Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Tough game this but we always seem to beat Pompey. Has anyone got our record over the last few years? 
    I'd be tempted to leave the team as it is depending on fatigue and injury. I'd start Chuks instead of Stockley
  • This article has a look at our record against Portsmouth

https://www.castrust.org/2021/01/charlton-and-portsmouth-sleeping-giants/
  • Portsmouth have signed Exeter City goalkeeper Lewis Ward on loan until the end of the season.

They will be without defender Jack Whatmough for the next three games through suspension.

Whatmough had an appeal against his sending off in Tuesday's home defeat by Lincoln City rejected.

He was shown a straight red card for a foul on Jorge Grant in the first half and will miss the games against Charlton, Plymouth and Swindon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55845612

• Amos
    Matthews, Gunter, Oshilaja, Maatsen
    Pratley
    JFC, Shinnie
    Millar
    Aneke, Stockley 

He would be bonkers to change the back four for two reasons.  One, it kept a clean sheet during a time where we’ve been leaking goals, two, Gunter at CB worked wonders last time out against Portsmouth, unless of course someone can’t start due to quick fixture turnover.

Too soon for Watson, otherwise I reckon he would change one of the midfield for him, and Washington sounding like he’s out so two big men up top, so Millar will need to be on his game to get the service in.

I fancy us, 1-0 Stockley.
    Exactly the team I think he’ll go for.  Bit test I think because I don’t think we can afford to be start stop again.  The form has been poor over the last 15 games.  MK Dons was a positive, but we need to start showing we can turn the screw 
  • Portsmouth play 4-4-2. If we play two big lads up front I would match them and consider starting Millar to the right side so he can cross with his preferred right foot. That would match him up with Lee Brown who is their 30 yr old right footed left back. It would also wrong foot any plans they may have to containing him.
    We could then move to diamond or move him over to the left.
  • first clean sheet in ages and FA has changed 2 of the back 4 - why would bowyer do that ? been calling for purrington's stability for ages due to the central defence problems and guess,what,m we keep a clean sheet. i'd use martsen from the bench for this one.

amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    purrington

shinnie
    jfc
    morgan

millar

chucks
    stockley

williams, maatsen and the gunslinger on last 20 for fresh legs
  •                        Amos

Matthews | Gunter | Oshilaja  | Purrington

Miller | Shinnie | Forster-Caskey | Maatsen

Aneke | Schwartz 

3-1 
    Schwartz x2, JFC
  • castrust said:
    This article has a look at our record against Portsmouth

https://www.castrust.org/2021/01/charlton-and-portsmouth-sleeping-giants/
    Bizarre how bad their recent record is against us. Mirrors how bad we are against Millwall.

Fancy us for a 2-1 win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Great preview as ever, @ForeverAddickted

Bowyer seems to have found a way to play against Kenny Jackett’s Portsmouth and I think that will continue. Without Inniss and Famewo for a game like this it’s a real loss, but I believe we will still get through it.

Williams to come on and shine in the second half. That’s my prediction. He will put in a good performance that will force Bowyer into how/where we get him playing next week where he has a great week’s training.

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Oshilaja | Purrington
    Pratley
    Shinnie | F-Caskey
    Millar
    Aneke | Schwartz

Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Maatsen, Watson, Morgan, Williams, Stockley

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Portsmouth
    Schwartz
    Aneke
    This is the team I would go for . Wouldn't drop Pratley .
  • Amos
    Matthews, Gunter,Oshilaja,Maatsen
    Pratley
    JFC, Shinnie
    Millar
    Aneke, Stockley 

He would be bonkers to change the back four for two reasons.  One, it kept a clean sheet during a time where we’ve been leaking goals, two, Gunter at CB worked wonders last time out against Portsmouth, unless of course someone can’t start due to quick fixture turnover.

Too soon for Watson, otherwise I reckon he would change one of the midfield for him, and Washington sounding like he’s out so two big men up top, so Millar will need to be on his game to get the service in.

Yes i think this is most likely Lee's team, I like it, with Albie ready to come on, Shinnie is gradually building match fitness.

I'm sure we will not start with Williams and Millar any time soon, Pratley stiffens the midfield.

My concern is if Millar gets an injury, the whole energy/pace of the team drop's, so fingers crossed!
  • edited January 2021
    I think this has 4-4-2 diamond written all over it.

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Purrington
    Pratley
    Shinnie - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Schwartz - Aneke

One question I have is who will be our other striker alongside Stockley? 

Assume Bogle is still a part of our squad?
  • Just when we have a nice situation with the forwards, we suffer an injury! Just so typical with us. Whats the guessing Chuks will suffer his first of season soon, while the transfer window closes. 

Am actually looking forward to this game and expect a decent one.
  • mendonca said:
    Just when we have a nice situation with the forwards, we suffer an injury! Just so typical with us. Whats the guessing Chuks will suffer his first of season soon, while the transfer window closes. 

Am actually looking forward to this game and expect a decent one.
     Second he had a minor groin strain early doors.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Pratley
    Shinnie - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Schwartz - Aneke

I believe so but with Stockley coming in we have our 2 big men in him and Aneke
  • Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Pratley
    Shinnie - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Schwartz - Aneke

From his comments last weekend about having 4 strikers I don’t think Bogle features in LB’s plans.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Pratley
    Shinnie - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Schwartz - Aneke

From his comments last weekend about having 4 strikers I don’t think Bogle features in LB’s plans.
    He is off to donny this morning 
  • Yep so we now need to think about one of the kids getting a chance in the hard working running around a lot role.

Do we have a youth that can fit that role?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Yep so we now need to think about one of the kids getting a chance in the hard working running around a lot role.

Josh Davison but playing regularly out on loan is going to be better for his development.
  • Amos
    Matthews, Gunter, Oshilaja, Maatsen
    Pratley
    JFC, Shinnie
    Millar
    Aneke, Stockley 

This, apart from I would prefer to have Chuks on as the impact second
    half, still feel he works better then than as a starter, so if fit start with
    Washington, but he seems doubtful, so Schwartz and Stockley.
  • I am surprisingly confident about this game! Scares me........!!

Think we will 2-0 with Stockley bagging one and JFC the other.  
  • edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yep so we now need to think about one of the kids getting a chance in the hard working running around a lot role.

Josh Davison but playing regularly out on loan is going to be better for his development.
    Yeah I mean out of those we have with us still, not out on loan etc. 

I'm more thinking along the lines of Aouachria or Clayden?
  • At least these bums won't stink out the JS stand for once, but it's a difficult game so hopefully we'll get the brakes, 2-1 after a struggle. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Can't see it myself but other posters like bolloxbolder or Seth Plum who used to watch the youth would be better placed to comment.
  • I think we can make it three-in-a-row. Several players are overdue a goal. If we can get forward like we did against Swindon last Saturday, I think we can kill it off and win comfortably.
  • edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Can't see it myself but other posters like bolloxbolder or Seth Plum who used to watch the youth would be better placed to comment.
    Maybe all of the Lebanese posters on the clubs official pages might get their wish and see Ghandour involved in some squads as a forward option
  • I'd love to have a look at Aneke and Stockley together.
  • I think we can make it three-in-a-row. Several players are overdue a goal. If we can get forward like we did against Swindon last Saturday, I think we can kill it off and win comfortably.
    Well we drew with Swindon...