Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    Belv said:
    se9addick said:
    Belv said:
    Why are we trying to get a game on with an under strength side when everyone else will call theirs off - madness 
    We're not.

We're waiting to see who will be available which is the right thing to do.
    You were advocating cracking on with our youth team an hour ago!
    I said I’d rather watch the u23s in front of a crowd rather than potentially watching a full strength side on a stream.
    Interesting thought. I reckon I’d be the opposite but absolutely no idea what the majority view would be. Might run a poll on it.
  • Options
    Though thinking about @Belv they wouldnt be the options, would they? As there is a good chance fans would still be able to attend a rescheduled game. 

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Though thinking about @Belv they wouldnt be the options, would they? As there is a good chance fans would still be able to attend a rescheduled game. 

Of course, and I’m hopeful we won’t have any BCD games that’s why I said “potentially”.

Either way, I still don’t like the idea of teams trying to cancel games because they have one or two key players missing, it doesn’t happen with injuries, it shouldn’t happen now.

Obviously if your squad is genuinely decimated by it, that’s entirely different.
  • Options
    I hope the match goes ahead because I wasn’t to go to a game on Boxing Day. I can’t really rationalise it any other way, might as well be honest. 
  • Options
    If we have 14 players then we cannot get the game called off.  The decision is not ours
  • Options
    I know that is the rules but if you have 14 players all defenders and defensive midfielders you still have to play ? 
  • Options
    No, you need one keeper in that 14
  • Options
    I know that is the rules but if you have 14 players all defenders and defensive midfielders you still have to play ? 
    Providing you have a keeper and you have 14 the league rules are the game goes ahead. Positions are effectively irrelevant 

No different if you have team with a vomiting bug and you were down to low numbers (Spurs at West Ham in the mid noughties)
  • Options
    I’ve not been following it all but Out of interest have the 11 EFL games for Boxing Day all been called off because a side can’t name 14 players?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve not been following it all but Out of interest have the 11 EFL games for Boxing Day all been called off because a side can’t name 14 players?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10317483/EFL-switching-Covid-red-protocols-Saturday-amid-Omicron-surge.html
  • Options
    I would be supprised if we play before the Norwich game tbh. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    cafctom said

And from a non footballing perspective, I would also prefer seeing an under strength side play rather than watching anything over a stream/having postponements.
    Well be prepared to lose against Wimbledon  Gillingham & Wycombe & then in 2 months time once all the other teams have played catch up find ourselves in a relegation battle. 

Bravo.
    Wimbledon, Gills, Wycombe and every other club are dealing with exactly the same issue. 

It also goes without saying that many clubs in League One will be desperate for games to go ahead, purely because they need the revenue from fans being in the ground. 

Cancellations lead to a greater chance of the game happening during a behind closed doors period. The effect of that on the club is much greater than whether a couple of players are available for us to win a match or not. 
  • Options
    Why are we trying to get a game on with an under strength side when everyone else will call theirs off - madness 
    There’s every chance Wimbledon will be the ones to bail out, 50/50 I’d say. 😷
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said

And from a non footballing perspective, I would also prefer seeing an under strength side play rather than watching anything over a stream/having postponements.
    Well be prepared to lose against Wimbledon  Gillingham & Wycombe & then in 2 months time once all the other teams have played catch up find ourselves in a relegation battle. 

Bravo.
    Wimbledon, Gills, Wycombe and every other club are dealing with exactly the same issue. 

It also goes without saying that many clubs in League One will be desperate for games to go ahead, purely because they need the revenue from fans being in the ground. 

Cancellations lead to a greater chance of the game happening during a behind closed doors period. The effect of that on the club is much greater than whether a couple of players are available for us to win a match or not. 
    You are of course correct but if you take the PL for example, some clubs seem to be managing/coping a lot better than others.

City and Arsenal have had hardly any cases, Spurs and Man U have had loads. Some clubs are calling games off and you have Arsenal fielding a first choice XI at Leeds and then being able to make 9 changes for their cup game last night.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would be supprised if we play before the Norwich game tbh. 
    So, if Norwich postponed the FA Cup game and the FA doesn't allow for replays, will they have to forfeit their 3rd round tie and we get a bye to the 4th round?
  • Options
    If we have key players out, it is not in our interests to play the game. 
  • Options
    Gillingham v Ipswich on Boxing Day postponed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said

Bravo.

You are of course correct but if you take the PL for example, some clubs seem to be managing/coping a lot better than others.

City and Arsenal have had hardly any cases, Spurs and Man U have had loads. Some clubs are calling games off and you have Arsenal fielding a first choice XI at Leeds and then being able to make 9 changes for their cup game last night.
    But that can happen in a non-COVID world as well, through injuries/suspensions. I recall the Championship season under Bowyer where our injury list was obscene and we had little fighting chance in some games.

I would agree that if it became a case where entire squads are being taken out because of COVID then a decision needs to be looked at, but not for 2-3 players here and there.

Ultimately, there are no rules around who is considered a teams better players and who aren’t. We can’t expect extra protection because Conor Washington is out as opposed to someone who isn’t as good. 
  • Options
    Vaccination rates in different leagues:

Premier League 68% (Oct figures) 
    EFL 59%

Bundasliga 94%
    France 95%
    La Liga 92.8%
    Serie A 98%

US Sports:
    MLS 95%
    NBA 90%
    NFL 93%
    EFL was up to around 75% with at least their first jab as of November. Which is still not great, but a pretty sizeable leap in such a short period. But unfortunately, it sounds like the EFL is pretty close to their cap. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59686996

But what we're seeing with Omicron is that breakthrough cases are the new normal. Now the early science is pretty clear: vaccinations and boosters drastically reduce the severity of illness and save lives. But what I think football is finding out, and what I think the UK and US are about to find out, is that you can't stop the spread based solely on vaccinations. And I don't think our respective Governments planned too much for this. 

Just so there's no ambiguity, get your jabs and your booster. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I think where the injury comparison falls down though is that muscle injuries aren't contagious and don't have a 3-5 day dormancy period where they don't show up on tests. I think we have to start thinking about it in terms of players who have tested positive, and players who have not tested positive but could potentially have it and we just don't know it yet.

I don't want to see games get canceled. I absolutely love football at this time of year. But I don't see how we start to slow things down until there's a break. Last week it felt like "let's just through the Boxing Day fixtures and then see where we are." Which, from a sentimental and admittedly business stand point makes sense, the Boxing Day fixtures are arguably the one fixture day of the year (apart from maybe the last day of the season) that you'd want to protect. But we didn't make it to Boxing Day without seeing an increase in cases. And now it's time to reassess. And I just can't see a way around having some sort of break. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    se9addick said:
    Gillingham v Ipswich on Boxing Day postponed
    So, lets assume its Gillingham that have the Covid cases then those players will have to isolate for 7 days & then fit to play us next Wednesday. On the other hand, we decide to forge ahead with our game against Wimbledon, playing Burstow & Davison in attack because Stockley now has Covid & Washington hasn't recovered significantly enough to play, and we lose because our forward line is weakened. We then play a rejuvenated Gillingham & lose that one because we played 3 days prior & they have had a 10 day break. 

All happy at the back ?  Good stuff .
  • Options
    Wednesday vs Burton and Wycombe vs Cambridge also off

Wycombe are our NYD opponents, it's Cambridge with the cases. 

And yes, it's Gillingham with the Covid cases. Given it's 7 days isolation, would the affected players be back for the 29th? They wouldn't be able to train at all
  • Options
    It's easier for those clubs out of the FA Cup, as they have a spare Saturday, the 8th Jan. That's when Gillingham vs Ipswich has been moved to
  • Options
    The bigger concern is where the games that need playing will fit in. I’m sure in the Premier League, with any teams in Europe, there are only 2 free midweeks? What about EFL teams who already play more midweek games? The season can’t be extended due to the Nations League, unless that gets cancelled. And next season can’t start later due to the World Cup.

Covid aside, the amount of games teams play nowadays has been spoken about for a long time now. However, this never used to appear to be an issue. Bigger squads? More rotation? Seasons slightly longer so there was more space for games?
  • Options
    Which team was it that called their games off last year due to covid when they were in a terrible run of form, Lincoln? Then they came back and started winning again.
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    Which team was it that called their games off last year due to covid when they were in a terrible run of form, Lincoln? Then they came back and started winning again.
    I don't know but pretty sure @golfaddick will know