Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    A really interesting day's play. I regret not buying Day 5 tickets before today (they're sold out now) as tomorrow should be really interesting. If England can avoid giving away cheap wickets, we know the likes of Root, Bairstow and Pope will score more quickly than Burns and Hameed

Annoyingly only one stall sold Cask Ale (unlike in previous years), though it was at the "bargain" price of £6.20, when compared to the standard £6.50 or £6.80 for the Craft Ale...
  • Options
    Been such a good Test, twisting and turning and will likely go late in the day with at least 2 results possible.

Still see an England win as third favourite but you never know....
    Agreed. Highest successful run chase at the Oval is 263. We're going to have to obliterate that.
    Different day, different times, different wicket.

What will probably do us is being too negative. Watching the last few overs this evening & Burns trying just to knock it away - those will be catches to short leg tomorrow.

Should be able to get 75/85 runs in the first 2 sessions meaning needing to get 120-odd in the last. Wickets in hand its should be possible. If we are 6 down at tea then probably need to hang on for the draw.

I reckon it's currently-

India 55%
    England 35%
    Draw 9%
    Tie     1%
    The true odds on offer are:

India 33%
    England 26%
    Draw 41% 
    Tie - no offers

So, by those odds, you should be backing India @ 3.05 on Betfair (2/1)
    Lay the draw surely? Will definitely trade higher than 6/4 during the course of tomorrow you’d think..!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    A really interesting day's play. I regret not buying Day 5 tickets before today (they're sold out now) as tomorrow should be really interesting. If England can avoid giving away cheap wickets, we know the likes of Root, Bairstow and Pope will score more quickly than Burns and Hameed

Annoyingly only one stall sold Cask Ale (unlike in previous years), though it was at the "bargain" price of £6.20, when compared to the standard £6.50 or £6.80 for the Craft Ale...
    Yep I considered it while I was there Thursday, then when 13 wickets fell I thought it would be a bit pointless. 

Regret that now!
  • Options

Yep I considered it while I was there Thursday, then when 13 wickets fell I thought it would be a bit pointless. 

Regret that now!
    I considered buying them last night, but there was always the possibility of the game moving forward a lot more quickly today, with India getting out earlier and England slumping
  • Options
    Can’t see England batting out the day and especially chasing down that score . It’s as rare as rocking horse shit that that happens. 
    I hope I’m wrong . If we get to lunch with just one wicket down then who knows ? 
  • Options
    Can’t see England batting out the day and especially chasing down that score . It’s as rare as rocking horse shit that that happens. 
    I hope I’m wrong . If we get to lunch with just one wicket down then who knows ? 
    This.
    Our trouble of course is our propensity to collapse.
    India to win for me, if not a draw and England with a 5% chance. 
  • Options
    England will never have a better chance of chasing down such a big total though, as that pitch is really flat. Taking 10 wickets in 90 overs won't be easy, and England don't need to go mad to score at the required run rate either
  • Options
    Been such a good Test, twisting and turning and will likely go late in the day with at least 2 results possible.

Still see an England win as third favourite but you never know....
    Agreed. Highest successful run chase at the Oval is 263. We're going to have to obliterate that.
    Different day, different times, different wicket.

What will probably do us is being too negative. Watching the last few overs this evening & Burns trying just to knock it away - those will be catches to short leg tomorrow.

Should be able to get 75/85 runs in the first 2 sessions meaning needing to get 120-odd in the last. Wickets in hand its should be possible. If we are 6 down at tea then probably need to hang on for the draw.

I reckon it's currently-

India 55%
    England 35%
    Draw 9%
    Tie     1%
    The true odds on offer are:

India 33%
    England 26%
    Draw 41% 
    Tie - no offers

So, by those odds, you should be backing India @ 3.05 on Betfair (2/1)
    Lay the draw surely? Will definitely trade higher than 6/4 during the course of tomorrow you’d think..!
    You would think so but let's say, on a flat wicket and with a draw suiting both sides, no wicket falls in the first hour and we only score 25 or so? The draw would be odds on at that point. It's likely that we won't have a good go until the final session and even if we do it would only take the loss of a couple of wickets at that point to shut up shop again. 
  • Options
    England will never have a better chance of chasing down such a big total though, as that pitch is really flat. Taking 10 wickets in 90 overs won't be easy, and England don't need to go mad to score at the required run rate either
    True but I can see us losing a couple early and either digging in to get nowhere near the total but get a draw, or (more likely) then panicking and losing a few more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    lolwray said:
    4 pints of lager and a cider with the glass addition cost me 36.00 .
    I couldn’t keep up with the big boys but 3 of my mates had 13 pints of Guinness by the time we left the ground (and we then went out for the evening).

Hope you see a fair few wickets today 
    So how did you find it?

Many people struggle with the whole concept watching cricket all day with not a lot happening. I love it. I've had some of my best days when it's been mediocre on the pitch.

Test cricket is a cracking day out!
    Yeah I enjoyed it, the day was fairly flat action wise.  we had a great laugh but we were side on (about 15 -20 rows in front of the trumpet) I literally couldn’t see the ball! It was as if mime cricket was being played, I’d see Jimmy run in, the batsman wave his bat and then i’d either pick up the the ball once it’s left the square, or I’d go oooh a couple of seconds after the rest of the crowd went oooh :-)

Maybe if I was in a higher row / stand or in a different position it might have been easier. Otherwise white ball cricket might have to be the way forward for me.

Having had a lifetime of slumming it going to football, was really surprised at just how middle class the crowd was. 

• Options
    Yes that's the trouble with sitting side on, it's difficult to see the ball from the fast bowlers.
  • Options
    all set up for a great day of cricket - a good test match is still far superior to any other version of the game. Can’t see beyond an India win though. Having a lumpy bet (for me) on them at 2/1 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    4 pints of lager and a cider with the glass addition cost me 36.00 .
    I couldn’t keep up with the big boys but 3 of my mates had 13 pints of Guinness by the time we left the ground (and we then went out for the evening).

Hope you see a fair few wickets today 
    So how did you find it?

Many people struggle with the whole concept watching cricket all day with not a lot happening. I love it. I've had some of my best days when it's been mediocre on the pitch.

Test cricket is a cracking day out!
    Yeah I enjoyed it, the day was fairly flat action wise.  we had a great laugh but we were side on (about 15 -20 rows in front of the trumpet) I literally couldn’t see the ball! It was as if mime cricket was being played, I’d see Jimmy run in, the batsman wave his bat and then i’d either pick up the the ball once it’s left the square, or I’d go oooh a couple of seconds after the rest of the crowd went oooh :-)

Maybe if I was in a higher row / stand or in a different position it might have been easier. Otherwise white ball cricket might have to be the way forward for me.

Having had a lifetime of slumming it going to football, was really surprised at just how middle class the crowd was. 

You're not unique in that respect as  all spectators do for fast bowlers especially. The reaction time for a batsman facing a ball at 85mph is less than half a second - which is why a batsman has to learn to sight the ball from a combination of the bowler's wrist position, release point and arm speed. 
  • Options
    I must admit to losing where the ball went at times. I think The Oval is a difficult ground to field in for that reason

Losing the ball is more dangerous in a white ball game where there's a greater chance of the ball ending up in the crowd!
  • Options
    Indian's refusal to pick their best spinner will cost them more than England's will cost them, imo
  • Options
    Kohli deserves nothing less than seeing England march to this target for his treatment of one of the most exciting bowlers of our age 
  • Options
    No part of me can see England reaching this target. We bat relatively deep, Robinson at 10 is superb but you can see 3 down quickly becoming 6 down and then a crumble. I'm estimating around an 80 run defeat. 
  • Options
    Days like tomorrow always seem to be a let down. You think all England need to do is bat sensibly for the first 90 mins, see off the main bowlers & then grow in confidence.

What usually happens is within the first 10-15 mins 2 wickets go down & suddenly no's 3 & 4 are batting to save the match. The run rate slows to a crawl & before you know it its lunch and instead of 150 for 1 or 2 its 120 for 4. 

Something similar happened 2 years ago. Only thing that saved England that day was Ben Stokes. As he is currently sitting at home with his feet up I dont think history will repeat itself. 
  • Options
    If England win this match it will be one of the largest 4th innings wins ever. I think there have been 9 bigger run chases ever during very many tests.

I fully expect us to lose some early wickets but if we don’t, and our frequent collapse doesn’t materialise, this would be a fantastic demonstration, 

Win, lose or draw this has been a great game of cricket and I’m ‘rooting’ for England. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must admit to losing where the ball went at times. I think The Oval is a difficult ground to field in for that reason

Losing the ball is more dangerous in a white ball game where there's a greater chance of the ball ending up in the crowd!
    I dont know if its just me but the Oval is by far the worst for side on visibility.  I dont suffer it at Lords, Trent Bridge, Headingley, Edgbaston or Newlands.

Had a much better experience watching from the OCS stand but getting a test match ticket up there would be like gold dust.
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9959701/India-head-coach-Ravi-Shastri-tests-positive-Covid-19-Oval-Test-England-goes-on.html

It seems Shastri caught Covid at a book launch on Tuesday, an event where many of the players were there as well. The whole squad will only have the PCR test after this game finishes
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    History is against England but the flat pitch and scorching weather are not 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I dont know if its just me but the Oval is by far the worst for side on visibility.  I dont suffer it at Lords, Trent Bridge, Headingley, Edgbaston or Newlands.

Had a much better experience watching from the OCS stand but getting a test match ticket up there would be like gold dust.
    The only place with a worse side on view than the Oval is Edgbaston, from the Hollies Stand, in a day-night Test. You're basically staring directly at the setting sun for a whole session. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chizz said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

The only place with a worse side on view than the Oval is Edgbaston, from the Hollies Stand, in a day-night Test. You're basically staring directly at the setting sun for a whole session. 
    Have yet to experience a day/nighter.  Only game under floodlights I've seen there was T20 finals day when Kent won about 13-14 years ago now and we was in the old stand opposite the pavillion.
  • Options
    I was on the opposite side of the pitch to AFKABartram, so had the sun on my back all day until it dipped below the houses. Perfect if you want a suntanned/burnt neck  :D
  • Options
    If past form is anything to go by, an early afternoon collapse is on the cards. Surprised India are such attractive odds to be honest. 
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9959701/India-head-coach-Ravi-Shastri-tests-positive-Covid-19-Oval-Test-England-goes-on.html

It seems Shastri caught Covid at a book launch on Tuesday, an event where many of the players were there as well. The whole squad will only have the PCR test after this game finishes
    Not like in Golf then. A few months ago John Rahm was in contact with a positive case & they said he could remain in the competition until & if he tested positive. He was 6 shots clear after the 3rd round......came off the course & was tested positive. He had to withdraw overnight.

Imagine if the same happened today. India at tea are on the verge of winning & 3 of their players test positive. They cant take the field & the game given to England. 

Would never happen. 
  • Options
    England must be lay of the century at 3.55 on betfair 
    they’re never getting these runs 
  • Options
    There's too much hope that Malan, Root, Bairstow turn into T20 but with a red ball and different field settings.