Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    i like chucks a lot but u can't build a promotion team around a bloke who can only play every now and then - stockley would be the only forward i would want to keep
    Giving Chuks a contract is very different to building a team round him.

If you have a striker like Stockley and 3 others that are good enough (a situation we haven't had all season) you don't need Aneke to play 90 minutes 3 times a week.

Having a Stockley gives you so many options, be it one up front, 2, 3, a plan B off the bench.  It also allows you to do things like bring Chuks on for someone like Gilbey.

Plan A, this season, has too often been stay in the game until Chuks can come on.  Stockley, Washington plus 1 would stop that being the case.  If Ronnie comes good as well its a bonus. 
  • edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Hard to watch Stockley when he's up front on his own. He's very good with a partner, though. Tough decision for Adkins because I don't think Jaden is his kind of player at all, he likes strikers who are good to feet. But Jaden has done well for us. 
    I wasn’t convinced by him but the more I think about it you can’t blame him for players hoofing it up to him, he wants to play for us and he’s a striker scoring goals. He’ll look better with his feet if we get it in to his feet and chest more often, no reason why we can’t get there in time.

Get better players in and implement a style over pre-season and I can see us finding the right balance - use him as an outlet when required and play out from the back when we can. We had a decent balance of that in both of our recent promotion seasons.

He’s also a great age - there are so many examples of target men type strikers reaching their peak in their late 20s/early 30s. By that age they’ve built up experience and know how to make the most of their strength. If they find the right club they can thrive with good service and pace, energy and movement around them - exactly the type of players Adkins has said he wants to sign. There’s a lot more to come from him, let’s not miss that chance.
    Agree he'd be good in the right games where you need a big man. We know there are some horrible matches in this division with bad pitches where you can't play it along the floor.

He might look a little better to feet if he receives it there, but he's not a technical player, and looking at Adkins past lone strikers in his favoured 4231, they all were.

I'd certainly keep him for the squad if I were manager, but interested to see what the boss decides.
  • Have a look at who owns the agency Stockley is under, the same as DJ and Matt Smith... Jon Fortune
    Explains how we were partly able to convince him to join in the first place then
  • AndyG said:
    I think we are being u fair when it is said he cant deal with the ball to feet. Last game there were 2 or 3 occasions where he took the ball on his chest and held it up until he got support from millar. Maybe if he had more balls delivered below head height we might find out he can play a bit
    For most of the last 30 years we have been rubbish at playing to a target man.  I would almost say lazy.

Far to often its been hoofed in their general direction.  We have seen some text book "target man" goals and assists from Stockley but he is much more dangerous attacking crosses.   

I am convinced that neither Bowyer or Adkins have ever instructed the players just to hoof it in his general direction.  The same way I am sure Curbs didn't tell them to just smash somewhere near Carlo.

Done well, with even a half decent target man, it's almost unstoppable.  As we have witnessed against us multiple times.
  • He not the most comfortable with the ball at his feet but he isn’t a disaster either. His goal bs Lincoln showed he has some decent tekkers in his locker and one think I like about him is he does look to lay it off early, often with a big switch of play to open up space for a winger. 
  • Stockley's strength is, undoubtedly, his aerial threat but some of his goals have been from headers he has no right to win and where he would have had no chance of scoring with his feet i.e. the brave diving headers where he is at full stretch. It is such an advantage for a wide player to know that he can sling a cross in to the right area at any height and that the centre forward will get on the end of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Expected to be confirmed as perm about now 
  • Time to get that title updated. :smiley:
  • Make him skipper?
  • Without knowing figures for transfer fee or wages etc. It would have been a disaster if we allowed to sign for a promotion rival in league 1. He has shown since signing on loan he a good player at this level. Very pleased that he has signed.
  • A good signing this.
    We need at least another 6 or 7 to replace those who have left.
    I believe we will be pleasantly surprised this window. 
    Keep the faith. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good news.

• edited June 2021
  • A bit of stability in the squad at last and good to see a long-term contract handed out. 
  • Excellent news, the contract term
    is a really good sign too.

Happy, happy, happy!!
  • Great singing, very happy. Seems he was Pompeys no.1 target so it's a great sign that we've beat them to it.

I do wonder if the fact we've announced him before any of the out of contract players means they will not be re-signing
  • Good news, who's  next 😁.