Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• New ball soon.

If these two stay in for another hour....
  • felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:
    I already have donned my coat...

...but is this partly due to the England batters' lack of red ball cricket this summer ? 
    Big time. Along with our tendency to bottle it (not including Stokes and Leach, of course.) But also due to the pitch - let's be honest, it was flat yesterday, and its turning and reversing today.
    That’s what tends to happen on the final day of a test which is why batting last should really be avoided at costs 
    Its tricky isn't it... Do you bowl first innings with clouds overhead knowing you'll have to bat to win, or do you go into bat first knowing you might struggle to post a decent score but avoiding batting on the final day? 
    Joe Root is England's most successful Test captain ever.  Who would you choose to replace him?
  • mendonca said:
    The draw is more than realistic.
    Not now, sadly.
  • Any chance of saving the game has surely gone now Root's out.
  • See the test out Rooot 
    no need to get bat on ball 
  • Large and Large will have to save this game now. 
  • See the test out Rooot 
    Playing down to 3rd man is usually meat and drink for him.

The pressure of the days play and noise seem to have hit England hard. You'd think they're the away team listening to the noise!
  • felix_31 said:

...but is this partly due to the England batters' lack of red ball cricket this summer ? 
    Big time. Along with our tendency to bottle it (not including Stokes and Leach, of course.) But also due to the pitch - let's be honest, it was flat yesterday, and its turning and reversing today.
    That’s what tends to happen on the final day of a test which is why batting last should really be avoided at costs 
    It looks like England will lose twice batting last on the 5th day this series
  • edited September 2021
    Chizz said:
    felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:

Its tricky isn't it... Do you bowl first innings with clouds overhead knowing you'll have to bat to win, or do you go into bat first knowing you might struggle to post a decent score but avoiding batting on the final day? 
    Joe Root is England's most successful Test captain ever.  Who would you choose to replace him?
    Is he?  Just by being there longer than a few others?  Brearly & Vaughan both won more of their Tests I think?  Maybe Strauss too, certainly lost less.
  • mendonca said:
    See the test out Rooot 
    Playing down to 3rd man is usually meat and drink for him.

The pressure of the days play and noise seem to have hit England hard. You'd think they're the away team listening to the noise!
    The Indian fans are naturally noisier anyway, but easier to make noise when you're the team chasing the win (and winning) as opposed to the team trying to cling on for a draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:

Is he?  Just by being there longer than a few others?  Brearly & Vaughan both won more of their Tests I think?  Maybe Strauss too, certainly lost less.
    Root 27 
    Vaughan 26 
    Cook, Strauss 24 
    May 20 
    Brearley 18 

Who would you choose to replace Root?  

For the record, the only player still playing cricket to have captained England in a Test match is Ben Stokes.  Hos career record is 0% wins. 
  • The problem is not with Root but having too many players that you expect to fail.
  • One issue I have of England management and captaincy is the will to overuse and inadvertently injure pace bowlers. 
  • edited September 2021
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:

Root 27 
    Vaughan 26 
    Cook, Strauss 24 
    May 20 
    Brearley 18 

Who would you choose to replace Root?  

For the record, the only player still playing cricket to have captained England in a Test match is Ben Stokes.  Hos career record is 0% wins. 
    Two different points here.

a) Is winning the most Tests regardless of how many you played the best barometer?

Just checked, Brearly's win/loss ratio was 4.5, Vaughan 2.36, Strauss 2.18, Root is 1.35.  

I wouldn't call him the most successful England captain ever, which was my point.  I didn't say I'd replace Root (and I wouldn't, there's really no one else around at the moment).

b) You can't suggest because someone hasn't captained England before they's automatically be worse.  I wouldn't replace Root, but the bit in bold is daft.  Good to see you added the % in though, rather than just 0 wins, that would seem to back up point a).
  • I can't imagine India needing much motivation to get Overton and Robinson out.
  • England play far more Tests than they used to, and a lot of the countries are very weak in Tests now, so England will always win a lot of games. The likes of West Indies, Sri Lanka, S Africa are a shadow of the Test sides they were
  • edited September 2021
    You need to give players a chance but maybe whilst you can, or should, afford to build up a couple of players, there are generally four to six unreliable scorers  playing in every test so you are over reliant on the others.
  • felix_31 said:

I love Shane Warne's comment on day 1 about what a certain Aussie captain used to say about winning the toss.

9 times out of 10 I would chose to bat first.....the 10th time I would think about it....and then decide to bat. 
  • Any rain forecast?
  • bobmunro said:
    Any rain forecast?
    Yes, on Thursday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bumrah extracting bounce.
  • Bumrah has been outstanding.
  • mendonca said:
    Bumrah extracting bounce.
    Extracting more than that I would suggest!
  • It's not really a discussion point but, so far as captaincy is concerned, there isn't a single player, bar Root, who is currently guaranteed their place in side. It can't be a bowler because they get injured (and are rotated anyway) and none of our batsmen have currently proved themselves.

I would like to see us bat first but Root would rather lose a Test on the last day than, effectively and with our batting as brittle as it is, losing it on the first. That said, we  shouldn't be 200-8 having been 100-0!
  • edited September 2021
    Lumps holding it together for now.

New ball time...

Wicket.
  • Anderson off the mark, only 165 to go.
  • the end is nigh .. and England's 'alternative cupboard' for Old Trafford is rather bare
  • India found it very easy to bowl on this pitch yet we struggled.We lost this test from the moment they went past 99 2nd innings.we made it easy for them.Another woeful England performance and i am dreading another 5-0 drubbing in Australia.Feel for Root.Something needs to be sorted out upstairs and the ECB need to take a hard long look at themselves.Pathetic.
  • India found it very easy to bowl on this pitch yet we struggled.We lost this test from the moment they went past 99 2nd innings.we made it easy for them.Another woeful England performance and i am dreading another 5-0 drubbing in Australia.Feel for Root.Something needs to be sorted out upstairs and the ECB need to take a hard long look at themselves.Pathetic.
    Australia aren't very strong at the moment. I wouldn't expect to see a 5-0 drubbing at all.
  • Abolish the 100 and play red ball cricket in the month's that matter. 

Won't happen I know.