Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Based on results we've got 15 points from the last 14 games - a bit more than a blip.

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
    Because when they were signed it wasn't the start of a long-term project!! We were on our way to oblivion. The summer signings were therefore what we could get. This window is the first of the project, and if we have signed a couple of loans, it's because they improve the squad. 
    You don't understand how linear time works?
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Is it just me but I get really frustrated with Pratley and Pearce giving way silly needless fouls. You would think with all their experience they would know better
    Older players tend to have lost their 'quick feet'.

Because they're no longer quick enough over the 1st half yard, they tend to stretch or lunge for the ball ...... and often they're just a split-second late and catch the player, who's too quick for them.

Pearce, Pratley, Watson - they've picked up plenty of bookings for just that, this season.

• Options
    The difference when Shinnie came on was huge.
    Williams was hiding for much of that first half and offered no 'outs' for his team mates instead choosing to hide amongst the opposition. Bowyer should be rightly pissed off with him.
    Williams was really poor today. Big opportunity which he didn’t take. Shinnie and Morgan rightfully jumped in front of him. Really hard to see where he fit in at the moment. Not forgetting Maddison who always offer a goal threat.

Personally, if someone needs to leave for budget reason between now and end of the
    month, Williams would be my pick by a mile.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Williams was hiding for much of that first half and offered no 'outs' for his team mates instead choosing to hide amongst the opposition. Bowyer should be rightly pissed off with him.
    Williams was really poor today. Big opportunity which he didn’t take. Shinnie and Morgan rightfully jumped in front of him. Really hard to see where he fit in at the moment. Not forgetting Maddison who always offer a goal threat.

Personally, if someone needs to leave for budget reason between now and end of the
    month, Williams would be my pick by a mile.
     Was just thinking exactly the same. He's becoming a bit of a liability .
    I love the lad, but he just don't fit now.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    We’re sliding into mid table obscurity, which with this squad is really embarrassing. Change of manager would likely be best i think
    Still 6th though...
    But the team above us have 2 extra points and 4 games in hand. Everyone else has at least 2 games in hand. It's going to look more bleak when they're caught up. Not to mention those below us with games to play.
  • Options
    I think poxed is the word I am looking for,no luck at all today,even Ronnies early shot hit the post and bounced straight into the keepers hand,Ronnies goal looked ok,2 possible penalties denied,woodwork hit 3 times(Chucks should have put his in).Gunter should have been closer to Mathews for the 1st,instead he was miles away and then turned his back on the shot.2nd goal another deflection .We are due some good fortune soon,every mistake we make in defence gets punished.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    esseffect said:
    “Boywer got it all wrong” 

The same people who wanted the same line up
    Your defence of Bowyer is about as leaky as our defence.

Perhaps there’s something wrong with the coaching. Ever thought of that?
    I literally don’t care about Bowyer being the manager. He 100% has flaws... over reliant on older players and more often than not will go defensive when we’re in front.

I just don’t want us to be like the bigger clubs and bin off a manager after a bad run. There were some people calling for his head after we lost to Crewe!
  • Options
    A decent run can sort that out, but if we are conceding goals so cheaply it won't happen. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
    Because when they were signed it wasn't the start of a long-term project!! We were on our way to oblivion. The summer signings were therefore what we could get. This window is the first of the project, and if we have signed a couple of loans, it's because they improve the squad. 
    Pretty well, being a horologist. You?
  • Options
    Washington to score this.
    Has to wrap his leg around it whilst the ball is still moving though

But yeah tries to squeeze it inside the post in the end
    From.wjat I've seen (not live) he should have not even tried taking around the keeper. Should have slotted it down the side or clipped it over the keeper. 

But 1 on 1's is our Achilles heel. None of our strikers are comfortable on this situation. Nor was Bonne.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, just a shame it didn't go in from a difficult angle
  • Options
    Disagree with that. He was involved in a few good moves. He got a great cross in for Aneke and was tidy with the ball. Won a good header in the box he had no right to. One thing that I picked up on towards the end of the half, he had it out wide in our own half, cut in, drove to the middle and passed allowing us to build. Too many of our players just scuff it forwards to opponents in that situation.  
     Some early shit or bust moments from him then he bust. We need more than 15mins from anyone in that role.

Hiding is unforgivable and he did a lot of that today.
  • Options
    He did as much as JFC and Pratley in the first half and had more quality than Pratley. He needs others doing their bit around him. Very short sighted to pick on him. If you analyse his first half performance it was not bad.  
  • Options
    Well Bowyer obviously thought it was. And he was proved right.
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:

Your defence of Bowyer is about as leaky as our defence.

Perhaps there’s something wrong with the coaching. Ever thought of that?
    I literally don’t care about Bowyer being the manager. He 100% has flaws... over reliant on older players and more often than not will go defensive when we’re in front.

I just don’t want us to be like the bigger clubs and bin off a manager after a bad run. There were some people calling for his head after we lost to Crewe!
    And they were stupid. But how long do you give him? 
  • Options
    Some over reaction here. We are in play off position, have just strengthened our squad (again) and apart from the obvious defensive mistakes we are are playing well and improving. Playoffs without a doubt and with a bit of luck and our 2 central defenders returning, might still have a shout at automatic. Nurse, medicine please.....
    Games played will kill off any hope of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't try to contradict me with what Bowyer thinks! One of his big weaknesses this season is how he has used Williams. I think the sooner Bowyer leaves, the better.
  • Options
    Actually, it is one of many.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Supposed to be way too good for this league but barely shows up each week and gets praised for doing a few basic things right. 

He really could be a good player but he has no drive. He's coasting. His lack of effort and application is not befitting the shirt. Personally I'm pleased this will be his last season wearing it.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    esseffect said:

i don't blame LB - other than starting pratley - morgan in there - or shinnie and our attacking play probably would have gone from nearly very dangerous to actually very dangerous - however, we must surely start getting some breaks (i don't ever remember matthews allowing somebody to walk round him like that before - was he expecting the centre half to be there? i don't know) and i think that once even just one of the centre halfs comes back and teams up with oshalaja, we will click and go on the run that we need - i think LB can start picking a settled side then as well so funnily enough , i'm feeling reasonably optimistic but just need LB to release that final bit of handbrake and keep the non footballers like pratley on the bench  
    Lots of people pre match saying that's our strongest line up. 

Not for me, Morgan has to be in that 11.

I said after 20 that shinnie and Morgan for Williams and Pratley our only hope. 
    my starting line up in the pre match thread was exactly as we started other than morgan instead of pratley - i would definitely have shinnie in it once fully fit and probably would drop williams out now - play him in the hole or in the middle or don't play him - he's not a winger - i probably would go with morgan shinnie jfc and millar in the hole next game - curbs would have stasrted like that today - lb isn't curbs - not yet, probably never  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If we think it was hard building a team to compete this season, itl be even harder next year when we lose another 10 players due to contracts and also chucks is playing for someone else.

We are going to need more favours and theyl soon run out. We cant buy players or luck atm. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:

Pretty well, being a horologist. You?
    I mend my car, doesn't make me a formula 1 machanic. 

We signed all the "old men" after we were saved by Thomas, through choice.  What project starts with the building blocks of Watson, Gunter, Maddison, Bogle and Matthews? 

Of course you need experience but we already had Pearce, Pratley, Oshilaja, JFC, Williams, Purrington, Amos, Aneke, Washington and Gilbey.

If they are/were don't get relegated signings so we could rebuild from January, why are they all on multi year contracts, or at least have options?
  • Options
    Thought we played ok, but it’s the same scenario as previous games. We have a good strong squad, but I think Bows overthinks it, and players try to be too clever. This is league one, concentrate on the basics first then show boat. Simple passes, the amount of times poor passing behind players ruined or slowed a break, or the wrong pass being made. And the obvious, try to pick out a red shirt!
    We have good players, so you have to look at the coaching and tactics. I thought Bows got the selection right today and it showed, but poor finishing and more schoolboy errors cost us again. But I do have to say if this team clicks we will walk this league even now!
  • Options
    All getting a bit predictable and repetitive . Result not good enough. Defence is poor, and we need to start being more ruthless and clinical. I'm stating the obvious. Not putting up the white flag yet. When is this run that Bow keeps talking about going to start? Hopefully on Tuesday. Some positives today but still very disappointing result.