Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Plenty of positives today:
    Bowyer picked a balanced team with only one out of position and that was forced. He also didn't go ultra-negative when protecting the one goal lead. We worked hard throughout i all areas of the pitch. JFC is getting better by the week. It makes you wonder why it took so long for Deji to get a chance as he was again the pick of our defenders. Bogle looked a different player!
    There were some negatives; we should have scored more; Albie shouldn't have been so reckless; short corners....why?
    But all in all better and we should improve on that as well.

Good point on the short corners - just get it in the mixer!
  • Options
    Some proper old school performances today but we missed so many great chances.

Thought Bristol were woeful.

But 3 points most welcome.

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    3 points, clean sheet, well done Lee Bowyer,
    we should as on so many occasions scored 3 or more goals, but we have many injuries and we are s 6th in the Table and 3 points off second.

Great  result and it should keep some of the Idiots off LEEs back for at least a week 😂😂👍👍👍
    👍
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    JFC and Deji stand out performers.

Makes me nervous to think of Pearce coming back into the side - hopefully Famewo can start on Tuesday and Lee lets Deji keep his place in the side that he so deserves after today.
    Surely even bowyer wouldn’t put Pearce in over Deji if famewo is back, would be a real kick in the gonads for Deji. Pearce looks worse than our non centre backs that have been playing.Deji has earned his place.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If that trip and block on the line by Schwartz was done by Bogle he's have been hung out to dry right now. 
    Fair point ... but Bogle hasn’t impressed much before today ... hopefully from today we see a different side of him. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    JFC and Deji stand out performers.

Makes me nervous to think of Pearce coming back into the side - hopefully Famewo can start on Tuesday and Lee lets Deji keep his place in the side that he so deserves after today.
    Surely even bowyer wouldn’t put Pearce in over Deji if famewo is back, would be a real kick in the gonads for Deji. Pearce looks worse than our non centre backs that have been playing.Deji has earned his place.
    Think you’re right 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    In about 3 or 4 weeks, we will have probably a top 3 first eleven, so when fit , how many other L1 teams will have better than below.

Amos 
     Gunter  Innis  Famewo  Maatsen
    Shinnie  JFC
    Doughty                         Millar
    Aneke  Gunslinger.

Also on the bench we could have Oshilaja. Pratley, Watson, Morgan, Washington, new CM, maybe new forward and others.

Not too gloomy at all.

Looks good 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Upsides: Deserved to win by more than one. Defence better. Oshilaja and JFC outstanding. Carried on from second half on Tuesday. Didn't go suicidal defensively (continued to pose an offensive threat, even when down to 10).
    Downsides: Losing Albie who had a decent game. Our goal was a bit lucky and we missed some excellent chances. Washington needed to pose more of a threat.
  • Options
    If that trip and block on the line by Schwartz was done by Bogle he's have been hung out to dry right now. 
    Background is important - Bogle has been 99% awful in his appearances so far, Schwartz did well in his Rochdale appearance. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    RedJohn said:
    In about 3 or 4 weeks, we will have probably a top 3 first eleven, so when fit , how many other L1 teams will have better than below.

Amos 
    Shinnie  JFC
    Aneke  Gunslinger.

Also on the bench we could have Oshilaja. Pratley, Watson, Morgan, Washington, new CM, maybe new forward and others.

Not too gloomy at all.

Can't see Bowyer not starting with either Pratley or Watson and i'm sure Doughty is out for longer.

But yes if they're all back we have a strong side for this level so hopefully we can keep as many of them fit as possible for a second half of the season promotion charge.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:

Amos 
    Shinnie  JFC
    Aneke  Gunslinger.

Not too gloomy at all.

Doughty can do one.
  • Options
    This for Tuesday

Amos
    Gunter Pearce Oshilaja Maatsen
    Millar Pratley JFC Williams
    Aneke Washington

MB, Matthews Famewo Shinnie Smyth Schwartz Bogle

Should be good enough to get a point
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Fair point ... but Bogle hasn’t impressed much before today ... hopefully from today we see a different side of him. 
    Probably going to be shot down but it’s not too often you could dig Bogle out for his effort, admittedly his quality is a bit lacking. So feel that the criticism of him is maybe a little over the top. I know it’s not all about effort but......
  • Options
    Hate starting with a negative after a win, but FFS take your chances. Going to take years of my life with the stress of having to see us hold to a win 1-0.

very good team performance and what we needed. Deji and JFC were class. Good performance by everyone. Been disappointed with Gilbey and Bogle but they did well when they come on.

We’ve stopped the rot and go to Peterborough trying to build on a win. Well done Bows and Jacko. Let’s start looking up the table now. 
  • Options
    Really pleased for JFC and Deji. That’s more arrogance for me because I’ve defended them and with a run of games they are putting in solid reliable performances. 

Actually that’s what today’s performance was, solid. We weren’t fantastic but every player did their job and it was a good team performance. Lovely to go back to basics and keep a clean sheet. Should have been more but you can’t get more than 3 points regardless. With players to come back it’s feeling a lot more positive. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    You seem to be forgetting that Bogle DID also miss the chance where Schwartz tripped ....... plus a clean through one on one.

Yes, he was better today - but he still missed two great chances. Just highlights his staring point if that is seen as "good".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedJohn said:

Amos 
    Shinnie  JFC
    Aneke  Gunslinger.

Not too gloomy at all.

Can't see Bowyer not starting with either Pratley or Watson and i'm sure Doughty is out for longer.

But yes if they're all back we have a strong side for this level so hopefully we can keep as many of them fit as possible for a second half of the season promotion charge.
    The fact we are well in touch with the top two, despite a dire few weeks, gives me a lot of confidence. 

Definitely not ruling out autos yet, and remain convinced we will reach playoffs whatever happens.  
  • Options
    Well, well, well - you play the players in their right position, keep it simple with a flat 4-4-2 and don't bring on 3 defenders when trying to hold onto a narrow lead and look what happens.

Might sound sarcastic but I'm serious. Please Lee, just keep things simple and we can still finish very near the top of the table.

Most things already said but I'll just say I was delighted to see Bogle put in a performance like that.

And I thoroughly enjoyed the Valley pass production today. OK the camera work at the game wasn't great (not VP fault) but Minto is a class presenter and Steve Brown was an absolutely brilliant guest. Much as I love Curbs, I really hope they can get SB back on as the guest before too long.
    Absolutely 
  • Options
    Only criticism is that we should have scored more but we won and that’s what is important. Deji was immense again which makes Bowyer leaving him on the bench previously even more bizarre. Jake F-C was MOM for me and that was his best ever game for us. Everyone put in a real shift and Omar was a handful when he came on and just a shame he couldn’t stick one away. Schwartz was getting in good positions and I really think he’ll score loads of goals for us. Nice to see Bowyer picking round pegs for round holes and to not seeing us drop too deep to protect the lead. All in all a good day at the office.

However, Bristol R were pretty poor and Peterborough will be a different kettle of fish entirely.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    stonemuse said:
    Steve Brown loved that ... apparently jumping up through the game ... said he loved it and got carried away
    I though Stevie Brown was fantastic on Valley Pass. Insightful, entertaining and still 100% heart on his sleeve addick through and through.
    He can talk the hind legs of a donkey!

If the VP coverage went on until midnight, he'd still be talking without a pause. And I'd still be listening  :D
  • Options
    RedJohn said:

Amos 
    Shinnie  JFC
    Aneke  Gunslinger.

Not too gloomy at all.

Doughty can do one.
    Absolutely! Bloke wanting to move on to a higher level, earn more money, and progress his career!! He can do one; f*** him!

The cheek of it, wanting to better yourself at such an early stage in your adult life! 
  • Options
    Rovers were shite but so are most teams in this league. They tried to be solid defensively and get the ball forwards quickly which has been a very effective tactic against us. Even though we only won by a single flukey goal, I think you play that game 10 times and we win 8 and draw 2. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The right team, the right subs. If we didn't win that not even I could blame Bowyer. 

Pratley and Pearce in for Matthews and Morgan on Tuesday and make everyone earn their place.  

Evolution not revolution for the rest of the season.  This squad is good enough for the player offs as a minimum.
    Think I’d prefer Gunter alongside Deji at CH. Pearce isn’t up to it and Matthews is a more than adequate right back.