Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season. Can probably name two or three players I would allow to go to sign a centre defender.
    What could a different CB have done to stop a goalkeeping error and a deflection? It’s not as if we’re purposely not looking at signing another defender, but with the wage cap you have to weigh up whether or not a cheap defender will improve us or still be as error prone as the rest. 

This was a wasted season from the start considering the past 12 months. We all knew play-offs was the best we could hope for and that’s still a massive possibility. 
  • Options
    We should give up on hopes of signing a centre back. We have four plus Gunter and Pratley. Cant see a CB signing being sanctioned. I suspect that if fit, Famewo plays as part of the deal with Norwich. 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:
    “Boywer got it all wrong” 

The same people who wanted the same line up
    Jesus, do you ever post about the actual performances rather than just digging out other posters.
    Sorry fella, just frustrated with the armchair managers you love to give it out but can’t take criticism.

Thought we were poor first half with no real bite and then turned it on in the 2nd.

Fair enough mate.
  • Options
    It's my fault that we only drew as my wife said to me at half time would I take a point....

Sorry lifers!

Yes of course we should have won but giving teams a head start with two goals most weeks is ridiculous. 

Still feel something ain't right but it's probably my age!

Not sure TS will sack LB... Think he will be given a few more games but we need to go on a run and with this defence I just can't see it.

Onto the MK franchise and another must win. 
  • Options
    Gutted to drop 2 points but we're still in with a shout for a play off place?
    Swindon must be gutted as that 2 points dropped would have moved them up 5 places out of relegation
  • Options
    Not sure we need another midfielder. Defence should be the focus for the rest of the window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting a bit fed up with trying to take positives after dropping more points against poor sides.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Brownie it’s Schwartz and not Schwartzer
    A Schwartzer will be when Ronnie scores with a rocket!

• Options
    Washington to score this.
    Has to wrap his leg around it whilst the ball is still moving though

But yeah tries to squeeze it inside the post in the end
    From.wjat I've seen (not live) he should have not even tried taking around the keeper. Should have slotted it down the side or clipped it over the keeper. 

But 1 on 1's is our Achilles heel. None of our strikers are comfortable on this situation. Nor was Bonne.
  • Options
    Bring back the diamond and play Millar behind the strikers and we will win every game
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So that explains Smyth, Bogle, Schwartz, Stockley, Washington, Aneke? 

We needed a CB far far more than Stockley. 
    Bogle will be gone by the end of the window.
    We've had 20 days to sign a CB. 

We've signed 2 strikers and a winger instead. 

Even if Bogle leaves that makes zero sense. 
    I thought we needed a 20-goal Striker though, thats been the primary argument on here since the summer
    Right but outside of that nonsense straw man argument. 

Bowyer and Gallen have gone into January with both starting CBs out for a long period of time. No guarantee they come back as solid as they were, no guarantee they don't get reinjured while coming back. 

We concede 10 goals in the month leading up to the new transfer window. They decide CB isn't a priority.

Terrible squad management. Every game in January we've conceded more than 2 goals proves it. 
    I glad somebody agrees, should have had. CB in on 1st Jan. 

An I feel so much better, that recently we don’t win because we are unlucky, instead of being shit.  It’s such a better way not to get results. 
    Me as well.

But what I don't understand is when it's obvious that there are huge problems at centre half why not give Barker a go? Unless I'm dreaming, he was brilliant in the games he played at the start of the season. And outstanding against Plymouth in the Cup. Has he really gone back so far that he can't be trusted to play?

Equally Jay Mingi. Plays left sided centre defence I believe for the reserves. He's 20 now - if he's still not ready for first team football, why is he still here? 

Give them a chance, they can't do any worse than the current bunch.

• Options
    I've been saying for the last 5 or 6 weeks or so that we have no chance of promotion this season. 
    Some come on here and mock me saying there's still 20 odd games to go.
    Well I don't give a fuck how many games we have leftie ain't good enough end of.
    Next season is a different matter but please don't kid yourselves we are going up this season. 
    Because we ain't. 
    This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’re sliding into mid table obscurity, which with this squad is really embarrassing. Change of manager would likely be best i think
    We're in a play-off place.
    Maybe so but we’ve also played 3 or 4 more games then some of those around us

I'm trying to look from the positive angle.
    Either way, Sandgaard needs to stick by his words and give Bowyer time.  Sandgaard said he wants promotion in two seasons.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Croydon said:
    esseffect said:
    “Boywer got it all wrong” 

The same people who wanted the same line up
    He's not getting it wrong in the selection anymore, but clearly something is wrong with the coaching. Every player we've got has regressed this season, and our defence is getting worse and wors
    He’s getting wrong for a new reason.... that’s convenient.

He’s not above criticism, but the defence and injuries have always been the issue
    He has had 3 weeks to sort the defence. He has bought in 3 forwards.  The defenders aren't bad players.  Please name them if they are. 

How long can you you use injuries to defend a manger when all the injuries happen in training?

How long can you blame injuries to the "center backs" who have never played a full season between them?

Do you honestly think Swindon/Rochdale/Shewsbury/Plymouth MK Dons (Delete as appropriate) defenders are better than available ones? 

Jackson is the one coaching the defence, are we sacking him? 
    If we continue shipping so many goals then there needs to be a change. Coaching staff have to take some responsibility.
    What change do you suggest? 

As I’ve already said, Jackson and Marshall coach the defence - I don’t understand how the suggestions of sacking Bowyer helps cut out individual mistakes from defenders.
    Managers and coaching staff are judged by results as far as I'm aware. They must have to take some responsibility or maybe they're exempt at Charlton?

Perhaps it's all down to the players?
  • Options
    Love the buzz of seeing the ball hit the back of the net, but so fed up of dropping points to below average sides, who we make look better than they are. For whatever reason, we just are not clicking right and have not been all season, not even when we had a good run. The team is not fluid enough and think both Bogle and Smyth will be gone to free up a another midfielder slot (not my preference, but suspect what LB thinks we need) to try to make things gel. Roll on Tuesday...
  • Options
    Most of this season I watch and can see the players fear of making a mistake, I didn't feel this today. 
  • Options
    Washington to score this.
    Has to wrap his leg around it whilst the ball is still moving though

But yeah tries to squeeze it inside the post in the end
    From.wjat I've seen (not live) he should have not even tried taking around the keeper. Should have slotted it down the side or clipped it over the keeper. 

But 1 on 1's is our Achilles heel. None of our strikers are comfortable on this situation. Nor was Bonne.
    Lookman is the only player I can think of that we've ever had that is comfortable with one v ones

Only one I remember him getting for us away at Rotherham in that 4-1 win

But has since scored against both Man City (when @ Everton) and Man Utd (recently with Fulham) when he's just got the Goalkeeper to beat
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Going to be a wasted season. Can probably name two or three players I would allow to go to sign a centre defender.
    What could a different CB have done to stop a goalkeeping error and a deflection? It’s not as if we’re purposely not looking at signing another defender, but with the wage cap you have to weigh up whether or not a cheap defender will improve us or still be as error prone as the rest. 

This was a wasted season from the start considering the past 12 months. We all knew play-offs was the best we could hope for and that’s still a massive possibility. 
    1) If Famewo and Innis were playing would we have conceded those goals? I would imagine we wouldn’t have for various reasons about positioning and organising a defensive line etc. 

2) We are conceding two goals every single match. There are twenty two matches left this season. How many do you expect Innis and Famewo to play this season.  Innis has played 5 this season. Will he play 10 more this year? Should Innis not be fit who should play with Famewo, Deji, Pearce or Pratley. 

3) The season is becoming wasted as with the squad we have finishing midtable is an underachievement.

4) If the wage cap is really that tight then we need to make some tough decisions. Is Williams or Symth really needed? Another defender should have come in at the start of
    January. 

Grealish returned at Villa and they won 10
    in a row, soon becoming that we will need to match that form to make top 6.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    A draw isn't good enough but it was an entertaining game which we should have won by about 4 goals. 

Blame the manager all you want, Amos could have done better, Matthews should have done better and then Shinnie, Aneke and Washington all missed golden chances where it could have been 5-2 at least.

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

On the to next game where hopefully we can defend and our quality can show and get us a result 
    Which players aren't good enough?

Not rocket science is it.

What quality, you told me 2 hours ago the players were shit.  Make you mind up man child. 
  • Options
    Bizarre game and we played well for much of it.

The big concern is even lowly opposition find it easy to play us and easy to score against us. 

Swindon could easily have scored four from maybe six serious attacks. It‘s not just the cente backs. The opposition always have time to turn and pick their passes.  We seem to be porous. 

And they all look a bit defeated and dejected to me..including Bowyer.