Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Washington to score this.
    Has to wrap his leg around it whilst the ball is still moving though

But yeah tries to squeeze it inside the post in the end
    From.wjat I've seen (not live) he should have not even tried taking around the keeper. Should have slotted it down the side or clipped it over the keeper. 

But 1 on 1's is our Achilles heel. None of our strikers are comfortable on this situation. Nor was Bonne.
    You haven't seen it, fair enough, but when you do you will see that neither of those was an option. He just got a toe there to nick it past the keeper. No chance to chip.
  • Options

From.wjat I've seen (not live) he should have not even tried taking around the keeper. Should have slotted it down the side or clipped it over the keeper. 

But 1 on 1's is our Achilles heel. None of our strikers are comfortable on this situation. Nor was Bonne.
    Lookman is the only player I can think of that we've ever had that is comfortable with one v ones

Only one I remember him getting for us away at Rotherham in that 4-1 win

But has since scored against both Man City (when @ Everton) and Man Utd (recently with Fulham) when he's just got the Goalkeeper to beat
    Benty and Clive 

Always had confidence in a one on one.
  • Options

Lookman is the only player I can think of that we've ever had that is comfortable with one v ones

But has since scored against both Man City (when @ Everton) and Man Utd (recently with Fulham) when he's just got the Goalkeeper to beat
    Benty and Clive 

Tend to forget Bent at times... Clive though I do struggle to remember as wasnt a season ticket holder in 97/98 which would have been his strongest season with us
  • Options
    defending wise, we are simply woeful at the basics! Too many times our fullbacks are exposed 1 on 1. There’s no doubling up or the back line shifting across.  If the fullback doesn’t win the tackle there’s wide open space behind him
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So that explains Smyth, Bogle, Schwartz, Stockley, Washington, Aneke? 

We needed a CB far far more than Stockley. 
    Bogle will be gone by the end of the window.
    We've had 20 days to sign a CB. 

We've signed 2 strikers and a winger instead. 

Even if Bogle leaves that makes zero sense. 
    I thought we needed a 20-goal Striker though, thats been the primary argument on here since the summer
    Right but outside of that nonsense straw man argument. 

Bowyer and Gallen have gone into January with both starting CBs out for a long period of time. No guarantee they come back as solid as they were, no guarantee they don't get reinjured while coming back. 

We concede 10 goals in the month leading up to the new transfer window. They decide CB isn't a priority.

Terrible squad management. Every game in January we've conceded more than 2 goals proves it. 
    I glad somebody agrees, should have had. CB in on 1st Jan. 

An I feel so much better, that recently we don’t win because we are unlucky, instead of being shit.  It’s such a better way not to get results. 
    Me as well.

But what I don't understand is when it's obvious that there are huge problems at centre half why not give Barker a go? Unless I'm dreaming, he was brilliant in the games he played at the start of the season. And outstanding against Plymouth in the Cup. Has he really gone back so far that he can't be trusted to play?

Equally Jay Mingi. Plays left sided centre defence I believe for the reserves. He's 20 now - if he's still not ready for first team football, why is he still here? 

Give them a chance, they can't do any worse than the current bunch.

Whoa there, let's not get carried away. He was decent yes, showed good signs but far too young and raw to be counted on in a defense that seems to change on a weekly basis.
  • Options
    We’re sliding into mid table obscurity, which with this squad is really embarrassing. Change of manager would likely be best i think
    Still 6th though...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think Iniss has only played 5 games this season, Famewo not much more, neither will be back for weeks, Pearce has lost it, Gunther and Pratley aren't good enough at centre half, Bowyer don't rate Oshilaja yet signing a CB isn't the priority, crazy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Benty and Clive 

Bent was the best 1 on 1 player I have ever seen for us.  Mendonca was more a "ball at his feet in the box and he would find a way to shoot, and normally score" type player. 
    They were both good but they were not a Bogle 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Taxi_Lad said:
    defending wise, we are simply woeful at the basics! Too many times our fullbacks are exposed 1 on 1. There’s no doubling up or the back line shifting across.  If the fullback doesn’t win the tackle there’s wide open space behind him
    I said the same to my 8 year old (as I've done for past two years) never show a winger or striker inside.
    Basics, Bow will know that, you can't blame a manager for that, same as you can't blame him for a player not taking control of a situation on Tuesday for the header. 
  • Options
    I feel like the season is slipping away.
  • Options
    2 points dropped against a pretty average team 2 goals conceded both gifts from the defence and without ever looking really in control our finishing at times was poor - we look like a mid table team
    Average is too nice...they arena terrible team.

But then saying that, they have got 2 points off us.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    esseffect said:
    “Boywer got it all wrong” 

The same people who wanted the same line up
    i don't blame LB - other than starting pratley - morgan in there - or shinnie and our attacking play probably would have gone from nearly very dangerous to actually very dangerous - however, we must surely start getting some breaks (i don't ever remember matthews allowing somebody to walk round him like that before - was he expecting the centre half to be there? i don't know) and i think that once even just one of the centre halfs comes back and teams up with oshalaja, we will click and go on the run that we need - i think LB can start picking a settled side then as well so funnily enough , i'm feeling reasonably optimistic but just need LB to release that final bit of handbrake and keep the non footballers like pratley on the bench  
    Lots of people pre match saying that's our strongest line up. 

Not for me, Morgan has to be in that 11.

I said after 20 that shinnie and Morgan for Williams and Pratley our only hope. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This might not be popular, but I reckon we’ll thrash someone soon.  
    Read this and emptied my betting account on us beating MKDons.  We are 23/10 so decent odds, but they are in a rich goal scoring vein.

Fortunately I only had 37p left anyway.
    I accept no responsibility for losses, but do accept commission on profits regardless of size.
  • Options
    Shinnie, Morgan, JFC and Millar have to start in the midfield for me all the time if we're playing 4.

I don't want to see Pratley or Watson anywhere near the starting starting XI. 
    agreed
  • Options
    2 points dropped against a pretty average team 2 goals conceded both gifts from the defence and without ever looking really in control our finishing at times was poor - we look like a mid table team
    Average is too nice...they arena terrible team.

But then saying that, they have got 2 points off us.
    I think I was a bit generous! We're no better though.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Shinnie, Morgan, JFC and Millar have to start in the midfield for me all the time if we're playing 4.

agreed
    Is that the Pratley and Watson who, at least one, played in our only good run of the season?  Or a different Pratley and Watson? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

agreed
    Is that the Pratley and Watson who, at least one, played in our only good run of the season?  Or a different Pratley and Watson? 
    Honestly though mate, bar Ipswich we bumbled our way through that run. 

Still didn't look a good side for me. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Let's not forget that Swindon hit the post at 2-2. Wasn't all one way traffic second hald
    That doesn’t fit my narrative of how the game went, so I’ll disregard that little moment. 
    It was actually at 1-2 they hit the post.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.

What a sensible post.
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Firmly on Bowyer's side after listening to his post-match comments. We're in a place at the moment when nothing is going for us. But the signs are good and one decent run and we will be bang in the mix.
    I agree totally. Imo we are still a decent bet for automatic promotion there are still alot of points available and once we get over this blip we wont lose many games I dont think
  • Options
    To keep it simple....if your defence is shaky then you need to rely on the attack and if attack arent doing it either then you are bang in trouble. The stats will say we were the better team and based on play alone we were. Apart from Schwartz effort, there keeper didnt have to pull any saves out the bag.

Hull beat pompey 4-0 at there place...thats a team who can achieve promotion.

It wasn't good enough. 

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I think Bowyer is starting to play sides that have some merits too them. We are probably one good centre back away from going on a run. Deji is showing he can do a job there. The defence needs sorting not just defensively but how they take care of the ball when not under pressure. We can't afford to wait for Famewo and Innis. 

When they were playing we had the hardest defence to score against and we now have the easiest. Only Charlton could go from that extreme to the other. All remaining resources need to go on a centre half. I see Swindon bought Masterson in from QPR, he would have done!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

agreed
    Honestly though mate, bar Ipswich we bumbled our way through that run. 

Still didn't look a good side for me. 
    No we didn't but maybe that's why we didn't concede as many goals?  Not the fact that VVD and Gomez are injured? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
    Because when they were signed it wasn't the start of a long-term project!! We were on our way to oblivion. The summer signings were therefore what we could get. This window is the first of the project, and if we have signed a couple of loans, it's because they improve the squad.