Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    The missing centre halves were not the problem today.
    The formation was not the problem.
    The players were not the problem (ok Matthews, Amos & Miller should have done better for the goals).
    The problem was the way the team was set up.
    There was a gaping great whole in the middle of the park again.
    When Swindon or any opposition attack us we are wide open, we do not get men behind the ball.
    People say we keep letting in worldies, but we will continue to let them in if we are giving players a free shot at goal.
    Get players behind the ball, make it difficult for the opposition, block their way to goal and block their shots.
    Nearly every game is the same, if we were set up correctly we should be winning comfortably.
    We've gone from being too slow and negative to being too open and gung ho.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.
    And that’s where my man Watson comes in and stops some of this shit 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Those saying the results are not good enough are 100% right. 

But we’ve definitely improved game by game over the last three games and the shape of the side is starting to look much more settled and familiar. 

People see ‘bad luck’ as a nothing excuse, but there were so many chances that should / could have been goals, yet we continue to get punished so easily. Matthews and Amos will be hugely disappointed with the mistakes they made for the first.

Stockley looks like a good edition, Millar is a breath of fresh air, JFC and Deji continued their good form. 

Hugely frustrating. I know some will see this as rose tinted but I still feel if we win one game, get our strongest team fit and playing consistently, well have the potential to go on a run of getting 24/25 points out of 30. 

Time is undoubtedly running out though 
    Ifs buts and maybes. We have been losing  week on week for over a year, bar a 7 game run this season.

We also won the other week against Bristol rovers and we haven’t won since. 
    If buts and maybes? ... yet that is exactly what you are doing! 

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

This is the worst league one I can remember and we will finish mid table under bowyer.

If we have any hopes of going up, bowyer has to go.

I’m dealing in facts, we are a mid table team who has barley won in 2 months. No if buts or maybes about it. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    PWR

This is the worst league one I can remember and we will finish mid table under bowyer.

Would say its harder

So many teams down here now that should be challenging... Ipswich, Peterborough, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Hull, Doncaster, Charlton even Wigan should be up there based on past seasons in League One and the fact all have been in the Championship over the last decade 

Discount the latter and thats still seven teams fighting for six spots, so one team was always going to be guaranteed to be disappointed come May and that was before you threw in the one team that always surprises, in this case Lincoln
    I know everyone is playing with similar hand when it comes to the current situation (Covid), but even that must affect players and managers to certain degrees.
  • Options
    So what happens if akin or Ryan comes back or and breaks down again in the first game and we haven't bothered to bring in another cb? 
    Didn’t Akin comeback and do that earlier on ? Or was he suspended came back and got injured , sell my memory 
    Yep, I seem to remember him coming back in for one game and then disappearing again
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Regarding Washington's miss. I notice when he's in that forward right position (has happened before), he always takes the ball even further to the right and virtually defends his own attack! 

You don't get better than your forward having a 1on1 to win a game in the 90+ minute of the game. Peterborough showed how to take them.
    We never seem to convert one on ones,Chucks against Rochdale,Ronnie and Washington yesterday,Bogle ( cant remember who against) Other teams playing us dont often miss.
    Defending is more of an issue.
    Of course you do not want to keep chasing games,but we had one on ones late against Rochdale and Swindon,both missed loss of 4 points.Peterborough had 2 both scored.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

But we’ve definitely improved game by game over the last three games and the shape of the side is starting to look much more settled and familiar. 

People see ‘bad luck’ as a nothing excuse, but there were so many chances that should / could have been goals, yet we continue to get punished so easily. Matthews and Amos will be hugely disappointed with the mistakes they made for the first.

Stockley looks like a good edition, Millar is a breath of fresh air, JFC and Deji continued their good form. 

Hugely frustrating. I know some will see this as rose tinted but I still feel if we win one game, get our strongest team fit and playing consistently, well have the potential to go on a run of getting 24/25 points out of 30. 

Ifs buts and maybes. We have been losing  week on week for over a year, bar a 7 game run this season.

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

I’m dealing in facts, we are a mid table team who has barley won in 2 months. No if buts or maybes about it. 
    Well your first fact is wrong as we're 6th... thats not mid-table

I know teams have games in hand on us, PPG has us mid-table but Football doesnt work on a calculator
    It doesn’t but realistically Sunderland (1 point from 2 games needed), Ipswich (3 from 3) and Accrington (5 from 5) are all ahead of us. Automatics are gone now you’ll feel, we need a solid run to get into the play offs. We’re not quite mid table but we’ve not even looked that good recently! 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Whats your basis on it being the worst League One that you can remember as I would say its harder

So many teams down here now that should be challenging... Ipswich, Peterborough, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Hull, Doncaster, Charlton even Wigan should be up there based on past seasons in League One and the fact all have been in the Championship over the last decade 

Discount the latter and thats still seven teams fighting for six spots, so one team was always going to be guaranteed to be disappointed come May and that was before you threw in the one team that always surprises, in this case Lincoln

2011/12 was certainly easier as you only had Sheffield United | Wednesday | Huddersfield to worry about
    Spot on. Also throw in a wage cap that makes teams like Accrington, Crewe, Oxford a lot more competitive than they should be. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

I know teams have games in hand on us, PPG has us mid-table but Football doesnt work on a calculator
    Fella have you watched us over the past few months? We are a mid table team who can’t string a couple of wins together. You can bang on about 6th all you like but we’ll be mid table once the teams around us catch up on games 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Fella have you watched us over the past few months? We are a mid table team who can’t string a couple of wins together. You can bang on about 6th all you like but we’ll be mid table once the teams around us catch up on games 
    But we’re not mid table at the moment, which was the fact you used earlier. 
  • Options
    I thought we played well and the luck just didn't run our way. There are more goals in this squad and I think we’ll get more points in the second half of the season than the first, which will be enough for top six. An extra centre half is needed but that will depend on some outgoings. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Sorry, we are bloody amazing and we are definitely getting automatic promotion this season. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Ok, it's Sunday and time for a confession.

I accepted a free ticket to watch Palace(yes I did feel dirty) when Tony Pulis was Manager because I wanted to analyse how Pulis set up the Nigels when they were attacking and defending. This day they played a piss poor Aston Villa But Pulis still doubled up on the Villa winger by using Puncheon and the Palace full back to negate the player he felt was the danger for Villa.

It was a very boring game of football and Palace won 1-0. No way am I going to check this but I believe Zaha won a pen !

The moral to this shocking confession is set your team up to play to your strengths. When Inniss and Famewo were CB's and Aneke was missing, we concentrated on defence. Boring but sensible. Playing Shrewsbury and Swindon at their ground and going defensive after being on top was baffling when you have your 3rd 4th and 5th CB's available. Momentum in football is paramount in football and all sports, ask any sport Psychologist. Confidence comes from winning and believing in the process.

We now have 4 good strikers at this level despite the misses yesterday in Aneke, Schwartz, Washington and Stockley. 

They need feeding by Millar, Williams or Maddison. yes Millar has the shirt for me at the moment.

Then any 2 from Morgan, Shinnie, JFC. 
    All 3 of these players would be on the field at the same time if possible but would mean Jake playing the defensive midfielder.

The defensive midfielder is between Pratley, Watson, and Oshilaja ( when/if the beast and Akin are fit) if we ever score enough goals first half then we could go for the dream 4 midfielders we had 2nd half yesterday of Liam, Jake, Shinnie and Albie but no natural defensive diamond player among that 4.

Who ever plays full back is making mistakes in their positional play or by the many Speedy wide men in this division.

Forget 3-5-2 since Doughty has gone.

Play 4-4-2 and with Millar in the side having the free role and that will change shape into
    4-4-3 as he will appear on the right, left and 
    even behind the main strikers but he definitely needs to have the freedom to run out wide and hopefully feed Aneke or Stockley in the air from an advance position as all strikers love to head the ball running on to the ball and not having to look back over their shoulders.
  • Options
    I’ve held off posting until now as I was so pissed off after that game. 

Where do I start....

Week in week out we are giving teams a head start, it’s not normal to have to score three goals a game to win!! The softness in our defending is awful! Matthews has gone backwards in my eyes and Millar is lucky he was the best player on the pitch and made up for that utter disgrace of a challenge for their second. Every opposition shot seems to go in at the moment and something needs to give. 

Going forward we should have scored 7, the misses are inexcusable, Chuks, Shinnie and Connor all missing golden opportunities. What was Washington doing? It’s exciting for the neutral but so frustrating for us fans. We would be up in the top two if it wasn’t for this softness we have in defence, which has carried over from last season. Something drastic needs to happen in the summer I feel, complete revamp of our defenders, how can we look so weak against teams like Swindon? Every time they went forward we looked a mess and we’ve got international players in that team. 

That said, I think we will turn a corner when Akin and Big Ryan are back but I just hope it’s not too late. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Bowyer leaving is not a fact ... it’s your opinion
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Sorry, we are bloody amazing and we are definitely getting automatic promotion this season. 
    Sarcasm ... I guess that means you must be right  :D
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

It doesn’t but realistically Sunderland (1 point from 2 games needed), Ipswich (3 from 3) and Accrington (5 from 5) are all ahead of us. Automatics are gone now you’ll feel, we need a solid run to get into the play offs. We’re not quite mid table but we’ve not even looked that good recently! 
    Yeah Sunderland and Ipswich are the two we need to worry about

Got a feeling that Accrington (lost their last two games) will feel the effects of their fixture congestion

Same too for the teams above us, those games will add up as the season drags on so a bit like 2019 when Sunderland and Portsmouth had to play catch up because of the EFL Trophy, I dont think their wins are guaranteed - Same as there is no guarantee that we'll come out of this blip
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Oxford had a slow start to the season, but will be up there as well
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Why do you have to move the goal posts of the discussion every time someone writes a response to your posts? 

I - and no one else - has said we’re amazing and will get auto promotion. You said that you only deal in facts and that we’re mid table team. All I said was that factually we’re 6th at this time. 
    This team, under this manager is a mid table team. Once all the other teams around us have played the same number of games the table will reflect that. 
  • Options
    Post match was very disappointed and fed up with the performance.  But, having "slept on it", overall we should have won it, and on another day we would have.  Individual mistakes and some poor decisions, and no real luck!  The constant mix of players isn't helping but don't see that Bowyer has much choice.  When he has the best centre backs in place and the midfield connecting with a pair of strikers on the same wave length then we'll be OK - just think it might all be a bit late for this season.  In reality Gallen/Bowyer/Sandgaard should be building for 2012-2022 season and with a clear aim of automatics - IMO.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Why do you have to move the goal posts of the discussion every time someone writes a response to your posts? 

I - and no one else - has said we’re amazing and will get auto promotion. You said that you only deal in facts and that we’re mid table team. All I said was that factually we’re 6th at this time. 
    This team, under this manager is a mid table team. Once all the other teams around us have played the same number of games the table will reflect that. 
    Again though, that’s your opinion. By the time those others teams will have caught up with games in hand played, we’ll all be in to 30+ games played, so who knows the points we will have gained ourselves by then. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Again though, that’s your opinion. By the time those others teams will have caught up with games in hand played, we’ll all be in to 30+ games played, so who knows the points we will have gained ourselves by then. 
    We might even be just above the relegation zone, in which case we still wouldnt be a mid-table team 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

Oxford had a slow start to the season, but will be up there as well
    I was just looking at the teams below us. PPG isn't guaranteed but realistically Sunderland, Ipswich and Accrington would be above us if they played their games in hand of the next couple of weeks. Oxford are on fire but still 6 points behind us with 3 games in hand. Would need a minimum 6 to go ahead of us on GD. Lots of football to be played, and some teams are definitely going to get fixture congestion. 
  • Options
    Our last 14 matches since the November international break
    2-2
    1-2
    1-0
    4-4
    0-2
    0-2
    2-2
    2-2
    5-2
    1-1
    0-1
    2-0
    2-4
    1-1

W 3   D6   L5
    15 points - 1.07 point per game

For 23  - 1.64 per game
    Against 25 - 1.79 per game

1.07 per game equates to 49 points in a season, that's near relegation form. 14 games isn't a blip, that's over a quarter of a season. Yes we've had 2 centre backs missing, but surely we should be able to cope better defensively? Especially when we are able to strengthen and Bowyer has chosen not to bring in any defenders. It looks like at least 2 games before Famewo is back, Innis even longer.

Yes there is a cap, but we have an awful lot of deadwood when you consider that Bogle, Smyth, Watson and Maddison (all signed in autumn) were missing today for one reason or another, and how many would be in our AND Bowyer's best 11?

I was referring to this in a different way before the game. To win more games you need to improve the for and against stats. To go on a significant run, you improve both or failing that significantly improve one of them. 

I am seeing how our goalscoring could improve but improving the defence looks too far away to positively affect the season.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

It’s not just my opinion. I have watched every game this season, there is nothing that tells me we are better than a mid table team.