Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How the Salary Cap Works - Scrapped 09/02/2021? (p2)

Comments

• Options
    Can I please try and summarise the situation. 

Am i right in thinking

>>>Cap removed
    >>>But transfer window over
    >>>Might be able to pick up a couple of loans or free agents (or offshore players?)
    >>>But definitely now an opportunity to tie valuable current squad members into new / permanent deals

If my summary is correct, really this is only good news for next season (if we're still in League 1) - right?

Yes that's the basic situation. Doesn't help us much right here and now but certainly takes a certain amount of pressure off and helps make summer look potentially much more exciting.
  • Options
    Yes, the club's voted for it but the EFL could and should have 

1 advised the clubs in advance that it might break the rules and needed PFA approval.

2 as soon as the PFA challenged it suspended the cap until the independent arbitration was agreed.

3 if 1 and 2 weren't possible ensured that the arbitration was completed before the January window, not after.

The clubs are to blame but so are the EFL for showing no governance.

If the EFL club's voted for big teams to only have ten players to give the little clubs a chance (argument of the absurd) then the EFL can't hide behind "well, they voted for it.  The PFA made clear there was no rationale, no objective and that was rushed through but the EFL still allowed it

Cafc43v3r said:
    Are we really back at angry people shouting EFL at all of footballs wrongs.

The members proposed and voted for it.  The EFL didn't inflict it on them.  Then it was deemed unlawful so has been scrapped.  The timing of which is sod all to do with the EFL. They didn't delay it until after the transfer window shut for laughs. 

The EFL are shit and toothless but you can't blame EVERYTHING on them being shit and useless. 

Henry, whilst these are all valid points as we know the EFL is a trade organization, they are there to do the clubs bidding and to act as a buffer between the members and any possible negative blowback from those outside the organization. As they are not an independent body I fail to see how we can expect anything from them over and above carrying out the wishes of the 72. I would love some level of independence but I’m not sure if that’s wishful thinking.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    supaclive said:
    I can assure you Mel Morris ain't got £515m anymore.....
    The Coates family haven't got £6.9bn wealth either!
    That’s what they want you to think
  • Options
    For me the biggest relief is that if, as I suspect, we are not able to make it to the playoffs this year we stand a better chance of getting the players we need to go up next season.
  • Options
    Interesting that our owner is worth more than Norwich, Brentford and Watford's owners combined. Two of the 3 are extremely well run clubs. 

That list just goes to show your owner can have all the money in the world but it doesn't equate to success, you need a smart, passionate businessman at the helm and that's what I believe we have.

I really am excited for the next few years to see where we end up
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It does help us now. We can sort contracts out and turn 2 loanees to perm. It means less rebuilding over Summer as players' contracts will be signed and sealed sooner, rather than later.
    This seems to be the case here - we can sign up players and plan for the future a bit more.  If we can sign Shinnie and Stockley up on permanents that would be glorious - and Famewo if I am being greedy.

The thing that bugs me is the salary cap is not such a ludicrous idea because spending IS out of control in places however the implementation of it was typically woeful.  Whether there is time to benefit from it this season remains to be seen but I can imagine there are a lot of players, and their agents, feeling a bit more excited as they now hold the cards once again
  • Options
    I’m guessing players like Pearce and Deji can / will sign one year contract extensions?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Down side of the above decision is our owner will have to find more cash to do the increased club losses, and it is unlikely it will leed to a better squad. Just more money for workman like players.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Down side of the above decision is our owner will have to find more cash to do the increased club losses, and it is unlikely it will leed to a better squad. Just more money for workman like players.
    It doesnt have to though... No club will be forced to make signings if they dont have the money, felt that thr Salary Cap kind of ignored that fact.

Its like if everyone in my Son's class (when he's older) gets an Xbox for Christmas, he wouldnt get one for the sake of it, especially if I cant afford it
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    It doesnt have to though... No club will be forced to make signings if they dont have the money, felt that thr Salary Cap kind of ignored that fact.

Its like if everyone in my Son's class (when he's older) gets an Xbox for Christmas, he wouldnt get one for the sake of it, especially if I cant afford it
    Unfortunately in football when the reigns let off then logic goes out the window. Clubs that try not to spend to much loose out to those willing to run up huge debits no matter the risks. Or they have to follow suite.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    supaclive said:
    I can assure you Mel Morris ain't got £515m anymore.....
    The Coates family haven't got £6.9bn wealth either!
    That’s what they want you to think

I know, exactly!!
  • Options
    Wait the chairman of Accrington was behind the setting up of the idea?

How the bloody hell is that not a total conflict of interests? Like Thomas getting together with other teams and voting through double points for those playing in red. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:

This is the argument I really don't get and I have seen it from fans of all types of clubs, all sorts of journalists, other stakeholders. 

The cap not existing does put more clubs at risk.  Bad management puts clubs at risk.  If a club earns 3 million and chooses to spend 4 who's fault is it?

If me and you both spend £300 a month in the pub, but I can only afford to spend £200, its not the land lords job to cap your spending is it? 
    No, definitely the missus' job.
  • Options
    T said:

How the bloody hell is that not a total conflict of interests? Like Thomas getting together with other teams and voting through double points for those playing in red. 
    But that's how the league works.  You suggest proposal x, the others vote on it. 

Tougher restrictions/sanctions on owners, great idea.  Let me just ask these 72 guys first. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Maybe towards the end of the season with clubs struggling financially and still no fans back we should look to steal a march on some other clubs and tie up a deal or two for the best L1/L2 players out there... Randall / Fraser types. 

Assume you can still do what we did with Hreidersson and bring in a player outside the window but just not play them.  You would think clubs will be absolutely desperate for cash in a couple of months time.

Would be good to see Aneke contract extended and Shinnie, Stockley bought in.  Obvs Miller and Akin too but never going to happen.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

Unfortunately in football when the reigns let off then logic goes out the window. Clubs that try not to spend to much loose out to those willing to run up huge debits no matter the risks. Or they have to follow suite.
    To what end though?  Are "we" as supporters, of all clubs, partly to blame?  "Give Lyle what ever it takes to make him stay" was used quite a lot last year.  Roland could afford it but he was never going to gift the club the money.  We were already hemorrhaging money. 

All the time everyone demands more, better, players.  That cost more transfer fees and wages while at the same time wanting cheaper tickets, better customer service, better facilities etc etc. 

The simple solution is say you can't loose money. Pure and simple.  If the owner wants to pump money in he does it through equity. You can have all the fake taxi (no not that one) sponsorship you want.  If he doesn't, we'll cut your cloth accordingly. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    T said:

But that's how the league works.  You suggest proposal x, the others vote on it. 

Tougher restrictions/sanctions on owners, great idea.  Let me just ask these 72 guys first. 
    I honestly had no idea that the governance was that simplistic that there was no independent board that had oversight or working groups etc... 
  • Options
    With the change to the illegal Salary cap, I just wonder if players will equip and/or express themselves slightly differently on the pitch now. There is now a:

- Window for those that have the aim to move around/upwards
    - Chance of an enhanced contract at current club. (Take Ronnie for an example, if he does the bizz, we can reward him, if it is a struggle than our current arrangement probably suits the club more than player).
    - More options in your short term career than to see your contract out as some clubs's would have previously rejected offers knowing they can't get similar calibre players in
    - Feel confident the kids in the first team squad are not earning more than you, for no viable reason.
  • Options
    A solution is/was needed but the cap as implemented was clearly not it. I have no doubt there will be another attempt to come up with something sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Suprised we've not signed a free agent CB yet.
  • Options
    Cap should have been top down, instead it was bottom up
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    T said:

Shhh.