Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away game been to watching Charlton

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'll make a vote for my Dad, Northwich Victoria 1 - Charlton Athletic 0. It wasn't even a hammering or anything we were just totally shit and lost to a late goal I think, I was bored stiff but my dad was raging for some reason. I actually thought my Dad was going to leave me behind after the game he stormed off to the car so fast, he didn't say a word the whole way home which thankfully was only 40 minutes away.
    My Daughter went out a couple of times with the guy who scored the goal. That didn't last long once I found out !!!!
  • Options
    Not the worst game, but possibly the least enjoyable was the 1-1 draw at Walsall in 2011, due to the behaviour and language of the "fans" behind me

There was a definite scum element around at the time, that was a few weeks before the Fulham FA Cup game when 7 Charlton fans were subsequently jailed for their behaviour on the train afterwards. I remember reading that the police had been monitoring a group of Charlton fans, including at that Walsall match.
  • Options
    21 years ago this week, away to Bolton in the quarter finals of the FA Cup.

A rare cup run under Curbs and with the semi finals being played at Wembley before they pulled it down later that year, I was convinced, absolutely convinced we were heading back to the twin towers.

We just didn’t show up, even though they went down to 10 men. Jensen ran the game for them that day.

I took an ex girlfriend for a Valentines weekend away, we stayed in some crappy hotel just off a motorway (last of the romantics) - I was gutted and miserable that night, no romance for her! 
    This was gutting. We were so much better than them, seem to remember laying siege to their goal but couldn’t break them down. We then of course went there and won comfortably a fortnight later in the league. 

Watched this on a big screen beamback at the valley cos tickets were sold out , and it was a kick in the teeth given there were loads of empty seats in home areas. After that amazing win at Cov in the round before, and I think it was a very beatable Villa in the semi as well. Was absolutely gutted by this.
  • Options
    21 years ago this week, away to Bolton in the quarter finals of the FA Cup.

A rare cup run under Curbs and with the semi finals being played at Wembley before they pulled it down later that year, I was convinced, absolutely convinced we were heading back to the twin towers.

We just didn’t show up, even though they went down to 10 men. Jensen ran the game for them that day.

I took an ex girlfriend for a Valentines weekend away, we stayed in some crappy hotel just off a motorway (last of the romantics) - I was gutted and miserable that night, no romance for her! 
    Watched about 5 seconds of the match from 20,000 feet on a flight from London to Vancouver. We looked shit.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Rothko said:
    Northwich in the cup, freezing cold, early kick off, terrible performance. 
    Agreed.
    Trains delayed going to Crewe, then dial-a-ride bus to Northwich.
    An uninspiring town but managed to get a quick beer before the game.
    THE GAME :'(, probably the most humiliating beating we have had.  3-0 would not have been an injustice.
    Back to Crewe, 2-3 hours in this shocker of a place on a Sunday night. Never again. 
  • Options
    Blackpool away in 72 was a shit day out.
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    And my view from Blackpool Nick was somewhat restricted. 
    Details of the incident that saw you arrested please
    I think there is an old thread dedicated to that particular day out.
    It was an eventful day to say the least.
    How did you arrive at your username?
  • Options
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    My Name is Paul
    I am Black
    I was born in 72
    And there's me thinking your folks were the early 70's equivalent of The Beckham's!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    My Name is Paul
    I am Black
    I was born in 72
    @blackpool72    You'll be glad to know that Blackpool has a new polices station, very nice cells.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burnley away where we lost 4-0 or 5-0
    It was Fraeye as manager and he started 5 strikers i think
    Burnley scored with a back heel from outside the 6 yard box
    sickening
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yes, Northwich Victoria was....er... character building.
    I’m not sure which was a more haunting spectacle, the shite on display on the pitch, or the Northwich fan we’d chatted to, fairly amiably, before the match, who decided we would all benefit greatly if he showed us his arse after the game. 🙄
    And as I had watched Lloyd Sam get off the coach giggling before the game, somehow, deep down, I had just known how it was all going to go.
    As I say, character building. 😑
  • Options
    Few years' ago now but we took a Junior Reds coach to Burnden Park; pissed down all day and the game was in doubt but went ahead. Lost 5-0 to Bolton. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That Watford 5-0 game sticks in the memory. Was just reminicing with @yanntheman about it yesterday. It was quite symbolic too as was the first game I was at where there was a lot of visible anger towards the ownership and RD at the time, i guess when I fully realised we were totally f*cked. 6 years later, things are finally looking up :)
  • Options
    The Sheffield United Quarter final a close second but had a nice night up in the peak district the night before in a bnb drinking good ale all night so that made up for it a bit. Mind you we were absolutely woeful from memory. 
  • Options
    That Watford 5-0 game sticks in the memory. Was just reminicing with @yanntheman about it yesterday. It was quite symbolic too as was the first game I was at where there was a lot of visible anger towards the ownership and RD at the time, i guess when I fully realised we were totally f*cked. 6 years later, things are finally looking up :)
    Says a lot about what we've had to put up with over the last few years that things are looking up after we've just lost at home to Gillingham.
  • Options
    oh and the Swindon play off game is up there, don't think I've walked out of a game so annoyed 
  • Options
    Not seen a mention of Blackpool in 2008, freezing cold in that open "stand", awful hangover, hopeless 2-0 loss, topped off by Hameur Bouazza swearing at fans behind his back. Prick.

Thought I'd cheer myself up seeing the lights afterwards and instead played hopscotch between dog turds.
  • Options
    Sheffield United cup. What anticipation, what a chance. Bottled it. Weird selection. Humiliated by inbred Northern monkeys. Makes me dejected just thinking about it now.

Watford 5-0. Atrocious, waiting for some other puppet to take charge taking orders from some kid in his bedroom. As Nomadic says, simply realising how fucked we were as a club.

Arsenal 4-0 last season in Prem- first and only trip to 'The Emirates'. Darren Bent was out injured, we had that waster M Bent up front on his own (I think), and people like Spector and Sankofa in the team. Even so, the balance was still not uneven enough for Riley who sent off Sankofa early doors (even tho Van Persie was offside), to effectively kill it as any sort of a contest. (Of course we wouldn't have won anyway even with 11 on the pitch). If it wasn't for Scott Carson we could have gone in about 7-0 down at half time. Plastic stadium, outrageous prices, no atmosphere whatsoever, plus plenty of Arsenal day-trippers who CAFC fans had got tickets for in our end using their Valley Gold - fucking disgraceful. I think that was the most angry I've actually felt at a game (with Sheffield Utd a close second) - just summed up modern football, refs bias towards big clubs and the Arsenal 'support' and stadium. Utter wankers the lot of them, also think it pissed down afterwards and got soaked. 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Sheffield United cup. What anticipation, what a chance. Bottled it. Weird selection. Humiliated by inbred Northern monkeys. Makes me dejected just thinking about it now.

Watford 5-0. Atrocious, waiting for some other puppet to take charge taking orders from some kid in his bedroom. As Nomadic says, simply realising how fucked we were as a club.

Arsenal 4-0 last season in Prem- first and only trip to 'The Emirates'. Darren Bent was out injured, we had that waster M Bent up front on his own (I think), and people like Spector and Sankofa in the team. Even so, the balance was still not uneven enough for Riley who sent off Sankofa early doors (even tho Van Persie was offside), to effectively kill it as any sort of a contest. (Of course we wouldn't have won anyway even with 11 on the pitch). If it wasn't for Scott Carson we could have gone in about 7-0 down at half time. Plastic stadium, outrageous prices, no atmosphere whatsoever, plus plenty of Arsenal day-trippers who CAFC fans had got tickets for in our end using their Valley Gold - fucking disgraceful. I think that was the most angry I've actually felt at a game (with Sheffield Utd a close second) - just summed up modern football, refs bias towards big clubs and the Arsenal 'support' and stadium. Utter wankers the lot of them, also think it pissed down afterwards and got soaked. 
    If it makes you feel any better, I was in the club seats with my BIL for the Arsenal game and rinsed the free bar before the game and at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1995 2-0 loss away at Burnley on a Tuesday April night. It was a dead rubber for us and i have no idea why I went. 5 hour coach journey, Had to travel back across London on night buses arrived home at 5am. Don’t know what I was thinking, never again.
  • Options
    Brighton 7 CAFC 0 ....
    tried to leave at half time but the police wouldn’t let us. Think it may have been 5-0 then so we had to endure the whole game. Seem to recall Jimmy Case running the show and netting a hat trick.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Clarky said:
    The 1-1 draw with Yeovil for me. Open end behind the goal with torrential rain and the wind in our faces. In fact the wind was so strong we had a goal kick and it went off for a corner to them! Player sent off in the first half and a goal down so decided to leave at half time and I was still wet by the time we got back to London!
    I was at that game and whilst it felt like the most horrendous experience at the time - it’s still by far one of the most memorable/amusing away days to look back on with hindsight

Definitely one of those “I was there”, battle scar occasions 
    Yes  'I was there' too but like @Clarky I left at HT . This was with the intention of drying-off and coming back (even though the gate staff said I wouldn't be allowed back in). However, felt so wretched in the car and without dry clothes to change into I couldn't face it. Would like to have said that I braved it out but being of pensionable age common sense prevailed).
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    1. Swindon 0-5 (just plain miserable)
    2. Colchester 0-3 (League game years ago)
    3. Southend 0-1 (O'Kane sent off)
    4. Millwall 2-3 (two late goals)
    5. Portsmouth 0-3 (not sure if that was the correct score - horrible game

Have forgoten 3 of those games,but Portsmouth away over Christmas lose 4-0 Tony Lange not his fault.

Dagenham 2-1 has to be tops with me. Somehow managed up in with the home players after the game. Also had a good long conversation with Christain Dailly.

Nottingham Forest first away game in div 1 tuesday evening pissing down with rain lose 4-0.

Portsmouth as above over christmas lose 4-0.

Man Utd as a game, league cup lose 5-1. Forget the 90mins Great Day OUT ,.

Norwich lose 5-0 over easter .
    Forgot the 5-1 defeat at Old Trafford back in 1974. Started at a pub in Eltham High Street, 30 or so Covered Enders, mixture of Cherry Orchard, Middle Park and Blackheath. 

We’d hired a coach but when they found out we were going to football, they cancelled on us. Quick rush across London to Euston where we all managed to get a train. 

Arrived in Manchester and we got the train to near the ground. Wandering around on the concourse outside and then about 20 of us got a ticket into the Paddock, the rest going elsewhere in the ground. 

We scored in the first few minutes and were immediately surrounded by a group of ManU, one of whom opened his jacket, and showed a knife. None of us were strangers to away game ‘shenanigans’ but that was a step too far, so we hopped on the edge of the pitch and moved closer to the Stretford End where we were left relatively alone because we then conceded five goals. 

End of the game, quite a few ManU made themselves known and promised us a reception outside. Decided to err on the side of judgement and waited a few minutes ... eventually the OB told us we had to leave by which time there were about a dozen or so of us.  We got back to Manchester Piccadilly with no problem and then found ourselves confronted by a large group of ManU ... realising all we could do was face it out, we stood there waiting ... one of them went straight up to Jimmy Jarrett, said we had some bottle for not running, and we spent the next half hour chatting to them before our train was ready. 

By the time we got back to Charlton, people were already on their way to work ... I decided to have the day off  ;)
    I went up to old Trafford by train. After the pub I went into the Stretford End by myself. Only wearing the red satin scarf with most of the Charlton writing on it faded. And wearing a CASC badge that didn’t really resemble anything. A copper on entry advised me to remove the badge. Once inside I was standing by a barrier when a bunch of Man U came up noticing I was Charlton. I moved to the front of the Stretford end. Oh no, Addicks scored. I feigned a couple of claps as being cold. Luckily 5 goals went in and the fans were happy. At the end of the match on my way out some Man U said there were Charlton around the corner. They went one way and I went the other. Got on a bus to the station but was worried about saying how much was it to the station. I then heard others and it sounded like five and I said the equivalent with a mock northern accent. On the station, it all looked like it was going to kick off but as Stonemuse says it fizzled out. 
  • Options
    stormin said:
    Brighton 7 CAFC 0 ....
    tried to leave at half time but the police wouldn’t let us. Think it may have been 5-0 then so we had to endure the whole game. Seem to recall Jimmy Case running the show and netting a hat trick.
    I was there that day in the home end with some mates who were Brighton fans.  Fond memories of us getting a corner on about 80 minutes and our fans celebrating wildly.
  • Options
    Exeter 1 CAFC 0 a fair few years ago. I don’t think we had a shot the whole game. 
  • Options
    The Sheffield United Quarter final a close second but had a nice night up in the peak district the night before in a bnb drinking good ale all night so that made up for it a bit. Mind you we were absolutely woeful from memory. 
    I spent the night before in Buxton! Some nice Titanic beer I recall
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Reading pre-season friendly back in 70's ... trouble with locals from the moment our train arrived ... running fights in the street, at least 20% of us never even made it to the ground due to being stopped by the police
    It didnt get any better after the game either.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    stonemuse said:
    Reading pre-season friendly back in 70's ... trouble with locals from the moment our train arrived ... running fights in the street, at least 20% of us never even made it to the ground due to being stopped by the police
    It didnt get any better after the game either.

What was the thing with Reading?  It always seemed a bit fruity in the mid 90's over there.
  • Options
    While it was a terrible performance, and clearly there was a lot of unhappiness towards Roland and Katrien, we were still relatively safe in the table and there were still good moments later that season. Indeed we finished 12th while Millwall were relegated, and played some decent stuff under Luzon with Bulot and Watt making an impact.

It was Karel Fraeye which destroyed any faith most of us had in the regime. Was the Colchester, Huddersfield, Hull week the worst ever 8 days on the field in the club's history?