Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth (FA Cup R1) | Saturday 7th November 2020 | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I know he would have been 79 if he was still alive, but I thought we missed the injured Graham Moore today.

Still, it's only the FA Cup.  It's one of the things that we've already won.  It's not like we sing about it much or taunt Palace and Millwall.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    PWR

It's Charlton, it's a cup, it's a defeat.

That summarises it but in truth there were a few silver linings today in my opinion.

Plymouth are sitting at 8th in the table and started today with an unchanged side from their last league match. We rung the changes and at least half of our team were youngsters or players returning and rusty from injury yet we competed more or less.

I thought Charlie Barker played superbly and felt gutted for him that Cooper made an excellent save from that improvised flick at the end. A goal would have been an appropriate cap to a fine performance.

Albie too had an effective 90 minutes and young Vennings seems to have come on, making a real impact when he came on. 

A semi reserve side took a team just outside the play offs in our own division all the way. It augurs well for what our full strength team can do.

COYR
     Can't agree with that. This was not a bunch of wet around the ear kids that have not played minutes for the first team.
    Up to just a few weeks ago the majority of that side were first teamers.

I was expecting a much much better performance than the one that was shovelled up today.
  • Options
    I would rather have won than lost, but honestly don't really care.

I've almost come to expect that we will get knocked out in the early stages, so I haven't looked forward to a cup game for a long time.

Some fringe players got a bit of playing time, there were no injuries and we didn't lose badly. That's good enough for me.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    Though Levitt did quite well when he settled down - seemed nervy at the start.  
    Bowyer or someone has commented on this in the past.

Can't remember exactly where I read it now, SLP perhaps?
    Something like, Levitt gets really nervous before a match and takes him a while to settle into the game.

• Options
     Not going to lose any sleep over that result. Looking forward to Maddison getting fully fits - enough glimpses of his obvious talent today.
  • Options
    Said to my dad before the game we should play the under 13s. No interest in progressing in the cup this year, ridiculous fixture list already, I'm happy we lost
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    PWR

It's Charlton, it's a cup, it's a defeat.

That summarises it but in truth there were a few silver linings today in my opinion.

Plymouth are sitting at 8th in the table and started today with an unchanged side from their last league match. We rung the changes and at least half of our team were youngsters or players returning and rusty from injury yet we competed more or less.

I thought Charlie Barker played superbly and felt gutted for him that Cooper made an excellent save from that improvised flick at the end. A goal would have been an appropriate cap to a fine performance.

Albie too had an effective 90 minutes and young Vennings seems to have come on, making a real impact when he came on. 

A semi reserve side took a team just outside the play offs in our own division all the way. It augurs well for what our full strength team can do.

COYR
     Can't agree with that. This was not a bunch of wet around the ear kids that have not played minutes for the first team.
    Up to just a few weeks ago the majority of that side were first teamers.

I was expecting a much much better performance than the one that was shovelled up today.
    But as you said, that was "up to a few weeks ago" - when we were under transfer embargo.

They are not now though. I believe that was Len Glover's point.

• Options
    oh well, not to worry. There are worse things happening. Stay Safe ....
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I know he would have been 79 if he was still alive, but I thought we missed the injured Graham Moore today.

Still, it's only the FA Cup.  It's one of the things that we've already won.  It's not like we sing about it much or taunt Palace and Millwall.
    Graham Moore was one of my heroes too. He was an experienced player, skipper and a proper leader.

A major issue today - in the absence of Prats and Watson, we lacked a leader on the pitch.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    "The Addicks do have some rest-bite as next weekend’s league game with Rochdale has been postponed due to international call-ups ..... "

Very good, Louis.  :smile:

• Options
    Good competitive match for fringe players. Next!
  • Options
    Forgot we were playing to be honest. Best news is we can now play Ipswich on second round day.
  • Options
    As expected. Our cup dream ends before its even began. Good fitness for some of our lads and no injuries. Barker MOTM,this lad is some player.
    The cup dream doesn't even exist this season. The competition should have been cancelled. I'm glad that we're out of the farce.
  • Options
    I'm with Bows too, especially around the 8internationals. It was bad enough when they started playing 2 games during the "International break", now its 3. Barmy.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    If we get out of the division at the end of the season this game will be long forgotten.
    If I get a beer out of the fridge in a minute, this game will be forgotten.

I hate seeing fans make comments about not caring about the cup, but it's really hard putting up an argument why anyone should care when our manager doesn't care. Not caring is a self-defence mechanism to save from the inevitable disappointment.
    I think that fans not caring are divided into two groups:
    A Those that care
    B Those that don't care any season
    C Those that don't care in a Covid19 season

I'm a huge FA Cup fan; I hate it being devalued, but I fall into group C easily. I love the FA Cup so much that I'd be devastated if this were to be 'our year.' , even if 'our year' were simply to mean a Third Round against a 'big club'  Better not to have to worry about it.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    supaclive said:
    Camera looked a very good player for them. Was a youth player at Barnsley, before going to Dulwich, then Crawley and now Plymouth, so gradually moving south!
    He'll be in France soon!
    Guernsey first.....

I'll let you know when he passed by on his way from Nantes to Bordeaux then
  • Options
    Didn't watch the live stream so only going by what has been said on here & my own thoughts.......

Might have been better to have saved the wages on Levitt as Morgan & Vennings are just as good (if not better). Wages then could have been spent on a striker as that is going to be our downfall this season. Playing with just 1 up front rarely works for us & only had Washington on the bench. Btw, Davison scored for Woking so at least one of our strikers knows what's it like to score in the FA Cup.

And counting cup games that's 18 games since Boxing Day that we've failed to win once we've gone behind. Sobering thought when we are light up front.

Brilliant !!!  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    We are not going to win the cup anytime yet but when you have a squad of players you need plenty of games for them to both maintain match fitness and to gel. Cup games provide that opportunity. I’d be pissed off of we were a PL club and got knocked out of a cup, getting knocked out of a cup in a lower league is no big deal, just a wasted opportunity to get the squad right for the league battle 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    when we went out to middlesborough up there in the quarters was the last time we put everything into it  
    Under Powell in the Championship when we went to Sheffield United in the Quarters?
    good point - 10 years then
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    when we went out to middlesborough up there in the quarters was the last time we put everything into it  
    Under Powell in the Championship when we went to Sheffield United in the Quarters?
    good point - 10 years then
    2013/14.
  • Options
    It was good game to give minutes to Chuks, Matthews and MM. Seeing fans on social media coming out and losing their shit because we lost in a cup, seriously get a grip. 

Plymouth played their first XI and are nothing to be worried about, confident the result in the league will be a different one. Regarding players Barker very good, Vennings looked good when he came on, would rather him than Levitt, who is hot and cold for me. Jonny disappointed today, need the see more from him. Maddison got in some good positions, hopefully it clicks soon with him. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    If we get out of the division at the end of the season this game will be long forgotten.
    If I get a beer out of the fridge in a minute, this game will be forgotten.

I hate seeing fans make comments about not caring about the cup, but it's really hard putting up an argument why anyone should care when our manager doesn't care. Not caring is a self-defence mechanism to save from the inevitable disappointment.
    I think that fans not caring are divided into two groups:
    A Those that care
    B Those that don't care any season
    C Those that don't care in a Covid19 season

I'm a huge FA Cup fan; I hate it being devalued, but I fall into group C easily. I love the FA Cup so much that I'd be devastated if this were to be 'our year.' , even if 'our year' were simply to mean a Third Round against a 'big club'  Better not to have to worry about it.
    Same here. It's a mad season as it is, without having THREE cup competitions

Most lower teams will have Covid related postponements this winter, it's inevitable which will add to the problem of fitting in all the games