Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away game been to watching Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Slightly different take on this but does anyone remember a game at Bournemouth (possibly late 60s/early 70s) when we won but obviously upset the home fans cos they took it out on our Lewis coaches. It was a cold November and they smashed the windows down one side of them. We had to drive all the way home in freezing conditions and some of us had to sit 3 to a seat cos of the broken glass all over seats. So to the nice young man I had to squeeze on a seat with, a belated thank you!
  • Options
    3-0 loss at Stockport.  Remember several supporters having an argument with Rufus, telling him how crap he was, as he didn't pick up their player from a throw in, and they scored.  I remember Rufus getting really angry and shouting abuse back at the fans
    I spent the last half an hour of that game in a pub near the ground, couldn't watch it any longer. My mates came in afterwards and all said they wished they'd joined me.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    this was pretty dire
    This one holds a special place in my heart as Spotland was the 100th ground I had visited. I had bolted long before full time so unless someone from the 92 Club comes along to tell me it doesn't count as I didn't see the whole match this one will always be remembered fondly. 
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    The 1-1 draw with Yeovil for me. Open end behind the goal with torrential rain and the wind in our faces. In fact the wind was so strong we had a goal kick and it went off for a corner to them! Player sent off in the first half and a goal down so decided to leave at half time and I was still wet by the time we got back to London!
    I like how that game has appeared in both the worst away game and favourite away game threads.

Goes to show how many different aspects can make an away day good or bad.

You can tell we’re all enjoying ourselves that day 😀
    I can see you in that pic  :D
  • Options
    Another time I was very angry was a 1 0 defeat away at Exeter under Parkinson, last minute penalty. 

Was an early start and a bloody long train journey and piss up before hand. Could only manage a couple of beers after the game before hitting the wall and realising I'd had enough. Train took hours on the way home and my hangover kicked in about halfway home. Felt thoroughly fed up.

Was standing with @Oggy Red when they scored and went on full rant mode towards Parkinson (take your fucking jumper and fuck off was one of the comments). Oggy was in a much calmer mood than me and simply said "you can't blame Parky too much" 
  • Options
    Another time I was very angry was a 1 0 defeat away at Exeter under Parkinson, last minute penalty. 

Was an early start and a bloody long train journey and piss up before hand. Could only manage a couple of beers after the game before hitting the wall and realising I'd had enough. Train took hours on the way home and my hangover kicked in about halfway home. Felt thoroughly fed up.

Was standing with @Oggy Red when they scored and went on full rant mode towards Parkinson (take your fucking jumper and fuck off was one of the comments). Oggy was in a much calmer mood than me and simply said "you can't blame Parky too much" 
    He loved a v neck jumper.
  • Options

Was standing with @Oggy Red when they scored and went on full rant mode towards Parkinson (take your fucking jumper and fuck off was one of the comments).

Oggy was in a much calmer mood than me and simply said "you can't blame Parky too much" 
    I've changed my mind! 

Anyway, Lee Bowyer found Parky's famous jumper in the cupboard at Sparrows Lane. True story :smile:

• Options

That would of lighten my mood had i heard you shout that. 
  • Options
    Thinking about it the only solace to a poor away day is other fans (and on occasion myself) having a right rant at the players/manager. Can be comical and therapeutic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-6 at Hull .. 16 Jan 2016 .. as 'they' say, we were lucky to get nil .. Hull had a very strong line up and we were stuck with players like Williams, a loanee from (I think), M'Boro .. even worse, this followed 0-5 loss at Huddersfield earlier in the week .. I had the misfortune to be at both games .. Hull were promoted that year, we were relegated

Hull City 6-0 Charlton Athletic - BBC Sport
  • Options
    Blackpool 0-1 midweek might have been Karl Robinson's last game in charge or one of them. They should have battered us out of sight and it took a last minute bad clearance from Amos out of goal for them to win it. Nothing like travelling home on the coach in the middle of the night reflecting how our season was rapidly falling apart. Probably a very depressing post match write up on the thread on here too!

A mention to the time we got stuffed 0-4 at Barnsley 96/97 when they got promoted that season.

Also a mention to the Wigan 1-2 with Nego, Reza, Thuram etc all playing. Can still remember looking at the scoreboard showing 91:30 played and us 1-0 up yet still managing to lose it from that point! From thinking we'd somehow fluked a win to the feeling of the expected pre match loss within minutes.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    The 1-1 draw with Yeovil for me. Open end behind the goal with torrential rain and the wind in our faces. In fact the wind was so strong we had a goal kick and it went off for a corner to them! Player sent off in the first half and a goal down so decided to leave at half time and I was still wet by the time we got back to London!
    I like how that game has appeared in both the worst away game and favourite away game threads.

Goes to show how many different aspects can make an away day good or bad.
    I remember that game, it was like torture. Funny on the way home we passed one of the supporters coaches & all of the windows were steamed up where everyone was drying off.  
  • Options
    3-0 loss at Stockport.  Remember several supporters having an argument with Rufus, telling him how crap he was, as he didn't pick up their player from a throw in, and they scored.  I remember Rufus getting really angry and shouting abuse back at the fans
    I spent the last half an hour of that game in a pub near the ground, couldn't watch it any longer. My mates came in afterwards and all said they wished they'd joined me.
    If someone had said to me after that game, don't worry you'll be in the premiership next season, I would be looking for the men in white coats.
  • Options
    Blackpool away in 72 was a shit day out.
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    And my view from Blackpool Nick was somewhat restricted. 
  • Options
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    Details of the incident that saw you arrested please
  • Options
    Millwall, every time.
    Palace, every time. 
  • Options
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    I think there is an old thread dedicated to that particular day out.
    It was an eventful day to say the least.
  • Options
    As with a few others my worst away game was Sheff Utd cup 6th round.
    Got up at about 5.30am as it was a lunch time kick-off and I was getting
    the coach from Herne Bay. Quick beer in the ground before the game.
    Really poor game, had no food with me and refused to pay the rip-off
    prices at the service station on way back. Got back home about 8.30pm
    with severe headache and hunger pains. Only good thing wife had
    lamb chops and roast potatoes ready for me when I got in!
  • Options
    Too many miserable ones, but losing 7-1 at Luton stands out. Plus 0-6 at Wrexham, 3rd rd of the cup 1980. Anyone else attend that one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    I think there is an old thread dedicated to that particular day out.
    It was an eventful day to say the least.
    Was it the ‘funniest reason for being kicked out of somewhere thread’ ?
  • Options
    I had just started a job in Brighton that September 1983. I had told my new colleagues I was a Charlton supporter. My trip to the Goldstone to see the Addicks ended with me leaving the ground 'early' after their seventh went in. If memory serves, we had had a good start to that season before the Brighton thrashing, thus that outcome was totally unexpected.
    Definitely the worst away game I ever saw; however, two seasons later at the same ground we put five past them (see topic of best away performance).
  • Options
    Two stand out - 0-4 to the Scum,  1-4 on the beach at Chelski.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Plenty, but the one that most readily springs to mind is Colchester in the cup.
    This for me.
  • Options
    another one that pissed me off was not so much our performance but the blatant cheating by Lampard and that half wit of a referee who gave Chelsea a penalty in the last minute when it was obvious to everyone in stamford bridge that it was outside the box. 
    As they were being crowned champions no one picked up on the cheat and the refs poor decision. 
  • Options
    Probably the most recent trip to Millwall. lost to a 90th minute winner then locked outside on the forecourt in the pissing rain for about an hour.
    Was going to say this one too. The last time we played them they locked the toilets so I had to piss up the wall. This time they let us stand out in the rain for 30 mins, which didn't help my mood.....or my cold !

Dishonourable mentions go to

Sheff U quarter final
    Wycombe (h) cup quarter final. 
    Plymouth away 3 seasons ago.  Lost  2-0 when we should have been out of sight by half time & didnt look like scoring all 2and half although we had all the possession. long drive home.
  • Options
    All painful loses - 7-1 at Luton, Sheffield Utd FA cup QF, recentish 4-0, 3-1 & 2-1 (oh Naby) to the Bermondsey boys and the Shrewsbury play off (should have taken a gas mask) 
  • Options
    The 4-0. Two of my best mates are Millwall. I had to turn my phone off for a couple of days.

We bottle it more often than not, but that 4-0 was spectacular - even for us. 
  • Options
    My own personal most painful was Luton away in the 70s. Got my nose broken in the ground. We got chased back to the station where i stopped to help one of ours who’d been stabbed in the arse only to get another kicking.
  • Options
    Pompey away Boxing Day 1983.

Lost 4-0.

Went to Bexleyheath for the coach... My dad didn't feel well so we turned around and went home. After a couple of hours he felt better and said let's drive down and we might make it from Dartford in time.

I drove like a fecking maniac and got in the ground five minutes before kickoff. Dreadful game with Tony Lange being very generous with cockups.

Not a word was spoken on the way home.. Oh the spirit of Christmas!