Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How the Salary Cap Works - Scrapped 09/02/2021? (p2)

Comments

• Options
    Accrington's spent is well below the salary cap at £1.3m according to Holt.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Addickted said:
    Accrington's spent is well below the salary cap at £1.3m according to Holt.
    There is no figures for wages, in the last 3 sets of accounts.  How ever they have made a 7 digit loss in 2 of those.  They should be expelled from the league as that's financial dopping!!!?!!!

According to an article today Sunderland's player wage bill last season was 11 million! 
  • Options
    Can see what he means... Agents didnt hold all the cards with cap but do again now

Unfortunately in this game we cant have our cake and eat it
  • Options
    I’m usually a free market man but I actually agree with the wage cap in the lower divisions. 

However, the current one needs plenty of changes. Someone posted on here that if you were an academy player at the clubs (Phillips etc) than you shouldn’t be included in the salary cap whatever age you are. 

• Options
    Not sure I buy all of that. I think some of it is because he knows agents will be listening.

If we signed someone on a 7k wage tomorrow and then the EFL imposed a cap again, it'd be taken at the league average same as it was before.
    Yes, this seems at least a bit like managing expectations and trying to stop speculation that we're suddenly going to go on a massive shopping spree and renewing contracts all over the place.

We're not. Still going to be working to a budget, still have lists of targets and plans A, B and C etc. Just the budget and the targets are set by the club (currently) not the league.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Bowyer prefers the backs against the wall approach, so am not surprised he is saying the above.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Nick DiMarco ripping Andy Holt to pieces, then Holt comes on and embarrasses himself. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-ornstein-chapman-podcast/id1488521447?i=1000508556849
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Holt was held up as a hero on this very board before Thomas turned up.  If I had a quid for hearing "I wish we had an owner like him" I could have bought the club myself.

Probably not the ground and the training ground but I could have outbid Southall :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't understand what Bowyer is getting at regarding not being able to offer a player a contract now because they might bring the salary cap back next season. The Salary cap is gone and it is incredibly unlikely any contracts outside of a future cap would be subject to it. The last cap that got overturned demonstrated this as contracts signed before its introduction did not count for the purposes of the cap.
  • Options
    Andy Holt comes across pretty awfully on the podcast, to me. Like somebody whose mini-plan got traction but fell away. "What matters here is not Nick or his bits of laws, what matters is that we have clubs left to apply laws to" was the best one for me.

I did not know much about him before the Thomas era, just to be clear. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't understand what Bowyer is getting at regarding not being able to offer a player a contract now because they might bring the salary cap back next season. The Salary cap is gone and it is incredibly unlikely any contracts outside of a future cap would be subject to it. The last cap that got overturned demonstrated this as contracts signed before its introduction did not count for the purposes of the cap.
    It's a bizarre comment from him. Now is exactly the time to be offering contracts, in case they bring the cap back.
  • Options
    I can't see how Holt being previously involved in the process isn't a conflict of interest. The legislation suited a small club like Accrington but not a club like ours. Glad it's gone! 
  • Options
    He also completely ignored the excellent comparison point about how the salary cap works in La Liga (a tailored club by club basis), by saying he's not a football man, then continued to rant about the flash lawyer, aswell as Gordon and his merry men. *yawn emoji*
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    I can't see how Holt being previously involved in the process isn't a conflict of interest. The legislation suited a small club like Accrington but not a club like ours. Glad it's gone! 
    Asking turkeys to vote for Christmas is always a conflict of interest.  

Asking turkeys to vote if they are fit and proper or if they are happy to chuck a year or twos costs in a pot is equally fanciful. 
  • Options
    Another flaw of the salary cap is that it doesn't take into account transfer fees, both in and out

If we sold a player for £1m in January, it seems daft that we could use the money to buy a replacement for £1m as long as we paid him low wages, but wouldn't be allowed to buy a player for £200k and pay him higher wages, despite this actually costing less over a 3 year contract

£1m fee plus £2k a week salary for 3 years = ~£1.4m (including addons)
    £200k plus £5k a week salary for 3 years = ~ £1.2m
    Or you could sell Karlan Grant for a million quid, who would have counted as the league average, if at all, and only be able to bring in Josh Parker on 2.50 and a mars bar.

Do many of the smaller clubs ever actually pay more than nominal fees?  That's not being flipent but even we seem very rarely to pay a fee in league 1, even under Powell.  There are so many 1 and 2 year contracts at this and lower levels paying a transfer fee almost seems like wasting money.  Unless it's on a prospect like DJ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Andy Holt comes across pretty awfully on the podcast, to me. Like somebody whose mini-plan got traction but fell away. "What matters here is not Nick or his bits of laws, what matters is that we have clubs left to apply laws to" was the best one for me.

I did not know much about him before the Thomas era, just to be clear. 
    He doesn't really have any constructive points - thinks De Marco should be creating a solution that will help Accrington when really he's just a lawyer working for his client.

Holt comes across as a big whinging baby who just wants to punish the big clubs in L1.
  • Options
    He seems to be under the impression that Nick De Marco easily beat the EFL because they aren't lawyers, very odd, coming across with man yells at cloud vibes
  • Options
    I don't think a cap is a bad idea in itself. Holt went on to suggest maybe having cap bands based on the relative size of a club. This seems more sensible but demands the question, why was this not part of the original proposal? I suspect the answer may be the age old issue with football. The smaller clubs saw it as an opportunity to artificially level the playing area. Of course it is usually the big clubs that impose rules that suit them, but football clubs tend to look at their interests first in all they do. 
  • Options
    Scrapping it after the window is closed? Gee.... thanks.
  • Options
    Not been following this thread so this question may have already been answered, but does this mean we can get loaned out players back into the squad, like Maddison?
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Not been following this thread so this question may have already been answered, but does this mean we can get loaned out players back into the squad, like Maddison?
    Nope players who have been loaned out in this window cant be recalled until the next window opens which will be in the summer. 

Unless of course they're in Non-League Football like Ben Dempsey
  • Options
    I'd love Thomas and Andy Holt to sit down over a pint. I reckon they would actually find a lot in common. Both of them "get" football. 
  • Options
    I'd love Thomas and Andy Holt to sit down over a pint. I reckon they would actually find a lot in common. Both of them "get" football. 
    Roland wants an invite to that meeting too 🙄
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Roland wants an invite to that meeting too 🙄

Matt Mouthall as the Chair