Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maddison

Comments

• Options
    Why are people writing him off already? He’s played under 10 games already and looked alright in those!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Fosu, Williams, Oztumer and Maddison. Flair players unable to be managed by Bowyer. 
    McGeady didn’t do well either, although that was more because he was a dreadful player!
    He wasn't a dreadful player.

Proved he was very decent at top levels in his prime. 
    Just lost his quick feet by 34 - and a bit past it for the high intensity game Bowyer expects from his players.

He wasn't our 1st choice signing though, was he?
    You can thank ESI and the transfer embargo for that!

He was dreadful. 
  • Options
    No, he was actually decent coming out of lockdown. Not brilliant but he gave us a bit of natural width in the 4-4-2 we started playing. He then dipped a bit towards the end, but he was one of our only players who looked like a goal threat in midfield so we weren't just reliant on Bonne taking the chances that fell to him. We'd be living a very different life if his shot against Birmingham had gone in instead of hitting the post when we were 1-0 up
  • Options
    No, he was actually decent coming out of lockdown. Not brilliant but he gave us a bit of natural width in the 4-4-2 we started playing. He then dipped a bit towards the end, but he was one of our only players who looked like a goal threat in midfield so we weren't just reliant on Bonne taking the chances that fell to him. We'd be living a very different life if his shot against Birmingham had gone in instead of hitting the post when we were 1-0 up
    Lol he was both dreadful and lazy for us. Makes Maddison look a hard worker
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Maddison is a player with top-end Championship pot - he was available on a free and and presumably accepted much lower wages than would have previously commanded due to the salary cap. In those circumstances, sounds like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Furthermore, I'm pretty certain that, after watching a highlights reel of his performances for Peterborough, pretty much anyone on here would have said "free transfer? Go get him!".

Can't believe the eagerness to chuck blame at Bowyer at the moment. It's boring and embarrassing. Is their any other job where you can exceed expectations for 2 and a half years and find your position under pressure after 2 months of under-performance?!

Yes, people who work in sales.
  • Options
    it's simple.

Bad attitude as described by previous managers
    Unprofessional behaviour
    Unfit so couldn't hit the ground running
    Doesn't fit into Bowyer's preferred style (see Millar yesterday in the 89th min)
    We had a lack of available targets, I presume Maddison had no other offers

Really good ATTACKING player, but blatantly a cock
  • Options
    Easy to forget that he actually grafted in those games against QPR and Hull out of lockdown because he didn't provide the big change we hoped for from the January signings. He was then poor against Reading and then put in work again against Birmingham and was very unlucky not to score and win us the game. He wasn't great at all and I don't miss him, but he wasn't as bad as some of what we brought in. Lol indeed.
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    it's simple.

Unprofessional behaviour
    Doesn't fit into Bowyer's preferred style (see Millar yesterday in the 89th min)

'See Millar in 89th'

Yeah.... just like maddison did 
     against Sunderland.

If your gonna call someone a cock, at least have valid points or you look like one yourself.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    SamE7 said:
    it's simple.

Unprofessional behaviour

'See Millar in 89th'

Yeah.... just like maddison did 
     against Sunderland.

If your gonna call someone a cock, at least have valid points or you look like one yourself.

I didn't see that game. However, all of the times I've seen him play I've noticed at least 3 times not tracking or doing defensive work.

From what his past managers have said about him I would say it's fair to say he must be a cock, although a good attacking footballer. It's all good and well but if you leave your teammates in the lurch then you won't play in nearly all teams. It is that simple really

I hope it comes good to be honest because he's clearly a good player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    Didn't help that after scoring that class equaliser against Plymouth, he then didn't get on the pitch at all next game when team was poor.
    Agree, although there must be reasons behind that. We don't see the training that the coaches do
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Didn't help that after scoring that class equaliser against Plymouth, he then didn't get on the pitch at all next game when team was poor.
    Agree, although there must be reasons behind that. We don't see the training that the coaches do

I agree with your agree. Bowyer knows that Maddison would rip up this league in the same way Taylor did IF he were fit and up for it. Given his delayed start to the season, it's likely that he was playing fitness catch-up. The lack of game play time won't have helped that but, I think, the main problem seems to be attitude and work ethic. I wonder if Bowyer was up front with him before signing him as to his expectations. If not, big mistake. If he did, then it would seem that Marcus hasn't been true to himself.

Personally, I'm gutted that MM hasn't worked out. I'd love him to break bread with Bows but that seems uncharacteristic and, therefore, unlikely. Shame.

• Options
    Why are people writing him off already? He’s played under 10 games already and looked alright in those!
    I'm not writing off Maddison.

But you've only got to pay attention to Bowyer's comments last night ..... and particularly the way he said it, that something is amiss.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Fosu, Williams, Oztumer and Maddison. Flair players unable to be managed by Bowyer. 
    McGeady didn’t do well either, although that was more because he was a dreadful player!

Just lost his quick feet by 34 - and a bit past it for the high intensity game Bowyer expects from his players.

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer said: “Bringing in someone with his quality is going to add to the squad. Last season we played against them obviously on three occasions and he’s an exceptional player. He brings goals, he brings assists, he’s someone that can make something out of nothing.

I can't find the quote but I am sure Bowyer said about McGeady and Green that he wanted them in the summer but could bring them in now (last January) because we could now afford it?

He still played McGeady in every game he could.  I honestly think Bowyer wanted him.  I equally think that Bowyer didn't want Smith or Davies but they needed someone. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer said: “Bringing in someone with his quality is going to add to the squad. Last season we played against them obviously on three occasions and he’s an exceptional player. He brings goals, he brings assists, he’s someone that can make something out of nothing.

I can't find the quote but I am sure Bowyer said about McGeady and Green that he wanted them in the summer but could bring them in now (last January) because we could now afford it?

He still played McGeady in every game he could.  I honestly think Bowyer wanted him.  I equally think that Bowyer didn't want Smith or Davies but they needed someone. 

Bowyer had obviously played against McGeady at some point in his career and was no doubt impressed.
    Evidently hoped he could bring something extra to the squad.

The year before he signed for Charlton, McGeady had hit a rich vein of form for Sunderland in League One, with a string of goals and assists.
    Hugely influential player for them, even at 33 years of age.

Then he got injured. The following pre-season, there was a problem with his manager and banished from the squad; forced to train alone and play with the kids.
    Played barely any senior football between August and end of January.

He was available. We were under transfer embargo.
    Bowyer no doubt thought McGeady was creative and experienced - as good as we were likely to get on loan, on the last day of the transfer window.

Rocks up at The Valley, 34 years old and not match fit.
    International player, a Premier league player in his prime - and we signed him a year too late.

McGeady was bombed out under Parky. Lee Johnson comes in and restores him to the first team, and he's started regularly since then, a really nice cross for their winner on Saturday
  • Options
    Didn’t McGeady run the show at The Valley the season before, I thought Bow mentioned when he signed? 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:

Bowyer had obviously played against McGeady at some point in his career and was no doubt impressed.
    Evidently hoped he could bring something extra to the squad.

The year before he signed for Charlton, McGeady had hit a rich vein of form for Sunderland in League One, with a string of goals and assists.
    Hugely influential player for them, even at 33 years of age.

Then he got injured. The following pre-season, there was a problem with his manager and banished from the squad; forced to train alone and play with the kids.
    Played barely any senior football between August and end of January.

He was available. We were under transfer embargo.
    Bowyer no doubt thought McGeady was creative and experienced - as good as we were likely to get on loan, on the last day of the transfer window.

Rocks up at The Valley, 34 years old and not match fit.
    International player, a Premier league player in his prime - and we signed him a year too late.

McGeady was bombed out under Parky. Lee Johnson comes in and restores him to the first team, and he's started regularly since then, a really nice cross for their winner on Saturday
    McGeady wasn't bad for us but he wasn't Conor Gallagher either . League One is probably his level now .

He will join the likes of John Barnes or John Salako in that he was clearly past his best when he pitched up at the Valley but was competent rather than someone like Joe Ledley or Maurice Setters who were awful .

He would have been more fondly remembered had his shot at Birmingham snuck in .
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Maurice Setters! Now there’s a blast from the past more bow legged than Roy Rogers. ‘Close you legs Mo so you don’t get megged’ 

‘Oi they are closed’ 😁.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I see a vision.  A vision of the future.  It's emerging out of the mist.

Would you like fries with that on Make a GIF
  • Options
    this thread reminds me of Cat Stevens.....

It's not time to make a change
    Just relax, take it easy
    You're still young, that's your fault
    There's so much you have to know
    Find a girl, settle down
    If you want you can marry
    Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy
    I was once like you are now
    And I know that it's not easy
    To be calm when you've found
    Something going on
    But take your time, think a lot
    Think of everything you've got
    For you will still be here tomorrow
    But your dreams may not
    How can I try to explain?
    When I do he turns away again
    It's always been the same, same old story
    From the moment I could talk
    I was ordered to listen
    Now there's a way
    And I know that I have to go away
    I know I have to go
    It's not time to make a change
    Just relax, take it slowly
    You're still young, that's your fault
    There's so much you have to go through
    Find a girl, settle down
    If you want you can marry
    Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy
    All the times that I've cried
    Keeping all the things I knew inside
    It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
    If they were right I'd agree
    But it's them they know, not me
    Now there's a way
    And I know that I have to go away
    I know I have to go
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Maybe a coincidence but been noticeable how much more of a ‘working for each other’ team we’ve become since he’s come out the squad.

I suspect it’s not

Geezer will be playing for Blythe Spartans or someone within a couple of seasons. All the talent in the world but it's often what's between the ears that counts and something ain't right there with this lad. It's sad to see, but one 30 yarder is not enough.
  • Options
    Easy to forget that he actually grafted in those games against QPR and Hull out of lockdown because he didn't provide the big change we hoped for from the January signings. He was then poor against Reading and then put in work again against Birmingham and was very unlucky not to score and win us the game. He wasn't great at all and I don't miss him, but he wasn't as bad as some of what we brought in. Lol indeed.
    Fair enough, I personally thought he was very poor, quick look at the stat bank shows he got an average of 5.68. 
  • Options
    Maybe he needs a heart to heart chat with Tracey?
  • Options
    Maybe a coincidence but been noticeable how much more of a ‘working for each other’ team we’ve become since he’s come out the squad.

I suspect it’s not

Geezer will be playing Blythe Spartans or someone within a couple of seasons. All the talent in the world but it's often what's between the ears that count and something ain't right there with this lad. It's sad to see, but one 30 yarder is not enough.
    OR he will go to another L1 club which will accept his "foibles" and he'll be happier, and be a success
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Maddison is a player with top-end Championship pot - he was available on a free and and presumably accepted much lower wages than would have previously commanded due to the salary cap. In those circumstances, sounds like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Furthermore, I'm pretty certain that, after watching a highlights reel of his performances for Peterborough, pretty much anyone on here would have said "free transfer? Go get him!".

Can't believe the eagerness to chuck blame at Bowyer at the moment. It's boring and embarrassing. Is their any other job where you can exceed expectations for 2 and a half years and find your position under pressure after 2 months of under-performance?!

Yes, people who work in sales.

It probably explains why I have been sacked 20 times in my (miserable)career.
  • Options
    So the question is, does Bowyer try to cut his losses and move him on if things are not right, assuming things aren’t ok? I personally think he is a very good player and don’t necessarily agree that he has to be the all round midfielder if he is creating and scoring lots.maybe bowyer has finally got a player he can’t improve???
  • Options

I suspect it’s not

Geezer will be playing Blythe Spartans or someone within a couple of seasons. All the talent in the world but it's often what's between the ears that count and something ain't right there with this lad. It's sad to see, but one 30 yarder is not enough.
    OR he will go to another L1 club which will accept his "foibles" and he'll be happier, and be a success

If (and it is an if because nothing has been directly confirmed) things are as Bowyer appears to be hinting and Maddison has been faking or exaggerating injury/illness that's not just a foible like having a bit of an eccentric personality and not something I can see many clubs putting up with, and a player with an attitude like that is only going to see their career go in one direction.

I hope it's not the case, but my prediction is his career peaked at Peterborough and we've signed him too late and would be better off just letting him go as and when the opportunity arises. He's not played much but he's not done much to justify playing more.

Maybe it's not his fault, but we all know someone who's life just seems to be endlessly full of drama, seems to me like Maddison might just one of those people.