Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diallang Jaiyesimi - page 17 Joins Wimbledon on loan

Comments

• Options
    @Dave Rudd for some reason, I get the impression that you’re not quite convinced on DJ… 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sage said:
    @Dave Rudd for some reason, I get the impression that you’re not quite convinced on DJ… 
    I'd love to be wrong.  But it took me 10 minutes to work him out.

Woeful.  And we have him for another three years.

Also, I will say what Adkins is too diplomatic to say:

"Mornin', everyone.  Troost you all slept well.  That Jaiyesimi is shit, isn't he?  Hey ho.  The sun is shinin'."

• Options
    Sage said:
    I get what you’re saying but let’s have a differing view on the flip side. I think he’s very coachable and can improve.

He’s strong for a wide man who is relatively small. He is actually very good with his back to goal, although it’s not something that we need or want him to do much. He needs more confidence and to whip in crosses when he gets half a yard rather than taking another touch and the chance goes, but that’s something he can improve on. 

He needs to work harder when out of possession, covering his full back more than he does, but again that is something that he can learn.

He has played in a midfield that has changed constantly and for much of the time has only had one striker to aim for and work with. There has been no movement in front of him or around him to create or do anything with. For much of the time he played with an immobile striker who won’t stretch a defence in the way DJ needs to be able to thrive.

I thought he was excellent against Crewe and seemed right up for it from the beginning. It’s interesting that the one time we played with 2 up front and DJ out wide, he done well. Washington’s movement helped him perform. I was hoping he would kick on, it hasn’t quite happened as he was really quite poor against Cheltenham. We haven’t seen him since.

One thing I don’t understand much is that we don’t swap our wingers anymore. If it’s not quite working on the right, try him out on the left for 10 minutes. He might get more joy that way.

He only turned 23 in May. Before last season he had never played above League Two. I think there is a player in there, he just needs the right coaching to bring it out and put it together and he could do well. That’s the big challenge for him now. 
    Here's my flip side.

He is ponderous.  Maybe even overweight for his height.

He has very few tricks.  The stepover, I suppose ... but it achieves very little ... apart from delaying the next piece of ineptitude.

He is not bright enough to go looking for the ball when the game is passing him by (and that might explain why he doesn't switch wings).

His crossing is poor ... although I will conceded that this observation is based on limited data as he had produced about three crosses all season.

He looks like he can't actually kick a ball.

And he is a cheat.  He doesn't make himself available to receive a pass because, if you do nothing, well ... you haven't made any mistakes, have you?

We can all improve.  He might get to Dulwich Hamlet level.
  • Options
    I like him but like most wide players he can spend games doing very little .  I was very sceptical when it looked like we wanted to play with 2 out and out wingers - it rarely works unless you have midfielders and full backs that can give them plenty of the ball.  We have neither of those things .
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Sage said:
    I get what you’re saying but let’s have a differing view on the flip side. I think he’s very coachable and can improve.

He’s strong for a wide man who is relatively small. He is actually very good with his back to goal, although it’s not something that we need or want him to do much. He needs more confidence and to whip in crosses when he gets half a yard rather than taking another touch and the chance goes, but that’s something he can improve on. 

He needs to work harder when out of possession, covering his full back more than he does, but again that is something that he can learn.

He has played in a midfield that has changed constantly and for much of the time has only had one striker to aim for and work with. There has been no movement in front of him or around him to create or do anything with. For much of the time he played with an immobile striker who won’t stretch a defence in the way DJ needs to be able to thrive.

I thought he was excellent against Crewe and seemed right up for it from the beginning. It’s interesting that the one time we played with 2 up front and DJ out wide, he done well. Washington’s movement helped him perform. I was hoping he would kick on, it hasn’t quite happened as he was really quite poor against Cheltenham. We haven’t seen him since.

One thing I don’t understand much is that we don’t swap our wingers anymore. If it’s not quite working on the right, try him out on the left for 10 minutes. He might get more joy that way.

He only turned 23 in May. Before last season he had never played above League Two. I think there is a player in there, he just needs the right coaching to bring it out and put it together and he could do well. That’s the big challenge for him now. 
    Here's my flip side.

He has very few tricks.  The stepover, I suppose ... but it achieves very little ... apart from delaying the next piece of ineptitude.

He is not bright enough to go looking for the ball when the game is passing him by (and that might explain why he doesn't switch wings).

His crossing is poor ... although I will conceded that this observation is based on limited data as he had produced about three crosses all season.

And he is a cheat.  He doesn't make himself available to receive a pass because, if you do nothing, well ... you haven't made any mistakes, have you?

Yeah - but other than that?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Needs to improve on the defensive side of the game BUT he finished last season strongly & was MoM this season against both MK Dons & Crewe.

Im sure we'll see him involved again soon. Good player at this level and young enough to improve.

• Options
    Needs to improve on the defensive side of the game BUT he finished last season strongly & was MoM this season against both MK Dons & Crewe.

Im sure we'll see him involved again soon. Good player at this level and young enough to improve.

With the money we spent on DJ & Kirk both will come back into the side at some point this season. Happily admit that DJ was my pick to win POTY, not sure why it hasn’t worked out. Still 30+ games left to come back and to make an impact 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The alarm bells ring for me when I see supposed wingers, always running backwards towards the man in possession. DJ and Kirk do this.

They should be running behind or into space. To me this is taking the easy option,  a bit like kane dropping deep for the Spuds.
  • Options
    When playing for Swindon and Crewe DJ and Kirk received the ball facing the opponent’s goal we never get the ball out to them quick enough so by the time we feed to them they’ve been closed down and so have to turn and then receive it facing the wrong way.
  • Options
    Both DJ and Kirk were signed based on this fabled new Black Box analytics approach... so far for whatever reason this algorithm doesn't seem to be very good as almost every signing has been a flop. Time will tell.

DJ has the raw ability but needs a coach to be able to develop him to an acceptable level. The first major area is to get him fitter / working harder both with and without the ball.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    like most of our signings, looks like world beaters when playing against us or for their previous clubs

we soon drill that out of them
  • Options
    Sage said:

he didn't have a good game against crewe but the goal somehow got him motm - he's got something - he can be explosive but everything he does is more by luck than judgement in my opinion and he will prove a bad signing - hope i'm wrong   
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Both DJ and Kirk were signed based on this fabled new Black Box analytics approach... so far for whatever reason this algorithm doesn't seem to be very good as almost every signing has been a flop. Time will tell.

DJ has the raw ability but needs a coach to be able to develop him to an acceptable level. The first major area is to get him fitter / working harder both with and without the ball.
    It's interesting that the most effective of the 3 out and out wingers we've signed is CBT, who was signed via the far more old school method of having him down for a trial and seeing him close up for a few weeks

Obviously you can't do that with players you bring in from other clubs, but it does make you wonder how good our algorithm is in predicting how well potential signings fit in with the rest of the team
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

It's interesting that the most effective of the 3 out and out wingers we've signed is CBT, who was signed via the far more old school method of having him down for a trial and seeing him close up for a few weeks

Obviously you can't do that with players you bring in from other clubs, but it does make you wonder how good our algorithm is in predicting how well potential signings fit in with the rest of the team
    was DJ pre or post 'black box' ??
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Maccn05 said:

was DJ pre or post 'black box' ??
    DJ got signed after both Roddy and Sandgaard arrived so potentially.
  • Options
    Roddy joined in October and then DJ signed in February. Not sure if the 'Black Box' was set up by then... But DJ had already made an impression when he tore Maatsen a new one in the game against us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure an interview last week said he was the first signing from the data based approach as it wasn't really ready for the full window... I might be wrong on that though.

But I don't know how this black box doesn't tell you what we've all seen from Kirk (in terms of his style suiting the team) and why when the stated criteria is young and energetic it filters down to Arter & Soure. 

In all honestly it feels like the Black Box is a load of PR bollocks to make them sound cleverer than they are.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Being slightly unfairly scapegoated imo - the vast majority of our problems this season have come down to central midfield and central midfield alone 
    And the full backs for defensively and for not providing the CB's with an outlet.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It's funny how, in January when it was first turned on, the black box chucked out a load of wingers, despite the manager at the time generally not using them out of choice.

It's almost like the back box was rather insistant what type of formation we would play. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Sage said:

Here's my flip side.

Way OTT. Sounds like a vendetta. 

Which bit is wrong?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Both DJ and Kirk will be good signings, DJ was great at the back end of last season, and Kirk is going to be a decent player once he settles. 
     Umm ... no he wasn't.

Dreamland.
  • Options
    I’ve seen every game DJ has played, apart from Crewe, and the only time I’ve been impressed was the first half against MK Dons. They brought on 63 year old Dean Lewington for the second half and DJ didn’t do a thing after that.

Pre season, people were going on about how a front three of him, Washington & Stockley would tear this league apart. That would always make me laugh.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!