Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Ronnie was pretty close to doing a diving header into the foot of the post when he tripped over. Maybe our injury luck is changing?!! 
  • Options
    Dire game of football against possibly the worst team we've played this season ( Northampton might have been worse ) .Oshilaja again looked solid and JFC continues to impress.  Peterborough will be a lot tougher  , so our finishing will have to be better on Tuesday  .
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It’s funny that JFC seems to be carving out a niche as a scorer of incredibly crap goals that shouldn’t go in. A free kick that had no business going in against Wigan, a deflected nothing against Rochdale, a goal that basically hit him off a keeper mess against Wimbledon and a direct corner against Bristol Rovers. You can see why he likes to just shoot from wherever can’t you 
    As somebody once said ‘the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get’...the object of the game is to get the ball in the goal so if a player has the ball and can see the goal he should be trying to score. Anything that doesn’t go in is ‘practice’
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Have a strong spine and we will be successful in this league like two years ago.

Phillips, Bauer, Bielik, Cullen, Taylor.

Yesterday Amos, Oshilaja, JFC, were strong, add Aneke who wasn't Sharp in front of goal yesterday  but is a nightmare to defenders and is nearly in double figures.

Plus good support from everyone else.

Ps. Oshilaja is our number 3 CB but he has had two strong performances. Inniss and Famewo will help make the spine even stronger. Add Ronnie Schwartz playing off the shoulder of Chuks, similar to his first goal against Rochdale.
  • Options

Not much social distancing going on there 😷
    I was thinking/about to say the same.
    Just dawned on me why we didn't get near the oppositions midfield for the last ten games or so, we were socially distancing. 
  • Options
    It’s funny that JFC seems to be carving out a niche as a scorer of incredibly crap goals that shouldn’t go in. A free kick that had no business going in against Wigan, a deflected nothing against Rochdale, a goal that basically hit him off a keeper mess against Wimbledon and a direct corner against Bristol Rovers. You can see why he likes to just shoot from wherever can’t you 
    Seriously though. You don’t shoot you don’t score. There’s a lot to be said for shooting on sight. Keeps GK and defenders wary. Too many games our stats have recorded only one or two shots on goal. 
  • Options
    Didn't watch the stream & have only read the first 3 pages on here as I wanted to see the "highlights" before commenting.

Just viewed Sky's 1m & 45 secs.......wow ! Seems like it was all Rovers in the first half (which was not what was reported on the match thread) and on another day we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time. 

Both Schwartz's & Bogle's misses look awful. Really have to improve in front of goal if we have any ambition of finishing in the top 6. Not that we will because even an idiot can see that by looking at the table there are at least 3 teams who will be above us once we've all played the same number of games. Around 8th is where I'd place us if I was a betting man. 

As for Peterborough on Tuesday. Not sure if Bowyer will put Pearce straight back into the back 4 or put Pratley there & bring back Gilbey into the midfield, although I doubt he can do much else unless he goes back to  putting players in the wrong positions.

Just shows you can’t trust highlights. And I can’t remember Rovers having a decent chance let alone us possibly being two or three down. And that’s not forgetting Chuks couple of decent chances. Load of tosh I’m afraid.
    I thought the header near the end where their player headed over was a decent chance. If he had kept it low it was very dangerous. But we had a  number of chances that more often than not would have ended in a goal. It was a mixture of being unfortunate and poor choices/finishing. We can't claim to be unlucky as the goal we scored was very lucky, but all things being equal that game was probably a 3-1 to us. 2-1 at a push.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting - I never really thought of Bowyer as a goal scoring midfielder but his record at Leeds (38 in 203) was pretty decent. He actually scored 9 goals in two of his seasons in the Premier League (98/99 and 2000/01) which is a good return. 
  • Options
    Dire game of football against possibly the worst team we've played this season ( Northampton might have been worse ) .Oshilaja again looked solid and JFC continues to impress.  Peterborough will be a lot tougher  , so our finishing will have to be better on Tuesday  .

Is this a joke ? Dire game of football !
    From first to last minute we had a shape,
    We created 10 decent chances but everyone left their scoring boots at home and only a bizarre corner gave us a much deserved win.  

Other than the Wimbledon second half that was the best we have played going forward.

If you thought that was dire WTF did you think of Our performances since the International break ?
    Football is a game of opinions  . Watched match with two other Charlton fans who thought we sank to their level . An improvement yes on previous two or three games , but still underperforming in my view .
  • Options
    Scholes comes to mind as a player that gambled and scored a lot of goals as a result. I think fitness is a factor amongst composure when the chance comes.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Interesting - I never really thought of Bowyer as a goal scoring midfielder but his record at Leeds (38 in 203) was pretty decent. He actually scored 9 goals in two of his seasons in the Premier League (98/99 and 2000/01) which is a good return. 
    Go back to when he was playing for us. Every goal was low into the corner. Nothing flamboyant, just put it in the corner.
  • Options
    Scholes comes to mind as a player that gambled and scored a lot of goals as a result. I think fitness is a factor amongst composure when the chance comes.
    Yes Scholes is one of the players that he goes on to talk about in that interview.
  • Options
    Frank ‘Deflection’ Lampard fine alright off the back of a lot of “lucky goals”. JFC is working hard, taking shots, and getting rewards. I know just hope he can stay fit until we have enough midfielders back that he can be rested. He’s another one now with a lot of consecutive games in his legs and a patchy injury record. 
  • Options
    There was a chance in the first half where Aneke teed him up he should have done better with. But he was there and another time he scores or forces the keeper into a save. 
  • Options
    Amos: barely troubled
    Matthews: decent
    Gunter: decent
    Oshilaja: got where he needed to be most of the time
    Maatsen: a defender forst and foremost, criticism of his attacking play is spectacularly missing the point - like playing him right midfield!
    Williams: his best showing for us in ages - which isn't praise - will the real JW please return
    Forster-Caskey: the player without whom we would currently be shitty shit mcshit
    Morgan: did everything Bows could have asked him including simplifying Tuesday's selection by opting out to be replaced by Pratley 😃
    Millar: exceptional at this level
    Aneke: unprecedented longevity, effort and impact for a consecutive appearance from this enigmatic underachiever
    Washington: worked his nuts off in familiar fashion but nothing fell for him
    Referee: adequate I suppose

Smyth: must feel like Bowyer's scapegoat for the week
    Schwartz: oops! glad that howler proved irrelevant, hopefully that's now out of his system...
    Bogle: as good as Aneke in the 1 on 1's 😬🤪😂
    Gilbey: why, just why?

Oi Bowyer have you got it now?  That's 1.5 games in succession with few blokes out of position tasked with jobs they don't have the tools for - works well doesn't it?  Y'know players asked to do the things they're mostly familiar and fit for?  Could be the way forward 🤪 K.I.S.S!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    I dont know why its suddenly be brought up as such a meme now as seeing it all over the place

But the original is a picture of four mates each who look giant twats posing pretending to look cool

Its a couple of years old now too

Dont want to stoke the flames but found it a bit humorous, especially the first one with Bowyer what with the "dressing room unrest"
    No it's 4 blokes miming/lip syncing a sea shanty
    The sea shanty one is new, it’s been a meme on Twitter for a long time now. 

It went viral because of how stupidly they’re dressed and how stereotypical their “laddishness” is.

It's only watching this now that I see it's actually a doctored copy of the image turned into a video! 

Never noticed that before.
    Do they seriously think that's a good look?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    I dont know why its suddenly be brought up as such a meme now as seeing it all over the place

But the original is a picture of four mates each who look giant twats posing pretending to look cool

Dont want to stoke the flames but found it a bit humorous, especially the first one with Bowyer what with the "dressing room unrest"

It went viral because of how stupidly they’re dressed and how stereotypical their “laddishness” is.

It's only watching this now that I see it's actually a doctored copy of the image turned into a video! 

Never noticed that before.
    Do they seriously think that's a good look?
    Rumour has it those grey trousers are so tight he just lives in them... Must be a bastard to try and take them off after a night out!! 
  • Options
    Didn't watch the stream & have only read the first 3 pages on here as I wanted to see the "highlights" before commenting.

Just viewed Sky's 1m & 45 secs.......wow ! Seems like it was all Rovers in the first half (which was not what was reported on the match thread) and on another day we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time. 

Both Schwartz's & Bogle's misses look awful. Really have to improve in front of goal if we have any ambition of finishing in the top 6. Not that we will because even an idiot can see that by looking at the table there are at least 3 teams who will be above us once we've all played the same number of games. Around 8th is where I'd place us if I was a betting man. 

As for Peterborough on Tuesday. Not sure if Bowyer will put Pearce straight back into the back 4 or put Pratley there & bring back Gilbey into the midfield, although I doubt he can do much else unless he goes back to  putting players in the wrong positions.

Just shows you can’t trust highlights. And I can’t remember Rovers having a decent chance let alone us possibly being two or three down. And that’s not forgetting Chuks couple of decent chances. Load of tosh I’m afraid.
    I thought the header near the end where their player headed over was a decent chance. If he had kept it low it was very dangerous. But we had a  number of chances that more often than not would have ended in a goal. It was a mixture of being unfortunate and poor choices/finishing. We can't claim to be unlucky as the goal we scored was very lucky, but all things being equal that game was probably a 3-1 to us. 2-1 at a push.
    Agree. Personally felt they should have scored at least 1, and the truth is our defending was looking fragile on at least a few occasions. The quicker we can get Gunter out the centre back pairing the better.
    I also feel that we have missed Watson in DM. As hard as JFC and Albie worked yesterday, Watson's positioning really screens the CB's from danger and stops opposition attacks from getting to the point of critical blocks.

Which is another point about JFC making runs into the box. If he did it 20 times per game with Albie as his CM pair, I guarantee a few of those occasions would end up with the opposition carving through our midfield and having a good chance themselves.

Millar has quickly become an important player to us though - his pace and directness is what we've been lacking in turning defence into attack.
  • Options
    When are we playing Bristol Rovers again?.
    Tuesday and the rest of the season apparently.

• Options
    Much better overall performance than of late built on a stronger foundation at the back. Deji was imperious and JFC sublime in a match we throughly deserved to win. It does make it easier to win when we're not conceding stupid goals at the back even though our attack was somewhat misfiring. Everyone played their part and gave their all in a very committed performance. Some good partnerships developing and no one had a bad game. Maatsen and Millar work very well together but I feel Maatsens final ball and thought process could sometimes  be better. Gunter improved during the 2nd half and CB in not his preferred position so it'll be nice to have Akin back. Onwards and hopefully upwards
  • Options

Is this a joke ? Dire game of football !
    From first to last minute we had a shape,
    We created 10 decent chances but everyone left their scoring boots at home and only a bizarre corner gave us a much deserved win.  

Other than the Wimbledon second half that was the best we have played going forward.

If you thought that was dire WTF did you think of Our performances since the International break ?
    Football is a game of opinions  . Watched match with two other Charlton fans who thought we sank to their level . An improvement yes on previous two or three games , but still underperforming in my view .
    it wasn't dire -  it was frustrating because bristol rovers were poor and we were so in control but couldn't get the ball in the net - ive seen far worse this season and last when LB had the handbrake pulled right up 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:

Is that the Village People?

Next, they'll all be singing "YMCA".  :neutral: