Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if already posted as I haven’t read the whole thread but here’s the Washington chance at the end of the game.
  • Options
    When teams like Rochdale finish like they did against us, and our foward does that with the last kick of the game. 

Every decision taken was the wrong one from the first touch. 

Excellent pass.

• Options
    Cracking ball. I have a hard time figuring out if Morgan is right or left footed. Seems equally good with both.
  • Options
    Not been a fan of Washington's ever since his miss at Lincoln which would have put us 1-0 up.

Saying that, the effort on Saturday was a hard chance, but made harder by taking it away from goal by going around the keeper. Different between a good striker and an average one.
  • Options
    The screenshot makes it look a much easier chance than it was.

That is some pass from Albie
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Washington's first touch isn't quite good enough. He's always trying to catch up after that and once he's had to go so wide, he's got such a lot to do to hit the target from a narrow angle. Shame because his runs were good and Swindon struggled to pick him up. 
    His second touch wasn’t great either to be fair, needs to push the ball past the goalkeeper but he pretty much kicks it out of play in doing so. I don’t think it was an easy chance, particularly with the onrushing defender closing down the angle, but it was a decent chance. 
  • Options
    Not been a fan of Washington's ever since his miss at Lincoln which would have put us 1-0 up.

Saying that, the effort on Saturday was a hard chance, but made harder by taking it away from goal by going around the keeper. Different between a good striker and an average one.
    Tbf thats quite obvious, if he was banging them in for fun then he wouldnt be playing league 1 level football!
  • Options
    You don't see many one one ones scored by rounding the keeper the opposite side to where you have dinked the ball. That requires quite some skill else you are just making it harder for yourself. I actually think the video makes it look easier than the freeze frame. But ow well, the game has gone. I will sounds like LB by constantly referencing the miss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mendonca, I agree with what you said elsewhere.
    Washington invariably makes things more difficult for himself because he is so one (right) footed and is always trying to get the ball onto his right, when often cutting inside is the better option, rather than going away from the goal.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    You don't see many one one ones scored by rounding the keeper the opposite side to where you have dinked the ball. That requires quite some skill else you are just making it harder for yourself. I actually think the video makes it look easier than the freeze frame. But ow well, the game has gone. I will sounds like LB by constantly referencing the miss.
    A random fact, Ronaldo (Brazilian) scored 88 of his career goals taking it around the keeper. What a player.
    Great stat! He played tease ball with the keeper using close control, burst of pace/power and precision finishing. Great player who probably could also do so on a cold Tuesday in Stoke/Swindon/Burton.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Not sure if already posted as I haven’t read the whole thread but here’s the Washington chance at the end of the game.
    The more I watch this chance, you see how wide the keepers legs are, imagine if Washington had tried passing it through keepers legs first time it would have gone in. Pace of the ball was probably too much for going around him, hence why his touch pretty much pushed it out for a goal kick. 

Magic quick pass from Morgan. 
  • Options
    I don't think Washington can be criticised too much for that. He was doing it at pace which makes it much harder. I think he needed to try to beat the angle getting worse by sliding at the ball but not a glaring miss.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    No chance Shinnie's offside for the equaliser...

The fact we missed a last minute sitter means the JFC's pass for the comeback is not getting raved about.
    I’ve stuck up for JFC loads and am delighted with how he’s been playing. But it was a pretty poor shot, definitely not a pass. We were fortunate although Shinnie was switched on and a composed finish. 
    But that's his thing! Yet another atrocious JFC shot that has led to a goal. Whether it's goalkeeper error, accidental assist, deflection or glitch in the Matrix, JFC hits awful shots and they lead to goals. I've never seen someone hit so many terrible shots and get goals. If Simon Church had had this power he'd have more goals to his name than Ronaldo
  • Options
    If you get balls in the box and have players in the box to capitalise you are more likely to get goals. What can be an issue is a team puts bodies in the box and we have only one player in there. I thought against Swindon we were better at getting players in there but not perfect. If Aneke has it wide, a couple of midfielders need to bust a gut to get in there.
  • Options

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

Yes. Over the moon. 

Passive aggressive and delusional. Just bore off 
    Is it really delusional though? Our post match threads are far more active after a negative result, same as on twitter when we concede, lots more replies than when we score
    Your insistence that everything is ok is delusional.

Saying that fans will be ecstatic if we lose is passive aggressive.

Your one man campaign to shoot down everyone who disagrees with you is boring.
    So instead of actuallly trying to debunk what I say you just carry on trying to be more arsey? What a bloke

One man campaign? Not got a clue what you are on about there, I just post how I think at the time, if you think my posts boring then well, I'm sure I won't lose much rest over it to be fair. It's a forum, boo hoo pal 

Passive aggressive? No I'm not the type, that comment is the truth, people are more enthusiastic over Charlton losing than winning, activity on threads across all Charlton media and the nature of peoples posts kind of show it. 

Bit of a plonker aren't you really
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I hate the fact that some Charlton fans think we we are somehow entitled to promotion. That drawing with Swindon is ‘below’ us (it’s frustrating but not terminal). This season was always going to be tough. Relegated in the last minute, ownership chaos, half the squad left (including most of our quality players), short pre season, under embargo for some of the transfer window, late signings under the wage cap, patched up the defence with 2 good centre halves (then both get long term injuries), best player (Doughty) out etc etc. Of course we all want promotion, of course we are not defending well enough, of course we are not taking our chances. But we need to give Bowyer a proper summer window, a full pre season and a proper chance to rebuild. We are on a desperately bad run of form, but sacking Bowyer is not the answer. Let’s give the guy a break and see what he can do. Lenny Lawrence, Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell all had bad runs and ultimately had successful periods because they got the club and got the fans. I am convinced Bowyer is the same... we’ve dropped to this league 3 times in recent history and it took 3 seasons each time to get back up, what’s the big panic now ? 
    I know the like system is meant to avoid posts like this, but I can't help but quote and say what a level headed post, I wish more of our fans saw it like this. 

Some of the names I am seeing on twitter, Cowleys, Cook etc, none of them will get Charlton like Bowyer do and would be off at the first opportunity.

Genuinely intrested but do you think "getting Charlton" is more important than short term/medium term success?  

Second question do you think Bowyer stayed because he "got Charlton" or he got paid a reasonable amount, doesn't actually need the job and has a family settled in the area?

Third question if Leeds, Westham, Newcastle or one of the "big six" offered Bowyer their managers job do you think he would stay? 
    Local lad, came through the ranks, understands our culture, understands the fan base. How many clubs have a local lad as their manager? It's why I was so attached to Curbs and Powell, Charlton men. I don't see how that's hard to get..

I think he stayed because he felt like this was the right club for him and has us in our best interests.

As for your third question, luckily according to our expert fan base that's something that will never happen cause he hasn't got a clue allegedly and loses dressing rooms? I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it but I can only assume if that hypothetical situation ever happened we would be in the championship and doing well, leaving us in a better state than what he came in. Can't argue with that but even then I don't think he leaves unless he is asked to or isn't being backed.

Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Slade. Just a few more reasons why I am happy with the manager who we have. 

We will go up, I don't care if it's this season or the next, or the next, he will take us up and we will be stronger for it when it happens with a side ready to go up. Why the desperation to get up with a league 1 side and probably come straight back down. I want to go up like Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Bristol City, Blackburn, us with Powell etc did. Go up with a squad with momentum that is good enough to hold their own in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, not a patch work league 1 team.

Would people be happier if we did what Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham have been doing? Constant yo-yoin and sacking the manager mid season. Something I've got no interest in 
    You go up when you can , you don’t fanny for another season cos you might comeback down.... 
    we have the players good enough to make the play offs but we aren’t reaching the level they are capable of (just yet) 
    Maybe we shouldn’t have gone up in 1998 cos we weren’t strong enough to stay up ffs
    with the salary cap , going up would give us a chance to massively strengthen to stay up and if we were to go down we’d be in a better starting position to go back up .
    I’m sick of being in league one , in my first 33 seasons of watching Charlton we had 1 season in the third tier, 12 in the top tier .
    the last 12 seasons have seen 7 in the third tier , yeah I’m a football snob/knob whatever but I’m not sitting here being  all happy clappy when we are clearly underperforming at the lowest level we’ve played at since we joined the football league .
    Call it a greedy sense of entitlement but I’m not aiming particularly high I just want the average for us which is championship and being above the scum .
    I’m never gonna be content in the third tier , I’m greedy (plus it’s such a struggle trying to keep my sons interested in us at this level of shitness)

That may be true but I would rather spend an extra season down here and go up stronger the next than do what Wycombe are doing.

I'm 29 so maybe I'm a bit more patient than you as the prem days I was fairly young and most of my adult life we have been a league 1 side. I also don't have kids so don't need to worry about convincing them Charlton are the right team for them, can see why you're frustrated but I've just got tremendous faith we will be a club on a different level in 3-5 years from now 
    I guarantee if we go up this season we will have a much stronger side in the Championship next season than the one we will have trying to go up from League One 
    Not really something that can be guaranteed though, I would assume so but it's not guaranteed, our league 1 18/19 team was a lot better than our championship 19/20 team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People will obviously be ecstatic though cause it's a chance to be negative and angry

Yes. Over the moon. 

Passive aggressive and delusional. Just bore off 
    Is it really delusional though? Our post match threads are far more active after a negative result, same as on twitter when we concede, lots more replies than when we score
    Your insistence that everything is ok is delusional.

Saying that fans will be ecstatic if we lose is passive aggressive.

Your one man campaign to shoot down everyone who disagrees with you is boring.
    So instead of actuallly trying to debunk what I say you just carry on trying to be more arsey? What a bloke

One man campaign? Not got a clue what you are on about there, I just post how I think at the time, if you think my posts boring then well, I'm sure I won't lose much rest over it to be fair. It's a forum, boo hoo pal 

Passive aggressive? No I'm not the type, that comment is the truth, people are more enthusiastic over Charlton losing than winning, activity on threads across all Charlton media and the nature of peoples posts kind of show it. 

Bit of a plonker aren't you really
    I did debunk what you said.  If you won't or can't understand it tough titty.  As for being a "plonker" the feeling is mutual.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I hate the fact that some Charlton fans think we we are somehow entitled to promotion. That drawing with Swindon is ‘below’ us (it’s frustrating but not terminal). This season was always going to be tough. Relegated in the last minute, ownership chaos, half the squad left (including most of our quality players), short pre season, under embargo for some of the transfer window, late signings under the wage cap, patched up the defence with 2 good centre halves (then both get long term injuries), best player (Doughty) out etc etc. Of course we all want promotion, of course we are not defending well enough, of course we are not taking our chances. But we need to give Bowyer a proper summer window, a full pre season and a proper chance to rebuild. We are on a desperately bad run of form, but sacking Bowyer is not the answer. Let’s give the guy a break and see what he can do. Lenny Lawrence, Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell all had bad runs and ultimately had successful periods because they got the club and got the fans. I am convinced Bowyer is the same... we’ve dropped to this league 3 times in recent history and it took 3 seasons each time to get back up, what’s the big panic now ? 
    I know the like system is meant to avoid posts like this, but I can't help but quote and say what a level headed post, I wish more of our fans saw it like this. 

Some of the names I am seeing on twitter, Cowleys, Cook etc, none of them will get Charlton like Bowyer do and would be off at the first opportunity.

Genuinely intrested but do you think "getting Charlton" is more important than short term/medium term success?  

Second question do you think Bowyer stayed because he "got Charlton" or he got paid a reasonable amount, doesn't actually need the job and has a family settled in the area?

Third question if Leeds, Westham, Newcastle or one of the "big six" offered Bowyer their managers job do you think he would stay? 
    Local lad, came through the ranks, understands our culture, understands the fan base. How many clubs have a local lad as their manager? It's why I was so attached to Curbs and Powell, Charlton men. I don't see how that's hard to get..

I think he stayed because he felt like this was the right club for him and has us in our best interests.

As for your third question, luckily according to our expert fan base that's something that will never happen cause he hasn't got a clue allegedly and loses dressing rooms? I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it but I can only assume if that hypothetical situation ever happened we would be in the championship and doing well, leaving us in a better state than what he came in. Can't argue with that but even then I don't think he leaves unless he is asked to or isn't being backed.

Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Slade. Just a few more reasons why I am happy with the manager who we have. 

We will go up, I don't care if it's this season or the next, or the next, he will take us up and we will be stronger for it when it happens with a side ready to go up. Why the desperation to get up with a league 1 side and probably come straight back down. I want to go up like Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Bristol City, Blackburn, us with Powell etc did. Go up with a squad with momentum that is good enough to hold their own in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, not a patch work league 1 team.

Would people be happier if we did what Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham have been doing? Constant yo-yoin and sacking the manager mid season. Something I've got no interest in 
    You go up when you can , you don’t fanny for another season cos you might comeback down.... 
    we have the players good enough to make the play offs but we aren’t reaching the level they are capable of (just yet) 
    Maybe we shouldn’t have gone up in 1998 cos we weren’t strong enough to stay up ffs
    with the salary cap , going up would give us a chance to massively strengthen to stay up and if we were to go down we’d be in a better starting position to go back up .
    I’m sick of being in league one , in my first 33 seasons of watching Charlton we had 1 season in the third tier, 12 in the top tier .
    the last 12 seasons have seen 7 in the third tier , yeah I’m a football snob/knob whatever but I’m not sitting here being  all happy clappy when we are clearly underperforming at the lowest level we’ve played at since we joined the football league .
    Call it a greedy sense of entitlement but I’m not aiming particularly high I just want the average for us which is championship and being above the scum .
    I’m never gonna be content in the third tier , I’m greedy (plus it’s such a struggle trying to keep my sons interested in us at this level of shitness)

That may be true but I would rather spend an extra season down here and go up stronger the next than do what Wycombe are doing.

I'm 29 so maybe I'm a bit more patient than you as the prem days I was fairly young and most of my adult life we have been a league 1 side. I also don't have kids so don't need to worry about convincing them Charlton are the right team for them, can see why you're frustrated but I've just got tremendous faith we will be a club on a different level in 3-5 years from now 
    I guarantee if we go up this season we will have a much stronger side in the Championship next season than the one we will have trying to go up from League One 
    Not really something that can be guaranteed though, I would assume so but it's not guaranteed, our league 1 18/19 team was a lot better than our championship 19/20 team
    Cafc43v3r said:

When we had a complete clown/cnut of an owner .
    if you can’t see the difference now then well you’ve got some good news the season we go up 

put it this way I’d say if we go up this season we will have a much much better chance of being in the championship in the season 22-23 than if we don’t go up this season .

• Options
    If you get balls in the box and have players in the box to capitalise you are more likely to get goals. What can be an issue is a team puts bodies in the box and we have only one player in there. I thought against Swindon we were better at getting players in there but not perfect. If Aneke has it wide, a couple of midfielders need to bust a gut to get in there.
    If aneke has it wide he's just as likely to take a pot shot than square it
  • Options
    True, which is no reason for a player not to gamble. Goalscorers don't allow this into their thinking, they expect it to be squared. And sometimes he does.
  • Options
    True, which is no reason for a player not to gamble. Goalscorers don't allow this into their thinking, they expect it to be squared. And sometimes he does.
    Very rarely, he's bloody greedy with his shooting. 
  • Options
    Still, always assume it will come to you. The difference between a goalscorer and a normal player.
  • Options
    You can tell which one the Canadian is out of that lot...

Probably thinks its quite mild tonight