Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Stig said:
    Didn't watch the stream & have only read the first 3 pages on here as I wanted to see the "highlights" before commenting.

Just viewed Sky's 1m & 45 secs.......wow ! Seems like it was all Rovers in the first half (which was not what was reported on the match thread) and on another day we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time. 

Both Schwartz's & Bogle's misses look awful. Really have to improve in front of goal if we have any ambition of finishing in the top 6. Not that we will because even an idiot can see that by looking at the table there are at least 3 teams who will be above us once we've all played the same number of games. Around 8th is where I'd place us if I was a betting man. 

As for Peterborough on Tuesday. Not sure if Bowyer will put Pearce straight back into the back 4 or put Pratley there & bring back Gilbey into the midfield, although I doubt he can do much else unless he goes back to  putting players in the wrong positions.

Far from it.
    Sky must be lying then. Or our "chances" were a bit tame & not worth putting into a highlights package 
    Or you didn’t watch the game so can’t really have an opinion on it based on 90 seconds of a football game
    Not really commenting on the game, merely the 105 seconds that Sky have shown. 

I will now bow down to all you sages who think we have turned the corner & will smash Peterborough on Tuesday night. @Happy Valley wont be pleased that I've got in their first.......comfortable 4-0 away win. 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Didn't watch the stream & have only read the first 3 pages on here as I wanted to see the "highlights" before commenting.

Just viewed Sky's 1m & 45 secs.......wow ! Seems like it was all Rovers in the first half (which was not what was reported on the match thread) and on another day we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time. 

Got to laugh ......!
    Most people would say something like “Didn’t watch the stream so can’t comment on the performance.” Not our Golfie though - he watches less than 2% of the match and extrapolates out an opinion on the entire performance. I’ve still never quite worked out if it’s a parody account. 
    I always seem to have to repeat myself on here - must be because some of you can't read. 

I say again - I watched the Sky highlights put up on the "Rolling Reels" thread (check it out if you want). It shows at least 3 Rovers attacks in the first half compared to our 1. I can't help if Sky either don't like us or deem our "attacks" too tame or feeble so as not to include them. Its not as if they had a 4-4 thriller so could only show goals. I also said that I followed the "action" on here & on Sky Soccer  Saturday. Sky never went over to the stadium once during the 1st half & accounts on here seem to suggest we didnt trouble their goalkeeper once. Now, all that could be lies & it could be that we were so dominant that Rovers never got out of their own half. Where are Dustin  Hoffmann & Robert Redford when you need them......

Oh.... now I get it!.... It is a parody account. 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    In about 3 or 4 weeks, we will have probably a top 3 first eleven, so when fit , how many other L1 teams will have better than below.

Amos 
     Gunter  Innis  Famewo  Maatsen
    Shinnie  JFC
    Doughty                         Millar
    Aneke  Gunslinger.

Also on the bench we could have Oshilaja. Pratley, Watson, Morgan, Washington, new CM, maybe new forward and others.

Not too gloomy at all.

Matthews instead of Gunter , for me .  We also know that Watson or Pratley will play.  I agree though, it looks a decent side when all are fit . 
  • Options
    That's more like it. On the front foot the whole game. And a solid defence. What a difference that makes. I'm getting hope again that Bowyer hadn't lost it. I still can't quite fathom how he went into this ultra defensive slump for a few weeks but he certainly did. He must have his reasons but whatever it was seems to have gone away now. Back to the more positive Bowyer and I like it.
    From the start we were just more positive. And we seemed to control the whole game really. Even the last 10 minutes where I was convinced we would concede in typical Charlton fashion but we didn't and we rode it out quite easily in the end. Were Rovers really that bad or was it us who just had their number?! It's the classic chicken and egg situation. One of life's mysteries.
    The back 5 as solid as a rock. Amos is just Amos. Always pretty solid. Oshilaja is just getting his confidence back. Remember, he was always pretty good at L1 level. It was only when we stepped up a level that it was just a bit too much for him. But at this level he's a solid CB. Matthews coming back  really helped us and strengthened that right side. Gunter was pretty solid in the middle and Maatsen always does a good job on the left. And now that Millar is onboard it's opening up that side for some good attacks. Millar will be a handful for most defences. He just naturally wants to take them on.
    Midfield today seemed to get stronger as the game wore on. Jake is getting stronger in each game and I also think Johnnie and Albie had good games. I'm not quite sure what Albie was thinking of at the end there but Bowyer summed it up. He's young and learning the game. I like Albie.
    Up front Chuks wasn't quite his sharp self but he still caused them problems whenever he was near the ball. I'm still not sure about Washington. Is he an unsung hero or does he just not do that much? I still can't get my head around that. I do like the look of Schwartz. An out and out poacher. Not so good today I suppose but I think it was just one of those days for him. He wasn't on the field for long but even in that time he got himself into 2 positions where the goal was at his mercy. One he slipped/tripped at the wrong time and the second he actually got in the way of a chance that would probably have gone in. Either way he just seems to have an instinct of where the goal is. I'd like him to start against Peterboro. And Bogle. Admittedly he had an ok game when he came on but I just don't like him as a player. I don't think he can be relied upon to score when you need him to. Also, the ball doesn't stick to him like it does with Chuks so the ball is likely to come back and put pressure back on our defence. That was one thing I noticed when he replaced Chuks. It does create more pressure on us when it comes back like that. Today he ran around a lot and caused some problems but I think it was just all a bit 'chaotic' from him. No real pattern if you see what I mean. I'm sure Bowyer will use him now and again but I really don't think he'll have a big part to play as we get into the nitty gritty end of the season.
    So, all in all, a good day. We seem to be turning a corner? It's been a bit like turning an ocean liner the past few weeks but Bowyer had his reasons. Maybe he just didn't trust the players that we had available but now it is freeing up a bit. It looks like Famewo and Shinnie could be coming back. Now what a bonus that will be.
    At the end of the day, though, Bristol Rovers just weren't very good but was it us who just wore them down? There's that question again. Tuesday will be different gravy I think. Posh are a good team. I'm looking forward to it.  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think Deji has looked very solid since he as come in, and yesterday did particularly well having to deal with Bristol's very physical front 2.

However there's no chance he keeps either Innis or Famewo out the team when they are fit - good to have him and then Pearce as 4th choice though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Deji has looked very solid since he as come in, and yesterday did particularly well having to deal with Bristol's very physical front 2.

However there's no chance he keeps either Innis or Famewo out the team when they are fit - good to have him and then Pearce as 4th choice though. 
    Surely you play the player in form? I think its more up to Famewo & Innis to prove why they should be starting over Deji and not just walk back in. 
    Agreed. Bowyer made a point of complementing Deji (which reflects well on Bowyer too given his apparent reluctance to play Deji earlier). I think it's his position to lose for now.
  • Options
    Given how unsettled our defensive line-up has been a lot of our players will struggle to establish themselves. I'm sure Deji just wants a run in the team.
  • Options
    When are we playing Bristol Rovers again?.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    thenewbie said:

Surely you play the player in form? I think its more up to Famewo & Innis to prove why they should be starting over Deji and not just walk back in. 
    Agreed. Bowyer made a point of complementing Deji (which reflects well on Bowyer too given his apparent reluctance to play Deji earlier). I think it's his position to lose for now.
    I don't agree with that, and it is certainly not the choice I would make.

Firstly it would be Innis spot that Deji would really be competing for as Famewo is the natural left sided defender (and the best centre back at the club in my opinion). Innis was part of a back 4 which kept 6 or so clean sheets in a row, against tougher opposition then the last two games, and rarely looked troubled doing so.

Innis also offers us something from set pieces we have missed since he has been out the side.

You have to ask yourself as solid as Deji has been in two games, in which we shipped 4 goals in one, would we be a better side with Innis in. In my opinion very much so in both boxes. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Jake and Shinnie in the same side again
    Played together against Wigan and Portsmouth
  • Options
    Dont know yet... the cancelled game at the Valley hasnt been re-arranged for some reason
  • Options
    Dont know yet... the cancelled game at the Valley hasnt been re-arranged for some reason
    Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Just worth noting how the players who were dug out in public by Bowyer have responded,no lost dressing room there.
    Of course thats why Bowyer does it because he knows he'll either get results which will benefit the team or the individual can piss off and sulk which is only going to hinder their own career - This is League One, wages are a million miles away from the Premier League (even further with the Salary Cap now).

Players are just as close to playing Non-League Football and it'll certainly be easier for them to find themselves drifting down there if they dont buck their ideas up, take Albie Morgan and his long list of interested clubs who wanted him on loan this summer, its the fault of League One and League Two teams now for not showing interest at the time, but you have to ask if they didnt want him because they knew about his lack of fight that Bowyer has constantly remarked upon

I think the biggest aspect the players need to take onboard when he does it is that its never personal, he doesnt do it because he doesnt like the individual but because he wants them to be better and he wants them to make us better - I'll still agree that comments about Maddison and his injury crossed that line though
  • Options

Not much social distancing going on there 😷
    I was thinking/about to say the same.
  • Options
    How do they stay socially distant on the coach to the away games?
  • Options
    Teams are travelling on 2 or 3 coaches I believe to lesson the closeness.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    supaclive said:
    Teams are travelling on 2 or 3 coaches I believe to lesson the closeness.
    Then you've got corners and tackling?

Surely its worse that you've got Pearce et all grappling at corners for example, as at least when a player is in a huddle like the above then they're effectively doing it with someone they're in a bubble with - Grappling with an opponent or going in for a tackle, even the pushing and shoving we've seen in a recent game when there was handbags.

The worst one is when they all come out a separate teams at the start of the game, yet at HT and FT all walk off together

My comment by the way is less about Covered End and OohAah's recent posts

Its more the fact that CoveredEnd reminded me of the recent calls to stop players from celebrating together after they score
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

How did Washington manage to play for both teams yesterday?
    Have you got a Opticians appointment booked any time soon? - Cant see the likeness myself 🤣

The Bristol Rovers looks more like a taller Paul Smyth
  • Options
    Can we play you every week?
    Can we play you every week?