Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I think Bowyer lost it for a spell and has improved of late, but his poor tactical and man management from earlier in the season have taken confidence away from the team and given us a soft underbelly which we haven't fully recovered from.

I would have changed him quite a few games ago. A new manager can give a bounce and God knows we need a bounce right now. But I think we have him for the rest of the season.
    Improved of late? Too many wet their pants over a win at Rochdale. Back to earth today. Nowhere near good enough.
    I was one of the first to call for him to go and I still think he should. But he has stopped scapegoating players (that doesn't go down well with all of your players and affects confidence and morale) and seems to be tinkering less tactically. Having said that, it isn't achievement of the year. 

He is too negative and I believe another manager could get us playing much better as we do have a decent squad. If they don't we haven't lost much. Given the situation, I'd let JJ and Euell have a go at it as joint caretakers for the remaining games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think the defence is our issue and there's not an alternative manager that would get more out of them.

If we get Inniss and Famewo back then the side will look completely different but time is running out in terms of this season.

Think he deserves the season and especially when he hasn't had his first choice centre backs for over half of it.

Tired of the flip flopping depending on whether we win or lose.
    Are you seriously saying that no other manager could have done a better job? 
    No doubt some would get more from this squad - plenty would do similar or worse too, think Slade, Parkinson, Robinson and personally I’d include Powell in that group as well.

I’d want a big rebuild if we somehow went up with this squad, it would seriously struggle in the Championship.

I find it difficult to blame Bowyer and Gallen for that when they had to sign over 10 players in two weeks with the salary cap in place. I think it’s safe to assume very few promotion sides have been built in similar circumstances.

I’m not fully Bowyer in or out at the moment. For me if we change manager it’s probably
    not going to resolve the main issues, I see it more likely to end in the way Powell’s first season did and we’d come to accept this squad isn’t quite up to it. Too many players who are good on paper and yet at the same time many of them we’d happily replace in the summer.

It’ll be interesting to see what TS does if
    anything over the next few months. A few decisions could be the difference between his plan and ambition coming together or several years of us sloshing around in this league.
    Powell inherited a hopeless squad from Parky and couldn't do anything with them - Parky was pretty unfairly sacked in my view given the dross he was working with then.

Bowyer has a much better squad than Parky had and we're basically showing relegation form over the last 18 games - a bit more than a blip. He's underachieving and if he continues like this he fully deserves the sack. The patience of TS will run out...
    Agree entirely. It isn’t a blip, it’s a way of life now. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think the defence is our issue and there's not an alternative manager that would get more out of them.

If we get Inniss and Famewo back then the side will look completely different but time is running out in terms of this season.

Think he deserves the season and especially when he hasn't had his first choice centre backs for over half of it.

No doubt some would get more from this squad - plenty would do similar or worse too, think Slade, Parkinson, Robinson and personally I’d include Powell in that group as well.

I’d want a big rebuild if we somehow went up with this squad, it would seriously struggle in the Championship.

I find it difficult to blame Bowyer and Gallen for that when they had to sign over 10 players in two weeks with the salary cap in place. I think it’s safe to assume very few promotion sides have been built in similar circumstances.

I’m not fully Bowyer in or out at the moment. For me if we change manager it’s probably
    not going to resolve the main issues, I see it more likely to end in the way Powell’s first season did and we’d come to accept this squad isn’t quite up to it. Too many players who are good on paper and yet at the same time many of them we’d happily replace in the summer.

anything over the next few months. A few decisions could be the difference between his plan and ambition coming together or several years of us sloshing around in this league.
    Powell inherited a hopeless squad from Parky and couldn't do anything with them - Parky was pretty unfairly sacked in my view given the dross he was working with then.

Bowyer has a much better squad than Parky had and we're basically showing relegation form over the last 18 games - a bit more than a blip. He's underachieving and if he continues like this he fully deserves the sack. The patience of TS will run out...
    Managers have good spells and bad spells. Sometimes they can recover from a dip in form, sometimes it's better for all concerned if the manager moves on

Parky was unlucky to be sacked by Charlton, but then it was a slightly odd to give him the job permanently in the first place, after a disastrous spell as caretaker! His spell at Sunderland was pretty underwhelming though; he bombed McGeady out of Sunderland whereas Johnson brought him back into the fold, and since then he's been creating goal after goal for them. FOUR assists today
  • Options
    For me, It is a fragility which has as much to do with confidence or lack of it. I hold Bowyer responsible for damaging the confidence within the squad. Whether it is because somebody has had a word with him or not, he does seem more stable but it can be argued the damage has been done. A new face could make a big difference and a big question is whether JJ is liked and respected by the players. I am assuming he is, but I don't know.
  • Options
    I can't wait to hear the rest of the answer about how we're overachieving. By all means come out with that when you've just beaten Leeds 1-0 at home last year, but to say it after you've shipped 18 goals in 7 home games, haven't won at home this year, and just lost at home to Gillingham is beyond belief.

Still can't believe we didn't sign any defenders in the January window. Still at least we signed another Matt Smith to sit on the bench though, happy days.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Scoham said:

Parky was unlucky to be sacked by Charlton, but then it was a slightly odd to give him the job permanently in the first place, after a disastrous spell as caretaker! 
    Well he managed to prove himself the following season as he got us into the playoffs, and we were very unlucky to lose the semi. Although I didn't fancy us to beat Millwall at Wembley.....
  • Options
    The decision not to sign a single defensively minded player (let alone an actual defender) in January when we conceded 20 goals in 12 games in December and January will lose Bowyer his job. It might not happen before the end of the season, but the defence, and his reckless attitude to doing anything about it, has written off any prospect of promotion in what is a substandard league.

I think you’re right, but I’d love to know who was behind that decision. I might be wrong but suspect it was not Bowyer. I’m not convinced how much say he has over the signings of individuals or positions. 
    TS said he wanted more attacking football and ever since we have gone from sidewards, sidewards, backwards to kamikazee. 

I can't help thinking that some of this may be down to TS wanting to concentrate on attacking.

I'm not criticising TS btw.
    All I know is our defending as a team is absolutely shocking as in bottom of the league standard.
    Who is to blame for us letting the opposition shoot at goal unchallenged so often, the players, the manager or even the owner putting pressure on the manager? I don't know.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Another defeat for Liverpool today. 2 wins from the last 7 games, not won at home since mid-December. 

Van Dijk's injured, blah, blah, blah, Gomez is injured, blah, blah, blah. As if that's a reasonable excuse! Klopp's clearly lost it, bloke hasn't got a clue. Can't believe they've not sacked him yet and brought in Paul Jones or Danny Cowley.

A failure.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Managers have good spells and bad spells. Sometimes they can recover from a dip in form, sometimes it's better for all concerned if the manager moves on

Parky was unlucky to be sacked by Charlton, but then it was a slightly odd to give him the job permanently in the first place, after a disastrous spell as caretaker! His spell at Sunderland was pretty underwhelming though; he bombed McGeady out of Sunderland whereas Johnson brought him back into the fold, and since then he's been creating goal after goal for them. FOUR assists today
    I agree Parky getting the job at Charlton was a strange appointment but boy did he have some crap players to work with in L1. When CP took over he struggled with the awful squad and we finished 13th.

The squad LB had in 2018/19 was far better than the one we had now and it certainly should have reached the playoffs. This season has been more of a test for LB and up to now he's struggled.

He needs to do something to convince TS to keep his job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    18 games is enough for a new guy to do what Bowyer did when he took over from Robinson.
  • Options
    Here’s the full “over achieving” quote;

Of course we want to finish as high as we can. But what I would say is that if you look at Wigan – who came down like us and lost most of their better players – have a look where they are and then have a look where we are.

“I think we are over-achieving, right now. So if we don’t make the play-offs then obviously that’s a discussion that the chairman, the owner Thomas, I’m sure we will have.

“But I believe that me and my staff – and the players we have got together now – we will give ourselves every opportunity and we will fight for every point.

“It’s a good question but if people think we lost 12 players, were under an embargo and weren’t allowed to sign anybody – and everyone else had four, five or six weeks headstart on us – then we had the cap come in…if any other team had what we had to deal with then I’d love to see where they would be sitting now.

“We’re overachieving, trust me.”

He said it twice, so we can knock the “he misspoke” nonsense on the head - he said it and meant it. 

• Options
    I think Bowyer lost it for a spell and has improved of late, but his poor tactical and man management from earlier in the season have taken confidence away from the team and given us a soft underbelly which we haven't fully recovered from.

I would have changed him quite a few games ago. A new manager can give a bounce and God knows we need a bounce right now. But I think we have him for the rest of the season.
    Improved of late? Too many wet their pants over a win at Rochdale. Back to earth today. Nowhere near good enough.
    I was one of the first to call for him to go and I still think he should. But he has stopped scapegoating players (that doesn't go down well with all of your players and affects confidence and morale) and seems to be tinkering less tactically. Having said that, it isn't achievement of the year. 

He is too negative and I believe another manager could get us playing much better as we do have a decent squad. If they don't we haven't lost much. Given the situation, I'd let JJ and Euell have a go at it as joint caretakers for the remaining games.

If we were to sack Bowyer I'd get rid of them all.  A fresh start and a clean break.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Scoham said:

Parky was unlucky to be sacked by Charlton, but then it was a slightly odd to give him the job permanently in the first place, after a disastrous spell as caretaker! 
    Well he managed to prove himself the following season as he got us into the playoffs, and we were very unlucky to lose the semi. Although I didn't fancy us to beat Millwall at Wembley.....
    He did very well in that first season in L1, but it was still a strange appointment

Pardew was sacked in November, Parky failed to win any of his 8 games as caretaker, but was still then given the permanent job, and we were relegated by a mile, with 39 points, that's 1 point worse than the Luzon/Fraeye/Riga season.

That second relegation to me was what broke the club, causing the financial meltdown which led to the spivs, Roland and ESI...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Every six months bring in a manager if things are not going well?
    I thought Bowyer had been in charge since March 2018 so nearly three years now. He's done a very poor job this season up to now going by results and performances.

If there's no upturn by the end of the season he deserves the sack. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I thought Bowyer had been in charge since March 2018 so nearly three years now. He's done a very poor job this season up to now going by results and performances.

I think what Elfs is saying is that when people call for Bowyer to be sacked they like to repeat the stat of X number of wins in 21 (?) games... On that basis he's saying that any Manager who has a similar run should also be sacked
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something said about Mourinho that could also fit with Bowyer: 

"Hard to know what Mourinho can do when even previously (fairly) reliable players start making costly howlers. But when so many individuals are struggling like this, it points to something deeper and systemic."
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Another defeat for Liverpool today. 2 wins from the last 7 games, not won at home since mid-December. 

Van Dijk's injured, blah, blah, blah, Gomez is injured, blah, blah, blah. As if that's a reasonable excuse! Klopp's clearly lost it, bloke hasn't got a clue. Can't believe they've not sacked him yet and brought in Paul Jones or Danny Cowley.
    Good comparison if it wasn't for Liverpools succes over the last few years 
    Yeah I know, ridiculous comparison by me. Klopp's barely spent a penny, whereas Bowyer's had his pick of lower league free transfers and inexperienced loanees. I bet Klopp would have jumped at the chance to sign Macaulay Bonne for £100k and Deli Oshilaja on a free. And Bowyer had the advantage of Lyle Taylor refusing to play, whilst poor old Jurgen had to put up with Mo Salah expecting to start every week.

Klopp's had barely any support from Liverpool's billionaire owners whereas good old Roland couldn't get his wallet out quick enough. Really you have to say it's an absolute disgrace that Bowyer wasn't sacked straight after the play off final. 

Oh but hang on, he was sacked straight after the play-off final, and all the stupid Charlton fans complained about it because they ridiculously thought he'd worked a miracle in getting us promoted, so Roland reinstated him, so that we had to put up with him nearly keeping us up with the lowest budget in the Championship and absolute meltdown going on behind the scenes with the ownership.

Yep, you're right. You're definitely right.
    I think the real question tonight is “has @mrlargo lost it?” 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Klopp has a premier league winners medal in his bag from last season, Bowyer has a relegation certficiate. 

Having said that, think it’s a bit harsh to blame Bowyer today. Had to change shape early (although I think starting JFC was a mistake) and then Aneke obviously sent off. Sometimes it’s just not your day and I thought that first half when we kept hitting the woodwork. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:

Good comparison if it wasn't for Liverpools succes over the last few years 
    Yeah I know, ridiculous comparison by me. Klopp's barely spent a penny, whereas Bowyer's had his pick of lower league free transfers and inexperienced loanees. I bet Klopp would have jumped at the chance to sign Macaulay Bonne for £100k and Deli Oshilaja on a free. And Bowyer had the advantage of Lyle Taylor refusing to play, whilst poor old Jurgen had to put up with Mo Salah expecting to start every week.

Klopp's had barely any support from Liverpool's billionaire owners whereas good old Roland couldn't get his wallet out quick enough. Really you have to say it's an absolute disgrace that Bowyer wasn't sacked straight after the play off final. 

Oh but hang on, he was sacked straight after the play-off final, and all the stupid Charlton fans complained about it because they ridiculously thought he'd worked a miracle in getting us promoted, so Roland reinstated him, so that we had to put up with him nearly keeping us up with the lowest budget in the Championship and absolute meltdown going on behind the scenes with the ownership.

Yep, you're right. You're definitely right.
    OK its exactly the same situation 
  • Options

Could argue that Jackson is part of the problem if he's in control of the defensive shape...
    Absolutely, they are a team and all coaching together.if one goes I think they all should, start fresh if that’s how it pans out.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Can you honestly see bowyer turning this around?

do you not think the comments today are those of a man who knows he can’t do anymore and is trying to convince people otherwise?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I think what Elfs is saying is that when people call for Bowyer to be sacked they like to repeat the stat of X number of wins in 21 (?) games... On that basis he's saying that any Manager who has a similar run should also be sacked
    Managers often get the sack after a very poor run - it's not unusual. He's not doing a good job at present but obviously things can get better.

Only LB himself could say he's 'overachieving' at present. Let's hope he proves the doubters wrong.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!