Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth (FA Cup R1) | Saturday 7th November 2020 | Post Match Thread

edited November 2020 in General Charlton
The traditional early cup exit courtesy of a 1-0 defeat in a game that has largely wiped itself from my memory already.
Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Ahh well, if you're going to get knocked out of the cup early, it might as well be in a season that there won't be a trip to Wembley.
  • Options
    As expected. Our cup dream ends before its even began. Good fitness for some of our lads and no injuries. Barker MOTM,this lad is some player.
  • Options
    Vennings played really well. Think he's more of an attacking midfielder than Levitt but the two have comparable skillsets
  • Options

"werent gonna win it anyway"

"can focus on the league properly now"

"good for certain players to get some minutes in their legs"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All good today as far as I'm concerned. 
    Maddison  Barker Levitt plus a few others all get some game time  plus no injuries. 
    Give a couple of them more minutes in the pizza game and then we continue our march towards the league one title.
    COYA 
  • Options
    Sounded f*****g atrocious.

Never layed a glove and spent the whole game giving the ball away.
    Plymouth didn't have to work too hard through the gears to get a result.

Highly disappointing.

Only saving grace is I never payed a penny to watch it.
  • Options
    Poor game, was hoping we might try and at least keep the undefeated run going! I know its the FA cup, but as I said on the preview winning breeds confidence, and confidence breeds winning. Plymouth are doing well in League 1 and we've not shown up against one of our league opponents. Too many players off their game, but thought Barker looked good, Vennings looked good when he came on and Matthews played well. Overall not great, but Maddison could be a very good player once he gets match fit and isn't always so greedy. Disappointed.  
  • Options
    Individual performances were decent... Especially from Barker and Morgan who stood out for me

Result certainly pleases me, especially with how Ipswich and Rochdale games have turned out as former are just exhausting themselves further and even if they do win there is probably the option to play the latter so its all good retrospectively

As mentioned by someone on the Match Thread

Cant really go arguing with Bowyer's selections now as he's been getting it spot on by leaving some out after that
  • Options
    fa cup is dead to me - a reserve game 
  • Options
    Oh well, at least we can concentrate on the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Thought Vennings looked really impressive, should be involved ahead of Levitt in my opinion. 
    Agree that Vennings impressed but it was when we shifted our formation.  But regardless he looked good.  

Levitt was a mix of good and bad as were Inniss and Maddison but as a team we didn't look balanced.

For me the FA Cup is still important so disappointed to go out but we knew in advance that Bowyer, while hoping we'd have enough to win, wasn't going to prioritise this game over league matches.

Rochdale are also out so don't know if we can play them on 2nd round day?  Not sure when that is or who Rochdale are due to play.

On the Pizza cup and the U23s
  • Options
    I've had a little think about it and nope, I don't care. Good to get minutes into some players who need them
    Yep this, the only thing I care about is that no more injuries / suspensions and players like MM got game time.

have ignored it all afternoon 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Vennings looked excellent. Barker was outstanding. Aneke really struggled today, after looking unplayable recently. Levitt started badly but then was very tidy and broke the lines a few times with good passes. Purrington let Nouble walk straight through him at the end there which was shocking. 

Williams was the worst player out there, for me. There's a lot of love for him from Charlton fans but I don't know how much of it originates from his performances.

As a team we looked ok considering we were playing Plymouth's first 11. Strength in depth.

As to the result - Oh well! It's nice to know we've got one less set of fixtures to worry about, and one less cause of injuries!

Yeah, if anyone should be worried about Vennings' display it's Williams
  • Options
    fa cup should be important but hasn't been treated as such by charlton for well over 20 years which is a big shame but i expect nothing else now other than a reserve game which is what that was - giving rusty players 'minutes'  
  • Options
    Another goal conceded? Bowyer Out!
  • Options
    Thought Barker generally did excellently, although I think he should probably have stuck with his man for their goal. Vennings looked good when he came on, and Morgan continued to show a pleasing willingness to get stuck in. We looked a bit better once we changed things around with the subs, and might've snuck a goal with our late pressure - I'd love to see that Barker chance again, but it probably won't make it onto MOTD sadly. Not especially fussed as I tuned in to this one out of interest to see how the fringe players got on, rather than expecting we'd get anything out of the game.
    MOTM probably Camara for them realistically.
  • Options
    Couldn’t give a poop for the FA Cup. Had hoped Maddison, Williams and Aneke may have influenced the game a bit more, but just not to be today. Barker, Matthews, Vennings should come out of the game with most credit. Pure focus on the league is perfect from where I sit, so going out of the tin pot cup after Tuesday, also welcome.