Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Abs to think @AFKABartram that for several years you were looking forward to the time when the ownership shenanagins would be over and we could focus the forum back on commenting on the football 😂
  • Options
    No doubt he does. Today for me the turning point wasn't the red card (this may have been said before, if so apologies) but when JFC went off. To me he is our most influential player, yet you only notice it once he's not there as we lost all of the impetus we had gained for the remainder of the first half. Fair enough, you can't legislate for a player getting injured, but Shinnie looks at his most effective playing wide and  moving him inside negated that threat. DJ certainly looks an exciting player, but as we had got a bit of superiority maybe the sub should have been like for like.
    All the talk of us conceding "worldies" is fine, but we have often been guilty of allowing the space to do so, as their second proved today.
    It is a bit of a contradiction in terms  saying we have a poor home record when there is no-one there and Curbs rightly said a crowd would have made a difference, but LB does seem to get better overall performances when we play away, Burton excepted, so it does make you wonder if there is a different approach/atmosphere/mentality towards home games that are now more repetitive than ever before. Is the build up different, both for players and manager? Does getting changed in a lounge make a difference? Whatever it may be, Bow seems a lot more nervy and irrational in SE7 than out of it.
    And as has been mentioned previously, genuinely don't know the answer but the thought is there - how was the January window managed - and how much input? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    I think the defence is our issue and there's not an alternative manager that would get more out of them.

If we get Inniss and Famewo back then the side will look completely different but time is running out in terms of this season.

Think he deserves the season and especially when he hasn't had his first choice centre backs for over half of it.

Tired of the flip flopping depending on whether we win or lose.
    Are you seriously saying that no other manager could have done a better job? 
    No doubt some would get more from this squad - plenty would do similar or worse too, think Slade, Parkinson, Robinson and personally I’d include Powell in that group as well.

I’d want a big rebuild if we somehow went up with this squad, it would seriously struggle in the Championship.

I find it difficult to blame Bowyer and Gallen for that when they had to sign over 10 players in two weeks with the salary cap in place. I think it’s safe to assume very few promotion sides have been built in similar circumstances.

I’m not fully Bowyer in or out at the moment. For me if we change manager it’s probably
    not going to resolve the main issues, I see it more likely to end in the way Powell’s first season did and we’d come to accept this squad isn’t quite up to it. Too many players who are good on paper and yet at the same time many of them we’d happily replace in the summer.

It’ll be interesting to see what TS does if
    anything over the next few months. A few decisions could be the difference between his plan and ambition coming together or several years of us sloshing around in this league.
    Powell inherited a hopeless squad from Parky and couldn't do anything with them - Parky was pretty unfairly sacked in my view given the dross he was working with then.

Bowyer has a much better squad than Parky had and we're basically showing relegation form over the last 18 games - a bit more than a blip. He's underachieving and if he continues like this he fully deserves the sack. The patience of TS will run out...
    Easy to call that squad dross now but at the time many didn't agree and wanted both Parky and later Powell sacked. In a year or two I don't think we as a fanbase we will rate this squad as highly as we do now.
    Who exactly thought the squad Parky had was good?
     Pawel Abbott
     Akpo Sodje
    Joe Anyinsah
    Tamer Tuna
    Nathan Eccleston
    Miguel Llera
    Gary Doherty
    Frank Nouble
    Paul Benson
    Kyel Reid

Just to name a few - happy days!

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    I think the defence is our issue and there's not an alternative manager that would get more out of them.

If we get Inniss and Famewo back then the side will look completely different but time is running out in terms of this season.

Think he deserves the season and especially when he hasn't had his first choice centre backs for over half of it.

No doubt some would get more from this squad - plenty would do similar or worse too, think Slade, Parkinson, Robinson and personally I’d include Powell in that group as well.

I’d want a big rebuild if we somehow went up with this squad, it would seriously struggle in the Championship.

I find it difficult to blame Bowyer and Gallen for that when they had to sign over 10 players in two weeks with the salary cap in place. I think it’s safe to assume very few promotion sides have been built in similar circumstances.

I’m not fully Bowyer in or out at the moment. For me if we change manager it’s probably
    not going to resolve the main issues, I see it more likely to end in the way Powell’s first season did and we’d come to accept this squad isn’t quite up to it. Too many players who are good on paper and yet at the same time many of them we’d happily replace in the summer.

anything over the next few months. A few decisions could be the difference between his plan and ambition coming together or several years of us sloshing around in this league.
    Powell inherited a hopeless squad from Parky and couldn't do anything with them - Parky was pretty unfairly sacked in my view given the dross he was working with then.

Bowyer has a much better squad than Parky had and we're basically showing relegation form over the last 18 games - a bit more than a blip. He's underachieving and if he continues like this he fully deserves the sack. The patience of TS will run out...
    Easy to call that squad dross now but at the time many didn't agree and wanted both Parky and later Powell sacked. In a year or two I don't think we as a fanbase we will rate this squad as highly as we do now.
     Pawel Abbott
     Akpo Sodje
    Joe Anyinsah
    Tamer Tuna
    Nathan Eccleston
    Miguel Llera
    Gary Doherty
    Frank Nouble
    Paul Benson
    Kyel Reid

Abbott = Bogle
    Llera = Pearce
    Doherty = Watson

• Options

Would love to hear the audio including the question that was asked here, because it was only a week ago we were told that anything other than a top 6 finish would be a poor season
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-anything-other-than-a-top-six-finish-simply-wont-do/
  • Options
    (Had put this on the wrong thread) 

I still think ‘life’ is playing a massive part in accentuating the unrest.

We’re all f***ed off having to endure with these living life limitations and the overall depressive backdrop. We’ve all got a lot less to focus on, the fortunes of our football team are being magnified, and our unhappiness with it all is, by default, being escalated. It was additionally escalated because we had a new owner with what we think is a few quid. Yet, in reality, due to the salary cap that has had no impact.

Sandgaard however has been given a massive lesson in just how fickle football fans can be. 2-3 months ago he was constantly bombarded with people ensuring he recognised Bowyer was a Mr Charlton legend that needed protection and preservation. A disappointing two months has been all that’s needed to see that almost completely unwound
    I don’t know about that, I think regardless of what was going on in the real world a decent proportion of our fans would be kicking off if we were on a dreadful run and trending towards mid table in the third division, we aren’t exactly backwards in being forward. I’m actually surprised that there isn’t more unrest given that football is one of the only things to focus on at the moment. 
  • Options
    How can Bowyer lose it he ever had till TS took over and it only been 5 months ... Bowyer job starts in the summer 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Pawel Abbott
     Akpo Sodje
    Joe Anyinsah
    Tamer Tuna
    Nathan Eccleston
    Miguel Llera
    Gary Doherty
    Frank Nouble
    Paul Benson
    Kyel Reid

Abbott = Bogle
    Llera = Pearce
    Doherty = Watson

Nothing will ever compare to Llera/Doherty- they had the lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (Had put this on the wrong thread) 

I still think ‘life’ is playing a massive part in accentuating the unrest.

We’re all f***ed off having to endure with these living life limitations and the overall depressive backdrop. We’ve all got a lot less to focus on, the fortunes of our football team are being magnified, and our unhappiness with it all is, by default, being escalated. It was additionally escalated because we had a new owner with what we think is a few quid. Yet, in reality, due to the salary cap that has had no impact.

Sandgaard however has been given a massive lesson in just how fickle football fans can be. 2-3 months ago he was constantly bombarded with people ensuring he recognised Bowyer was a Mr Charlton legend that needed protection and preservation. A disappointing two months has been all that’s needed to see that almost completely unwound
    100% Agree.
  • Options
    We are never going to be successful because we are conceding too many goals. We’ve been leaking goals almost every match since November. Our discipline is terrible and we do not have the mental strength to recover from a 1-0 defeat to win matches.

We are never going to be promoted if these continue, until we sort these out we are stuck in league 1.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Pawel Abbott
     Akpo Sodje
    Joe Anyinsah
    Tamer Tuna
    Nathan Eccleston
    Miguel Llera
    Gary Doherty
    Frank Nouble
    Paul Benson
    Kyel Reid

Everyone who wanted Parky and later Powell sacked for not making the play-offs with that squad.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Another defeat for Liverpool today. 2 wins from the last 7 games, not won at home since mid-December. 

Van Dijk's injured, blah, blah, blah, Gomez is injured, blah, blah, blah. As if that's a reasonable excuse! Klopp's clearly lost it, bloke hasn't got a clue. Can't believe they've not sacked him yet and brought in Paul Jones or Danny Cowley.
    Good comparison if it wasn't for Liverpools succes over the last few years 
    Yeah I know, ridiculous comparison by me. Klopp's barely spent a penny, whereas Bowyer's had his pick of lower league free transfers and inexperienced loanees. I bet Klopp would have jumped at the chance to sign Macaulay Bonne for £100k and Deli Oshilaja on a free. And Bowyer had the advantage of Lyle Taylor refusing to play, whilst poor old Jurgen had to put up with Mo Salah expecting to start every week.

Klopp's had barely any support from Liverpool's billionaire owners whereas good old Roland couldn't get his wallet out quick enough. Really you have to say it's an absolute disgrace that Bowyer wasn't sacked straight after the play off final. 

Oh but hang on, he was sacked straight after the play-off final, and all the stupid Charlton fans complained about it because they ridiculously thought he'd worked a miracle in getting us promoted, so Roland reinstated him, so that we had to put up with him nearly keeping us up with the lowest budget in the Championship and absolute meltdown going on behind the scenes with the ownership.

Yep, you're right. You're definitely right.
    OK its exactly the same situation 
    No, it clearly isn't exactly the same situation, so a bit odd of you to cite Klopp's success over the last few years, implying that Bowyer hasn't had any success, when he quite obviously had given the circumstances he was working under.
    Has it been successful though? Yes we went up but came straight back down. He could easily leave us in a very similar position to the one he took over in. 

Admittedly the circumstances have mostly been horrendous, so progress was a long shot. Unfortunately for him it’s not anymore so he’s open to a lot more criticism. 

Bowyer might well turn out not to be the man, but I think he's earned the right to at least pick his first choice team a couple of times before we discard him. What's more, I think we owe him that, for staying last summer when there were offers from elsewhere and we were changing owners every other week, and for staying the year before despite being rewarded for promotion by getting the sack.

Not expecting to convince anyone to change their mind, but I can't get over how short some of your memories are, and how keen you are for us to become "that sort of club".
    This comment keeps coming up. None of us want Charlton to become "that sort of club" no matter how many times it gets thrown around as a pretty weak ad hominem. Nor are memories short- most of us aren't denying Bowyer got us promoted or that it wasn't a great moment. But there comes a point that you have to ask, what is the point that he has to go? At what point has Bowyer crossed the line? 

If we fail to get top six, is that it? It was the stated aim for the first half of this season but suddenly now we're overachieving whilst being outside of it. 

I will always love Bowyer for being a part of the Wembley moments, and it felt all the better having someone 'proper Charlton' at the helm, but how long can that season be held up as a get out of jail free card? 

I think he should get until the end of the season to try and get playoffs, for what its worth, but I wouldn't go as far as to give him until December or even longer as some have suggested if he misses the top six target. 
    Well we're not too far apart then. Whilst I personally would give him until December, I recognise that managers don't normally get that amount of time these days, and if we play out the remainder of the season in the same fashion as the last two months then I don't really expect him to stay, and you won't  find me on here in May protesting about his dismissal if that's how it plays out. 

But this thread started on 8 January - the transfer window had barely opened and he'd spent the season working with a squad that had been assembled at the last minute and already there were people saying he had to go - and it's snowballed ever since. There's loads of people on here calling for his head and saying that he needs to go now, regardless of what's gone before. I find that attitude hard to stomach, and it does make us "that kind of club".
    I don't think he needs to go and would give him until December to see what can happen with a bit of continuity and stability. But maybe, with  so many people on here with better knowledge and who would do much better, TS might consider a change earlier?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Is Bowyer now claiming that top 6 has never been the aim? Is he fucking sure?
    I think top 6 wasn’t expected after 10 games and where we were but in 6th place after 28 games it bloody should be now! Worrying if Bows is hiding behind an out of date expectation, especially with the quality squad he has now. The target after 20 games, and especially now, should be a MINIMUM of the playoffs. 
  • Options
    How times have changed.

But for a couple of months ago we were all frothing at the mouth on a court room zoom call, watching our beloved club going down the tubes.

Weeks later and we are supposed to be romping this f"""""""g league!

Fickle don't do it justice.
    Another ridiculous take. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Another defeat for Liverpool today. 2 wins from the last 7 games, not won at home since mid-December. 

Van Dijk's injured, blah, blah, blah, Gomez is injured, blah, blah, blah. As if that's a reasonable excuse! Klopp's clearly lost it, bloke hasn't got a clue. Can't believe they've not sacked him yet and brought in Paul Jones or Danny Cowley.
    Good comparison if it wasn't for Liverpools succes over the last few years 
    Yeah I know, ridiculous comparison by me. Klopp's barely spent a penny, whereas Bowyer's had his pick of lower league free transfers and inexperienced loanees. I bet Klopp would have jumped at the chance to sign Macaulay Bonne for £100k and Deli Oshilaja on a free. And Bowyer had the advantage of Lyle Taylor refusing to play, whilst poor old Jurgen had to put up with Mo Salah expecting to start every week.

Klopp's had barely any support from Liverpool's billionaire owners whereas good old Roland couldn't get his wallet out quick enough. Really you have to say it's an absolute disgrace that Bowyer wasn't sacked straight after the play off final. 

Oh but hang on, he was sacked straight after the play-off final, and all the stupid Charlton fans complained about it because they ridiculously thought he'd worked a miracle in getting us promoted, so Roland reinstated him, so that we had to put up with him nearly keeping us up with the lowest budget in the Championship and absolute meltdown going on behind the scenes with the ownership.

Yep, you're right. You're definitely right.
    OK its exactly the same situation 
    No, it clearly isn't exactly the same situation, so a bit odd of you to cite Klopp's success over the last few years, implying that Bowyer hasn't had any success, when he quite obviously had given the circumstances he was working under.
    Has it been successful though? Yes we went up but came straight back down. He could easily leave us in a very similar position to the one he took over in. 

Admittedly the circumstances have mostly been horrendous, so progress was a long shot. Unfortunately for him it’s not anymore so he’s open to a lot more criticism. 
    "Has he been successful though?"

Well we weren't going to make the play-offs in 17/18 with Karl Robinson in charge, so I'd say he was a success at the end of that season.

The following season we got promoted. We started that season unable to fill the substitutes bench. We spent £0 in transfer fees. So I think it's fair to say that he was successful that season.

I take your point about him leaving us in a very similar position to the one he took over in. Presumably you'd also say that Claudio Ranieri wasn't a success at Leicester, because he left Leicester in the relegation zone, so the Premier League title he won the year before is a bit irrelevant. Maybe Jurgen Klopp (sorry for the repeated reference to him) will leave Liverpool at the end of the season after finishing outside the Champions League places, in which case - by your logic - he isn't a success either, despite delivering the Premier League title and the Champions League. Mauricio Pochettino - took over a side that had just finished 6th, left them in 14th, another failure of a manager. Arsene Wenger also not successful (based on your criteria), and Alf Ramsey got sacked after failing to qualify for World Cup 1974, so he was an unsuccessful England manager.

Of course, I recognise that all of these comparisons are ridiculous - none of the aforementioned had to work within the ridiculous constraints applied by Roland, or the turmoil that followed that, or anything even remotely comparable to that.

I find it really weird that people on here attribute blame to Bowyer for our relegation last season. It's not much different to making Paul Jones the scapegoat for Wigan's relegation. It's as if the transfer window last January (when our owners forgot to tell us that we were under a transfer embargo) isn't relevant. And all the games that we dominated after lockdown, when we had no Taylor and Macauley Bonne had chance after chance but couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, that isn't relevant either. And of course, we had a lower budget than anyone else in the Championship, so at a disadvantage before the season even started, but that doesn't matter either.

It's only a few months ago that we were all united in fear that we might not have a club to support for much longer. I was proud of our support back then, and for the years before that when we were fighting against Roland. But now that the club's secure, most seem to have forgotten how grateful we were to have Bowyer and Jacko while everything else was going to shit in the background. Now we're no different from Chelsea, Palace, Newcastle, Spurs and the rest - unable to see the bigger picture and ready to change our managers as often as we change our socks, regardless of what's gone before.

It's not been very good recently, I can see that. He's made poor selection choices at times, and defensively we've been awful (since we lost our two best centre-backs). We were lousy against Portsmouth and Accrington. But we were good against Rochdale and MK Dons. If he has "lost it", then it's a bit weird that he keeps finding it again. I thought "losing it" was a permanent state. We were potent in attack today, and suicidal in defence, although not helped by a really soft sending off.

Bowyer might well turn out not to be the man, but I think he's earned the right to at least pick his first choice team a couple of times before we discard him. What's more, I think we owe him that, for staying last summer when there were offers from elsewhere and we were changing owners every other week, and for staying the year before despite being rewarded for promotion by getting the sack.

Not expecting to convince anyone to change their mind, but I can't get over how short some of your memories are, and how keen you are for us to become "that sort of club".
    You've put a lot of words in my mouth there. 

Ranieri and Wenger may have left their clubs in positions even worse when they took over, but they delivered silverware, let's not forget Bowyer didn't win the title and has the advantage of having three shots at promotion.  Admittedly that's why it's difficult to compare the two (you were the one who started the Klopp comparison, not me). A manager who joins a Premier League club in 4th, finishes 4th for five years in a row isn't successful, but they would be if they won FA/League cups in that time. Even so, like I say you've put words in my mouth as I never said Bowyer has been unsuccessful. If we finish 11th this season and Bowyer is sacked, has his reign been a success? I'd say he delivered one of the best days of my life, he was a passionate manager who I loved having but overall, no it wouldn't have been a success, we would have gone full circle with him as manager, even with excuses and difficult circumstances. 

You can't undo a trophy win. Ramsay was sacked as manager but of course he was a success because we won the World Cup. Klopp won the Champions League. You can't be relegated from the World Cup or Champions League. Ignoring who or what was to blame, our promotion was fairly meaningless because we got relegated straight back down. 

I actually agree with the majority of what you have written and I'm not calling for him to sacked. There is a lot of impatience, I include myself in that but despite paying £10 for another shower of shit, I'm happy to give him some more time. 
  • Options
    Fair enough @cafcfan1990

Incidentally, following my continual references to Jurgen Klopp this evening, apparently he has gone from 50/1 this morning to be the next manager to leave his job, to 5/6 tonight, amidst rumours that he's quit.

Lot's of scousers been giving him stick on social media, although obviously plenty defending him as well.

Presume there's a "Has Jurgen Lost it?" thread on Bin-dipperLife.com.

Maybe not such a crazy comparison after all.
  • Options
    I don't want to be a club like spurs, Chelsea and all the others that sack the manager when it's not going well.... 

Dowie
    Reed
    Pardew
    Parkinson
    Powell
    Riga
    Peters
    Fraeye
    Luzon
    Riga again
    Slade
    Robinson 

Don't you think it's a bit late for that?  I think Bowyer is now the longest serving manager since Curbs left?  How many of those managers were we wrong to "let go"?

Blind loyalty is not a valid reason to keep a manager.

If you think Bowyer is the right person to rebuild the squad, and be trusted with spending Thomas's money, that's a valid point of view.  But keeping the wrong manager out of loyalty, or on the grounds of stability, or to take some moral high ground isn't. Is it? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!