Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't understand how so many are so sure that we'll go on a late run, what evidence is this based on?

Also people so sure we'll get promoted in later seasons. Again, based on what?

Seems like nothing more than blind faith
    I'm one of those people who think we are very close to putting a run together that will certainly see us in the playoffs and I'm not ruling out automatic promotion. This isnt based on rose tinted glasses honest lol. We without doubt have been under performing lately but the signs are there that the team are gelling. Look at our squad of players. You tell me any other team in the league that wouldnt want our squad. We just need a rub of the green and a bit of confidence to return and I honestly cant see many teams beating us once we get to that stage. As I keep saying we are due to give someone a proper drubbing before long. Once the squad get a grip of things the points will climb.
    Oh for fucks sake. No. Just no. They have months, multiple months to "get a grip" - they have not. Why should we expect that to change now? The fact that you keep saying "we're due to give a drubbing" and it STILL has not happened.

This is NOT a temporary blip. This is an underperforming team. We can argue til the end of days about why that might be but this team are not playing as well as they should. One or two bad results is bad luck. Months of bad results is bad performance.
    Ok how many games do you think we will lose before the end of the season ? Presuming the season does run to the end. I say we wont lose another 4 games !
    Double figures easily.  Maybe draw a few. More than 5-6 wins will be astonishing based on current form.
    Blimey I'm saying we wont lose more than 4 games all season now and you are saying we wont win more than 5 or 6 ! That's a big difference of opinion lol you obviously think I'm wrong and I think you are. Time will tell mate but if you are right I will buy you a beer next time we are all back in the ground 😁
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't understand how so many are so sure that we'll go on a late run, what evidence is this based on?

I'm one of those people who think we are very close to putting a run together that will certainly see us in the playoffs and I'm not ruling out automatic promotion. This isnt based on rose tinted glasses honest lol. We without doubt have been under performing lately but the signs are there that the team are gelling. Look at our squad of players. You tell me any other team in the league that wouldnt want our squad. We just need a rub of the green and a bit of confidence to return and I honestly cant see many teams beating us once we get to that stage. As I keep saying we are due to give someone a proper drubbing before long. Once the squad get a grip of things the points will climb.
    Oh for fucks sake. No. Just no. They have months, multiple months to "get a grip" - they have not. Why should we expect that to change now? The fact that you keep saying "we're due to give a drubbing" and it STILL has not happened.

This is NOT a temporary blip. This is an underperforming team. We can argue til the end of days about why that might be but this team are not playing as well as they should. One or two bad results is bad luck. Months of bad results is bad performance.
    Ok how many games do you think we will lose before the end of the season ? Presuming the season does run to the end. I say we wont lose another 4 games !
    Double figures easily.  Maybe draw a few. More than 5-6 wins will be astonishing based on current form.
    Blimey I'm saying we wont lose more than 4 games all season now and you are saying we wont win more than 5 or 6 ! That's a big difference of opinion lol you obviously think I'm wrong and I think you are. Time will tell mate but if you are right I will buy you a beer next time we are all back in the ground 😁
    Infact if your right I will buy the beer for everyone in whatever stand you are in 😂
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:

If I am wrong I will be very glad to be returning that wager
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Interesting that both yesterday and in the away 2-2 at Swindon, they only had 2 shots on target and both went in. Could Amos be doing better? That means in both those games he failed to save any shots on target.
    Glad someone else is asking the question finally. I really think Amos is a big part of why we are letting in so many goals from so little shots conceded. 

He’s got talent and his season with us that helped get us into the play-offs was a decent one but he’s never held down a spot in a higher league. We need to bring in better and younger once his contract is up.

I liked the look of their keeper Travers today - just signed on loan from Bournemouth. Also Baxter at Accrington on loan from Chelsea looked very assured. The kind of young keepers we should be targeting as the squad is rebuilt.
    I was a big fan of Amos’s start this season but he’s been pretty bland, nothingy and not great of late , has he suffered the manager/player of the month curse !
    Amos? ..... no, he's suffered from, "we've got a sh*t defence" syndrome.

Amos seemed to make more saves when he had Maldini and Baresi in front of him.

Rochdale, Accrington, Peterborough and Swindon seemed to have about 10 chances between them and scored all 10.

I wouldn't say any of them were howlers but the numbers are stacking up. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:

If I am wrong I will be very glad to be returning that wager
    You could both be right, 6 wins, 4 loses and 12 draws doesn't seem a million miles from where are are now. 
  • Options
    You are right ofcourse but I did have to agree with LB yesterday when he was laughing. Surely anyone who looks at the last few matches can see that it cannot continue for every bloody shot on target somehow ends up in our net. It's a phase that it seems everything our opponents do go in whereas we are hitting the woodwork or something. It will even out in the end
  • Options
    Washington to score this.
    I’ll be honest , i didn’t ever fancy him to convert .
    There’s something about him that just gives me no confidence in him , i can’t quite put my finger on it but I don’t rate him at all but he ain’t that bad , it’s all  a bit confusing 
    He's a Lisbie. A nearly man.
    He nearly scores goals, but not enough.
    He doesn't miss by a mile, but is good at putting it a foot or two wide.
    A nearly man.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Regarding Washington's miss. I notice when he's in that forward right position (has happened before), he always takes the ball even further to the right and virtually defends his own attack! 

You don't get better than your forward having a 1on1 to win a game in the 90+ minute of the game. Peterborough showed how to take them.
    Yes, he won't use his left foot.
    So instead of cutting inside and using his left, he heads wide away from goal, to get the ball on his right foot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Washington had time to control the ball, let the defender slide past, and pass it into the net tbh
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Interesting that both yesterday and in the away 2-2 at Swindon, they only had 2 shots on target and both went in. Could Amos be doing better? That means in both those games he failed to save any shots on target.
    Glad someone else is asking the question finally. I really think Amos is a big part of why we are letting in so many goals from so little shots conceded. 

He’s got talent and his season with us that helped get us into the play-offs was a decent one but he’s never held down a spot in a higher league. We need to bring in better and younger once his contract is up.

I liked the look of their keeper Travers today - just signed on loan from Bournemouth. Also Baxter at Accrington on loan from Chelsea looked very assured. The kind of young keepers we should be targeting as the squad is rebuilt.
    I was a big fan of Amos’s start this season but he’s been pretty bland, nothingy and not great of late , has he suffered the manager/player of the month curse !

Rochdale, Accrington, Peterborough and Swindon seemed to have about 10 chances between them and scored all 10.

The problem in recent games is that opponents seem to score with nearly every chance they have.
    It's easy to blame the keeper and maybe Amos could have done better with a couple conceded.

But in all honesty, generalising, he's been left exposed by a defence that hasn't closed down, beaten too easily in the tackle, markers not tracking their man in the box, weak in the air, individual player cock-ups, etc ...... not to mention wrongfooted by deflections and some worldies that no keeper is going to save - we've conceded a few of those recently.

When Maldini and Baresi were playing, we played a higher line and tighter midfield in front of our box - plus they were dominant in the air.
    Amos didn't have as much to do .... and when he was called on, confidence was high to pull off the blinding save.

Maybe that's a big part of Amos' game, like most players ..... confidence? We've seen it before in his previous spell, when at times he looked unbeatable.

• Options

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

Yes. Over the moon. 

Passive aggressive and delusional. Just bore off 
    Is it really delusional though? Our post match threads are far more active after a negative result, same as on twitter when we concede, lots more replies than when we score
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

The problem in recent games is that opponents seem to score with nearly every chance they have.
    It's easy to blame the keeper and maybe Amos could have done better with a couple conceded.

But in all honesty, generalising, he's been left exposed by a defence that hasn't closed down, beaten too easily in the tackle, markers not tracking their man in the box, weak in the air, individual player cock-ups, etc ...... not to mention wrongfooted by deflections and some worldies that no keeper is going to save - we've conceded a few of those recently.

When Maldini and Baresi were playing, we played a higher line and tighter midfield in front of our box - plus they were dominant in the air.
    Amos didn't have as much to do .... and when he was called on, confidence was high to pull off the blinding save.

Maybe that's a big part of Amos' game, like most players ..... confidence? We've seen it before in his previous spell, when at times he looked unbeatable.

I really don't think you can underestimate partnerships, particularly at the back. Amos, Gunter and Maatsen have all dropped in form since Inniss and Famewo were out. Amos was not only making more saves but was also claiming everything and dominating his box. 

I cannot remember the last time we played the same back 5 for two games in a row. Over the last few weeks at CB we've had Deji/Pearce, Deji/Gunter, all three of them, Pearce/Pratley. It's so hard to build an understanding when it's constantly changed. Bowyer has to take some blame for that but certainly hasn't been helped by poor form and sending offs. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I hate the fact that some Charlton fans think we we are somehow entitled to promotion. That drawing with Swindon is ‘below’ us (it’s frustrating but not terminal). This season was always going to be tough. Relegated in the last minute, ownership chaos, half the squad left (including most of our quality players), short pre season, under embargo for some of the transfer window, late signings under the wage cap, patched up the defence with 2 good centre halves (then both get long term injuries), best player (Doughty) out etc etc. Of course we all want promotion, of course we are not defending well enough, of course we are not taking our chances. But we need to give Bowyer a proper summer window, a full pre season and a proper chance to rebuild. We are on a desperately bad run of form, but sacking Bowyer is not the answer. Let’s give the guy a break and see what he can do. Lenny Lawrence, Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell all had bad runs and ultimately had successful periods because they got the club and got the fans. I am convinced Bowyer is the same... we’ve dropped to this league 3 times in recent history and it took 3 seasons each time to get back up, what’s the big panic now ? 
    I know the like system is meant to avoid posts like this, but I can't help but quote and say what a level headed post, I wish more of our fans saw it like this. 

Some of the names I am seeing on twitter, Cowleys, Cook etc, none of them will get Charlton like Bowyer do and would be off at the first opportunity.

Genuinely intrested but do you think "getting Charlton" is more important than short term/medium term success?  

Second question do you think Bowyer stayed because he "got Charlton" or he got paid a reasonable amount, doesn't actually need the job and has a family settled in the area?

Third question if Leeds, Westham, Newcastle or one of the "big six" offered Bowyer their managers job do you think he would stay? 
    Local lad, came through the ranks, understands our culture, understands the fan base. How many clubs have a local lad as their manager? It's why I was so attached to Curbs and Powell, Charlton men. I don't see how that's hard to get..

I think he stayed because he felt like this was the right club for him and has us in our best interests.

As for your third question, luckily according to our expert fan base that's something that will never happen cause he hasn't got a clue allegedly and loses dressing rooms? I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it but I can only assume if that hypothetical situation ever happened we would be in the championship and doing well, leaving us in a better state than what he came in. Can't argue with that but even then I don't think he leaves unless he is asked to or isn't being backed.

Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Slade. Just a few more reasons why I am happy with the manager who we have. 

We will go up, I don't care if it's this season or the next, or the next, he will take us up and we will be stronger for it when it happens with a side ready to go up. Why the desperation to get up with a league 1 side and probably come straight back down. I want to go up like Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Bristol City, Blackburn, us with Powell etc did. Go up with a squad with momentum that is good enough to hold their own in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, not a patch work league 1 team.

Would people be happier if we did what Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham have been doing? Constant yo-yoin and sacking the manager mid season. Something I've got no interest in 
    You go up when you can , you don’t fanny for another season cos you might comeback down.... 
    we have the players good enough to make the play offs but we aren’t reaching the level they are capable of (just yet) 
    Maybe we shouldn’t have gone up in 1998 cos we weren’t strong enough to stay up ffs
    with the salary cap , going up would give us a chance to massively strengthen to stay up and if we were to go down we’d be in a better starting position to go back up .
    I’m sick of being in league one , in my first 33 seasons of watching Charlton we had 1 season in the third tier, 12 in the top tier .
    the last 12 seasons have seen 7 in the third tier , yeah I’m a football snob/knob whatever but I’m not sitting here being  all happy clappy when we are clearly underperforming at the lowest level we’ve played at since we joined the football league .
    Call it a greedy sense of entitlement but I’m not aiming particularly high I just want the average for us which is championship and being above the scum .
    I’m never gonna be content in the third tier , I’m greedy (plus it’s such a struggle trying to keep my sons interested in us at this level of shitness)

That may be true but I would rather spend an extra season down here and go up stronger the next than do what Wycombe are doing.

I'm 29 so maybe I'm a bit more patient than you as the prem days I was fairly young and most of my adult life we have been a league 1 side. I also don't have kids so don't need to worry about convincing them Charlton are the right team for them, can see why you're frustrated but I've just got tremendous faith we will be a club on a different level in 3-5 years from now 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I hate the fact that some Charlton fans think we we are somehow entitled to promotion. That drawing with Swindon is ‘below’ us (it’s frustrating but not terminal). This season was always going to be tough. Relegated in the last minute, ownership chaos, half the squad left (including most of our quality players), short pre season, under embargo for some of the transfer window, late signings under the wage cap, patched up the defence with 2 good centre halves (then both get long term injuries), best player (Doughty) out etc etc. Of course we all want promotion, of course we are not defending well enough, of course we are not taking our chances. But we need to give Bowyer a proper summer window, a full pre season and a proper chance to rebuild. We are on a desperately bad run of form, but sacking Bowyer is not the answer. Let’s give the guy a break and see what he can do. Lenny Lawrence, Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell all had bad runs and ultimately had successful periods because they got the club and got the fans. I am convinced Bowyer is the same... we’ve dropped to this league 3 times in recent history and it took 3 seasons each time to get back up, what’s the big panic now ? 
    I know the like system is meant to avoid posts like this, but I can't help but quote and say what a level headed post, I wish more of our fans saw it like this. 

Some of the names I am seeing on twitter, Cowleys, Cook etc, none of them will get Charlton like Bowyer do and would be off at the first opportunity.

Genuinely intrested but do you think "getting Charlton" is more important than short term/medium term success?  

Second question do you think Bowyer stayed because he "got Charlton" or he got paid a reasonable amount, doesn't actually need the job and has a family settled in the area?

Third question if Leeds, Westham, Newcastle or one of the "big six" offered Bowyer their managers job do you think he would stay? 
    Local lad, came through the ranks, understands our culture, understands the fan base. How many clubs have a local lad as their manager? It's why I was so attached to Curbs and Powell, Charlton men. I don't see how that's hard to get..

I think he stayed because he felt like this was the right club for him and has us in our best interests.

As for your third question, luckily according to our expert fan base that's something that will never happen cause he hasn't got a clue allegedly and loses dressing rooms? I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it but I can only assume if that hypothetical situation ever happened we would be in the championship and doing well, leaving us in a better state than what he came in. Can't argue with that but even then I don't think he leaves unless he is asked to or isn't being backed.

Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Slade. Just a few more reasons why I am happy with the manager who we have. 

We will go up, I don't care if it's this season or the next, or the next, he will take us up and we will be stronger for it when it happens with a side ready to go up. Why the desperation to get up with a league 1 side and probably come straight back down. I want to go up like Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Bristol City, Blackburn, us with Powell etc did. Go up with a squad with momentum that is good enough to hold their own in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, not a patch work league 1 team.

Would people be happier if we did what Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham have been doing? Constant yo-yoin and sacking the manager mid season. Something I've got no interest in 
    You go up when you can , you don’t fanny for another season cos you might comeback down.... 
    we have the players good enough to make the play offs but we aren’t reaching the level they are capable of (just yet) 
    Maybe we shouldn’t have gone up in 1998 cos we weren’t strong enough to stay up ffs
    with the salary cap , going up would give us a chance to massively strengthen to stay up and if we were to go down we’d be in a better starting position to go back up .
    I’m sick of being in league one , in my first 33 seasons of watching Charlton we had 1 season in the third tier, 12 in the top tier .
    the last 12 seasons have seen 7 in the third tier , yeah I’m a football snob/knob whatever but I’m not sitting here being  all happy clappy when we are clearly underperforming at the lowest level we’ve played at since we joined the football league .
    Call it a greedy sense of entitlement but I’m not aiming particularly high I just want the average for us which is championship and being above the scum .
    I’m never gonna be content in the third tier , I’m greedy (plus it’s such a struggle trying to keep my sons interested in us at this level of shitness)

That may be true but I would rather spend an extra season down here and go up stronger the next than do what Wycombe are doing.

I'm 29 so maybe I'm a bit more patient than you as the prem days I was fairly young and most of my adult life we have been a league 1 side. I also don't have kids so don't need to worry about convincing them Charlton are the right team for them, can see why you're frustrated but I've just got tremendous faith we will be a club on a different level in 3-5 years from now 
    But where is this assumption we will be stronger next season coming from? The wage cap means any squad is likely to be weaker not stronger regardless of who the manager is or what the owner is worth.

Go up and you can sign Championship players on championship wages. Stay in League one too long and attrition will eventually turn us into perpetual also tans at best.

(I'm 31 for what that is worth.)
  • Options

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

Yes. Over the moon. 

Is it really delusional though? Our post match threads are far more active after a negative result, same as on twitter when we concede, lots more replies than when we score
    That’s human nature though, isn’t it?
    It’s like when people write to a company about customer service - they’re far more likely to complain about poor service than to congratulate for good service. 
    Sometimes, people just need to vent after a bad experience. After a good experience, we’re far more likely to simply revel in the joy of it without feeling the need to express it to others.

I wouldn’t let it get to you if I were you.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But where is this assumption we will be stronger next season coming from? The wage cap means any squad is likely to be weaker not stronger regardless of who the manager is or what the owner is worth.

Go up and you can sign Championship players on championship wages. Stay in League one too long and attrition will eventually turn us into perpetual also tans at best.

(I'm 31 for what that is worth.)
    Isn't most of everything posted on here assumptions? About the dressing room, Bowyer, our squad compared to the league etc. My assumption is we will be stronger next season yeah, just like other people's assumptions is if we sack the manager we will get results 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Why are you so certain we'll go up next season? The cap will only make it harder, as relegated teams will have better squads on bigger budgets. We'll also lose players like Chuks, to teams who can afford to be more liberal with the cap, or to the league above.

Seems an air of absolute certainty that we'll be promoted within two years, by the same lot who are calling the rest of us 'entitled' for expecting more this season. Bit hypocritical, no?

But weird on the age thing. Don't know ooaah, but highly doubt he's 101 and counting down the years. I turned 30 in October last year, and still expect more than a consolidation year in League One.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

I really don't think you can underestimate partnerships, particularly at the back. Amos, Gunter and Maatsen have all dropped in form since Inniss and Famewo were out. Amos was not only making more saves but was also claiming everything and dominating his box. 

I cannot remember the last time we played the same back 5 for two games in a row. Over the last few weeks at CB we've had Deji/Pearce, Deji/Gunter, all three of them, Pearce/Pratley. It's so hard to build an understanding when it's constantly changed. Bowyer has to take some blame for that but certainly hasn't been helped by poor form and sending offs. 
    Yeah, I'm going to agree with that @cafcfan1990 ...... partnerships are vital in a successful side. Once you get to know how to work with them, you can develop an understanding that gives you both an edge to your game.

Injuries, suspensions and rotations knock all this on the head. It's cost us dear.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I guarantee if we go up this season we will have a much stronger side in the Championship next season than the one we will have trying to go up from League One 
  • Options
    No chance Shinnie's offside for the equaliser...

The fact we missed a last minute sitter means the JFC's pass for the comeback is not getting raved about.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

The fact we missed a last minute sitter means the JFC's pass for the comeback is not getting raved about.
    Probably because it was a shot not a pass.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

I’ve stuck up for JFC loads and am delighted with how he’s been playing. But it was a pretty poor shot, definitely not a pass. We were fortunate although Shinnie was switched on and a composed finish. 
  • Options
    No chance. It was a pass at pace. Take a look before he receives the ball, he had a look up to see who/how many teammates were crowded in the 6 yard box to take aim at.
  • Options

Yes. Over the moon. 

Your insistence that everything is ok is delusional.

Saying that fans will be ecstatic if we lose is passive aggressive.

Your one man campaign to shoot down everyone who disagrees with you is boring.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    No chance. It was a pass at pace. Take a look before he receives the ball, he had a look up to see who/how many teammates were crowded in the 6 yard box to take aim at.
    I watched it again and I though it was a pass.  If it was a shot it was possibly the worst shot I have ever seen. 

The commentary said it was a scuffed shot but for me it looked like he connected cleanly and it went exactly where he was looking. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    stonemuse said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Those saying the results are not good enough are 100% right. 

But we’ve definitely improved game by game over the last three games and the shape of the side is starting to look much more settled and familiar. 

People see ‘bad luck’ as a nothing excuse, but there were so many chances that should / could have been goals, yet we continue to get punished so easily. Matthews and Amos will be hugely disappointed with the mistakes they made for the first.

Stockley looks like a good edition, Millar is a breath of fresh air, JFC and Deji continued their good form. 

Hugely frustrating. I know some will see this as rose tinted but I still feel if we win one game, get our strongest team fit and playing consistently, well have the potential to go on a run of getting 24/25 points out of 30. 

Time is undoubtedly running out though 
    Ifs buts and maybes. We have been losing  week on week for over a year, bar a 7 game run this season.

We also won the other week against Bristol rovers and we haven’t won since. 
    If buts and maybes? ... yet that is exactly what you are doing! 

J BLOCK said:
    PWR

This is the worst league one I can remember and we will finish mid table under bowyer.

If we have any hopes of going up, bowyer has to go.

I’m dealing in facts, we are a mid table team who has barley won in 2 months. No if buts or maybes about it. 
    Well your first fact is wrong as we're 6th... thats not mid-table

I know teams have games in hand on us, PPG has us mid-table but Football doesnt work on a calculator
    It doesn’t but realistically Sunderland (1 point from 2 games needed), Ipswich (3 from 3) and Accrington (5 from 5) are all ahead of us. Automatics are gone now you’ll feel, we need a solid run to get into the play offs. We’re not quite mid table but we’ve not even looked that good recently! 
    Oxford had a slow start to the season, but will be up there as well
    I was just looking at the teams below us. PPG isn't guaranteed but realistically Sunderland, Ipswich and Accrington would be above us if they played their games in hand of the next couple of weeks. Oxford are on fire but still 6 points behind us with 3 games in hand. Would need a minimum 6 to go ahead of us on GD. Lots of football to be played, and some teams are definitely going to get fixture congestion. 
    In the case of Oxford, they're a team who were expected to be challenging at the top again this season, but had a slow start. Now their form is more what was expected (unlike the likes of Lincoln and Accrington who are surprise packages)

Indeed when you look at the top 11 in L1 last season, the non promoted sides are generally all up there again. Oxford, Pompey, (Fleetwood), Posh, Sunderland, Doncaster, (Gillingham), Ipswich