Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maddison

Comments

• Options
    Fosu, Williams, Oztumer and Maddison. Flair players unable to be managed by Bowyer. 
    Conor Gallagher, Joe Aribo, ahem, Lyle Taylor, Andrew Shinnie, and now Liam Miller. All flair players who flourish(ed) under Bowyer, but they all also work their bollocks off for the team. Anyone who listened to Liam Miller's post-match interview last night could not fail to be impressed by his attitude too. 
    Yes I agree. You can compare Taylor and Maddison, two flair players who I would regard to be quite stroppy. One like you say, works their bollocks off for the team. My issue is that Bowyer tracked Maddison for a year and knew what he was getting, now seems to be quite stroppy himself!

For the record, I'm Bowyer over Maddison. Really not sure the latter wants to be here at all and had little choice but to accept our offer. I'm just really confused as to why we signed him. 
    I constantly wonder if Bowyer thought he could turn Maddison around

Taylor didnt really need turning around as much prior to joining but Bowyer definitely improved him

Its the only reason I can think of

Either that or quite bluntly they've sat down and gone: "Well he's the only real option"
    That can be the only reason. Bowyer did improve Taylor's all round game, but he already had the desire to win football matches. Maddison doesn't have half that desire, but has so much quality on the ball. 

I don't buy that he was the only real option. I think that is true with someone like Bogle, but Bowyer wanted Maddison. The truth can only be that he thought he could change him and get him working harder. That's a risk and if that gamble doesn't pay off then some fault simply has to lay at Bowyer's door. 
  • Options
    Thoughts?

I'd say more Maddison doesn't like Bowyer. If you compare all this to Robbie Savage's 'top 10 tips to force a move' or get the manager out its almost as if he's following it step by step
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Good job Bowyer didn't manage years ago otherwise the country would never have seen the likes of George Best, Rodney Marsh or our very own Killer.
    There were plenty of managers who had a team ethic first and foremost coupled with an ‘it’s my way or the highway’ approach. Sir Alf Ramsay for one, no fancy Dan’s in his World Cup winning side. Brian Clough, Don Revie and Ron Saunders were others.

More closer to home, Lennie who had a difference of opinion with Colin Walsh and sent him to Middlesbrough and then back to Charlton when he got the managers job there. Curbs didn’t stand for any nonsense either and didn’t hesitate to make a player train with the youth team as a penance. 

Of course some adopted an arm round the shoulder approach and were good at signing misfits and turning their careers around. Joe Mercer and Harry Redknapp spring to mind especially with Di Caneo at West Ham. However the most overriding thing with all styles of football management is getting the players to pull in the same direction. If there’s one or two players not onboard with the managers requirements then it’s bye bye, best if you find another club where your particular skills fit.
    Dont forget the biggest of them all... Alex Ferguson!! - Jaap Stam, David Beckham are two that he ailenated and ended up leaving due to arguments that surely dont come close to how Bowyer has reacted to player performances
  • Options
    Bowyer clearly has issues with Maddison, which begs the question, "why bring him in, in the first place?" 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Maddison doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough on the pitch and, allegedly, off it.
    That’s a prerequisite for Bowyer, and I agree with him.
    He talked the other day about what a privileged position the players are in.
    Personally I like that we’ve got a manager with views like that, who clearly doesn’t want bad apples disrupting the squad or that work ethic.
    Work hard like Millar did last night, and you earn the right to do step overs. Don’t and you’re out.
    I’m more than happy with that philosophy. 
    .... and this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a shame this hasn't worked out; having seen how much damage he could do I really wanted Maddison to be given a chance but from those comments at the beginning of this thread there understandably appears to be no way back now. If that's the case, I'd imagine Bowyer would love to move him on to free up more wages within the cap but we only have a few days now and potential takers will be more wary than ever after his failing at successive clubs. Both Hull and Charlton could have given him a real platform but despite the exciting talent something's obviously not quite right. Thankfully creating and scoring isn't proving as much of a problem now, especially if Millar stays fit.
  • Options
    as others have said, I really do not understand why we were pursuing him in the first place?

after hearing what the Peterborough Chairman and manager had to say I was glad the deal didn't come off but we then went in for him again a few months later and now we have him.

Bowyer has always said he wants players to be fully committed to the cause, not shirking at any challenge, yet he and his scouts went for a bloke who has a terrible reputation when it comes to team work. it makes no sense to me whatsoever. 
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:
    It's a shame this hasn't worked out; having seen how much damage he could do I really wanted Maddison to be given a chance but from those comments at the beginning of this thread there understandably appears to be no way back now. If that's the case, I'd imagine Bowyer would love to move him on to free up more wages within the cap but we only have a few days now and potential takers will be more wary than ever after his failing at successive clubs. Both Hull and Charlton could have given him a real platform but despite the exciting talent something's obviously not quite right. Thankfully creating and scoring isn't proving as much of a problem now, especially if Millar stays fit.
    I think we were all praying that he would play well for us, but while football is a harsh business, there is always the opportunity for redemption. It is for him to decide what he wants to do. Fit in, or F off. Nobody else can do that for him. If he proves himself on the training ground he will get his chance. Fingers crossed 🤞 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MattF said:
    Bowyer clearly has issues with Maddison, which begs the question, "why bring him in, in the first place?" 
    Because maybe he didn't have issues with him before he signed him?

That may well be so, but I suspect there was doubts with his reputation.
    Perhaps Bowyer looked at the signing from a purely football reason.  Perhaps Maddison needs to be handled differently, he certainly looks a game changer.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Fosu, Williams, Oztumer and Maddison. Flair players unable to be managed by Bowyer. 
    McGeady didn’t do well either, although that was more because he was a dreadful player!
    He wasn't a dreadful player.

Proved he was very decent at top levels in his prime. 
    Just lost his quick feet by 34 - and a bit past it for the high intensity game Bowyer expects from his players.

He wasn't our 1st choice signing though, was he?
    You can thank ESI and the transfer embargo for that!

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Is their any other job where you can exceed expectations for 2 and a half years and find your position under pressure after 2 months of under-performance?!

Try being married to my wife , he’s had it fucking easy !
    Your wife's got to put up with 4 young boys and you.

God, she must be a saint! :smiley: