Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Thought we played really well for the most part, I'd be more worried if we weren't creating chances but we are and you'd like to think a strike force of Schwartz, Aneke, Washington and Shockley will guarantee some goals as the season goes on. 

Same old story defensively though in that we gifted a couple of goals away and then end up giving ourselves to much to do to get the win. I do think we have been unlucky recently in that anything the opposition gets on target seems to go in at the moment but on the flip side you make your own luck and we need to be doing a lot better. We make a lot of individual mistakes at the back which I suspect is confidence and we could do with a couple of clean sheets to get some confidence back as I don't think we are as bad defensively as we have been in the last few matches.

Overall felt there were a lot of positives, frustrating not to win but fingers crossed with some of our key defenders back I think we can go up the table.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So that explains Smyth, Bogle, Schwartz, Stockley, Washington, Aneke? 

We needed a CB far far more than Stockley. 
    What a stupid thing to say in public, we all know its true, but what does he do if Chuks breaks down before Bogle is out the door? 
    Salary cap. Bogle has to go. If Aneke breaks down we'll use have to use an U23
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    “Boywer got it all wrong” 

The same people who wanted the same line up
    Your defence of Bowyer is about as leaky as our defence.

Perhaps there’s something wrong with the coaching. Ever thought of that?
  • Options
    My view on hearing we'd signed Stockley was that we should really have signed a quality defender. Today we played a back four, all of whom you'd normally expect to play in a full-back position. Making another 4 changes to the starting line-up also caused some confusion too: hence their scoring an early goal. On Schwartz...he's a goal-poacher rather than a game-changer, relying on defensive errors, set-pieces and quick through balls. Looks OK and experienced etc but whether he scores enough depends entirely on the level of service he gets. The fact that we're 8 points behind Lincoln City is astonishing.

But, just passed half-way and we've 37 points. Play-offs look possible if we maintain/improve on that. Outright promotion? No.
  • Options
    Although it was crap for the first half and therefore affected how I saw the whole game the main positive was the introduction of shinnie who has always been more than good for us
  • Options
    We’re sliding into mid table obscurity, which with this squad is really embarrassing. Change of manager would likely be best i think
    We're in a play-off place.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Croydon said:
    esseffect said:

He's not getting it wrong in the selection anymore, but clearly something is wrong with the coaching. Every player we've got has regressed this season, and our defence is getting worse and wors
    He’s getting wrong for a new reason.... that’s convenient.

He’s not above criticism, but the defence and injuries have always been the issue
    He has had 3 weeks to sort the defence. He has bought in 3 forwards.  The defenders aren't bad players.  Please name them if they are. 

How long can you you use injuries to defend a manger when all the injuries happen in training?

How long can you blame injuries to the "center backs" who have never played a full season between them?

Do you honestly think Swindon/Rochdale/Shewsbury/Plymouth MK Dons (Delete as appropriate) defenders are better than available ones? 

Jackson is the one coaching the defence, are we sacking him? 
    If we continue shipping so many goals then there needs to be a change. Coaching staff have to take some responsibility.
    What change do you suggest? 

As I’ve already said, Jackson and Marshall coach the defence - I don’t understand how the suggestions of sacking Bowyer helps cut out individual mistakes from defenders.
  • Options
    Another game where we have created eight or nine good chances and scored two whereas the opponents have four chances and score 2. At the start of the season Amos would have saved the first and the defection for the second would have gone wide. Matthews defending for the first was disgraceful.
    Aneke scores one and could have had three. Aneke, Washington, Pratley & Shinnie should all have done better with their chances all no more than 10 yards out. Schwartz unlucky when hitting the post and not sure offside when he does score.
    We need to get some luck, score more of our chances and defend as it looks to me we are out playing teams for long periods but not winning
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Croydon said:
    esseffect said:

He's not getting it wrong in the selection anymore, but clearly something is wrong with the coaching. Every player we've got has regressed this season, and our defence is getting worse and wors
    He’s getting wrong for a new reason.... that’s convenient.

He’s not above criticism, but the defence and injuries have always been the issue
    He has had 3 weeks to sort the defence. He has bought in 3 forwards.  The defenders aren't bad players.  Please name them if they are. 

How long can you you use injuries to defend a manger when all the injuries happen in training?

How long can you blame injuries to the "center backs" who have never played a full season between them?

Do you honestly think Swindon/Rochdale/Shewsbury/Plymouth MK Dons (Delete as appropriate) defenders are better than available ones? 
    I broadly agree with you, but Pearce is a bad defender these days tbf
    Yes he is but it's a known quantity.  There are ways to cover it up. 

Bowyer can't, hand in heart, say I didn't know that Pearce was like that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    We did play well mostly. We can't give teams two goals with their first two or three chances though. There is a real fragility there that is killing us. Both their goals were soft. Second wasn't great but a bit unlucky too. We have to take our chances too. That certainly has to improve.

One thing that is noticeable is that we don't look after the ball well enough when clearing. Of course, sometimes you have to just get it out, but we often, without the pressure, carelessly just clear it out when we could try to find a red shirt. I think this bogs us down. Look at Swindon, who are shit, they were trying to find blue shirts as they cleared.

We have seen it from Matthews before. It has to be harder to beat him than cutting to the right. Best I don't comment on Amos' attempt to save it. Definitely some positives but this fragility has happened too many times for us to simply put it down to bad luck. 

I did think we could have gone Oshilaja Pearce and Gunter at the back when Bowyer took Aneke and Schwartz off and maybe kept one of them on. Schwartz was onside. It was pretty clear at the time. That was poor from the officials.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This might not be popular, but I reckon we’ll thrash someone soon.  
    I agree. 

Only problem is it will be in training next week, attack v defence game
  • Options
    Can’t defend since 2 CB’s got injured, absolute shambles at the back, Christ knows what goes on in training same old every week, chaotic shambles. 
  • Options
    Totally crazy football match.

10 chances and 2 goals.
    Hit woodwork 3 times.

How much better do we look with Morgan, Shinnie, JFC and the superb attacking skills of Millar in midfield.

Amos, Matthews and Millar made defensive mistakes for their goals. The charlton defensive charity continues.

We have given more gifts away than Santa at Xmas.

Please, no Comedian say we were dog shite. The Cafc analyst said Ronnie Schwartz was on side for his goal which was ruled out.

How we didn't score 6, I will never know.

We will need to go on a winning run soon to look like contenders.
    The good old analyst's footage....... 
  • Options
    At the end of the day we should have won that game but at the moment absolutely nothing is going for us. It seems every team we play score with almost all of their chances whereas we are getting no rub at the other end. I think there are alot of positives in today's game and I'm confident that a run of victories are on the way. We are due to give someone a real spanking
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    And somebody could as easy thrash us with our teabag defence.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I agree. 

Only problem is it will be in training next week, attack v defence game
    The defence would win 2-1 after Aneke’s shot hits the bar and lobs the keeper at the other end! 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season. Can probably name two or three players I would allow to go to sign a centre defender.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’re sliding into mid table obscurity, which with this squad is really embarrassing. Change of manager would likely be best i think
    We're in a play-off place.
    Maybe so but we’ve also played 3 or 4 more games then some of those around us
  • Options
    It’s obvious.. buy/loan some f’ing central defenders...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Can’t defend since 2 CB’s got injured, absolute shambles at the back, Christ knows what goes on in training same old every week, chaotic shambles. 
    I agree but I thought our CB pairing today were very good and were untroubled all game. Just a shame Matthews decided to drop a clanger.
  • Options
    Thought we played really well for the most part, I'd be more worried if we weren't creating chances but we are and you'd like to think a strike force of Schwartz, Aneke, Washington and Shockley will guarantee some goals as the season goes on. 

Same old story defensively though in that we gifted a couple of goals away and then end up giving ourselves to much to do to get the win. I do think we have been unlucky recently in that anything the opposition gets on target seems to go in at the moment but on the flip side you make your own luck and we need to be doing a lot better. We make a lot of individual mistakes at the back which I suspect is confidence and we could do with a couple of clean sheets to get some confidence back as I don't think we are as bad defensively as we have been in the last few matches.

Overall felt there were a lot of positives, frustrating not to win but fingers crossed with some of our key defenders back I think we can go up the table.
    Let's hope that doesn't become what we call him!
  • Options
    I'm pleased with today lots more positives than negatives. 

Deji had a real good game again for me at the back bar one moment lapse in first half, other than that faultless for me. 

I'd stop playing millar on the left
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    If we did not stop giving goals away
    and get our two Centre Half’s  back we would stop
    dropping points.
    We hit the woodwork 4 times,
    we had a stone wall Penalty not given and we were the better team.
    but until we have our defence back with RI and AF 
    this stupidity will keep happening.
    most teams would have scored 10 goals today with our chances Curbs was right we should have won this game, Amos should had stopped one of the Goals .
    results were kind to us today also and still 6th 
    we need a 5 game winning run 👍👍
    5 more like 15.  
  • Options
    Totally crazy football match.

10 chances and 2 goals.
    Hit woodwork 3 times.

How much better do we look with Morgan, Shinnie, JFC and the superb attacking skills of Millar in midfield.

Amos, Matthews and Millar made defensive mistakes for their goals. The charlton defensive charity continues.

We have given more gifts away than Santa at Xmas.

Please, no Comedian say we were dog shite. The Cafc analyst said Ronnie Schwartz was on side for his goal which was ruled out.

How we didn't score 6, I will never know.

We will need to go on a winning run soon to look like contenders.
    But we do sort of know. Teams don't need many chances to score against us at the moment and we need too many.  
  • Options
    Disappointed that we didn't  win, two mistakes, one from Matthews, who let his man skip past him as though he wasn't there, and then Millar pulling out of an opportunity to block followed by a deflected shot. Ronnie's goal WAS on-side, we hit the bar twice and post once, Washington missed a chance to win it at the end, and we had other chances to score. They also hit the post towards the end, so I suppose to get a point from being 2 down at HT isn't too bad. However we need to get a CB to cover for the missing Akin and Innis, and hopefully the box-to-box midfielder that can pick a pass.
    The making's of a very good team is there, but we need our luck to change both on the pitch and with the injuries off it!!
    I listened to Curbs and Brownie before the game, at HT and afterwards and I think they're right when they say get our CB's back or get a new one in that's ready to go, and we can still go on a run, and its the last 10 games that are important, BUT we need to be in and around the 'mix' before those games arrive. 
    Would I get rid of LB now?....NO, but I would let the likes of Bogle move on, (not his fault it hasn't worked for him) and maybe Smyth as well so we can get the type of players we need to make this team stronger in every position.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    So that explains Smyth, Bogle, Schwartz, Stockley, Washington, Aneke? 

We needed a CB far far more than Stockley. 
    Bogle will be gone by the end of the window.
    We've had 20 days to sign a CB. 

We've signed 2 strikers and a winger instead. 

Even if Bogle leaves that makes zero sense. 
    I thought we needed a 20-goal Striker though, thats been the primary argument on here since the summer
    Right but outside of that nonsense straw man argument. 

Bowyer and Gallen have gone into January with both starting CBs out for a long period of time. No guarantee they come back as solid as they were, no guarantee they don't get reinjured while coming back. 

We concede 10 goals in the month leading up to the new transfer window. They decide CB isn't a priority.

Terrible squad management. Every game in January we've conceded more than 2 goals proves it. 
    I glad somebody agrees, should have had. CB in on 1st Jan. 

An I feel so much better, that recently we don’t win because we are unlucky, instead of being shit.  It’s such a better way not to get results.