Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• A good signing.  We do  go a bit route one with Jayden in the side , but this is League1 . If he stays fit he is capable of 20+ goals at this level and the defensive side to his game is impressive. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Hmmm. I'm glad we've signed someone, especially someone who was effective for us last season, and wants to be here, BUT, I didn't enjoy the style of football we employed at times last season, endlessly punting it up to Jayden as no-one supported him, and therefore I hope with him signing that's it for the more direct way of playing signings, and we sign a few players who can play to Stockley's strengths, but also sign a few players who can play a very different style of football. 
    Think we have to take this on faith. Adkins has almost always had a target man up front, and none of the fans of clubs he's managed have moaned about unattractive football. Well, aside from the couple who moan about everything. It's the first part of the masterplan. 
  • It's great that he signed a 3 year contract, no more rebuilding every summer.

Now if only we could get those that signed multi year contracts to "jog on" we could do more rebuilding.......

Got to love twitter. 
  • Great first signing which will hopefully set the tone for the summer ahead.
  • What a player not only does he scores goals he creates opportunities and brings others into play 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
  • Gotta be happy with this as our first piece of business. As good as we're likely to get in Div 1.
  • cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Alex Gilbey seems like exactly the sort of character we fans love having around at Charlton?
    Jury is still massively out for me.  good to see he's engaged with Stockley signing, but I thought he was very average on the pitch last season.  He needs a consistent run of decent performances to convince me he's anywhere near capable of a promotion midfield set up.
    I'm with you when he played isolated but when he got the correct support, he was much more effective.

Here's hoping that support continues into the new season. 
    @cabbles was talking about Gilbey
    Oh bugger! Well he had no right to on a Stockley thread ;-)
  • Good signing, more to come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very pleased. Good striker at this level. Think there's more to come from Jayden. Seems a good lad to. Hope we can now start to strengthen and build a promotion challenging team in earnest
  • Welcome to the club Jayden, lets hope thats the start of a few decent players coming in.
  • aliwibble said:
    Justin Allen has been the slightly more reliable Sun journalist

Charlton fan isn't he?
    Nah speaks far too posh to be a Charlton fan
    Depends if you sit in the West Upper. :smile:

• Great stuff ! 

Del Roofer clearly did an excellent job in selling the dream to Jayden.....
  • But it was OK when he was letting us down to go there because they offered more money than us?
  • Get a robust, dynamic and creative set of players around him and he'll do very well. Lots of dangerous crosses into the box, fullbacks overloading etc. Also seems a good egg to have around, and as we know, to get out of this league you need a well-bonded, tight-knit team. Happy days.
  • sam3110 said:
    Hmmm. I'm glad we've signed someone, especially someone who was effective for us last season, and wants to be here, BUT, I didn't enjoy the style of football we employed at times last season, endlessly punting it up to Jayden as no-one supported him, and therefore I hope with him signing that's it for the more direct way of playing signings, and we sign a few players who can play to Stockley's strengths, but also sign a few players who can play a very different style of football. 
    Having a target man doesn’t mean we will play long ball. You only have to compare how Bournemouth used Yann with the way we did to see a player like that can be equally effective in different ways.

I’m not saying he’s as good as Yann but I think we’ll see a team who will play out from the back when we can and use long balls as an option. I don’t think Adkins likes using 3 CMs just to make the team solid defensively, it’s also to allow his teams to play through the midfield and press the opposition high up the pitch.
  • Welcome back Jayden; you know it makes sense. It'll be interesting to see how his all-round play develops with more athleticism in midfield, players making runs to benefit from his hold up play - but not at the expense of his superb heading at goal. As mentioned elsewhere, good crosses from full backs as well as any new wingers could prove priceless.
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Having a target man doesn’t mean we will play long ball. You only have to compare how Bournemouth used Yann with the way we did to see a player like that can be equally effective in different ways.

I’m not saying he’s as good as Yann but I think we’ll see a team who will play out from the back when we can and use long balls as an option. I don’t think Adkins likes using 3 CMs just to make the team solid defensively, it’s also to allow his teams to play through the midfield and press the opposition high up the pitch.
    Ideally, it is about options. Certainly a place for hoofball from time to time as long it isn't your go to. If we are going to get balls in the box, we need somebody to capitalise on them so very happy with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• We can play a couple of different ways with Jayden spearheading the attack. The obvious aim is to play with real width looking to get the ball into the box on his "bonce" and other marrauding midfielders. The second is less attractive but an option late in games, long ball, get runners off him and hit him long.

Overrall a very good signing, aren't many better players in the air at this level and can also hold the ball it with no small amount of skill.

Just need some top quality wingers to supply him and a creative CM to supply them.
  • Do they not understand they came in AFTER we had already been talking to the player?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Do they not understand they came in AFTER we had already been talking to the player?
    Pompey- the place where they confuse paediatricians and paedophiles, so no they probably don’t get it
  • ross1 said:

Not sure this is very flattering!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It's great that he signed a 3 year contract, no more rebuilding every summer.

Now if only we could get those that signed multi year contracts to "jog on" we could do more rebuilding.......

Got to love twitter. 
    Hasn't your second point completely contradicted your first point?
  • I feel weird by all this as Jayden seems to be really keen and eager on Charlton! 
  • Hal1x said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's great that he signed a 3 year contract, no more rebuilding every summer.

Got to love twitter. 
    Hasn't your second point completely contradicted your first point?
    That was the point.......