Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    If we are moving towards Pratley and Watson in midfield we have no chance of promotion. One by all means but not both. We need to play quicker than teams can handle and pick the players that can achieve that.
  • Options
    If we are moving towards Pratley and Watson in midfield we have no chance of promotion. One by all means but not both. We need to play quicker than teams can handle and pick the players that can achieve that.
    I never said we should. But what you cannot dispute is that we were difficult to beat when they did play together. Teams might have worked it out in time but we weren’t conceding and were winning games. 
  • Options
    I never said we should. But what you cannot dispute is that we were difficult to beat when they did play together. Teams might have worked it out in time but we weren’t conceding and were winning games. 
    We were difficult to beat because our centre halves were an excellent pairing. Inniss won everything and did so in both boxes and Famewo complemented him well. 
  • Options
    We were difficult to beat because our centre halves were an excellent pairing. Inniss won everything and did so in both boxes and Famewo complemented him well. 
    Don't think it was just that. Amos, Gunter and Maatsen were all better with those two aswell. That back 5 were building a strong platform. Pratley and Watson did their jobs too, we were difficult to break down and that quite often led to the opposition resulting to long balls. Which played into the hands of Inniss particularly. 
  • Options
    They did their jobs and I think it is good to play one of them appropriate to the opponents but to give them credit for the run is re-writing history IMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    They did their jobs and I think it is good to play one of them appropriate to the opponents but to give them credit for the run is re-writing history IMO.
    I don't think it is. I think saying our run was because of the two CB's is unfair on the team. I haven't said Pratley or Watson was the reason for the run, I'm saying they played their part. Two CB's in great form can't alone be responsible for that run of form. 
  • Options
    Only seen the highlights but our second goal looked off side
  • Options
    doronron said:
    Only seen the highlights but our second goal looked off side
    It wasn't at all. Our disallowed one was borderline but given as off.
  • Options
    Swindon will be thinking how lucky they were......ergo justifiably we can think how unlucky we were......and we most certainly were.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Another frustrating afternoon of football. I’m more annoyed with Bowyer’s comment about not getting another defender that the performance. Two stupid mistakes for the goals and missing loads of chances down the other end.

Going to be a wasted season.
    I think we should remember how this season started in terms of club security. That's no excuses for some recent defensive lapses, but this is a project, and this is the first season of it. Championship in 2 seasons, Prem 2 seasons after that... that's fine. We're showing signs of a squad coming together, despite poor results. Afraid we have to be patient... 

Not saying some of Lee's positioning decisions haven't been weird, or that a couple of the summer signings didn't miss the mark, but we need stability, we need our full squad. We need to build a team. They're getting better.
    If this is the start of a long term project why are we, almost exclusively, signing 27+ year olds and short term loans?

Gunter, Watson, Maddison etc were signed (and paid accordingly) to get us out this league this season.   The youngest players we have signed permanently are Gilbey and Innis, both about 25.

Throw in Schwartz, Bogle and Matthews as well.  Hardly building for the future, plus pushing us nearer next seasons cap. 

We are highly unlikely to be able to of signed Maatsen, Millar, Famewo or even Levitt on perms anytime soon even with Thomas as owner. That leaves Smyth (probably not good enough) or Shinnie (the wrong side of 30).

Thats not what you do at the start of a project, that's what you do when you gamble on red.  Make no mistake next year can't be a "Powell style" rebuild because we simply don't have the wiggle room in the wage cap. 
    Because when they were signed it wasn't the start of a long-term project!! We were on our way to oblivion. The summer signings were therefore what we could get. This window is the first of the project, and if we have signed a couple of loans, it's because they improve the squad. 
    You don't understand how linear time works?
    Pretty well, being a horologist. You?
    He’s got a horology! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think it is. I think saying our run was because of the two CB's is unfair on the team. I haven't said Pratley or Watson was the reason for the run, I'm saying they played their part. Two CB's in great form can't alone be responsible for that run of form. 
    I understand what you are saying. I think playing Pratley and Watson removed some of our attacking possibilities which was less of an issue when we were strong defensively. I appreciate they may have contributed in some way to the team's defensive qualities but when we lost Inniss and Famewo they became an issue. Not individually but collectively. 
  • Options
    I understand what you are saying. I think playing Pratley and Watson removed some of our attacking possibilities which was less of an issue when we were strong defensively. I appreciate they may have contributed in some way to the team's defensive qualities but when we lost Inniss and Famewo they became an issue. Not individually but collectively. 
    I agree. I don’t really want Pratley and Watson in midfield together, not with the options we now have. We definitely need those two back and picking up where they left off to stand any chance of mounting another great run we need to finish top 6. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    esseffect said:
    “Boywer got it all wrong” 

The same people who wanted the same line up
    He's not getting it wrong in the selection anymore, but clearly something is wrong with the coaching. Every player we've got has regressed this season, and our defence is getting worse and wors
    As is your spelling.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I don't understand how so many are so sure that we'll go on a late run, what evidence is this based on?

Also people so sure we'll get promoted in later seasons. Again, based on what?

Seems like nothing more than blind faith
  • Options
    Btw can we do something about the lol system and add maybe a disagree option, you see I want to know if I'm actually a funny guy or not and use my post to lol ratio to determine how much so, but all my serious posts today have been lol'd. Very hard to get a true reflection 
    Brilliant sir 
  • Options
    Interesting that both yesterday and in the away 2-2 at Swindon, they only had 2 shots on target and both went in. Could Amos be doing better? That means in both those games he failed to save any shots on target.
    Glad someone else is asking the question finally. I really think Amos is a big part of why we are letting in so many goals from so little shots conceded. 

He’s got talent and his season with us that helped get us into the play-offs was a decent one but he’s never held down a spot in a higher league. We need to bring in better and younger once his contract is up.

I liked the look of their keeper Travers today - just signed on loan from Bournemouth. Also Baxter at Accrington on loan from Chelsea looked very assured. The kind of young keepers we should be targeting as the squad is rebuilt.
    I was a big fan of Amos’s start this season but he’s been pretty bland, nothingy and not great of late , has he suffered the manager/player of the month curse !
  • Options
    Washington to score this.
    I’ll be honest , i didn’t ever fancy him to convert .
    There’s something about him that just gives me no confidence in him , i can’t quite put my finger on it but I don’t rate him at all but he ain’t that bad , it’s all  a bit confusing 
    There's something very honest about Conor Washington ...... he'll put in the hard yards, defend from the front  - and there he is again, on a lung busting run off the ball to try and make something happen, or drag a defender out of position to create space for a team mate. Proper team player.

But does he have that killer instinct, the ruthless mental decisiveness, the composure that clinical finishers have?
    IMO .....if he could add a bit of that to his game, he'd double his goal tally.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Oohaah .... I did like your post above. But you made me laugh with your quality line, fuck me ive read every post on this thread , proper sad Cnut ".

Ha ha ..... that's me too. You got the LOL instead!

• Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't understand how so many are so sure that we'll go on a late run, what evidence is this based on?

I’m as pessimistic/realistic as they come .

Last season even when it was rosey I could smell shitness in our performances and was well ahead of the curve in expecting us to really struggle.

This season ive fancied us all along for the play offs , the players are more than good enough and with a fully fit squad the autos could have beckoned but it  is what it is and injuries /shit tactics have reduced those chances but there are some green shoots of recovery the last few games have seen a marked improvement in our performances, yes the results haven’t appeared but if we continue on this path they will appear .
    The problem is we have been soooo dog shit wielding only 15 points from 14 games that when we do have this good run it will only just keep us in the mix with everyone else having games in hand , so the we’re still 6th brigade need a decent run to hold on to that spot .
    I think it’s now touch and go re making the play offs , anything outside the top 6 is a failure for me , we have the players and ability we need the manager to find his minerals and lift them to their full potential .

fuck me ive read every post on this thread , proper sad Cnut .

0%    Automatic promotion
    35%     Play offs 
    55%   7th-12th
    10%  13th-20th

Me too ... not much else to do  :D
  • Options
    Interesting that both yesterday and in the away 2-2 at Swindon, they only had 2 shots on target and both went in. Could Amos be doing better? That means in both those games he failed to save any shots on target.
    Glad someone else is asking the question finally. I really think Amos is a big part of why we are letting in so many goals from so little shots conceded. 

He’s got talent and his season with us that helped get us into the play-offs was a decent one but he’s never held down a spot in a higher league. We need to bring in better and younger once his contract is up.

I liked the look of their keeper Travers today - just signed on loan from Bournemouth. Also Baxter at Accrington on loan from Chelsea looked very assured. The kind of young keepers we should be targeting as the squad is rebuilt.
    I was a big fan of Amos’s start this season but he’s been pretty bland, nothingy and not great of late , has he suffered the manager/player of the month curse !
    Amos? ..... no, he's suffered from, "we've got a sh*t defence" syndrome.

• Options
    Croydon said:

I'm one of those people who think we are very close to putting a run together that will certainly see us in the playoffs and I'm not ruling out automatic promotion. This isnt based on rose tinted glasses honest lol. We without doubt have been under performing lately but the signs are there that the team are gelling. Look at our squad of players. You tell me any other team in the league that wouldnt want our squad. We just need a rub of the green and a bit of confidence to return and I honestly cant see many teams beating us once we get to that stage. As I keep saying we are due to give someone a proper drubbing before long. Once the squad get a grip of things the points will climb.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:

I'm one of those people who think we are very close to putting a run together that will certainly see us in the playoffs and I'm not ruling out automatic promotion. This isnt based on rose tinted glasses honest lol. We without doubt have been under performing lately but the signs are there that the team are gelling. Look at our squad of players. You tell me any other team in the league that wouldnt want our squad. We just need a rub of the green and a bit of confidence to return and I honestly cant see many teams beating us once we get to that stage. As I keep saying we are due to give someone a proper drubbing before long. Once the squad get a grip of things the points will climb.
    Oh for fucks sake. No. Just no. They have months, multiple months to "get a grip" - they have not. Why should we expect that to change now? The fact that you keep saying "we're due to give a drubbing" and it STILL has not happened.

This is NOT a temporary blip. This is an underperforming team. We can argue til the end of days about why that might be but this team are not playing as well as they should. One or two bad results is bad luck. Months of bad results is bad performance.
  • Options

Another poor result against a team in the lower reaches to add to all the others. Although we hit the woodwork twice in the first half and had some promising attacks, I thought that Swindon were probably the better side overall during the first period. They moved the ball better than us, largely controlled midfield and looked dangerous every time they came forward. Although JFC continued his recent good form, Pratley looked well off the pace and Williams and Millar are never going to offer that much when you’re out of possession.

Their first goal was the result of some appalling defending and, worryingly, from two of our better players, Amos and Matthews, which suggests a general erosion of confidence. The second goal wasn’t as bad but still very poor. Leaving aside Millar’s slow response and half-hearted non-challenge on the edge of the box, Swindon found it far too easy to play through our midfield into the danger area, as they did repeatedly in the first half. I’m afraid that this has been a problem all season, regardless of whether one or both of our old warhorses have been treading the boards. It’s also an issue which goes beyond the need to get ‘stuck into challenges’ and I think that questions have to be asked about the coaching and management of this group of players.

We were much better in the second half and Bowyer deserves some credit for changing the shape and personnel although, quite frankly, he had to do something. Shinnie started to knit things together and Albie Morgan was excellent following his introduction on the hour, creating gilt-edged chances for Aneke, Shinnie and Washington - all of which were missed. What does this lad have to do to get a decent run in the side and is Bowyer - now over halfway through the season - any nearer to knowing his best midfield ?

Two clean sheets and 25 goals conceded in the last 14 league games tells its own story and, worryingly, the leakage at the back shows absolutely no sign of abating. Things should improve in the next month or so once Famewo and Inniss are fit but I think the problems go beyond those attributable to injuries. Fortunately, we do have some genuine firepower up top but there’s been too much tinkering with personnel and formations to enable partnerships to develop and the team lacks a discernible style and pattern of play. It also can’t help the players’ confidence if they feel they’re always going to be in and out of the side.

It’s not too late to put a run together to get into the play-offs but, at present, our ultimate destination looks to be mid-table. Whilst we’ve been significantly handicapped by the embargo and the salary cap, I don’t think anyone can credibly contend that Lee and his coaching staff are getting the best out of this squad of players. Let’s hope for an upturn in our form and fortunes, as a failure to mount a meaningful challenge for the top 6 is not good enough for a club of our size and resources. 

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:

Oh for fucks sake. No. Just no. They have months, multiple months to "get a grip" - they have not. Why should we expect that to change now? The fact that you keep saying "we're due to give a drubbing" and it STILL has not happened.

This is NOT a temporary blip. This is an underperforming team. We can argue til the end of days about why that might be but this team are not playing as well as they should. One or two bad results is bad luck. Months of bad results is bad performance.
    Ok how many games do you think we will lose before the end of the season ? Presuming the season does run to the end. I say we wont lose another 4 games !
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Not that I'm in any way defending him @Leuth (Millar not Bowyer) I think because if how much he has affected play and wanted the ball wherever he is on the pitch coupled with the fact he isn't our player meant he couldn't rip him a new one publicly 

Me and my group were all fuming at Millar fannying out of that challenge because we were all Saturday and Sunday league players who to a man wouldn't do that, what Millar has shown is how valuable defensively he is in the same way Jerome Thomas used to be, get the ball deep in our half, get shit kicked, win foul, relieve pressure. Millar has shown for every ball he has been near and looks to beat his opposite number, I love watching it. And I think he still hasn't hit his stride yet
    Like for Like for Alfie. Good player but did bottle the challenge.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Croydon said:

Ok how many games do you think we will lose before the end of the season ? Presuming the season does run to the end. I say we wont lose another 4 games !
    Double figures easily.  Maybe draw a few. More than 5-6 wins will be astonishing based on current form.