Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are We Getting Promoted This Season?

Comments

• Options
    We have the toughest run in by far , but NA has instilled confidence in the team . Three wins are required and I can see us needing something from the Hull game to secure our place in the play-offs .
  • Options
    I'd take the table as it is now, Sunderland over 2 legs and the 2nd leg being away should phase us at all
  • Options
    I'd take the table as it is now, Sunderland over 2 legs and the 2nd leg being away should phase us at all
    Would definitely prefer them in the semis rather than the final
  • Options
    If I'm being honest this has all the feels of Bowyer's start with us. 

If we don't get promoted, it's still been an incredible turn around in desire and effort from the players. 10 games unbeaten, you have to go back to Feb 2019 to beat that and even then it was 11.
  • Options
    You’re right. Considering our overall form this season, it would actually be better to play the 2nd leg away if we make the play offs. Complete opposite to how you’d usually want those 2 legs played. 
  • Options
    It’s quite incredible how poor Accrington and Doncaster have been in the last 6 weeks or so. At one point, I think they had 4 games in hand each on us. Doncaster in particular, I think, could have been 12 points or something clear of us if they’d won those games in hand. 
    The size of the Accrington squad made me believe that they could never keep their run of form going - Doncaster I think we've been aided by Sheffield Wednesday with them taking Moore.

Ben Whiteman to Preston must have been another big loss for them
    Doncaster actually started their poor run in the five games before Moore left when they only picked up one point. On change of Manager, they won their next two games but then endured another run of games that has amounted to one win in eleven. Moore probably saw that the writing was on the wall and that he had taken them as far as they were capable of going this season and jumped ship at the right time albeit that he will, almost certainly after a run of just 11 points in 11 games under him, be managing in League 1 again next season.

• Options
    Would definitely prefer them in the semis rather than the final
    Sunderland have been very consistent and difficult to beat. On that basis I’d rather meet them over one game than two. Consistency has not been our strong suit this season. Look at the Ipswich and Plymouth performances.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    how many times in recent years have we played the champions last game of the season and have we won any?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A long way to go still. We have to stay in the top six, which is, by no means, certain. Then, it's the play-offs. Play-offs are full of surprises and don't always go with form. I still remember how one bad tackle by Llera against Swindon lost us that game when, I felt, we were sure to win. Have a look what the bookmakers say. I suspect they are not far out.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    how many times in recent years have we played the champions last game of the season, when we have been the form team in the divison and have we won any?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see Sunderland and Lincoln changing places and us and Blackpool doing the same, so when we make the playoffs, it could be Sunderland in the semis, i think that the winner of that tie, should it happen will win the final.
    I am sure Sunderland will not relish another playoff appearance involving us.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    how many times in recent years have we played the champions last game of the season and have we won any?

Lost to:

Brighton
    Bournemouth 
    Burnley 
    Leeds

First 3 all at home. Probably more but they are the ones at the forefront of my mind whenever I now look at the fixture list in July. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Lost to:

Brighton
    Bournemouth 
    Burnley 
    Leeds

First 3 all at home. Probably more but they are the ones at the forefront of my mind whenever I now look at the fixture list in July. 

We even lost to Ipswich when WE were champions!
  • Options
    The great thing when you are in form is that you don't care who you play. It is all a bonus for us to enjoy and let the other teams worry about playing us. 
  • Options
    Dont remember us playing Brighton on the last day of a season?
  • Options
    I don’t think we did. Sure that was one of the years we had Hartlepool fancy dress visit us. 
  • Options
    I don’t think we did. Sure that was one of the years we had Hartlepool fancy dress visit us. 
    Yep
  • Options
    Dont want anything to do with sunderland in the semis but at wembley ill take sunderland 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    One thing that was significant about yesterday was the fact that we are in the top 6 on PPG. I know it was in our own hands before it but we haven't been genuinely (by that I mean factoring in games played) top 6 for ages. Does anybody know the last time we were there?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    One thing that was significant about yesterday was the fact that we are in the top 6 on PPG. I know it was in our own hands before it but we haven't been genuinely (by that I mean factoring in games played) top 6 for ages. Does anybody know the last time we were there?
    We were sixth after beating Bristol Rovers, positions in yellow highlight when we've been in a Play-Off position this season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#Result_summary
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we have been 6th recently, but I mean PPG 6th.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    According to @Dazzler21 's work on the PPG thread, last update that had us top 6 on PPG was on December 19th. Game 17, a 2-2 draw with Swindon. Our true position was 7th but we had games in hand at that point.
  • Options
    December 19th was over four months ago. It is a significant moment and hopefully the form that has achieved it will continue. We seem to have a fully fit squad and managed to turn a difficult away game into what looked like a brilliant team building exercise.
  • Options
    We were sixth after beating Bristol Rovers, positions in yellow highlight when we've been in a Play-Off position this season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#Result_summary
    It's crazy that we haven't been in the bottom half of the table for so long. Think it shows that you don't have to be a good side to finish top half. There's a massive gap of quality in the league. 
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, I think we can do it
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Redhenry said:

Lost to:

Brighton
    Bournemouth 
    Burnley 
    Leeds

Difference this time is, with a fully fit squad and functional game plan, we are arguably as good as Hull and maybe better. Would anyone swap Stockley or Aneke for Magennis, for example? I wouldn't. Last year, and proven this season, Leeds were clearly a class or two above us in terms of quality. 

League 1 is pretty even this year as we have all observed. Had Adkins been manager all season, and had we had better 'luck' with injuries - and probably it's not luck and those two matters are linked - I suspect the Hull game would have been a winner takes all for the title or promotion. 
  • Options
    dickad1 said:
    Redhenry said:

Lost to:

Brighton
    Bournemouth 
    Burnley 
    Leeds

Difference this time is, with a fully fit squad and functional game plan, we are arguably as good as Hull and maybe better. Would anyone swap Stockley or Aneke for Magennis, for example? I wouldn't. Last year, and proven this season, Leeds were clearly a class or two above us in terms of quality. 

League 1 is pretty even this year as we have all observed. Had Adkins been manager all season, and had we had better 'luck' with injuries - and probably it's not luck and those two matters are linked - I suspect the Hull game would have been a winner takes all for the title or promotion. 
    I agree mate. We have been saying all season that this squad should be automatic promotion from this league. Fortunately it looks like we may get a second chance via the playoffs but imo it shouldnt have come to that
  • Options
    It’s a really poor league, we’re really not that much worse than Hull. They’ve just been a bit more solid so have been able to turn draws into wins and losses into draws. 

There’s not one team I look at and fear playing. That’s not to say we’re brilliant, it’s just everyone is pretty evenly matched. If we win against the posh then we’re almost certainly getting in the play-offs. 

Looking at other top 6 clubs fan forums, nobody seems to rate us. They’re all preoccupied worrying about each other. We go into the playoffs simultaneously being the inform side and the underdogs.