Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    No complaints over Albie sending off. No idea what he was thinking for either yellow. 
    "If I don't put challenges in at every opportunity, I'll get slammed by my manager to the media and dropped."
    I’ve seen this narrative mentioned a few times and I don’t get it. 

I may be misremembering, but I’ve only seen Bowyer publicly slam senior pro’s if they’re bottling 50-50’s or jumping out of tackles. Albie was right to go for the ball but he stupidly left a foot in and that’s only down to inexperience, not his manager being annoyed at players jumping out the way of tackles. 

On the whole he’s pretty forgiving of mistakes when players are trying to do the right thing for the team, as shown with Morgan and Pearce recently. Look at the difference in Jonny Williams today, fighting for the ball and winning headers. That’s only happening because of what Bowyer has said to him and not only is he a better player for it, we’re a better team because of it.
    Yeah I agree - There was one moment today where Williams neither dived into a tackle or jumped out of it

He just stood there (not literally) and let the ball smash against him

Imagine thats the very least that Bowyer wants to see from his players - You dont always need to go sliding in as you will run the risk of getting yourself injured or sent off - You dont want to see your players literally getting out the way though, whats the point of them being there if so
    Exactly, with Bowyer it’s all about the team - there’s no wiggle room to carry individuals. 

You don’t have be another Pratley or dive into every 50-50, but you certainly can’t avoid them, which Williams and Maddison have been guilty of. 
  • Options
    Two of our goals this season we have prevented by clearing before it went in. Fortunately neither have cost us any points (Blackpool and today).
  • Options
    Two of our goals this season we have prevented by clearing before it went in. Fortunately neither have cost us any points (Blackpool and today).
    Which was the one against Blackpool?
  • Options
    IIRC, Inniss headed it and it was going in, then Bogle tapped it in but was offside.
  • Options
    IIRC, Inniss headed it and it was going in, then Bogle tapped it in but was offside.
    Of course!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    se9addick said:
    I dont know why its suddenly be brought up as such a meme now as seeing it all over the place

But the original is a picture of four mates each who look giant twats posing pretending to look cool

Its a couple of years old now too

Dont want to stoke the flames but found it a bit humorous, especially the first one with Bowyer what with the "dressing room unrest"
  • Options
    Didn't watch the stream & have only read the first 3 pages on here as I wanted to see the "highlights" before commenting.

Just viewed Sky's 1m & 45 secs.......wow ! Seems like it was all Rovers in the first half (which was not what was reported on the match thread) and on another day we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time. 

Both Schwartz's & Bogle's misses look awful. Really have to improve in front of goal if we have any ambition of finishing in the top 6. Not that we will because even an idiot can see that by looking at the table there are at least 3 teams who will be above us once we've all played the same number of games. Around 8th is where I'd place us if I was a betting man. 

As for Peterborough on Tuesday. Not sure if Bowyer will put Pearce straight back into the back 4 or put Pratley there & bring back Gilbey into the midfield, although I doubt he can do much else unless he goes back to  putting players in the wrong positions.

Definitely wasn’t all Rovers in the first half. Charlton were the better team in both half’s and there were very good chances in the second for Schwartz and Bogle to have made the score line more comprehensive. I wouldn’t say Schwartz’ miss was “awful” - looked like he got his boot caught in the turf at the crucial
    moment. 
  • Options
    I thought it must be a penalty by the way he went down at the time, preventing a certain goal. Admittedly it wasn't.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Schwartz did little today but early days yet, so not many minutes under his belt, I'm sure he will show us more as time goes by. 

It was Schwartz's ball to send away Bogle for the one-on-one.
    If Bogle scores, which he should, it's an assist for Ronnie.

Bogle misses and nobody notices/remembers Schwarz's contribution.

Against Rochdale, it was Schwarz's incisive pass to Gunter, who crossed for our 3rd goal.
    Schwarz makes the defence splitting 'assist the assist' pass ...... like Shinnie is noted for.

But nobody remembers that either!

God knows what happened when he tripped over but Gunter's effort (?) he was probably just guilty of being too eager in following the shot in - Statuesque has been a problem at times for our Strikers (especially the spilled shot at Gillingham) so can laugh but cant fault his desire
    Just watched it back on Sky highlights ......... Smith crosses low, but it comes in under Bogle's feet who tries to squeeze a back flick to Schwarz. Unfortunately, it's a bit behind Ronnie's stride and completely wrongfoots him.
    Just watched it back myself a few times... Not sure if its slightly behind him - Looks more as though he's got too much time to think about it, cant decide whether to place or just smash it, and by the time he makes his mind up he's too late
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Schwartz did little today but early days yet, so not many minutes under his belt, I'm sure he will show us more as time goes by. 

Against Rochdale, it was Schwarz's incisive pass to Gunter, who crossed for our 3rd goal.
    Schwarz makes the defence splitting 'assist the assist' pass ...... like Shinnie is noted for.

God knows what happened when he tripped over but Gunter's effort (?) he was probably just guilty of being too eager in following the shot in - Statuesque has been a problem at times for our Strikers (especially the spilled shot at Gillingham) so can laugh but cant fault his desire
    Just watched it back on Sky highlights ......... Smith crosses low, but it comes in under Bogle's feet who tries to squeeze a back flick to Schwarz
    Unfortunately, it's a bit behind Ronnie's stride and completely wrongfoots him.

There's a strong appeal from other Charlton players close by ...... both Schwarz's marker or the keeper going in for the challenge might have clipped Ronnie before playing the ball? 

I can't think what else our players would have appealed for?

Schwarz's inadvertant block of Gunter's goal bound header was just plain unfortunate - happens often enough in football at all levels.
    Nothing much any player can do about it.

I thought he was clipped, Mrs TT didn't. Strange there were no replays shown of the incident. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Good win. We played better than recently. We played better than Rovers. We won and could have won by more. Everyone looked so much more comfortable playing in their preferred position. That boosts confidence which in turn means you can achieve things that you can't when everyone's looking over their shoulder wondering if they're up to the task they've been asked to do.

One thing I would take issue with is Bowyer's comment about Millar. I don't think that's a sign of being 'young and innocent', I think that's a sign of being fundamentally honest. Good on him. Who wants to play with someone who tries to take credit for team-mate's goals? It's a team game, not an individual one. Do your damnedest to get the last touch, but don't claim what isn't yours. That doesn't make you experienced, that doesn't make you mature and that doesn't make you a better footballer; that makes you an arse hole.
    Steady, Stig ....... I don't believe Millar himself was claiming the goal, after all he was one of a number of players who ran over to JFC, stood at the corner flag with his arms held wide in celebration.

It was the Press Association (who supply stats, etc to media outlets) which credited the goal to Millar, not Millar himself.
    And when JFC saw that on Sky afterwards, he sent them texts asking for it be corrected!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Stig said:
    Good win. We played better than recently. We played better than Rovers. We won and could have won by more. Everyone looked so much more comfortable playing in their preferred position. That boosts confidence which in turn means you can achieve things that you can't when everyone's looking over their shoulder wondering if they're up to the task they've been asked to do.

One thing I would take issue with is Bowyer's comment about Millar. I don't think that's a sign of being 'young and innocent', I think that's a sign of being fundamentally honest. Good on him. Who wants to play with someone who tries to take credit for team-mate's goals? It's a team game, not an individual one. Do your damnedest to get the last touch, but don't claim what isn't yours. That doesn't make you experienced, that doesn't make you mature and that doesn't make you a better footballer; that makes you an arse hole.
    Steady, Stig ....... I don't believe Millar himself was claiming the goal, after all he was one of a number of players who ran over to JFC, stood at the corner flag with his arms held wide in celebration.

It was the Press Association (who supply stats, etc to media outlets) which credited the goal to Millar, not Millar himself.
    And when JFC saw that on Sky afterwards, he sent them texts asking for it be corrected!

I thought it was all a very lighthearted leg pulling all round. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I dont know why its suddenly be brought up as such a meme now as seeing it all over the place

But the original is a picture of four mates each who look giant twats posing pretending to look cool

Dont want to stoke the flames but found it a bit humorous, especially the first one with Bowyer what with the "dressing room unrest"
    No it's 4 blokes miming/lip syncing a sea shanty
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Just watched it back on Sky highlights ......... Smith crosses low, but it comes in under Bogle's feet who tries to squeeze a back flick to Schwarz
    Unfortunately, it's a bit behind Ronnie's stride and completely wrongfoots him.

There's a strong appeal from other Charlton players close by ...... both Schwarz's marker or the keeper going in for the challenge might have clipped Ronnie before playing the ball? 

I can't think what else our players would have appealed for?

Schwarz's inadvertant block of Gunter's goal bound header was just plain unfortunate - happens often enough in football at all levels.
    Nothing much any player can do about it.

I thought he was clipped, Mrs TT didn't. Strange there were no replays shown of the incident. 
    I didn't think so at first, either ..... but there were Charlton players in the frame strongly appealing for a penalty.
    Did they see something that the ref didn't?

Look at the way Ronnie went flying, it does give the impression that he was caught by the keeper sticking his leg out before blocking the ball.
    Surely that's the incident that the Charlton players were appealing for?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:

No it's 4 blokes miming/lip syncing a sea shanty
    The sea shanty one is new, it’s been a meme on Twitter for a long time now. 

It went viral because of how stupidly they’re dressed and how stereotypical their “laddishness” is.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I thought he caught his studs in a lump in the turf.

It is what it is. He did well barring that and the block.