Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away game been to watching Charlton

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    One i had forgotten about and for good reason was Middlesbrough away Oct 1984. 1-0 dreadful defeat.

I was living in Scotland at the time and it was about 170 mile trip to there. It is lovely driving through the borders so me and the Mrs made a good long day out of it.

We sat in the stand and sat next to a lovely lady who was with her obnoxious husband. He knew we were Charlton fans and every time their players fell in the box or we tackled the preverbal "penalty" and "send him off" was bellowed out of his gob.

Of course we duly obliged and lost 1-0 from a penalty, and we had someone sent off. Cant remember who but i am sure he was on loan from Arsenal and Christian name was Dave ???.

Flanagan was hacked down with a couple of minutes to go in the box, no penalty of course and out came "hes a bloody diver" from the idiot. 
  • Options
    One i had forgotten about and for good reason was Middlesbrough away Oct 1984. 1-0 dreadful defeat.

I was living in Scotland at the time and it was about 170 mile trip to there. It is lovely driving through the borders so me and the Mrs made a good long day out of it.

We sat in the stand and sat next to a lovely lady who was with her obnoxious husband. He knew we were Charlton fans and every time their players fell in the box or we tackled the preverbally "penalty" and "send him off" was bellowed out of his gob.

Of course we duly obliged and lost 1-0 from a penalty and we had someone sent off cant remember who but i am sure he was on loan from Arsenal and Christian name was Dave ???.

Flanagan was hacked down with a couple of minutes to go in the box, no penalty of course and out came "hes a bloody diver" from the idiot. 
    Per ‘Home and Away’ it was Aizlewood sent off - can’t see a loan player in the line up
  • Options

We sat in the stand and sat next to a lovely lady who was with her obnoxious husband. He knew we were Charlton fans and every time their players fell in the box or we tackled the preverbally "penalty" and "send him off" was bellowed out of his gob.

Of course we duly obliged and lost 1-0 from a penalty and we had someone sent off cant remember who but i am sure he was on loan from Arsenal and Christian name was Dave ???.

Per ‘Home and Away’ it was Aizlewood sent off - can’t see a loan player in the line up
    During that season a player called Duncan Horton made his only ever appearance for Charlton away at Birmingham City 20th April 1985 - went on to play for Maidstone, Barnet, Welling and Wycombe (per Valiant 500)
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Just looked myself as i have that book. Dave Madden was the guy i was thinking of and i am pretty sure he was on loan or we picked him up from Arsenal, but hey ho that was over 36 years ago. I think Aizelwood got sent off as he clipped the players head as he was on the ground, as he skipped over him.
  • Options

Just looked myself as i have that book. Dave Madden was the guy i was thinking of and i am pretty sure he was on loan or we picked him up from Arsenal, but hey ho that was over 36 years ago. I think Aizelwood got sent off as he clipped the players head as he was on the ground, as he skipped over him.
    You are almost right - Madden was a free from Arsenal
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    stonemuse said:
    Reading pre-season friendly back in 70's ... trouble with locals from the moment our train arrived ... running fights in the street, at least 20% of us never even made it to the ground due to being stopped by the police
    Yep.
    We went by train but were put on the coach by the OB after for our own protection. I think the crowd was only about 1400.
    I wish they’d put me on the coach that day. Got separated from the main group and five of us were attacked by about 50 of them. I was punched, kicked and battered to a pulp ending up in hospital and to cap it all the police tried to pin the pre-match stabbing of a Reading lad on me. 
    Sorry to hear that. I think without the OB turning out in force a lot more of us would have copped it.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    stonemuse said:
    Reading pre-season friendly back in 70's ... trouble with locals from the moment our train arrived ... running fights in the street, at least 20% of us never even made it to the ground due to being stopped by the police
    Yep.
    We went by train but were put on the coach by the OB after for our own protection. I think the crowd was only about 1400.
    I wish they’d put me on the coach that day. Got separated from the main group and five of us were attacked by about 50 of them. I was punched, kicked and battered to a pulp ending up in hospital and to cap it all the police tried to pin the pre-match stabbing of a Reading lad on me. 
    Sorry to hear that. I think without the OB turning out in force a lot more of us would have copped it.
    That trouble all stemmed from the altercation outside the pub opposite the station. Word spread very quickly and it seemed like the whole town came out to get revenge. As for the coward who started it, he got his just deserts a few years later after he’d decided to jump ship and run with the ICF. All I’ll say is he was a nobody without his mates behind him.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    _MrDick said:
    stonemuse said:
    Yep.
    That trouble all stemmed from the altercation outside the pub opposite the station. Word spread very quickly and it seemed like the whole town came out to get revenge. As for the coward who started it, he got his just deserts a few years later after he’d decided to jump ship and run with the ICF. All I’ll say is he was a nobody without his mates behind him.
    Yes. He even pointed out Charlton fans to his mates at the game vs West Ham.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Dave Madden, who we signed on a free from Arsenal. Good player with potential....he played brilliantly v Spurs...but seemed to drift away from the club to USA. Then wound up at Crystal Palace and played in the FA Cup Final games v Man Utd.

I was at the aforementioned Boro match too. I'm pretty sure it was the lowest away following I've ever been in, beating Newcastle in 1983 by about 10 !! And yes, it was shit. Two pretty poor teams that day.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Simonsen said:

Dave Madden, who we signed on a free from Arsenal. Good player with potential....he played brilliantly v Spurs...but seemed to drift away from the club to USA. Then wound up at Crystal Palace and played in the FA Cup Final games v Man Utd.

I was at the aforementioned Boro match too. I'm pretty sure it was the lowest away following I've ever been in, beating Newcastle in 1983 by about 10 !! And yes, it was shit. Two pretty poor teams that day.

Yes there looked like a couple of dozen fans in the corner. As the Mrs was with me, we had to park our arse otherwise I would have been with you.

I am sure they had a programme that was like a newspaper but could be getting confused with somewhere else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    _MrDick said:
    _MrDick said:
    stonemuse said:
    Yep.
    Yes. He even pointed out Charlton fans to his mates at the game vs West Ham.
    I was at that match and went and stood next to a couple of policemen when it started getting a bit hairy. Someone in my group was pointed out by the traitor and got a bit of a hiding when he went to the loo  ... cowards
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Blackpool away in 72 was a shit day out.
    Lost 5.0
    Got relegated. 
    And my view from Blackpool Nick was somewhat restricted. 
    And you made the Sunday papers, didn’t you! 
    Sure did.
    Unfortunately also made the magistrates court 😣😣
  • Options
    And the news shopper. 

Bastards 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Spanners - August 1989 ... crammed into the tiniest corner of the old Toolbox. 2-nil up, five to play ... well, we all know what happens from

@Briston_Addick A photo taken by my dad from that bloody corner from that night. Remember it well. A long line of last minute equalisers and winning goals from them over the years.....
  • Options
    I went down to Exeter I think in the Parky league one season. We lost 1-0 and were absolutely shocking. Long coach journey back 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Luton Town away, bloody freezing fell over getting out of the car. Snow piled up around the edge of the (plastic??) pitch. Hartson scored nothing else happened and it was bloody freezing.

Colchester away when we lost 3-0@ ? and Llera had his moments of madness, if he had been a boxer Im sure he had taking a dive.
    The moment Llera headed back to where Elliot had been as he moved to collect the ball which would have been its path had Llera not touched it one just knew it was going to be one of those days.
    One of the worst performances in a Charlton shirt I’ve ever seen. Wasn’t we unbeaten until that night?

He was so bad Colchester fans clapped him off when he got subbed.
  • Options

Sheff Utd in the cup was the worse. Got up there night before, same hotel as players, Jim Davidson welcomed us in ( on his own ) and had a drink with him at the bar as he also was talking to Sir Chris and JJ etc
    Next morning Chris said good luck to my son, rest is history and I think it was his last game ?.. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yes there looked like a couple of dozen fans in the corner. As the Mrs was with me, we had to park our arse otherwise I would have been with you.

27. I counted them (and me). Newcastle was 35. 
  • Options

I am sure they had a programme that was like a newspaper but could be getting confused with somewhere else.
    Yep...it was like a poster. Just pulled open and had two sides. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Spanners - August 1989 ... crammed into the tiniest corner of the old Toolbox. 2-nil up, five to play ... well, we all know what happens from

@Briston_Addick A photo taken by my dad from that bloody corner from that night. Remember it well. A long line of last minute equalisers and winning goals from them over the years.....
    Alan McLeary marking Andy Jones? Three ex-Bees' players; Terry Hurlock No.4 and Danis Salman on the goal-line with Paul Williams. Colin Pates going for the header? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

Still have it somewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Great picture. 
  • Options

You are almost right - Madden was a free from Arsenal
    Lawrie's brother I believe.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Ooo errr.