Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    There are no new rules in England before Christmas, so you imagine Boxing Day games will be as normal (assuming they happen)

New rules may come in after Christmas though, presumably on the 27th
  • Options
    I can see it being the 29th, as the two days before are Bank Holidays with people already having plans in place etc. First ‘working day’ back would be my guess.
  • Options
    It is quite possible that after the Christmas gatherings,there will be surge in covid cases,personally,I would have knocked all spectator attended sports on the head for 2 weeks,just to see if this bastard disease could be slowed down.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    shine166 said:
    Belv said:
    shine166 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    shine166 said:

Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    At very minimum, fans need to be stopped from attending until late Jan 
    People practically begging for a lockdown at this point.
    It’s Embarrassing 
    What's actually embarrassing, is people like you that can't tell, that others want to try and avoid a complete lockdown. Mental health, is more important than going to a game of football. 
    No one is stopping you staying at home. 
    I am for the next couple games, bit I'd prefer to not have to do it for the next 6 weeks (as I keep saying) 
    You literally said the complete opposite.

Oh yeah, so.i did

'What's actually embarrassing, is people like you that can't tell, that others want to try and avoid a complete lockdown. Mental health, is more important than going to a game of football.'
    "At a very minimum, fans need to be stopped from attending until late Jan" (As bolded in my post, which you conveniently ignored)

At a very minimum you said, you're even suggesting it should possibly go on for longer than 6 weeks.

Here is an idea, all the people that want to stay at home for 6 weeks can and all those who want to go to football for 6 weeks can. Frankly, I'm getting tired of people deciding for me whether I should be allowed to go to football or not, the only person who should be making that decision is me.
    Would that scenario include players?
  • Options
    Belv said:
    shine166 said:
    Belv said:
    shine166 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    shine166 said:

Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    At very minimum, fans need to be stopped from attending until late Jan 
    People practically begging for a lockdown at this point.
    It’s Embarrassing 
    What's actually embarrassing, is people like you that can't tell, that others want to try and avoid a complete lockdown. Mental health, is more important than going to a game of football. 
    No one is stopping you staying at home. 
    I am for the next couple games, bit I'd prefer to not have to do it for the next 6 weeks (as I keep saying) 
    You literally said the complete opposite.

Oh yeah, so.i did

'What's actually embarrassing, is people like you that can't tell, that others want to try and avoid a complete lockdown. Mental health, is more important than going to a game of football.'
    "At a very minimum, fans need to be stopped from attending until late Jan" (As bolded in my post, which you conveniently ignored)

At a very minimum you said, you're even suggesting it should possibly go on for longer than 6 weeks.

Here is an idea, all the people that want to stay at home for 6 weeks can and all those who want to go to football for 6 weeks can. Frankly, I'm getting tired of people deciding for me whether I should be allowed to go to football or not, the only person who should be making that decision is me.
    Would that scenario include players?
    Why would it include players?

It's their job and as far as I'm aware they are unable to do that job from home.
  • Options
    Based on last season and this, it feels like we're one of the few clubs who actually try to get on with things as normal - Will hold my hands up if I'm wrong as we dont have the exposure into the goings on at other clubs. But feels too many try to use it as an excuse.

Certainly isnt something I'd ever argue with Golfie over!!
  • Options
    Isolation period now being shorter might help us. Fingers crossed we can get the boxing day game on!
  • Options
    It would be far better for the club to postpone the game and get all our players fit for a new year attack on the playoffs. Already we have played more games than some other clubs so let the players rest and recuperate plus some of our injured players maybe becoming available.
    So a few supporters can't go to Wimbledon on 26th, surely that is a price worth paying to be able to play a full strength team later.
  • Options
    It would be far better for the club to postpone the game and get all our players fit for a new year attack on the playoffs. Already we have played more games than some other clubs so let the players rest and recuperate plus some of our injured players maybe becoming available.
    So a few supporters can't go to Wimbledon on 26th, surely that is a price worth paying to be able to play a full strength team later.
    plus it took weeks for Gilbey to recover from Covid, the longer we can give players to do so the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    plus it took weeks for Gilbey to recover from Covid, the longer we can give players to do so the better.
    And you think JJ and team haven’t considered this too?!!

Up to the club to make this decision. 
  • Options
    I want the game to go ahead, but only if we can put out a sensible side. It would be ridiculous to put out a team of kids and flops, and lose 4-0 to Wimbledon
  • Options
    Belv said:
    No.

I'd rather watch the u23s on Boxing Day in front of fans than a full strength side potentially on a stream.

Always admire people's optimism when they say we'll be full strength later on, especially when this game will be played late Jan/Feb at the earliest.
    Have the women not got a game on boxing day you could watch?
  • Options
    Belv said:
    No.

I'd rather watch the u23s on Boxing Day in front of fans than a full strength side potentially on a stream.

Always admire people's optimism when they say we'll be full strength later on, especially when this game will be played late Jan/Feb at the earliest.
    Are you saying this just because its boxing day?
    Or would you be happy to watch the u23s for the rest of the season if it meant not having to watch on a stream?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Belv said:
    No.

No, but the ladies may have.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Belv said:
    No.

Not a clue.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Belv said:
    No.

Or would you be happy to watch the u23s for the rest of the season if it meant not having to watch on a stream?
    Wouldn't be happy about it but I'd rather be at the match regardless, absolutely.

People want these games called off, to all then try and be crammed in and still expect us to have a full strength side. 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    clb74 said:
    Belv said:
    No.

Wouldn't be happy about it but I'd rather be at the match regardless, absolutely.

People want these games called off, to all then try and be crammed in and still expect us to have a full strength side. 
    I think it’s more a case of people not wanting to us to have less chance of winning by fielding teams that would be clearly under strength. 
    Fair enough and I want us to have the best chance of winning but that's football, no different to an injury crisis, can't go looking to postpone games every time a couple of your better players aren't available.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why are we trying to get a game on with an under strength side when everyone else will call theirs off - madness 
    It's the Charlton way Eltham.
  • Options
    Why are we trying to get a game on with an under strength side when everyone else will call theirs off - madness 
    We're not.

We're waiting to see who will be available which is the right thing to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Get the game played. If we were to try and be clever by postponing things when it doesn’t quite suit us then it will likely bite us again later down the line anyway.

If a few players have COVID now then what’s stopping a few players having COVID at the rescheduled date? 

It’s a situation that all teams are going through so it’s not as if we’re always going to be disadvantaged. 

The idea of cramming all the postponed games into a short period of time isn’t a good one IMO, as it will only lead to injuries - which provides us with exactly the same problem.

And from a non footballing perspective, I would also prefer seeing an under strength side play rather than watching anything over a stream/having postponements.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Get the game played. If we were to try and be clever by postponing things when it doesn’t quite suit us then it will likely bite us again later down the line anyway.

If a few players have COVID now then what’s stopping a few players having COVID at the rescheduled date? 

It’s a situation that all teams are going through so it’s not as if we’re always going to be disadvantaged. 

The idea of cramming all the postponed games into a short period of time isn’t a good one IMO, as it will only lead to injuries - which provides us with exactly the same problem.

And from a non footballing perspective, I would also prefer seeing an under strength side play rather than watching anything over a stream/having postponements.
    No one is trying to be clever here. If we have enough players the game is played. If we don’t have enough re players on positive covid cases, then the game is off.

• Options
    We're not making the playoffs anyway, and how many seasons are we going to have to hear a line about waiting til we have bodies back? 

If football goes back behind closed doors I'd rather they binned it off until fans were back in anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Belv said:
    We're not.

You were advocating cracking on with our youth team an hour ago!
  • Options
    I want the game to go ahead, but only if we can put out a sensible side. It would be ridiculous to put out a team of kids and flops, and lose 4-0 to Wimbledon
    We have "adequate " squad players so we wont need to put out kids & flops  - but if we went into a few games without Stockley & Washington up front, Famewo & Clare in defence & Gilbey & Dobson in midfield then be prepared to lose those matches.

The EFL have made it quite clear what we need to have for a game to be called off (or should I say they have said how many players you need to have at your disposal for it to remain on). If we meet their criteria then I see no reason why we shouldn't inform the EFL and call a match off.

I would certainly prefer to miss Boxing Day / New Years day matches and play them later than attempt to play them with an inferior team. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    cafctom said

Well be prepared to lose against Wimbledon  Gillingham & Wycombe & then in 2 months time once all the other teams have played catch up find ourselves in a relegation battle. 

Bravo.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Belv said:
    We're not.

You were advocating cracking on with our youth team an hour ago!
    I said I’d rather watch the u23s in front of a crowd rather than potentially watching a full strength side on a stream.

I personally don’t agree with trying to get games postponed but seeing as it’s being allowed I can understand why a manager would be waiting to see who his available rather than just getting the game called off which some on here are calling for without even knowing who is or isn’t available.