Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Kohli's gladiatorial greeting of the first wicket was a bit over the top.  One wicket in forty overs.  If they continue taking wickets at that rate, they will bowl England out by close of play.  On Friday. 
    When I first read this, it did feel like a potential jinx @Chizz.
  • Options
    Should have just gone for it from the start. Spread the field. Instead you now have everyone around the bat.

Put pressure on the fielding side, not the other way round. 
  • Options
    A really interesting day's play. I regret not buying Day 5 tickets before today (they're sold out now) as tomorrow should be really interesting. If England can avoid giving away cheap wickets, we know the likes of Root, Bairstow and Pope will score more quickly than Burns and Hameed

I'm really grateful now the day was already sold out...

Having endured Day 5 at Lord's, surrounded by jubilant Indian fans, I'm really glad to not suffer the same thing today  :#
  • Options
    All over. This has come about purely because they wanted to see the morning session out rather than bat through it. If they had got to the end of that session at 170/80 which was achievable the pressure would’ve been on India. 
  • Options
    That run-out was decisive in my opinion. You can't be doing that on a day like today, with the match situation as it was. Such a disappointment as I really thought we could win this after last night, was expecting a Burns / Root / Pope ton and the others to contribute enough to get us over the line. 
  • Options
    I think India's bowling and pressure has been excellent. 
  • Options
    All over. This has come about purely because they wanted to see the morning session out rather than bat through it. If they had got to the end of that session at 170/80 which was achievable the pressure would’ve been on India. 
    This all day long.

We were going nowhere so Kholi could put pressure on the batters. We needed to get runs- knock the bowler off his rhythm. Not just block block block..
  • Options
    Not even England could lose 80 wickets in a session!
    They just went 4 wickets for 6 runs in about 10 minutes. Pretty sure they could!
  • Options
    I already have donned my coat...

...but is this partly due to the England batters' lack of red ball cricket this summer ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we’d have gone for it we’d have failed as well but quicker 
    Risk reward 
    they’re not stupid they go the rooooooute they believe gives them the best chances 

• Options
    England today .. suicidal running and an inability to defend straight balls .. although Bumrah is continuing to show that he is a formidable bowler
  • Options
    If we’d have gone for it we’d have failed as well but quicker 
    Risk reward 
    they’re not stupid they go the rooooooute they believe gives them the best chances 

Possibly. But there is somewhere in between “going for it” and blocking out completely. The pitch really did nothing in that morning session so if we had batted at normal tempo then it would have put more pressure on India. Hindsight obviously is a wonderful thing. 
  • Options
    England today .. suicidal running and an inability to defend straight balls .. although Bumrah is continuing to show that he is a formidable bowler
    How many Yorkers did our bowlers bowl to their tail enders when they were hitting us to all parts. Their last 2 pairings put on almost 150 runs. Could & should have been chasing 230 once Kholi was out yesterday. 
  • Options
    Malan wasn't looking to score or the quick singles which is why he got run out. He was literally rocking on his bat with no forward momentum whatsoever. He would never had done that in white ball but there are times in both codes where he literally has just two speeds - dot and boundary!
  • Options

...but is this partly due to the England batters' lack of red ball cricket this summer ? 
    Big time. Along with our tendency to bottle it (not including Stokes and Leach, of course.) But also due to the pitch - let's be honest, it was flat yesterday, and its turning and reversing today.
  • Options
    The Umpires really shouldn't be allowing any fielder to shadow bat at the crease such as has been done in the drinks break
  • Options
    How many Yorkers did our bowlers bowl to their tail enders when they were hitting us to all parts. Their last 2 pairings put on almost 150 runs. Could & should have been chasing 230 once Kholi was out yesterday. 
    Our inability to dispatch the tail / lower order ONCE AGAIN has come back to haunt us. How many times can this happen? I genuinely think we need a change of captaincy, because as things stand, we are not going to win a single series this year. Not good enough really is it.
  • Options
    I still dont think we can win this
  • Options
    felix_31 said:

Big time. Along with our tendency to bottle it (not including Stokes and Leach, of course.) But also due to the pitch - let's be honest, it was flat yesterday, and its turning and reversing today.
    That’s what tends to happen on the final day of a test which is why batting last should really be avoided at costs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I think India's bowling and pressure has been excellent. 
    Agreed, they have been very good since lunch, whereas we haven't been.
  • Options
    felix_31 said:

That’s what tends to happen on the final day of a test which is why batting last should really be avoided at costs 
    Its tricky isn't it... Do you bowl first innings with clouds overhead knowing you'll have to bat to win, or do you go into bat first knowing you might struggle to post a decent score but avoiding batting on the final day? 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    Our inability to dispatch the tail / lower order ONCE AGAIN has come back to haunt us. How many times can this happen? I genuinely think we need a change of captaincy, because as things stand, we are not going to win a single series this year. Not good enough really is it.
    * Can't remember whether SL series win was 2020 or 2021, been such a long year 
  • Options
    The draw is more than realistic.
  • Options
    England will tease us for a fair old while that a draw is possible won't they
  • Options
    The Umpires really shouldn't be allowing any fielder to shadow bat at the crease such as has been done in the drinks break
    This India team maybe Pant and Rohit Sharma aside are thoroughly unlikeable. There have been so many instances over this series where they play so close to and often going over the edge. 
  • Options
    This India team maybe Pant and Rohit Sharma aside are thoroughly unlikeable. There have been so many instances over this series where they play so close to and often going over the edge. 
    It's strange, they were quite likeable when they were beating Australia, funny how it works!
  • Options

Think all of the England top 8 have got 50’s in the series apart from Moen, and Root has scored approx 200 more runs than any other player on either side, so in my opinion not. 

Looks like it’s reversing today which makes it more difficult 
  • Options
    It's strange, they were quite likeable when they were beating Australia, funny how it works!
    A team usually follows their captain's lead.
  • Options
    The middle order need to hang their heads in shame. I don't care how well India have bowled you should not be losing 4 wickets for 10 runs or however many it was on that road