Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    My team's large enough as is so I'm done but just one other I'd flag up with BetFred offering 8 places, if anyone's looking for live contenders for the extended places (and who knows what else?).
    I'm a huge fan over the GN course of Conor O'Farrell (who piloted Swing Bill skilfully around several times to great effect) and it's no surprise that his patient style is much more suitable for this fella (2 wins from 3 rides) than Tom Scu's.
    I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him claim a berth in the first 8 home with VIEUX LION ROUGE (40s for the 8 places).
    Looked a doubtful stayer in 6th 2017 when ridden prominently but loves the fences and under a more conservative pilot, could well nick 5~8th IMHO.

• Options
    Is give me a copper a runner?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Is give me a copper a runner?
    Sure is. Another one that's interesting with 8 places on offer (50/1) - course debutant but will love the ground and is too lightly written off IMHO in terms of his staying potential (9th best stat-rating according to my model)
  • Options
    I’ve got 66/1 on give me a copper with bobs365 and they are offering cash out below the bet. Think I’ll ignore that kind offer. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I’ve got 66/1 on give me a copper with bobs365 and they are offering cash out below the bet. Think I’ll ignore that kind offer. 
    At least you've got 1/4 odds with Bob for the place.
    Yard in excellent form - he's got a nice weight and maybe front 5 beckons (unless Fergie's used up all his success for the meeting ..... or maybe he hasn't and Copper scores!)
    Best of luck.  
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    First time headgear in the GN for:

Lake View Lad (p)
    Potters Corner (b) 

First run after a wind op:

Lake View Lad
    Discorama (we knew about)
    Minellacelebration (we didn't)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Very interesting that. Foxhunters time = 20 secs slow of std.
    Seemed like a truly run race and that's definitely on the slow side of GS.
    For ref, 2019 FoxH time was only 4 secs slower than that and it was Officially Soft then.
    Obviously plenty of time yet and the course can dry out rapidly but if it were like that on Saturday it might be too slow for Cloth Cap to have his best chance.
    There are showers forecast for tomorrow and (maybe 5mm) on Saturday.

• Options
    If Minellacelebration wins, the drinks are on me.
    I've backed Minellacelebration for 5 places on Bet365 half money back offer, Betfred to 6 places and Betfred to 8 places.
  • Options
    Very interesting that. Foxhunters time = 20 secs slow of std.
    Seemed like a truly run race and that's definitely on the slow side of GS.
    For ref, 2019 FoxH time was only 4 secs slower than that and it was Officially Soft then.
    Obviously plenty of time yet and the course can dry out rapidly but if it were like that on Saturday it might be too slow for Cloth Cap to have his best chance.
    There are showers forecast for tomorrow and (maybe 5mm) on Saturday.

66/1 winner. I was on at 66/1, just the wrong horse.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ITV's clock was not the official one - 18.6 secs slow, not 20 but similar conclusion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Minellacelebration wins, the drinks are on me.
    I've backed Minellacelebration for 5 places on Bet365 half money back offer, Betfred to 6 places and Betfred to 8 places.
    Hope he does the biz for us @Covered End
    So competitive at the head of the market that I'm expecting him to drift out further before the Off, along with the other unfancieds.
    I've filled me boots with wild prices on him to win on the exchange but obviously I'd still be gobsmacked if he did it.
    Would be ecstatic with a place and could be tempted to have an extra nibble if he hits 100 for 7 or 8 places. 
    Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Havent used bet365 for a while and cant do the know your customer verification. It just says your account is verified and step 2 complete but when I try to add funds it says I need to verify my account for feck sake.
  • Options
    Havent used bet365 for a while and cant do the know your customer verification. It just says your account is verified and step 2 complete but when I try to add funds it says I need to verify my account for feck sake.
    They won't let me bet. They banned me from all offers. Joke of a bookmaker.
  • Options
    O'Leary doing an O'Leary by sending Tiger Roll to the Bowl.

He'll have to fall out the back of the telly to get his mark down in a G1. Presumably a last trip?
    Bothering to take Tiger Roll to Aintree to have him deliberately saunter round in the Bowl to lose by 92 lengths and still finish in order to suggest he's actually a 158 horse is just about the most Michael O'Leary thing I think I've ever seen.
  • Options

Bet 365 Each Way Extra - get up to 10 places on the Grand National.

Select the Each Way Extra tab at the top of the race coupon to choose your own place terms for the Grand National. T&Cs apply**. Mind you oddschecker may show you better odds elsewhere.

• Options
    Praying that Some Neck gets in
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Personal opinion but, for me, Bet365's by far the best bookie out there for an e/w value seeker and that's nowt to do with Bob being an Addick and Lifer.
    • 1/4 odds for the place - very rare these days
    • that doesn't affect the prices in my experience - not always but often Bet365's the best odds, especially on outsiders
    • by far the most flexible cash-out offering - I've been able to cash-out an ante-post bet even this morning to switch to extra places and (allowing that's at their discretion and that it's not the best way to trade early odds) their bid-offer spread it isn't that bad typically IMHO
    Just my view, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    So I’m being very slow this morning. 

I’d backed with 365 a few weeks ago Minellacelebration £4ew at 80/1.

Theyve brought in a new offer of half stake back and odds have rose to 100/1

My cash out due to the rising odds is now £7.20. 

I’m better off cashing out that previous 7.20 and reinvesting it in the new offer at 100/1? 
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I’m better off cashing out that previous 7.20 and reinvesting it in the new offer at 100/1? 
    I reckon so - even with the 80p loss, in effect you'd be backing him at 200/1 now.
    One alternative to at least consider, though the new odds are much lower (in fact I can see they've fallen this morning for MinC already), is to reinvest for 1 or more extra places. Hit the Each Way Extra tab to check those out. Not sure if you can combine that with the "half stake refund" - if so, that would make it definitely worth considering for an extra 6th place.
    I always seemed to find one of mine finishing 1 place outside the paying places   :s

• Sponsored links:

• Options

so an 80p loss with better odds, no brainer AFKA

also essentially bet the new EW stake back offer you are getting a free eachway stake. SO putting on £8 you would get £4 back instantly so even that alone without the odds changing would be worth it imo
  • Options
    Personal opinion but, for me, Bet365's by far the best bookie out there for an e/w value seeker and that's nowt to do with Bob being an Addick and Lifer.
    • that doesn't affect the prices in my experience - not always but often Bet365's the best odds, especially on outsiders
    • by far the most flexible cash-out offering - I've been able to cash-out an ante-post bet even this morning to switch to extra places and (allowing that's at their discretion and that it's not the best way to trade early odds) their bid-offer spread it isn't that bad typically IMHO
    Yes but not much good if they won't let you put a bet on. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Well after yesterdays complete and utter shambles (not 1 bloody winner) I've done the following for today at Aintree-: (if you have any sense DONT do my tips, quite clearly this week I'm crap!!!)

14.20 - Ajero 15/2
    14.50 - Chantry House 11/8
    15.25 - Politologue 11/4
    16.06 - Livelovelaugh (well how cant I do that one!!) 13/2
    16.40 - Cape Gentleman 9/2

Done as e/w doubles and an e/w acca.

• Options
    Yes but not much good if they won't let you put a bet on. 
    All I can say is that I've never had a problem getting money on with Bet365.
    Then again, unlike Vic and Paddy, Bob's so far dodged all attempts by me to perform a cashectomy on him so hopefully I'll be banned as of 5.25 tomorrow evening   :smile:
  • Options
    One bet for me today, Kauto Riko in the Topham. William Hill paying 7 places and can also boost the win only leg if you wish.

25/1 is very fair IMO.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Selected views of RP's Spotlight [Richard Austen], which seems very fair to me:

Acapella Bourgeois
     Usually front-runner; beaten long way at Cheltenham Festivals in his only two runs in Britain; third to Burrows Saint in 2019 Irish National, however, and his win over that rival (and others in this) in Grade 3 at Fairyhouse six weeks ago confirmed he is at the top of his game again.

Alpha Des Obeaux Fell at the Chair in this in 2018; last won a race that November but rallied very well when third in the Becher here (3m2f) in December 2019 and his big revival when fourth in last month's cross-country at Cheltenham (3m6f) also showed he remains a force off this mark if the mood takes him.

Any Second Now 
    Won the 3m2f Kim Muir going away from off the pace at the 2019 Cheltenham Festival; fell early in the Irish National next time, so his stamina remains in the dark, but raising his game for two 2m wins on heavy going since surely indicates just that he's an improved horse and his trainer also prepared 2000 Grand National winner Papillon over much shorter distances; one to note.

Burrows Saint 
    Justified favouritism two years ago as 6yo in the 3m5f Irish National (good to yielding) and this race has understandably been the prime target since; although hanging right in the closing stages, he shaped as if coming to hand when second to Acapella Bourgeois at Fairyhouse six weeks ago and deserves to be among the market leaders.

Cloth Cap 
    Third in 2019 Scottish National showed he stays 4m well; spectacular sight and results when switched to front-running in cheekpieces on last two starts, jumping boldly and dominating the closing stages in top handicap at Newbury (3m2f, good) in November and Listed race at Kelso (good to soft) five weeks ago; latter result will see him 14lb higher for handicaps after this; rather less attack may be prudent here but, barring mishaps, a very, very bold show looks on its way.

Discorama 
    Placed on soft ground at three Cheltenham Festivals, including over 3m7f in 2019; his fine record at that course took a knock in November and unraced since (had wind surgery) but he is a highly plausible contender on the earlier evidence.

Farclas

Won Grade 1 Triumph Hurdle as 4yo, as did the same stable's Grand National star Tiger Roll; has come into his own again in handicap chases this term, most notably when runner-up at Cheltenham (2m4f) last month but also when third at Christmas on sole attempt at 3m; had to be reined back early in the latter, which casts doubt on his prospects as out-and-out stayer here.

Give Me A Copper 
    Very lightly raced 11yo; year off before strong-finishing second at Doncaster (3m) in December; disappointing there in January, albeit with soft ground not ideal; has to be worth another go at marathon trip (big-race fourth over 3m5f at Sandown in April 2019) so is not entirely dismissed.

Kimberlite Candy 
    Wore cheekpieces last three starts, last season when second in the Becher over these fences and storming home 10l in front in the 3m5f Classic at Warwick; went up 13lb for the latter but his remote second to Vieux Lion Rouge in the latest Becher was okay; that Warwick win puts him high up the list but he'd be higher if the ground were soft or heavy.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Magic Of Light Always prominent, despite going through the Chair, and saw the race out extremely well when 2019 Grand National runner-up (good to soft) on her only appearance beyond 3m1f; it's perhaps best, therefore, to forgive last month's very uncompetitive show at Cheltenham over 2m4f but she also has a 5lb higher mark than here in 2019.

Minella Times Good jumper; runner-up in valuable 22-runner handicaps at Leopardstown over 3m and 2m5f on last two outings; although there's no proof he will stay this trip, 3m efforts suggest some stamina reserves; De Bromhead and Blackmore had a spectacular Cheltenham last month and he brings fair chance for them to carry on in the same vein.

Minellacelebration 
    Behind in the 2019 Becher but has a superb record over the conventional fences here, including when scoring by 14l for a big career best in October (3m1f, soft; 8lb higher today); while unseating early on next two outings, neither was his fault; wind op since not disgraced on latest start; first venture beyond 3m2f but has some stamina in the family.

Potters Corner
     Achieving so little over hurdles on last two starts, particularly latest, did not look good and he missed Cheltenham due to a minor knock; however, cross-country return in November had been no disgrace and he'd won on heavy ground in the Midlands (4m2f) and Welsh Nationals in previous campaigns; had some good results in cheekpieces two seasons back and now tries blinkers.

Takingrisks Overcame major first-fence scare to win Scottish National (4m, good) two years ago; mixed since but the best of it has been better than ever and he seems to have benefited greatly from wind surgery in November, registering last-gasp win at Doncaster (3m, soft) on second run since; up 4lb but has a big each-way chance.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    and the verdict - music to @ISawLeaburnScore 's ears:

TAKINGRISKS
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    A wee dabble, just to have an e/w interest in the Topham today - Robin Des Foret (28/1, 5 places).
    Good form over 21~24f vs Any Second Now and Burrows Saint in the last 2 years.
    Can be inconsistent but trip perfect and should love the ground.
    First time over the fences - if he takes to them and is on a going-day, could be in biz at a worthwhile price.
  • Options
    A wee dabble, just to have an e/w interest in the Topham today - Robin Des Foret (28/1, 5 places).
    Good form over 21~24f vs Any Second Now and Burrows Saint in the last 2 years.
    Can be inconsistent but trip perfect and should love the ground.
    First time over the fences - if he takes to them and is on a going-day, could be in biz at a worthwhile price.
    extra place you can get for 20/1 on 365 peanut.