Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maddison

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    You can never convince me that Bowyer has given Maddison a fair crack 
    Maddison isn't unique. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Weird, Bowyer was surely part of our pursuit of Maddison over two transfer windows - odd that you would so quickly write off a player that you wanted for so long. 
     Don't think that's necessarily the case.

The first approach was only to give Southall a bit of credence. Bowyer wasn't to know that. But he didn't know how much shyte Southall was about to chat.

Then second time round, when you've got to get a squad together quick, you can understand him approaching a player he effectively knew. Still a bit of a gamble though

I've never got the impression he was a player that Bowyer was desperate to sign.
  • Options
    For some reason i can't see SLP articles, can someone copy and paste it here?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Bowyer really dislikes him doesn't he. 

Lee can keep moaning about the salary cap, but he's wasted a fair chunk of it himself here by alienating Maddison 
    Bowyers the boss, shape up or ship out. How do you know he doesn’t like him, what’s that assumption based on? Maddison has got previous for being a disruptive influence hasn’t he? Why couldn’t he get into the Hull team 2nd half of last season? No smoke without fire.

Bowyer sees him in training (when he’s fit) and if his attitude is not right why should he be mollycoddled? The bloke is taking up a salary and no wonder LBs moaning about the cap. The fella needs to get his act together and roll his sleeves up.
     I'm concerned as to why we spent so much time and effort chasing him if he's that disruptive.

Scouts, players and other managers would have given opinions on him. 

I'm concerned if we've still put in the effort to sign him and he's as bad as some are insinuating.
    That’s fair comment Daz but I’m sure you’ve bought things before despite having researched the product fully but been disappointed with its performance. Maybe Bowyer thought he could make him a better team player however jumping out of tackles, is like a red rag to a bull to LB.

As a kid you’re told go in committed or else your going to get hurt, basic stuff. Personally I don’t think he was injured when he bottled that infamous challenge and as I said at the time, if he was he should’ve gone down beforehand. And again when you start playing at a higher level you are told to do so therefore he was his own worst enemy. So the ‘I don’t care’ remark after the game to me was more directed towards the reasoning why he jumped rather than about the players welfare. 

Unfortunately it seems that the manager and player don’t have the same view on how the game should be played and unless they have a meeting of minds Maddison will be an outcast. It won’t be the first in the history of the game or the last.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Somethings not quite right there is it. If he was ill then fair enough but that’s not actually what Bowyer says. “He says he is ill”, that doesn’t sound like he believes him to me. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t play for us again but we’ll see. 
  • Options
    Talking about his newest addition, Addicks boss Lee Bowyer added: “Marcus is someone we tried to bring here in January, but obviously the embargo was in place. We’ve finally got our man and got it over the line.

“He brings goals. His stats over the last few years are excellent, he regularly gets to double figures in goals and gets a lot of assists, so he brings about 25 goals to a team in a season.

"He’s an experienced player that knows this league inside out.”
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talking about his newest addition, Addicks boss Lee Bowyer added: “Marcus is someone we tried to bring here in January, but obviously the embargo was in place. We’ve finally got our man and got it over the line.

“He brings goals. His stats over the last few years are excellent, he regularly gets to double figures in goals and gets a lot of assists, so he brings about 25 goals to a team in a season.

Reminds of the old saying that you never really know a partner 'til you've lived with them. That doesn't stop you doing proper research as to why they split up with their previous partners though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why would a manager not just bat that question away?  "Maddison had his ankle I jury and has been unwell, we will see when he returns", simple.  His words make this a story and headline the club just don't need.
    Especially after a good victory away from home. Shouldn’t really be a story about an injured midfielder whose not recovered from
    his injuries.

Throw in the comments on the article about Symth when Bowyer says we only have one winger at the club in Millar. Wonder what he class Maddison as.
  • Options
    Sweet, so now he's lazy and runs around too much.. gotcha 
  • Options
    Sometimes signings don’t work out for one reason or another
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    If my boss stated that he couldn't give a shit about my welfare, I wouldn't fancy going into work either.
    What if you had three consecutive bosses at three different workplaces who didn't give a shit about your welfare. 

Is that the massive coincidence of having three horrible bosses on the spin, or could the problem actually be you?
    Don’t recall his previous “bosses” saying they didn’t care if he had a serious injury...
  • Options
    Good job Bowyer didn't manage years ago otherwise the country would never have seen the likes of George Best, Rodney Marsh or our very own Killer.
  • Options
    Fosu, Williams, Oztumer and Maddison. Flair players unable to be managed by Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Fosu, Williams, Oztumer and Maddison. Flair players unable to be managed by Bowyer. 
    McGeady didn’t do well either, although that was more because he was a dreadful player!
  • Options
    Would not be at all surprised if we never see him play for us again
    Shame because he has talent but something obviously is not right 
    I have been thinking that as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Conor Gallagher, Joe Aribo, ahem, Lyle Taylor, Andrew Shinnie, and now Liam Miller. All flair players who flourish(ed) under Bowyer, but they all also work their bollocks off for the team. Anyone who listened to Liam Miller's post-match interview last night could not fail to be impressed by his attitude too. 
    Alfie Doughty, Albie Morgan?
  • Options
    spot on Garry and PA
  • Options
    Conor Gallagher, Joe Aribo, ahem, Lyle Taylor, Andrew Shinnie, and now Liam Miller. All flair players who flourish(ed) under Bowyer, but they all also work their bollocks off for the team. Anyone who listened to Liam Miller's post-match interview last night could not fail to be impressed by his attitude too. 
    Yes I agree. You can compare Taylor and Maddison, two flair players who I would regard to be quite stroppy. One like you say, works their bollocks off for the team. My issue is that Bowyer tracked Maddison for a year and knew what he was getting, now seems to be quite stroppy himself!

For the record, I'm Bowyer over Maddison. Really not sure the latter wants to be here at all and had little choice but to accept our offer. I'm just really confused as to why we signed him. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

1st stage of building his confidence and very good management; especially considering he was a ‘free’ who nobody had touched with a barge pole - even though he had been available all summer. 
    I am sure that ‘issues’ were mentioned when we signed him, and I don’t think there can be many who were not at least puzzled at why he was still available. The inner football world would have known and so would have SG, Bows etc. But was it worth a risk in the position we were in? I would say yes and think that if anyone could get him back on track it would have been Bowyer.
    Tweets in the middle of the night whilst scoffing pizza suggests to me that his issues are deeper than just not liking training or similar.

Others said something about Bowyer as a manager should have gone over to see how is was. I don’t know what organisation you work for, but if you are not going into work you call your boss and explain the problem. You update them while you are off. When you are fit to return you call them. The first thing you do when you get in you go to see them and let them know you are back. You don’t expect your manager to have to come looking for you. It doesn’t work both ways. 

Signing him was worth the risk. Some you lose. It would take a fantastic change of attitude for him to get himself back into the squad. Unfortunately I don’t think he has that in him, and there is nobody else to blame for that.
  • Options
    Yes I agree. You can compare Taylor and Maddison, two flair players who I would regard to be quite stroppy. One like you say, works their bollocks off for the team. My issue is that Bowyer tracked Maddison for a year and knew what he was getting, now seems to be quite stroppy himself!

For the record, I'm Bowyer over Maddison. Really not sure the latter wants to be here at all and had little choice but to accept our offer. I'm just really confused as to why we signed him. 
    I constantly wonder if Bowyer thought he could turn Maddison around

Taylor didnt really need turning around as much prior to joining but Bowyer definitely improved him

Its the only reason I can think of

Either that or quite bluntly they've sat down and gone: "Well he's the only real option"
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I’m afraid it’s the old, ‘Bridges of Maddison County’ syndrome, will Bowyer or Marcus be able to cross?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    TS will hear constant references to the salary cap that's "killing us" and then see his money wasted on a player who was meant to put goals on a plate for forwards, that's no longer being talked about with the same expectation and skillset on offer.