Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth (FA Cup R1) | Saturday 7th November 2020 | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Some good chances and half chances early on...looked really good in the first 20 minutes.  Chuks may have played 60 minutes but wasn't too impressed.  Matthews excellent, JFC in and out, Maddison rusty and a bit over ambitious at times.  Morgan solid as ever.  Though Levitt did quite well when he settled down - seemed nervy at the start.  Washington and Vennings changed the game - very impressed with Vennings.  Shame to go out in Round 1 but won't lose sleep...
  • Options
    Bromley concede in added on time in extra time...
    Shame. Was keeping an watch on their game. And just commenting that their players must be knackered playing with 10 men. Then they conceded. Gutted for them
  • Options
    Much prefer watching Aneke coming off the bench to make an impact
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    when we went out to middlesborough up there in the quarters was the last time we put everything into it  
    Under Powell in the Championship when we went to Sheffield United in the Quarters?
    Lost 4-2 in a 6th round replay at the Riverside in 2006 when we were in rhe Prem free coaches laid on IIRC.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Only disappointing was Levitt didn't put in the performance I was hoping for, got hopefully another chance on Tuesday in the Pizza Hut trophy. Will be very surprised if he's still here by close of business on January 1st.

Other than that, pretty happy. The FA cup has no benefit for league one sides, more so without fans. The u23s did themselves proud, and we got a good look at Plymouth in advance of boxing day.
    Levitt will be with the Wales squad on Tuesday

He did better in the second half, but in the second half gave the ball away in a really dangerous position, which could easily have cost us
  • Options

One thing I will say is I feel like I've seen enough of 4-3-3 to think it's not a viable option for us. Prefer us with 2 up top. 
    I see Bowyer's 4-3-3 set up as a vehicle to accomodate Doughty, where he can use his pace and penetration to get behind defences.
    We haven't got him available for a long while.

Perhaps Smyth can play his role to an extent. Or it's a position perhaps for a match fit Maddison.
    But Williams wide, nope ..... play him where he can do damage centrally  in that '10' role, behind the strikers.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

One thing I will say is I feel like I've seen enough of 4-3-3 to think it's not a viable option for us. Prefer us with 2 up top. 
    I see Bowyer's 4-3-3 set up as a vehicle to accomodate Doughty, where he can use his pace and penetration to get behind defences.

Perhaps Smyth can play his role to an extent. Or it's a position perhaps for a match fit Maddison.
    But Williams wide, nope ..... play him where he can do damage centrally  in that '10' role, behind the strikers.
    Doesnt Williams play in that 4-3-3 type role for Wales though?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Only disappointing was Levitt didn't put in the performance I was hoping for, got hopefully another chance on Tuesday in the Pizza Hut trophy. Will be very surprised if he's still here by close of business on January 1st.

Other than that, pretty happy. The FA cup has no benefit for league one sides, more so without fans. The u23s did themselves proud, and we got a good look at Plymouth in advance of boxing day.
    Levitt will be with the Wales squad on Tuesday

He did better in the second half, but in the second half gave the ball away in a really dangerous position, which could easily have cost us
    Course he will, forgot about that. Just don't see what he brings currently that keeps our own under 23's out of the squad, considering his supposed pedigree 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Best off out of it. Players getting hammies all over the games today.
    We look bound for promotion and a 1-0 defeat to PAFC in the FA Cup is gonna be a ten second clip on the season highlights DVD.
    Suspect the cups, especially the pepperoni pizza U23 farce, should’ve been cancelled this season what with Covid and hardly any rest/pre season. But money talks, doesn’t it.
    Back to the league anyway. COYRs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a bit meh, wish I hadn't paid as I feared a shocker and I wasn't wrong. 

Really impressed with Barker, whilst Vennings had a nice little cameo, as did Washington. Morgan, JFC, Matthews, Purrington were all ok. Aneke didn't do much, disappointed with Williams and Maddison. 

Levitt was ok and I'm sure he'll improve, both here and in his career elsewhere. My issue with him is that I don't really see what he offers us at the moment. We have Pratley and Watson to play in front of the defence, and then JFC, Shinnie, Morgan, Gilbey, Williams and Maddison further forward. I'd prefer us to play Vennings which we benefit from in the longer term. If there is an opportunity to get a U21 Striker in January then we have to consider cancelling his loan. 

Not massively fussed about the loss overall, but agree with Bowyer it would have been nice to see a few fringe players impress against a team in our league. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Doesnt Williams play in that 4-3-3 type role for Wales though?
    I just feel he's wasted out there. Everytime I see him have a game where he does not really affect our play in the final third its because he's been stuck out on the left cutting in.

• Options
    All about game time for some rusty players,try out with a few different combinations,we have no more injuries,Lee & co get a good look at the squad overall...he will see now who he can rely on & what work needs to be done on some individuals...all in all ain’t a bad thing to lose to a full strength Plymouth by the one goal,prob be more of the same Tuesday but heyho...want out of this league 1st & foremost & unfortunately something needs to give & again for us it’s the cups at this time...
  • Options
    In recent years we've managed to get a decent result in the league against the same team we had a cup tie with so maybe its a good omen. 
  • Options
    Ipswich lost so we should be playing them on the 28th instead of a 2nd round tie.
  • Options
    All about game time for some rusty players,try out with a few different combinations,we have no more injuries,Lee & co get a good look at the squad overall...he will see now who he can rely on & what work needs to be done on some individuals...all in all ain’t a bad thing to lose to a full strength Plymouth by the one goal,prob be more of the same Tuesday but heyho...want out of this league 1st & foremost & unfortunately something needs to give & again for us it’s the cups at this time...
    With regards to Plymouth I've not seen anything from them today that would make me concerned when they face a stronger Charlton team - Maatsen was a problem for just 15mins that he was on, whilst our best player against them was a 17-year old kid

Speaks volumes about the League in a way again
  • Options

Barker is a real prospect that we must try to hold onto.
    He's just signed a 3 year contract.

• Options
    Very disappointing. Thought Barker & Vennings played well and future looks bright for them. 

Aneke showed why a lot of people believe he is an impact player instead of a regular starter. Maddison offers a decent options and linked up well with Matthews.

Not a lot to say after that performance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ipswich losing means we should play them on a normal Saturday instead of playing on the Tuesday before Xmas an adding to a ridiculous busy schedule.
    Vennings is very impressive. No injuries, minutes into several players. A good day.
  • Options
    Camera looked a very good player for them. Was a youth player at Barnsley, before going to Dulwich, then Crawley and now Plymouth, so gradually moving south!
    He won't get any further south than Plymouth.

To them, every other club in the land are, "Dirty Northern B*st*rds".  :smile:

• Options
    We dont do cups but hopefully one day we will make an effort to win the Champions League! 🙃
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with the word "relief" Bowyer used then. That almost implies that if we were 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, he's ask our players to give away a couple of goals!

After all, why did he bring on Washington if you want to lose the game? Washington doesn't need the minutes, he's sharp and will get game time with N Ireland

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Camera looked a very good player for them. Was a youth player at Barnsley, before going to Dulwich, then Crawley and now Plymouth, so gradually moving south!
    He won't get any further south than Plymouth.

To them, every other club in the land are, "Dirty Northern B*st*rds".  :smile:

But said in a "green army" yokel accent  :D