Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth
    Saturday 30th January 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Robert Madley (West Yorkshire)

Introduction
    Is there a changing of the wind in these parts? - Five points from the last four games is the very least that should be expected given the standard of the opposition of late but given our terrible form these last few months you could argue that stepping stones are being created towards something that could be construed as hope... A solid defensive display on Tuesday night would see the Addicks returning from Milton Keynes with all three points in what was the opposite from last Saturday.

We showed though against Bristol Rovers that this type of win is great if you can build upon it... If you dont take advantage of these positive moments (however small) then they become worthless - Fellow promotion challengers: Portsmouth visit on Saturday; Bowyer has said that the win on Tuesday will boost confidence, three more points on Saturday could do even greater for morale!!

The Opposition
    Name: Portsmouth (5th) | Manager: Kenny Jackett
    Ground: Fratton Park
    Previous Meeting: Portsmouth 0-2 Charlton Athletic

Portsmouth travel to South East London this Saturday knowing they dont have the best of records in these parts. Along with Middlesbrough they're one of two teams we've played the most in our existance, yet you have to go back to 2006 to find a Portsmouth win (even that, at the Valley has been a rarity), even worse for our opponents is the fact that Kenny Jackett has been unable to obtain even a point against his opposite number... Lets hope something doesnt change this Saturday come 5pm!!

As for this season its been a typical year in the third tier for Pompey, a slow start would see them in the relegation zone but for the most part they've had an impressive set of results that have only been punctured by the odd defeat (just like our own 2-0 win at Fratton Park in October) - Of late though, things have stuttered for our promotion rivals, they travel up the M3 this Saturday off the back of two defeats, both coming at home against Hull City and Lincoln City... The only bonus for their fans is the fact that Jack Whatmough is suspended this Saturday, having scored two own goals in the former and getting sent off in the latter, you could definitely argue he's NOT a player in form!!

Elsewhere though and Portsmouth continue to have the players that can hurt us... They've played two games less yet have only scored one goal fewer than ourselves and have a much tighter defence (although thats the case for much of the Division) - The five goals they've conceded these last two games are the first they've conceded since the 1st December, lets hope we're looking at another team who are set to go on a similar run to the one we've been on!!

Charlton Team News
    For once things are looking a little positive amongst the Charlton squad, especially with regards to injuries... With Alfie Doughty moving to sunny Stoke it means that the task of the physio has potentially been reduced slightly, I say potentially as Conor Washington is the latest to be absent with a problem, the Striker was replaced shortly after half-time and will go for a scan on his calf-injury at some point today.

It leaves him with Ryan Iniss and potentially James Vennings as our main absentees... Akin Famewo could potentially rejoin training today yet with Portsmouth visiting just days away it may well be worth leaving him a further week at the very least - Elsewhere and Ian Maatsen becomes available again after being rested on Tuesday night, whilst Paul Smyth has of course been recalled by his parent club.

Amos
    Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Maatsen
    Shinnie | Pratley | Forster-Caskey
    Millar
    Stockley | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Matthews | Purrington | Williams | Morgan | Schwartz | Bogle

Prediction
    As is always the case with Charlton, predicting any result is always an extremely difficult task to do...

Its even harder when a team that has mostly been in form come to town as based on previous results you'd believe that there can be only one outcome - The Addicks have become a bogey team for their opponents, and as we showed against Peterborough, the signs are there against a top team, we potentially just need the advantage of having a better pitch to achieve the goals we set for ourselves... One thing is for certain, with others having games in hand on us (Portsmouth have two), lets put the pressure right on them and make it even more important when those particular fixtures come round!!
    Matthews for Pearce, Morgan in somewhere too, for me 
    Thought Morgan was poor in his cameo on Tuesday. Plenty of chasing about but on the ball he didn’t stake a claim for me. Our mate Purrington did alright though 😉.
    Is that his first alright game for 14 months ? 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    RedChaser said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth
    Saturday 30th January 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Robert Madley (West Yorkshire)

Introduction
    Is there a changing of the wind in these parts? - Five points from the last four games is the very least that should be expected given the standard of the opposition of late but given our terrible form these last few months you could argue that stepping stones are being created towards something that could be construed as hope... A solid defensive display on Tuesday night would see the Addicks returning from Milton Keynes with all three points in what was the opposite from last Saturday.

We showed though against Bristol Rovers that this type of win is great if you can build upon it... If you dont take advantage of these positive moments (however small) then they become worthless - Fellow promotion challengers: Portsmouth visit on Saturday; Bowyer has said that the win on Tuesday will boost confidence, three more points on Saturday could do even greater for morale!!

The Opposition
    Name: Portsmouth (5th) | Manager: Kenny Jackett
    Ground: Fratton Park
    Previous Meeting: Portsmouth 0-2 Charlton Athletic

Portsmouth travel to South East London this Saturday knowing they dont have the best of records in these parts. Along with Middlesbrough they're one of two teams we've played the most in our existance, yet you have to go back to 2006 to find a Portsmouth win (even that, at the Valley has been a rarity), even worse for our opponents is the fact that Kenny Jackett has been unable to obtain even a point against his opposite number... Lets hope something doesnt change this Saturday come 5pm!!

As for this season its been a typical year in the third tier for Pompey, a slow start would see them in the relegation zone but for the most part they've had an impressive set of results that have only been punctured by the odd defeat (just like our own 2-0 win at Fratton Park in October) - Of late though, things have stuttered for our promotion rivals, they travel up the M3 this Saturday off the back of two defeats, both coming at home against Hull City and Lincoln City... The only bonus for their fans is the fact that Jack Whatmough is suspended this Saturday, having scored two own goals in the former and getting sent off in the latter, you could definitely argue he's NOT a player in form!!

Elsewhere though and Portsmouth continue to have the players that can hurt us... They've played two games less yet have only scored one goal fewer than ourselves and have a much tighter defence (although thats the case for much of the Division) - The five goals they've conceded these last two games are the first they've conceded since the 1st December, lets hope we're looking at another team who are set to go on a similar run to the one we've been on!!

Charlton Team News
    For once things are looking a little positive amongst the Charlton squad, especially with regards to injuries... With Alfie Doughty moving to sunny Stoke it means that the task of the physio has potentially been reduced slightly, I say potentially as Conor Washington is the latest to be absent with a problem, the Striker was replaced shortly after half-time and will go for a scan on his calf-injury at some point today.

It leaves him with Ryan Iniss and potentially James Vennings as our main absentees... Akin Famewo could potentially rejoin training today yet with Portsmouth visiting just days away it may well be worth leaving him a further week at the very least - Elsewhere and Ian Maatsen becomes available again after being rested on Tuesday night, whilst Paul Smyth has of course been recalled by his parent club.

Amos
    Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Maatsen
    Shinnie | Pratley | Forster-Caskey
    Millar
    Stockley | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Matthews | Purrington | Williams | Morgan | Schwartz | Bogle

Prediction
    As is always the case with Charlton, predicting any result is always an extremely difficult task to do...

Its even harder when a team that has mostly been in form come to town as based on previous results you'd believe that there can be only one outcome - The Addicks have become a bogey team for their opponents, and as we showed against Peterborough, the signs are there against a top team, we potentially just need the advantage of having a better pitch to achieve the goals we set for ourselves... One thing is for certain, with others having games in hand on us (Portsmouth have two), lets put the pressure right on them and make it even more important when those particular fixtures come round!!
    Matthews for Pearce, Morgan in somewhere too, for me 
    Thought Morgan was poor in his cameo on Tuesday. Plenty of chasing about but on the ball he didn’t stake a claim for me. Our mate Purrington did alright though 😉.
    Is that his first alright game for 14 months ? 
    As I’ve said before I’m not his biggest fan but you have to give credit when it’s due and I think you just might have 😉.
  • Options
    Maartsen ahead of  Purrington every time for me, Purr'n never stops his winger getting his cross in.

Maartsen far more mobile & technical, which for me outways his habit of occasionally being out of position.
  • Options
    I think we will win this one. Hopefully we stay positive and get a 3-1 victory
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It is nearly a must win game. By the end of February, teams will have caught up with us games wise and we need to win three of our next four at least to stay up in the mix where we are. I would say tomorrow should be the hardest of the four, but that doesn't mean much to us going by what has happened so far.
  • Options
    lets do this - emphatic 3-0
  • Options
    Why do people struggle so much?

It's Maatsen not Maartsen or Martsen or Matson or Maartson etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I thought it was Merson....
  • Options
    I'd love to have a look at Aneke and Stockley together.
    A couple of nights ago, Curbs said exactly that to Scott Minto.

• Options
    2-0 Charlton
  • Options
    Looks like it's going to be a foul day - a lot of rain this morning & rain from early on tomorrow. Don't think it will turn to snow but enough to get the game abandoned....??

Also looks like we will be going into the game with a striker light - having left Bogle go we then find Washington will be missing with a calf injury. I then expect either Schwartz or Aneke to pull up during the game leaving us shot shy up front. 

Pompey to win 3-1
    I doubt it will be abandoned. The drainage on our pitch has only recently been updated. A modern football pitch is very wasteful of water as long as it has somewhere to go. The Valley's ability to absorb water is much more than the park or a lawn.
  • Options
    Looks like it's going to be a foul day - a lot of rain this morning & rain from early on tomorrow. Don't think it will turn to snow but enough to get the game abandoned....??

Also looks like we will be going into the game with a striker light - having left Bogle go we then find Washington will be missing with a calf injury. I then expect either Schwartz or Aneke to pull up during the game leaving us shot shy up front. 

Pompey to win 3-1
    I doubt it will be abandoned. The drainage on our pitch has only recently been updated. A modern football pitch is very wasteful of water as long as it has somewhere to go. The Valley's ability to absorb water is much more than the park or a lawn.
    Have we plugged it in though? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Marsden - As curbs says
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

Marsden - As curbs says
    And don’t forget Jackson in midfield for MK, I mean that’s close enough to Fraser 🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    Marsden and Schwartzer according to Curbs and Brown!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Marsden - As curbs says

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Marsden - As curbs says
    Nice pint. 😉
  • Options
    Everyone on here is confident of the win tomorrow, we are Pompeys bogey side so therefore im going 2-1 Pompey but hope for a comfortable 2-0 home win🤞
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Marsden - As curbs says
    “Schwartwer...”
  • Options
    As others have pointed out this is a tough game and our recent record against top 6 sides ia not good. Pompey have a good away record against the top 6 and they are surely due a win against us. We still do not look convincing, 1-0 to Portsmouth.
  • Options
    As others have pointed out this is a tough game and our recent record against top 6 sides ia not good. Pompey have a good away record against the top 6 and they are surely due a win against us. We still do not look convincing, 1-0 to Portsmouth.
    By the same token, surely we are due a home win? 

We haven't won at home since beating Wimbledon 5-2 in the early part of December.
    As I said, "surely we are due a home win?"

Anyway, I'm a Charlton fan and I hope we win!

• Options
    edited January 2021

Pompey to win 3-1
    That’s the spirit golfy.🤨
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

It’s been like that ever since Ventokele arrived mate. Frustrating.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Blimey I've started a tsunami of posts here with my misspelling.
    So sorry it won't be happen again. 
    That's what  somebody posted yesterday but I'm not saying that.

Do me a favour Dazzler mate, just let it bounce off you if it happens again cos it probably will.
    Because age is catching up with me.