Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Happy enough with that win - we were by far the better team. Yes, we should have scored more but plenty of room for optimism after the past few weeks. Glad to see that LB went for it from the start. He was rewarded with magnificent performances from Oshilaja and JFC, while Williams was also impressive. Looking forward to more of Schwarz. 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Millar and Maatsen combo on the left could be our greatest attacking threat this season.
    If only Maatsen could learn how to cross the ball!  Otherwise agree - we look much better and create more chances with wide players and overlapping full backs.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Good win. We played better than recently. We played better than Rovers. We won and could have won by more. Everyone looked so much more comfortable playing in their preferred position. That boosts confidence which in turn means you can achieve things that you can't when everyone's looking over their shoulder wondering if they're up to the task they've been asked to do.

One thing I would take issue with is Bowyer's comment about Millar. I don't think that's a sign of being 'young and innocent', I think that's a sign of being fundamentally honest. Good on him. Who wants to play with someone who tries to take credit for team-mate's goals? It's a team game, not an individual one. Do your damnedest to get the last touch, but don't claim what isn't yours. That doesn't make you experienced, that doesn't make you mature and that doesn't make you a better footballer; that makes you an arse hole.
    I think he said it as a bit of a joke .......
    Fair dos. I've only seen the quotes, not the original, so I've no idea of context.
    I do sincerely hope that Millar doesn't change in that respect though.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Though not spectacular, and will be over shadowed by other in midfield, I feel like Williams has really kept things ticking the last couple of games. He is a very effective outlet, and with a consistent run of games and front 2 I think we will see him get more assists. 
    I think a lot of what he does goes unnoticed but you are right, he keeps things ticking.
    Is it possible that some are so desperate for him to do well that they see it even when it's not really there?
    I think the opposite is true. Not that people hate him, but they seem to pick on what he does wrong and not notice what he does right. We are a better team with him starting and that has been the case since the season started. He won't play great every game but he gives a bit of energy where it is needed.

A special mention to their defender on the post today. It used to infuriate me when my defenders moved off the post but we were very fortunate to see a professional player doing so. He watched the ball and moved towards Millar when he couldn't have affected that if Millar had flicked it on. Schoolboy defending.
  • Options
    A big 3 points today. Not the prettiest game but we deserved the win. #cafc
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    This for Tuesday

Amos
    Gunter Pearce Oshilaja Maatsen
    Millar Pratley JFC Williams
    Aneke Washington

MB, Matthews Famewo Shinnie Smyth Schwartz Bogle

Should be good enough to get a point
    Time to start Ronnie in place of Conor Washington IMO
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Millar and Maatsen combo on the left could be our greatest attacking threat this season.
    If only Maatsen could learn how to cross the ball!  Otherwise agree - we look much better and create more chances with wide players and overlapping full backs.
    Think it was the fault of all wide players and full-backs today

Funnily our best crosser of late appears to be Gunter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Great win and clean sheet .. BIG response from the boys. We go again Tuesday
  • Options
    Was that our first win since Wimbledon?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    Was that our first win since Wimbledon?
    Yes,, only our third win since our winning run got ended (Ipswich the other)
  • Options
    Bowyer post-match:

”We was good start to finish. Very professional and solid. Everyone put in a good shift.”
    ”Ultra picky we should have scored more”
    ”I’m really happy with clean sheet. Whole back 4 were solid and very strong”
    ”Fair play to Deji, he’s had to wait, and he was excellent on and off the ball. Looked physical and strong in the air”
    ”Jake is getting better and better. He’s doing really well. Driving us in the middle of park”
    Continued: 

(About Albie) “He’s a 21 year old kid learning the game. Big learning curve today. You can’t go in foot raised when already on a yellow. But pleased he’s trying to compete and fight. He just went a little over the top today” 
    “Told the boys don’t get carried away. Big recovery and get ready for Tuesday.”
    ”Over the moon we’re in 6th”
    That's what I want to hear from a manager.
    It’s almost as if someone has had a word in his ear.
    Yeah, it was Golfie, I believe. :smile:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Lovely to see Steve Brown getting tense over the end of the game.
    The last ten mins was watched on my feet, the last five from the hallway 
    You’ve got a big tv?
  • Options
    What was pleasing was the determination on the pitch to win. Energy levels were high throughout the match by every team player. Both forskey and Morgan were everywhere and des was great at the back. Winners mentality re-emerged at last. If the team plays with that mentality then there’s no way we are going to lose. With the added bonus of the return of injured key players then we will be amongst it at the end of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big 3 points with everyone else winning. Well done LB and the boys.
  • Options
    Clean sheet; three away points; = very enjoyable weekend.
  • Options
    Oh what joy to see the team sheet and you think, yes that looks right.
    Oh what joy when they lined up and you think, yes that looks right, everyone playing in their correct positions, (apart from Gunter who had to cover at CH or play the very inexperienced Barker).

So guess what, the game starts and we look like a football team again and not a bunch of strangers, who haven't a clue what to do and as a consequence not one player had a bad game.

JFC was MOM and is looking like a player, now he is getting a run in the team, without all the chopping and changing.

Oshilaja is playing really well, now Bowyer has decided to play a CH at CH.

Matthews unsurprisingly looked really decent at RB and Maatsen looked more comfortable at LB.

All the players did well and I'd like to thank whoever it was that gave Bowyer's head a wobble and put it back in the correct place.

NB I aged at least a year in the final 20 mins.

A well deserved win and well done Lee & the boys.

Happy 60th mate.
  • Options
    Is there a website that informs on all Charlton injured players, when they are due to return, was trying to find info when Doughty is due back, back of my mind tells me end-feb, might have made that up?, anyone know?
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Is there a website that informs on all Charlton injured players, when they are due to return, was trying to find info when Doughty is due back, back of my mind tells me end-feb, might have made that up?, anyone know?
    I didn't think he was coming back
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    No complaints over Albie sending off. No idea what he was thinking for either yellow. 
    "If I don't put challenges in at every opportunity, I'll get slammed by my manager to the media and dropped."
    I’ve seen this narrative mentioned a few times and I don’t get it. 

I may be misremembering, but I’ve only seen Bowyer publicly slam senior pro’s if they’re bottling 50-50’s or jumping out of tackles. Albie was right to go for the ball but he stupidly left a foot in and that’s only down to inexperience, not his manager being annoyed at players jumping out the way of tackles. 

On the whole he’s pretty forgiving of mistakes when players are trying to do the right thing for the team, as shown with Morgan and Pearce recently. Look at the difference in Jonny Williams today, fighting for the ball and winning headers. That’s only happening because of what Bowyer has said to him and not only is he a better player for it, we’re a better team because of it.
    Yeah I agree - There was one moment today where Williams neither dived into a tackle or jumped out of it

He just stood there (not literally) and let the ball smash against him

Imagine thats the very least that Bowyer wants to see from his players - You dont always need to go sliding in as you will run the risk of getting yourself injured or sent off - You dont want to see your players literally getting out the way though, whats the point of them being there if so
  • Options
    Relief at a win.  JFC has done great last couple of games which has been good to see as I have never been his biggest fan.    Players playing in their preferred positions and keep it simple.