Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    Nadou said:
    More data that is spotted as wrong = more ammunition for vaccine sceptics. Surely no one wants that.
    If the data from further testing shows that it's a couple of percent less effective you can't withhold that information - imagine vaccination sceptics response if that was happening.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited March 2021
    To clarify. The US news report said they had been presented with old data and that was subsequently corrected. That was the balls up. 
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    More data that is spotted as wrong = more ammunition for vaccine sceptics. Surely no one wants that.
    If the data from further testing shows that it's a couple of percent less effective you can't withhold that information - imagine vaccination sceptics response if that was happening.
    I absolutely agree. My point is that AZ have been precipitous in publishing data that shortly afterwards has to be readjusted. This started way back when they made the announcement of the first figures for efficacy, using incorrectly conflated figures. Like the UK Government last year, they gave over-optimistic information and then had to retract. The Government has learned its lesson and is tending to be more cautious. Drug companies should do the same.
  • Options
    @cantersaddick "It just didnt include some of the latest testing". You say potayto, I say potarto.
  • Options
    The fault was with AstraZeneca. They reported outdated information from their trials in the US. The US told them about this and they corrected it. 
  • Options
    Why LOL that?! The news article wasn’t downplaying the effectiveness of the AstraZeneca vaccine but it did say this wasn’t helping the company’s stock as it was already facing scepticism in Europe. The US were hoping for a quick approval of the vaccine to add a 4th vaccine to their rollout but the outdated information is slowing the process. That was the crux of the report. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You do have to question though why the AZ numbers are changing. For example both Pfizer and Moderna have basically stuck with their same figures since their trials. Essentially 94/95% efficacy. Why the movement from AstraZeneca. I think that is what is bringing in the scepticism. 

• Options
    Rob said:
    You do have to question though why the AZ numbers are changing. For example both Pfizer and Moderna have basically stuck with their same figures since their trials. Essentially 94/95% efficacy. Why the movement from AstraZeneca. I think that is what is bringing in the scepticism. 

As this has been the most widely used?
  • Options
    Anyone think we’re going to need a booster jab in the Autumn or Winter time , to cove any new variants that may arise?
  • Options
    Anyone think we’re going to need a booster jab in the Autumn or Winter time , to cove any new variants that may arise?
    I think that is more than likely.
  • Options
    I think that’s likely if the virus develops that way, if not we’ll just be starting again in the new year with an annual jab
  • Options
    following my jab yesterday morning, I couldn’t even get out of bed this morning to take the kids nursery. Proper flu like aches where even the tips of your fingers ache. It started last nite but worse much worse today. Took paracetamol and lots of water and gradually felt better. Feel absolutely fine now! No pain in my arm either which seems the most common side effect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My sis (50) had hers on Monday morning and felt awful in the evening. High temp, shivery and achey. Was fine by the morning.
  • Options
    Any lifers had their second Astrazeneca jab yet? Just interested if there were any side effects? Thanks 
  • Options
    IMPORTANT !!!
    If anyone had an appointment in April for their 2nd PFizer jab at the following 
    Alexandra Suite, Swanley  (10,11,13,14,16,17th)
    Dartford FC  (9,10,13,14,16,17th)
    Fleet Health Campus  (2,3,4,5,7,8th)

and hasn't been contacted (like me !), check    https://www.facebook.com/DgshealthGPfed/     for how to make a new date.

• Options
    Any lifers had their second Astrazeneca jab yet? Just interested if there were any side effects? Thanks 
    Having mine tomorrow so will keep you posted 
  • Options
    Having mine tomorrow so will keep you posted 
    Thanks cafcdave... much appreciated on that as I had zero side effects with the first jab whereas my poor missus had the lot! 
  • Options
    There's a lot wrong with some of the stuff that's been thrown around in yhe past few hours. What it boils down to is - once again - some peoples' inability to distinguish between BAD SCIENCE and BAD JOURNALISM, and a lack of understanding of what the scientific method actually *is*. 

This is, again, because people think that science 'solves' things. It doesn't - it continually evaluates and re-evaluates based on data. As the dataset gets larger, statistics become firmer, a conclusion becomes more empirical and - eventually - a consensus is formed. Its this childish modern need for instant gratification on all things that doesn't enable people to see beyond IT'S A CURE! or SCIENCE HAS FAILED US! - and the media is, as usual, almost entirely to blame for it. 

I say potato, you say... Well, whatever the hell you want to say, because you don't understand that science doesn't care what I say, what you say or what anyone else says.

There's an excellent book about this subject called 'The Geek Manifesto'. It's worth a read. 
    If you really think that's what I'm doing, go ahead and misunderstand and keep coming on as a pompous git.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    There's a lot wrong with some of the stuff that's been thrown around in yhe past few hours. What it boils down to is - once again - some peoples' inability to distinguish between BAD SCIENCE and BAD JOURNALISM, and a lack of understanding of what the scientific method actually *is*. 

This is, again, because people think that science 'solves' things. It doesn't - it continually evaluates and re-evaluates based on data. As the dataset gets larger, statistics become firmer, a conclusion becomes more empirical and - eventually - a consensus is formed. Its this childish modern need for instant gratification on all things that doesn't enable people to see beyond IT'S A CURE! or SCIENCE HAS FAILED US! - and the media is, as usual, almost entirely to blame for it. 

I say potato, you say... Well, whatever the hell you want to say, because you don't understand that science doesn't care what I say, what you say or what anyone else says.

There's an excellent book about this subject called 'The Geek Manifesto'. It's worth a read. 
    If you really think that's what I'm doing, go ahead and misunderstand and keep coming on as a pompous git.
    How is anything I've put 'pompous'? That post basically highlights the fallacies in your (and others) argument, gives a pretty frank explanation of why they're fallacious, and then goes on to give a reason for these spurious claims (media stupidity)

You can't just claim I'm a 'pompous git' by explaining something to you FFS 🤣

It's the same as sulking when someone explains why you're wrong about something, and then resorting to abuse, rather than continuing to argue your point. Take a look back through the thread - it isn't just me telling you this... 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    2nd Pfizer jab today. No side effects as yet. My wife had 1st AZ jab 2 weeks ago, couldn’t get out of bed for four days and still has chest and lung pain side effects
  • Options
    First jab yesterday afternoon at The Valley, excitingly - very strange having it done in Crossbars and then leaving as if I'd just been to a match. Got the text in the morning, in and out with no fuss. And got my sticker.

Squeezed it in just before work, felt a bit dozy after but managed to get a shift done.

Overnight and today the side effects have hit me like a train - like the aftermath of a flu jab but 10 times stronger. Was really rough this afternoon but slowly feeling better this evening. 

Better than being on a ventilator. Roll on jab 2....
    Where's the Scarfie photo?  ;)
  • Options
    Rob said:

Ffs. As data increases the numbers change. It’s really simple. Do you really think that numbers have remained static from phase 3 trials or that after millions of vaccinations they might need a tweak based on the real world data.
    Maybe because it wasn’t tested adequately in the first place and they’re tweaking the numbers as more data is coming in. Being medical/health related I can understand the uneasiness here. And I would have thought you could understand that having worked in the medical field yourself. It’s really simple. 

Incidentally, my opinion is that the AZ vaccination is more than adequate but there seems to be a common theme of scepticism both in Europe and now in the US. I wonder why that is!

So I’ve had a Lol and a Ffs today from 2 people who obviously know a lot more about this than me so I’m going to leave it at that.