is far superior to his and massive in games like today. 
    Agree. After that performance and the run we are on it's head scratching for anyone to be focusing on the negative.
  • Options
    Brilliant performance. Brilliant team effort. Players to come back and should only get better. Very happy again tonight! 
  • Options
    I’m running out of superlatives. 
    Maatsen is playing like an experienced Championship player. 
    Pratley is holding it all together. 
    Incredible team performance again. 
    Well done to the back room boys and the players. 
    Maatsen is better to than that. I don't see him out of place in a top half Premier League team. It's worth watching us just to see him. Great defender and what a first touch cross. It was absolutely delicious. When Beckham did stuff like that the MOTD pundits were creaming themselves.
  • Options
    Some moaning at Amos dropping a couple, but he comes for crosses and gets most of them and imho playing well.
    Last year we had a keeper who hardly came for crosses and put defence under far more pressure on crosses.

Anyway we were great today you can tell a real team spirit is forming, brilliant defensively and options going forward.

We really do have our Charlton back.
    To be fair, my post about Amos probably looked like a moan, but it was only really meant as a comment on where he could improve his game.
    Your point on comparing him to Phillips is a valid one and, I say again, I’ve enjoyed Amos’ performances this year and, apart from his couple of little moments, he was good today.

The team did well today and Amos contributed to that and played a huge part, but you never get better unless you look to improve. I just think some of the decision making I mentioned is an area for Amos to work on. That’s all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I knew Gunter would sail through at centre half. Watched him play there for Wales and he looked his usual non flustered self.

I reckon you could stick this fella up front and he would do a decent job!
    Was worried about this, wasn't sure. He was excellent 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I love this club xx

(and yes, drinking)
    I love this club too

(and nope, not drinking!!) :)
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Anyone moaning at Amos needs a head wobble. He's not going to get everything right all the time or he wouldn't be playing in league one but the amount of crosses he claimed to relieve the pressure today was huge. I really liked Phillips but it's an area of Amos' game that is far superior to his and massive in games like today. 
    So no different to people saying Phillips catching was poor but was excellent at shot stopping. Even when Dills made great saves and kept us in games people criticised his kicking or catching. So any criticism of Amos today is just the same. Not that I’d use today to make those comments myself I can’t see why people can’t if they want to.
  • Options
    Didn't get a chance to watch or follow. Big surprise that result. Another clean sheet and a win when most of us would have been happy with a point.... but most importantly...

JONNY WILLIAMS!

Lovin it!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I love this club xx

(and yes, drinking)
    I love this club too

(and nope, not drinking!!) :)
    Don't worry FA 
    The way I'm feeling I will drink enough for both of us.
    🥃🥃hic
  • Options
    Well I did not expect that!  Excellent performance.  I made a vow not to do player’s marks until I can see a game in the flesh but Gunter and Pratters today have tested my resolve.  I can understand some of the worries over Ben’s decisions/handling today but no harm done and out of his system.  Like to see JFC’s pass ‘map’ as I felt he was a bit wayward - but made up for it with a couple of crucial tackles so I’m not complaining.  Really missing watching this live
  • Options
    I’m running out of superlatives. 
    Maatsen is playing like an experienced Championship player. 
    Pratley is holding it all together. 
    Incredible team performance again. 
    Well done to the back room boys and the players. 
    Maatsen is better to than that. I don't see him out of place in a top half Premier League team. It's worth watching us just to see him. Great defender and what a first touch cross. It was absolutely delicious. When Beckham did stuff like that the MOTD pundits were creaming themselves.
    Not sure about that, still looks shaky at the back to me, nowhere near ready to be a Premier League LB. I think he might be a LM to be honest, although plenty of time to get better. Outstanding for an 18 year old, 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Indeed in a league where teams are far more likely to attack aerially, it's a massive benefit
  • Options
    Talal said:
    So no different to people saying Phillips catching was poor but was excellent at shot stopping. Even when Dills made great saves and kept us in games people criticised his kicking or catching. So any criticism of Amos today is just the same. Not that I’d use today to make those comments myself I can’t see why people can’t if they want to.
    It's slightly different. Phillips' poor kicking/not coming for crosses was consistent over quite a long period of time. Amos has been very solid so far this season, just made a couple of errors today, so I don't feel it warrants any concern. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Sensational sit up and take notice result.
    Yet still clearly a work in progress, I hope Famewo is not too serious an injury.
    Portsmouth was a very tough test today, but by a little bit we were the better team.
    Most of all it was a game that reminded me that Lee Bowyer, and Jacko know what they are doing.
    One example is the work rate of the otherwise unrewarded Washington.
    I also strongly disagree that Bogle had anything but a good game...he was a pain in the arse for Portsmouth all the time, they even brought on that sub at half time specifically to try to deal with his threat.
    Completely agree on Bogle.  All he was missing was a goal.  The attitude on the match thread was bizzare.  In fact, 50/50 penalty shout.  I thought he was much better than Washington, who also did OK.  Gunter absolute magic and best game for Johnny for a while
  • Options
    All round solid performance and very welcome win against one of the league favourites. Sit up League One...the Valiant Sword is out to get you! 🎃 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Really pleased with Washington and Smyth, they receive pelters from posters, hope they continue to work hard and perform.
    Where have they received pelters, especially Smyth? Maybe I've missed something. 
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    seth plum said:
    Yet still clearly a work in progress, I hope Famewo is not too serious an injury.
    Portsmouth was a very tough test today, but by a little bit we were the better team.
    Most of all it was a game that reminded me that Lee Bowyer, and Jacko know what they are doing.
    I also strongly disagree that Bogle had anything but a good game...he was a pain in the arse for Portsmouth all the time, they even brought on that sub at half time specifically to try to deal with his threat.
    Completely agree on Bogle.  All he was missing was a goal.  The attitude on the match thread was bizzare.  In fact, 50/50 penalty shout.  I thought he was much better than Washington, who also did OK.  Gunter absolute magic and best game for Johnny for a while
    I thought Bogle did fine. He should have had a penalty and won his fair share. My only criticism today would be that when he has the ball he is a bit hit or miss with his decisions, but early days. He does keep opposing defenders occupied.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    seth plum said:
    I thought Bogle did fine. He should have had a penalty and won his fair share. My only criticism today would be that when he has the ball he is a bit hit or miss with his decisions, but early days. He does keep opposing defenders occupied.
    As with much of the team (JFC as another example with some wayward passes) going to take some time to get on the same wavelength.  Shinnie appears to have adapted faster and I have no idea why Luton would allow him to leave to us on loan.  I just can't fathom our luck with injuries.   
  • Options
    Great win. 

Don't mean to be negative at all but the number of injuries we are racking up again does really concern me.