Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    If you’re feeling negative about Adkins just remember how close we were to getting Dave Jones
    Thats akin to saying we should just be glad we have a Charlton to support now ;)
    That's exactly like it, and hope we are all are
  • Options
    If you’re feeling negative about Adkins just remember how close we were to getting Dave Jones
    Thats akin to saying we should just be glad we have a Charlton to support now ;)
    That's exactly like it, and hope we are all are
    I sometimes question it come 5pm I wont lie ;)
    Oh come on now wakey wakey it will get better, trust me, i'm not a doctor
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Danny Cowley initially until the end of the season with Portsmouth...

Unless thats why we didnt want him (as its a Cowley clause) I cant see how he'd have been first choice as he surely cant be choosing short term at Portsmouth over long term here

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have been wondering about this since Monday. 

The speed at which  Sandgaard said 'we'll have our man in place by the end of the week' with a big smile & the fact he repeated it in several other interviews, I do wonder if the new man (Looks like Adkins) was already lined up to take over in the summer & they've just moved it forward.

Purely speculation on my part & we'll never know the answer 
    For any number of reasons you would always hope that the owner would have an idea of who he would appoint at any given time.  Most managers are always 3 results away from either the sack themselves or getting a better job when someone else gets sacked. 
    I remember reading an interview with Les Reed a few weeks ago where he said Southampton had managerial appointments planned ahead of where they were . Hence why ironically they moved so quickly to replace Adkins with Poch.
    Yeah thier "black box" is the thing of legend.  It was only the manager it was 3 players for each position as well.  Constantly updated.  That's why they weren't as reliant on who the manager was at anyone given time.  A great model, if you have the right person running it. 
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    More here on NA. 

https://youtu.be/jfnwFaH4O5U

It's half hour long but does go into a bit more detail on his philosophy and attributes. 

Again, for me, he's a bloody good fit. 
    After watching that I’m now a complete convert
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He hasn't posted his daily walk, suppose walking round Avery Hill Park would be a give away
    Or the corridors of The Valley.

Would make a good video though!
  • Options
    I think TS will go for experience and success as he has done with the women's team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021

Unless thats why we didnt want him (as its a Cowley clause) I cant see how he'd have been first choice as he surely cant be choosing short term at Portsmouth over long term here

Yesterday it was reported that Harris and Stendel both wouldn't accept it on a short term contract.  Here is a bit about Harris

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/ex-cardiff-and-millwall-boss-neil-harris-ruled-out-of-portsmouth-manager-hunt-3168148?amp
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yesterday it was reported that Harris and Stendel both wouldn't accept it on a short term contract.  Here is a bit about Harris

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/ex-cardiff-and-millwall-boss-neil-harris-ruled-out-of-portsmouth-manager-hunt-3168148?amp
    Be curious to know why they're going down that route.

If Cowley achieves promotion I guess they'll keep him, if he doesnt they're potentially back in this position if they dont keep them, and I question who they think will be available apart from Stendal and Harris again
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    All this positivity for Nige, let's just hope it all comes to fruition or there will be an almighty THUD as all hope goes out the window for a lot of people with the "who's left now" realization , for me i think it will happen.
  • Options
    Personally I would embrace and welcome the appointment of Adkins...hes a forward thinking manager,considerably more experience and considerably more intellect than LB ..he might come across as being a bit bland but if he gets us up at least 1 division in the next 3 years I'd be realistically happy 

We can't forget that the clubs  infrastructure has been decimated over the last 10 years and hed have the ability to work towards restoring it 

I dont buy the arguments about not having a cafc background...I buy into the TS vision and in him I ll trust ...although I will find it tricky to chant the words Nigel when we can get back to the valley 

If it's not him I ll back JJ ,I ll back anyone if it has TS approval 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I think TS will go for experience and success as he has done with the women's team.

Karen Hills was a clue and the decision to keep the same backroom staff together.

Thomas brought the experience Hills in because she played in the most successful Cafc team ever and she has managed, all be it as a joint manager in the top League.
    She will over see the transition from amateur to a professional full time set up.

Thomas likes a good CV.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Adkins didn't build that Southampton team, it was Pardew's team that won L1 really.

You look at the players he had - Schneiderlin, Fonte, Lallana, Lambert, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jason Puncheon, Dean Hammond, that's a L1 cheat code!
    They then lost Ox, but brought in Jack Cork and Billy Sharp the next season.

Adkins signed Lallana and Fonte, not sure about the rest. 
    Pardew signed Fonte the previous season.

All those players I mentioned in 2010/11 were there when Adkins was appointed in September 2010.  Of course Adkins did a good job to manage them, but he inherited an amazing side, with Pardew allegedly sacked for "off field" reasons  :D
    Southampton were seriously underperforming with Pardew at the helm (aside from their JPT Trophy win).

Whilst they were docked 10 points at the start of Pardews tenure, they would have only finished in the play-offs (just), had they had the 10 points. With a squad that good they should have been up there regardless of the deduction.

Another terrible start the following season , & the behind the scenes shenanigans, then lead to Adkins who galvanised them to the Prem in 2 years.

It doesn't matter how good a squad is,  if a manager can't unite everyone, then they are not going to be successful. Adkins made them successful. 
  • Options
    Seen quite a lot of negativity surrounding Adkins, esp on Twitter with a lot of focus on his tenure at hull. Was he not the guy who took Southampton from league 1 to the premier league...?
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    felix_31 said:
    Seen quite a lot of negativity surrounding Adkins, esp on Twitter with a lot of focus on his tenure at hull. Was he not the guy who took Southampton from league 1 to the premier league...?
    He did and I do remember thinking at the time he was very unlucky to get sacked. They then appointed Poch and it obviously worked out well for them but at the time is was a little odd. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Oh come on Rich, you can't leave it there ffs
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    It's almost like "we want the guy who took a club from league 1 to the Premier league, but not THAT one".

Adkins and Lambert both got back 2 back promotions as well.  Wilder and Howe didn't.

Lambert seems to have appalling judgment or really likes a challenge as every job he has had since Villa has been at a club with some serious issues.   Supprised to see Lambert is actually younger than Adkins, shows how a tough time he has had really. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Well, I for one will be disgusted if he doesn’t hire a remain voting, female identifying, BAME, lgbtq+ disabled Muslim.
    Anything else would be offensive 
    Strange comment

Only matched by those thinking we will get Howe 
  • Options
    I will support whoever gets the role but I would rather have Euell than Adkins. Euell knows the club, the fans and very importantly knows the youth players and set up.

Also, if Adkins does get it, can we call him something other than Nigel please, like Rodney or Dave 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:

At Hull, Adkins was having to work under the ownership of the Allams. I’ve got a couple of mates who are Hull City to the bone and they despise them for what they’ve done to their club. From the admittedly little bit I know about Adkins it seems he had too much integrity to work under such wreckers.
  • Options
    A(d)kin...?
  • Options
    Not sure on Adkins but if he comes here he will have my 100% backing
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!