Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    Which team was it that called their games off last year due to covid when they were in a terrible run of form, Lincoln? Then they came back and started winning again.
    I'm not aware of any EFL disciplinary action caused by teams abusing Covid rules last season...
  • Options
    Which team was it that called their games off last year due to covid when they were in a terrible run of form, Lincoln? Then they came back and started winning again.
    I don't know but pretty sure @golfaddick will know 
    Golfie accused them of playing fast and loose with the rules to get their game postponed against us because they were in bad form and had a key player injured.

We beat them 3-1 in the rearranged fixture. 
  • Options
    Golfie accused them of playing fast and loose with the rules to get their game postponed against us because they were in bad form and had a key player injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Lincoln_City_F.C._season#Results_by_matchday

It is pretty noticeable though when you look at their poor form up to the 26th Match, and contrast it with their good form from the 10th April when they resumed after 2 week break
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Lincoln_City_F.C._season#Results_by_matchday

It is pretty noticeable though when you look at their poor form up to the 26th Match, and contrast it with their good form from the 10th April when they resumed after 2 week break
    Yeah, it did indeed to be fair. But ultimately they lost to us, and didn’t go up, and are now sitting 19th. So didn’t work out for them in the long term. 
  • Options

Yeah, it did indeed to be fair. But ultimately they lost to us, and didn’t go up, and are now sitting 19th. So didn’t work out for them in the long term. 
    They pipped us to the playoffs by 3 points, and slightly better GD. Without the break, they could easily have dropped 4 points and missed out
    Their form was shocking prior to stopping due to COVID - Only lost against us and Hull upon their return - As they also got Jorge Grant back from injury.

It probably was coincidence but had they continued then I certain we'd have taken their place in the Play-Offs 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Gillingham v Ipswich on Boxing Day postponed
    So, lets assume its Gillingham that have the Covid cases then those players will have to isolate for 7 days & then fit to play us next Wednesday. On the other hand, we decide to forge ahead with our game against Wimbledon, playing Burstow & Davison in attack because Stockley now has Covid & Washington hasn't recovered significantly enough to play, and we lose because our forward line is weakened. We then play a rejuvenated Gillingham & lose that one because we played 3 days prior & they have had a 10 day break. 

All happy at the back ?  Good stuff .
    Or we win and  beat gills as well as we're in form. None of us know how it'll play out, we don't even know if we'll have a weakened team on Boxing Day!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:
    So, lets assume its Gillingham that have the Covid cases then those players will have to isolate for 7 days & then fit to play us next Wednesday. On the other hand, we decide to forge ahead with our game against Wimbledon, playing Burstow & Davison in attack because Stockley now has Covid & Washington hasn't recovered significantly enough to play, and we lose because our forward line is weakened. We then play a rejuvenated Gillingham & lose that one because we played 3 days prior & they have had a 10 day break. 

Or we win and  beat gills as well as we're in form. None of us know how it'll play out, we don't even know if we'll have a weakened team on Boxing Day!
    I agree we don't, but from what is coming out from the club I doubt its Kirk, Morgan & Watson who've gone down with it as Jackson had been taking about preparation for upcoming games. 
  • Options
    Not many face masks on show in the crowd at WHL. Wouldnt you wear one for your own peace of mind?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:

I agree we don't, but from what is coming out from the club I doubt its Kirk, Morgan & Watson who've gone down with it as Jackson had been taking about preparation for upcoming games. 
    We also saw Inniss, Stockley, Dobson, Famewo, Washington, DJ and Purrington amongst others in todays video so can assume they are not at home self isolating
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not aware of any EFL disciplinary action caused by teams abusing Covid rules last season...
    Yeah, funny that.

At least now the EFL have come out with their "rules" over when a game can be called off. I'm hoping then that all these teams calling matches off are transparent with the numbers (not names if they would rather not publish those) just so we all know its 100% kosher. No reason not to surely. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Ah but your forgetting that, crucially, Johnnie Jackson might receive a magical elixir for Christmas that allows him to turn back the physical age of both Clive Mendonca and Derek Hales. With the two legendary strikers now forming Charlton’s front line we could go on to win every remaining match of the season and are promoted back to the Championship.

Aside from the hypotheticals, we’re a football team and if we can play a match we should.  
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Not many face masks on show in the crowd at WHL. Wouldnt you wear one for your own peace of mind?
    No.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:

We also saw Inniss, Stockley, Dobson, Famewo, Washington, DJ and Purrington amongst others in todays video so can assume they are not at home self isolating
    Not filmed today I assume? Washington and Famewo were 2 of the players with Covid who wouldn't be back yet
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Ah but your forgetting that, crucially, Johnnie Jackson might receive a magical elixir for Christmas that allows him to turn back the physical age of both Clive Mendonca and Derek Hales. With the two legendary strikers now forming Charlton’s front line we could go on to win every remaining match of the season and are promoted back to the Championship.

Aside from the hypotheticals, we’re a football team and if we can play a match we should.  
    Depends on your definition of   "if we can play a match...."  ??

Having 11 first teamers fit  ?

Having 11 players fit, even if that includes U23's   ?

Having 14 players fit ?  (The EFL stance)

• Options
    Games during international breaks only need 3 players to be called up and the game is postponed, why are the same rules not applied to players mising due to covid?  
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Games during international breaks only need 3 players to be called up and the game is postponed, why are the same rules not applied to players mising due to covid?  
    Probably because another footballing body taking your players isn’t fair. A classified injury is just bad luck.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Because 3 players is a pretty low threshold & if that was the case virtually all games would be called off. Also I would like to think the EFL had grown some balls & decided that some clubs last year were taking the piss (Yes Lincoln, I'm looking at you) and now having 7 or 8 players missing would be harder to "doctor". 
  • Options
    WSA said:
    My mental health is better if the game is on.
    Not after the 90 minutes though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Probably because another footballing body taking your players isn’t fair. A classified injury is just bad luck.
    Another difference is if you test positive for COVID you can't play.  Full stop.  The manager, player, medical staff can't say well stick him on the bench he might be able to give us 10 minutes in an emergency.  

They can't play for 10 days even if there is nothing physically wrong with them. 
  • Options
    Liverpool v Leeds and Wolves V Watford off
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Mental health argument stopped counting last year IMO. Remember last year when people were saying wanting to see family over Xmas was selfish, and Christmas was just a bit of Turkey. Just saying we can’t pick and choose when to throw that around.
    Nothing selfish about seeing family, admittedly some may find that same support at the match from friends. Its a massive grey area/issue that needs traversing.

I've simply stated that I think stopping fans travelling for a week or 2, could help keep numbers down and help prevent another full blown lockdown. Why that makes people so angry I don't know 

You really don't know why people are angry?!

I've put my opinion on the other threads. I'm not making any further comment here.
  • Options
    Onto the football aspect and the claim that Boxing Day is the most important fixture of the year.
    For overseas TV I think he's right about that. I don't think that any other country plays this weekend, do they?
    Funnily, my client yesterday thought that the term Boxing Day was a football marketing term. He didn't realise that it's pretty much Christmas Day 2 in the UK.

• Options
    Millwall vs Swansea off
  • Options
    More games called off

Fulham vs Birmingham
    Preston vs Sheff Utd

A number of midweek games are off too, a couple in L2 plus Cambridge vs Doncaster (on the 30th)

• Options
    Perhaps they get peace of mind from not wearing one and enjoying themselves
  • Options
    This is making score predictions a nightmare!

I made 8 predictions, as per the advice from @thai malaysia addick , and within 2 hours, 4 of those games had been called off  :D
  • Options
    Perhaps they get peace of mind from not wearing one and enjoying themselves
    Wasnt aware that wearing a mask stopped people enjoying themselves. My apologies.