Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away game been to watching Charlton

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Sheffield United away in the cup. My hope is to see Charlton in a cup final and Europe in my lifetime, would amazing if I could see that whilst my dad is alive.

Pathetic showing throughout, Harriot miss and the collapse after the first goal. Never felt so angry and disappointed in my life. Made 100% worst when Wigan beat City whilst in the car back south.

To do this day I can remember people saying they would accept defeat in the quarter final as long as we stay up (we were 24th in the championship with 4 games in hand). Since then we’ve done 4 seasons in league one. 

4 QF defeats I have seen now in my Charlton history.

1) Sheffield United
    2) Dagenham 
    3) Millwall 4-0
    4) Northampton 2-1 defeat
    5) Cardiff away in September 2015. Knew we were going to be relegated that season after that showing.
  • Options
    Huddersfield last year was dire. A loooong drive, freezing bloody cold and a shamefully inept performance. We left after the third, so at least missed the fourth.
  • Options
    Colchester cup game and Millwall 4-0 stick in the mind. A limp 1-0 defeat at Carlisle is always a special journey too.

Worst one though was away to West Brom in 95. On a minibus with other Medway Branch supporters and the poxy thing broke down on the motorway. Got going again about 4 times before finally dying on its arse. Never made the game which we lost 1-0 anyway. 

• Options
    My roll call of bad away games is FAR longer than my roll call of good away games! Just limiting it to 5 (so excluding defeats at the likes of Oldham, Stevenage, Colchester, Northampton)

1978, my very first game full stop. Taken by the Cubs to watch Orient vs Charlton. Abandoned at HT due to a waterlogged pitch when it was nil nil
    2007 Operation Ewood
    2015 Watford 5-0
    2016 Hull 6-0
    2020 Huddersfield 4-0
  • Options
    4-0 in their cup final and then being locked in for an hour.
    Close thread. In a league of its own.

Shit game, team hammered, locked in, agg in my local. Coinciding with other stresses at the time I was literally on a mental downer for weeks afterwards and I’ve swerved every game there since to avoid additional misery in my life!
    personally that wins it, main reason is that you couldn't even leave. not even at FT.
    As the fourth goal went in and another 'let em come..' started up from the speakers above i was ready to throw myself off the second tier.

to this day i still think that the club owes us fans who attended that "match". 
  • Options
    every game against Gillingham away.
  • Options

Shit game, team hammered, locked in, agg in my local. Coinciding with other stresses at the time I was literally on a mental downer for weeks afterwards and I’ve swerved every game there since to avoid additional misery in my life!
    personally that wins it, main reason is that you couldn't even leave. not even at FT.
    As the fourth goal went in and another 'let em come..' started up from the speakers above i was ready to throw myself off the second tier.

Walked out at 2-0, amazingly didn't get locked in, and was waiting in the pub for ages for people. 
  • Options
    And I think an honourable mention to the 5-0 tonking at West Ham on Boxing Day 2000
  • Options
    The most pissed off I've been at an away game was the FA cup quarter final against Sheff Utd.
    If only Harriott didnt miss that open goal at 0-0. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Millwall 2 - 1 Charlton. Solly sent off for the ball hitting him in face... was nearly the perfect snatch and grab and then the last 10 mins happened. The worst just because of how gutting it was
    He literally had a nosebleed from the ball hitting him, bizarre call from the ref. Then hendo saved the pen!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Colchester and Sheff Utd in cup both getting rightfully brought up, shocking days.

More recently however, an honourable mention for Preston last season, a whole load of us delayed on the train to the point we almost abandoned at Crewe as they were at home, a last minute scramble for cabs to the ground, running across the car park as we score and missing the goal, get to watch them equalise and then a Patrick B winner to add salt into the wounds.

A pretty miserable walk back to the station being taunted by local Herbert's,  a few warm fosters in a pub nearby,(all they had as it was closing for good the following Monday) it was a dump, then even more delays and a very late arrival back into London. 

But, given where we are now, I wouldn't have missed it, I am desperate for an away day again.

• Options
    Sheffield United away in the cup. My hope is to see Charlton in a cup final and Europe in my lifetime, would amazing if I could see that whilst my dad is alive.

Pathetic showing throughout, Harriot miss and the collapse after the first goal. Never felt so angry and disappointed in my life. Made 100% worst when Wigan beat City whilst in the car back south.

To do this day I can remember people saying they would accept defeat in the quarter final as long as we stay up (we were 24th in the championship with 4 games in hand). Since then we’ve done 4 seasons in league one. 

4 QF defeats I have seen now in my Charlton history.

1) Sheffield United
    2) Dagenham 
    3) Millwall 4-0
    4) Northampton 2-1 defeat
    5) Cardiff away in September 2015. Knew we were going to be relegated that season after that showing.
    I know you live in the South West but ... Norfolk Enchance of us EVER appearing in a cup final
  • Options
    I don’t find any of the Millwall ones to be near the ‘worst’ for me, and it might be because at least those games do come with a degree of pre match excitement and an atmosphere - even if the result is often horrendous. Same for the QF against Sheffield United.

I think the most bored I’ve ever been was in a 1-0 away win at MK Dons on Boxing Day about 5 years ago. Absolutely freezing cold, and even the win didn’t make it feel like an enjoyable day out. That is one bland town/stadium to watch football in.
  • Options
    And I think an honourable mention to the 5-0 tonking at West Ham on Boxing Day 2000
    Watched it at home on Ceefax. Having xmas dinner with family around. I left the table every couple of minutes to check the score and everyone stopped believing me as the goals came flooding in. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Huddersfield last year was dire. A loooong drive, freezing bloody cold and a shamefully inept performance. We left after the third, so at least missed the fourth.
    God it was cold, made worse as its the last game I went to. 
  • Options
    Watched it at home on Ceefax. Having xmas dinner with family around. I left the table every couple of minutes to check the score and everyone stopped believing me as the goals came flooding in. 
    You were lucky - I was there - just utter rubbish 
  • Options
    Took about 3 hours to get home to Bromley.  Mother was fuming I still think she thinks we had been in the pub. 
  • Options
    Nottingham Forest in the league end of the 90's.
    Addicks stuck in a corner in the lower tier.
    Charlton got tamely done over on the pitch.
    All the while, beer, food and litter rained down on us from the scum buckets in the upper tier and the overtime sponging pisstakers in blue chucked out any Charlton fan who had the temerity to complain about it.

Any visit to Goodison Park, shit ground, shit neighbourhood, scummy scummy supporters with strong racist element and rarely anything to enjoy on the pitch.

Southend's Roots Hall, a toilet that nobody can be bothered to flush, Boxing Day about 1994 or 5, freezing cold, Charlton were ropey, especially at the back, Stuart Balmer in particular got pelters, he got the right hump when one wag suggested he needed to "sober up, Christmas Day was yesterday" to cap a thoroughly dispiriting few hours Mark Robson got a red card for catching the ball as it was flying out of play, he possibly had one foot on the touchline & the ball was millimetres from being out of play but the officials deemed it a sending off offense, not the minor infringement it was rooted in a moment's inattention not a deliberate act of rule breaking.  Whoever the ref was that day would be in good company today with the fucktards Lee Mason and Mike Dean

Recalling just those miserable escapades makes us wonder just why we've spent so much of the last 28 years volunteering for this shit, at our own considerable expense?
  • Options

Me and my mate still laugh about it....they might as well have left that record on for the whole 2nd half. 
  • Options
    1. Swindon 0-5 (just plain miserable)
    2. Colchester 0-3 (League game years ago)
    3. Southend 0-1 (O'Kane sent off)
    4. Millwall 2-3 (two late goals)
    5. Portsmouth 0-3 (not sure if that was the correct score - horrible game)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Walsall 1-1 away in Powells league winning season. Long journey in freezing conditions and a very dull game. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Reading pre-season friendly back in 70's ... trouble with locals from the moment our train arrived ... running fights in the street, at least 20% of us never even made it to the ground due to being stopped by the police
    Yep.
    We went by train but were put on the coach by the OB after for our own protection. I think the crowd was only about 1400.
  • Options
    Barnsley away 1983 - Ebdons coach for the last game of the season. Wettest May Day in history, open away terrace so got soaked. Appalling ‘nothing to play for’ 0-0 bore draw and the coach broke down 1 mile outside the ground on the way back. Had to wait for a replacement coach to come to Yorkshire from BExleyheath. Got home at 2am. 

Oh, and, of course every bloody away match at the Den in recent living memory!
  • Options
    Terrible one for me was Blackpool 2 Charlton 1 in Dec 2018. I had my work Xmas do the night before and woke up terribly hungover for the trip to Blackpool. Whilst on the connecting train I realised I should have gone to Blackpool South rather than Blackpool North so I had a 30-40 minute walk in some of the heaviest rain I have ever experienced. Arrived at the ground in time for KO when of course the sun came out... of course we conceded a last minute winner and I got to make my journey home still wet, hungover and pissed off.
  • Options
    Millwall 4-0 2010
    Sheffield United in the Cup
    Shrewsbury in the play offs
    Stevenage 2011
    Dagenham 2011
    Colchester 2009
    All the recent boxing day matches
  • Options
    Away to Blackpool in 2008.
    Lost 5-3.
    Freezing cold.
    Temporary away stand scaffold.
    Shithole.
    Shit hotel
  • Options
    The 1-1 draw with Yeovil for me. Open end behind the goal with torrential rain and the wind in our faces. In fact the wind was so strong we had a goal kick and it went off for a corner to them! Player sent off in the first half and a goal down so decided to leave at half time and I was still wet by the time we got back to London!
  • Options
    Losing 3-0 away to Newcastle.  Coming out the ground, still recovering from Vertigo 😂, a Newcastle fan said that's the worst team I've ever seen, why do you bother to support them? He had a point!

Losing at Grimsby away, when we went down to 9 men was pretty crap too.  Kinsella and Rufus sent off? 

The time went to Barnsley in t-shirts and shorts as it was a hot day in Bexleyheath, when we got there, there was a snow blizzard, never been so cold in my life.

Everton away.  We were so shite even Gazza scored past us! Didn't we lose 4-1 or something like that?
  • Options
    My roll call of bad away games is FAR longer than my roll call of good away games! Just limiting it to 5 (so excluding defeats at the likes of Oldham, Stevenage, Colchester, Northampton)

1978, my very first game full stop. Taken by the Cubs to watch Orient vs Charlton. Abandoned at HT due to a waterlogged pitch when it w@se9addick
    2007 Operation Ewood
    2015 Watford 5-0
    2016 Hull 6-0
    2020 Huddersfield 4-0
    Despite the absolute pummeling, we had a fun day. @se9addick and I had a post match drinking session in the local boozer owned by a Hull City fan. He wouldn't allow as to put our hand in our pockets. 
    Possibly the most drunk I've ever been. To this day I have no idea how I made it back to the hotel.