Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Don't try to contradict me with what Bowyer thinks! One of his big weaknesses this season is how he has used Williams. I think the sooner Bowyer leaves, the better.
    Bowyer has made mistakes and so have the fans. Massively not understanding anything about football so slagging off Williams is one of the fans. 

• Options
    We didn't exactly have the luck today did we! Another day we would have scored 5. A shambles of a first half at the back but we were good going forwards. Bowyer changed it up at half time and it almost paid off. Shinnie was huge when he came on. We've been missing his link up play. Far more positives than negatives in today's game as far as I was concerned and I can see us going on a run. At least we're playing on the front foot now which is different to a few weeks ago. But the defence continues to be a problem, and we can't keep playing catch-up. That needs to be sorted out.
    Onto Tuesday. I fancy us there.
  • Options
    hopefully maddison will get a crack once fit as well now - i'm a lot more relaxed about it all now because at least lb is playing our attacking players - whether he can arrange them in a way that gets results is what the top managers do - i'm not convinced he can do that but we shall see because we have now got the weapons in the squad to do it and i'm sure the returning cb's will sort out the defensive nonsense - if your cb's aren't great, it impacts the full backs as well and i'm confident all that will get resolved soon - the return of steady eddy purrington should have happened weeks ago as well which will help and now looks likely - if i'm honest i think lb's management for the last year has been rank amateur but with all the players back, swe have half a chance now we have the strikeforce  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sort the defence out and it will come as we score goals and we have already shown with half decent defenders we can defend. It is 23rd January and we seem nowhere near bringing in a centre half. It should be our first priority, second priority, third priority.......

Oh never mind that, let's just blame Williams.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A draw isn't good enough but it was an entertaining game which we should have won by about 4 goals. 

Blame the manager all you want, Amos could have done better, Matthews should have done better and then Shinnie, Aneke and Washington all missed golden chances where it could have been 5-2 at least.

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

On the to next game where hopefully we can defend and our quality can show and get us a result 
    Which players aren't good enough?

Not rocket science is it.

What quality, you told me 2 hours ago the players were shit.  Make you mind up man child. 
    Seems man child has struck home a bit my bad, if you didn't act like one I wouldn't feel the need to say it though tbf

What I'll do to make it is easier is list the players who I think are good enough/bench material

XI: Innis, Aneke, Schwartz, JFC, Watson, Gunter, Maddison

Bench: Oshilaja, Morgan, Washington, Pratley

Everyone else is either a loan or not good enough or I think we can improve on.

Hardly screams best team in the league to me.

I'll keep saying this, I keep reading we have one of the best teams in the division, yet no one (I assume!) watches other side's play as much as Charlton or could name players other than the obvious ones. It's arrogance at its finest and nothing more than guess work. Here is my take, I've seen in excess of 6 or so players who would start for us or at least make the bench, maybe more if I think hard enough so how could our squad possibly be as strong as made out? 

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Yes, that is where i would play him but he is above the level. When people pick on him and not players that are playing below the level, it is pretty telling.

If you watched that first half again, Williams was not the problem. Tidy with the ball, made a few decent runs. Great cross that Aneke should have done better with, great header in box that just didn't fall for Aneke. Got into good positions a number of times but ball didn't come to him. Had a great chance he should have done better with, but he got in the position and Shinnie and others did the same.

I'm not saying it was a MOTM performance or even his best. But if you are going to blame him or be ultra critical of him over it, it is more looking for a scapegoat than anything else.   
     Fine . So how do you explain the fact we played a hundred times better when he came off?
  • Options
    What's happened to Pratley? He seems to have lost the speed/fitness he had last season. Stupid fouls and carrying the ball away when the ref awards a free kick against him. Asking for a yellow.

Pearce looked even slower than Tuesday night.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Because a) we changed formation (tactics are not mints) b) we were more desperate and c) Shinnie made a big difference. The thing is, Shinnie could have replaced Pratley and I think we would have been better for it.

Also, we were not terrible in the first half. Our defence was, but we hit the post, hit the bar and created a few chances.
  • Options
    Watched live.
    How did we not win that.
    We should have been able to gift them two goals and still won comfortably.
    Hit the bar and post.
    Chucks missed a sitter.
    Ronnie had a goal disallowed for offside but wasn't.
    Oddly though wasn't impressed with Ronnie although but for a good bit of goalkeeping and poor refereeing he could have bagged two.
    Impressed with Miller (apart from the missed tackle) and Shinnie made a difference second half.
    Oshilaga the pick of the defenders which will make Boyers job difficult when the two C.B. return from injury.
    And here's one for the boo boys, Pearce looked steady when he came on.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
    Because when they were signed it wasn't the start of a long-term project!! We were on our way to oblivion. The summer signings were therefore what we could get. This window is the first of the project, and if we have signed a couple of loans, it's because they improve the squad. 
    and tbf we can't start that properly until we get out of this division and away from the wage cap 
  • Options
    Sort the defence out and it will come as we score goals and we have already shown with half decent defenders we can defend. It is 23rd January and we seem nowhere near bringing in a centre half. It should be our first priority, second priority, third priority.......

Oh never mind that, let's just blame Williams.
    I don't think he had much to do with why we didn't win today. And if we did win, he wouldn't have had much to do with that either.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    What's happened to Pratley? He seems to have lost the speed/fitness he had last season. Stupid fouls and carrying the ball away when the ref awards a free kick against him. Asking for a yellow.

Pearce looked even slower than Tuesday night.
    Pratley played really well against Peterboro but today he looked off the pace. Pearce is just getting old. Bowyer wants high tempo players and it's difficult for them to sustain it. I would say Watson and Gilbey fall into this category as well.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
    Because when they were signed it wasn't the start of a long-term project!! We were on our way to oblivion. The summer signings were therefore what we could get. This window is the first of the project, and if we have signed a couple of loans, it's because they improve the squad. 
    You don't understand how linear time works?
    Pretty well, being a horologist. You?
    I mend my car, doesn't make me a formula 1 machanic. 

We signed all the "old men" after we were saved by Thomas, through choice.  What project starts with the building blocks of Watson, Gunter, Maddison, Bogle and Matthews? 

Of course you need experience but we already had Pearce, Pratley, Oshilaja, JFC, Williams, Purrington, Amos, Aneke, Washington and Gilbey.

If they are/were don't get relegated signings so we could rebuild from January, why are they all on multi year contracts, or at least have options?
    Yeah... unsurprisingly I'm not a horologist either... but Gunter and Matthews seemed pretty good signings, Watson has divided opinion, Maddison has clear talent. Am sure you said a fifth but don't recognise the name. We had to get what we could. The wage cap is an issue, as are the stupid contracts our best young players were on. But if we'd have had a full summer of Thomas, before the wage cap came in, we'd have a much better team. We now have a decent squad, we need to build a consistent first team, Then in the summer we change a couple, bring in more long-term solutions.
  • Options
    When we concede at least 2 goals a game it's going to be though to get many wins. Bowyer needs to sort this defence out and quickly before it costs him.
  • Options
    Watched live.
    How did we not win that.
    We should have been able to gift them two goals and still won comfortably.
    Hit the bar and post.
    Chucks missed a sitter.
    Ronnie had a goal disallowed for offside but wasn't.
    Oddly though wasn't impressed with Ronnie although but for a good bit of goalkeeping and poor refereeing he could have bagged two.
    Impressed with Miller (apart from the missed tackle) and Shinnie made a difference second half.
    Oshilaga the pick of the defenders which will make Boyers job difficult when the two C.B. return from injury.
    And here's one for the boo boys, Pearce looked steady when he came on.  

Just after we scored he gave away a needless foul (shirt pulling ffs) high up the pitch that slowed the game right down.

He can't defend one on one. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    And anyone who can't see the qualities that Schwartz brings us is blind. He's an out an out poacher. The first was desperately unlucky and he scored a good goal which was ruled offside. We've not had a pure poacher like him for a while.
    This his true. The reason he didn't get two was a great save and a shit official. But he could get involved more. We do need to allow him a bit more settling in time though. I think he will get more than his fair share of goals for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A draw isn't good enough but it was an entertaining game which we should have won by about 4 goals. 

Blame the manager all you want, Amos could have done better, Matthews should have done better and then Shinnie, Aneke and Washington all missed golden chances where it could have been 5-2 at least.

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

On the to next game where hopefully we can defend and our quality can show and get us a result 

What quality, you told me 2 hours ago the players were shit.  Make you mind up man child. 
    Seems man child has struck home a bit my bad, if you didn't act like one I wouldn't feel the need to say it though tbf

What I'll do to make it is easier is list the players who I think are good enough/bench material

I'll keep saying this, I keep reading we have one of the best teams in the division, yet no one (I assume!) watches other side's play as much as Charlton or could name players other than the obvious ones. It's arrogance at its finest and nothing more than guess work. Here is my take, I've seen in excess of 6 or so players who would start for us or at least make the bench, maybe more if I think hard enough so how could our squad possibly be as strong as made out? 

Did you not watch us in the championship last season?   Matthews, Williams, Partley didn't perform there?

You put Maddison and Schwartz in your 1st eleven because of, I assume, because of what you have either seen or read about, of them not in a Charlton shirt?  Because what they have produced in one is bench at best. 

Shinnie is shit is he?  Obviously Millar (who has done more in a Charlton shirt than Schwartz) or Amos (who if he had signed for us, not a championship side would have ment Phillips never played for us).  Don't think Purrington is league 1?  Looked it when he played for us in league 1 in 2019.

Maatsen is, as you rightly say, totally shit, maybe you should get a job at Chelsea and save them a fortune. 

You forgot Jayden.  But obviously, from your comment, loans don't count on the day. 

So you still think 2 points, and 4 goals conceded, against the mighty Swindon is good enough?

I have watched more football in my life than I would care to admit.  These are not bad players.  They are All better than what they are producing.  You can't blame anyone other than the manager can you? 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Did you not watch us in the championship last season?   Matthews, Williams, Partley didn't perform there?

You put Maddison and Schwartz in your 1st eleven because of, I assume, because of what you have either seen or read about, of them not in a Charlton shirt?  Because what they have produced in one is bench at best. 

Shinnie is shit is he?  Obviously Millar (who has done more in a Charlton shirt than Schwartz) or Amos (who if he had signed for us, not a championship side would have ment Phillips never played for us).  Don't think Purrington is league 1?  Looked it when he played for us in league 1 in 2019.

Maatsen is, as you rightly say, totally shit, maybe you should get a job at Chelsea and save them a fortune. 

You forgot Jayden.  But obviously, from your comment, loans don't count on the day. 

So you still think 2 points, and 4 goals conceded, against the mighty Swindon is good enough?

I have watched more football in my life than I would care to admit.  These are not bad players.  They are All better than what they are producing.  You can't blame anyone other than the manager can you? 

Totally agree. It is part of the problem for me. People are seriously underrating the quality of the squad for the level, and by doing so not exposing the weaknesses of the manager. 
  • Options
    Scraping draws at home to bottom sides, says another year in this crap division to me. 
  • Options
    The difference when Shinnie came on was huge.
    Williams was hiding for much of that first half and offered no 'outs' for his team mates instead choosing to hide amongst the opposition. Bowyer should be rightly pissed off with him.
    Disagree with that. He was involved in a few good moves. He got a great cross in for Aneke and was tidy with the ball. Won a good header in the box he had no right to. One thing that I picked up on towards the end of the half, he had it out wide in our own half, cut in, drove to the middle and passed allowing us to build. Too many of our players just scuff it forwards to opponents in that situation.  
     Some early shit or bust moments from him then he bust. We need more than 15mins from anyone in that role.

Hiding is unforgivable and he did a lot of that today.
    Watching on screen, you only see a fraction of a player's contribution, as the camera follows the ball.

You see none of  the tracking back and the movement off the ball; the dummy runs dragging defenders out of position, creating options and space for team mates.
    Around 70-80% of a player's match contribution is made off the ball. 

But you won't see much of that on screen.

• Options
    Yes, that is where i would play him but he is above the level. When people pick on him and not players that are playing below the level, it is pretty telling.

If you watched that first half again, Williams was not the problem. Tidy with the ball, made a few decent runs. Great cross that Aneke should have done better with, great header in box that just didn't fall for Aneke. Got into good positions a number of times but ball didn't come to him. Had a great chance he should have done better with, but he got in the position and Shinnie and others did the same.

I'm not saying it was a MOTM performance or even his best. But if you are going to blame him or be ultra critical of him over it, it is more looking for a scapegoat than anything else.   
    I'm not scapegoating him in anyway but I really can see how he gets all the plaudits he does from our fanbase. How is he above this level ? When has he ever put a consistent decent level of performance? I honestly think he always flatters to deceive and is the ultimate luxury player and if you want to find space for a luxury player then Maddison beats him hands down imo
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Totally agree. It is part of the problem for me. People are seriously underrating the quality of the squad for the level, and by doing so not exposing the weaknesses of the manager. 
    This I think is a key question/point of difference between the "Bowyer deserves time" and the "buck stops at Bowyer" divide.

I don't think anyone wants Bowyer sacked for the sake of it.  I think everyone would agree that in an ideal world Bowyer would take us back to the prem and have Curb like legand status. 

I think we have 25 senior pros on the books, John Sheridan would take all 25, including Bogle, yet we can't beat his team over 2 attempts. 

People need to ask 2 questions.  1) why can't Bowyer get these players playing together and 2) Why can't Bowyer get a formation that gets more than 2 or 3 of his best attacking players in the same team, when he signed them all? 
  • Options
    On another day we'd have won that easily, we had enough chances. 

But ultimately it's not good enough and we're going to be too far behind soon.

5 points from 6 games in January.
    15 points from the last 14 games.
    9th worst defensive record in the division.
    Is it really 15 points from 42? Bloody hell, worse than I thought.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

This I think is a key question/point of difference between the "Bowyer deserves time" and the "buck stops at Bowyer" divide.

I don't think anyone wants Bowyer sacked for the sake of it.  I think everyone would agree that in an ideal world Bowyer would take us back to the prem and have Curb like legand status. 

I think we have 25 senior pros on the books, John Sheridan would take all 25, including Bogle, yet we can't beat his team over 2 attempts. 

People need to ask 2 questions.  1) why can't Bowyer get these players playing together and 2) Why can't Bowyer get a formation that gets more than 2 or 3 of his best attacking players in the same team, why he signed them all? 
    Wish I could give you 100 likes. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Once our CB return then the team can concentrate on goal scoring. There’s too much added pressure placed on the rest of the team plus lessens confidence when the defence makes so many errors. I’m sure we’ve enough time to turn this around and at the very least make the play offs.