Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How the Salary Cap Works - Scrapped 09/02/2021? (p2)

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully we can get Aneke on a longer contract, I'll be honest not sure I would look to extend anyone else from the first team squad at the moment apart from the loan players 
  • Options
    Apologies I was wrong, yes we did get a vote and, quite rightly, voted against it. I got muddled up with being under the transfer embargo which meant we couldn't sign anyone (on a decent wedge) before the cap came in.
    Still, to me, doesn't exonorate the poxy EFL.
  • Options
    Messy here we come!!
    We've been messy for quite some time now.
  • Options
    Great news! This has to be the first time that Gallen/Bowyer have a free hand in the transfer market subject to TS approval. 
  • Options
    Who actually proposed the cap in the first place, the member clubs that subsequently voted on it or the EFL? Did someone really not notice at any point that this might not actually have been legal (this forum at least certainly thought it was)
  • Options
    I really hope people don’t get carried away now the cap is gone. Sandgaard is a wealthy man but in comparison to other football owners, he’s not that wealthy

He’s already operating the club at a massive loss and is still optimising every aspect of the club from the top down. We need to be sustainable and not automatically look to spend money we don’t have. 

All in all, this is still great news for us. It really takes the pressure off this season and gives a strong platform to build on.
    Karen Brady published the wealth of all the championship owners a few months ago. I think your Thomas would be about the 15th wealthiest owner in that league, give or take. 

But a big fish in L1. This scrapping of the wage cap will be massive for you. Ridiculous rule to have in place anyway and totally unworkable. 

Sensible post about sustainability. 
    That's interesting, do you have a link to the article?

It's always a nightmare quantifying how much cash someone has to spend based solely on their business portfolio. 

Agree the cap was unworkable. I believe a certain type of cap could be good for football, but it has to be from the top down - starting from League One and Two just adds to the ever-increasing divide. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't we signed anyone yet?...
  • Options
    I really hope people don’t get carried away now the cap is gone. Sandgaard is a wealthy man but in comparison to other football owners, he’s not that wealthy

He’s already operating the club at a massive loss and is still optimising every aspect of the club from the top down. We need to be sustainable and not automatically look to spend money we don’t have. 

All in all, this is still great news for us. It really takes the pressure off this season and gives a strong platform to build on.
    Karen Brady published the wealth of all the championship owners a few months ago. I think your Thomas would be about the 15th wealthiest owner in that league, give or take. 

But a big fish in L1. This scrapping of the wage cap will be massive for you. Ridiculous rule to have in place anyway and totally unworkable. 

Sensible post about sustainability. 
    That's interesting, do you have a link to the article?

It's always a nightmare quantifying how much cash someone has to spend based solely on their business portfolio. 

Agree the cap was unworkable. I believe a certain type of cap could be good for football, but it has to be from the top down - starting from League One and Two just adds to the ever-increasing divide. 
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12823883/premier-league-efl-bailout-championship/
  • Options
    I can assure you Mel Morris ain't got £515m anymore.....
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Norwich get more in one year of parachute payments than the combined wealth of their 2 owners.

QPR have owners worth over 8bn yet hardly spend any money and are pretty shit.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It really takes the pressure off this season
    Not sure that will appease some of the posters on the "has Bowyer lost it" thread!
  • Options
    Thomas would be above Gibson?.
  • Options
    Norwich get more in one year of parachute payments than the combined wealth of their 2 owners.

QPR have owners worth 32bn yet hardly spend any money and are pretty shit.
    I think that's the total of all Championship clubs.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    The Coates family haven't got £6.9bn wealth either!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

QPR have owners worth 32bn yet hardly spend any money and are pretty shit.
    I think that's the total of all Championship clubs.
    Ah yes, edited.
  • Options
    Messy here we come!!
    Didnt we here that before with Southall
  • Options
    Sanity prevails.
  • Options
    Now the cap's gone can lower league clubs run themselves sustainably or are they going to return to pissing their revenues up the wall and bouncing in and out of administration? It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    He's prob got more, he's sold the stadium more times Maddison has swiped right on tinder. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Can I please try and summarise the situation. 

Am i right in thinking

>>>Cap removed
    >>>But transfer window over
    >>>Might be able to pick up a couple of loans or free agents (or offshore players?)
    >>>But definitely now an opportunity to tie valuable current squad members into new / permanent deals

If my summary is correct, really this is only good news for next season (if we're still in League 1) - right?

• Options
    How very surprising that the EFL didn’t think to consult with the PFA before asking the clubs vote for these changes, would never have associated them with such arrogance and incompetence! 

In all seriousness, common sense prevails and also LAW! The EFL were breaking employment law by placing this cap, any other organisation would have been sued, I agree English football needs proper governing but this cap was not the answer. How can you have the league one and two under a cap and the championship free to do what they want? There’s already a huge gap between the prem and the champ, imagine the gap between league 1 and the champ if this cap would have stayed in place? Ridiculous! Seeing fans of smaller clubs crying on Twitter is rather amusing though.