Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    Just seen JJ on Quest after our game last night.
    I was honestly happy for TS to decide who he wanted for our manager.
    But feck me, I will fight Bows if he takes JJ, I mean it 😩😩😩😩😩
    Please can I be your "wing man" ? :-:smile:
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Adkins the physio? Just caught up on this? Last night I was encouraged that we would get JJ or if not someone far superior. Not a has been? He is in a downward spiral hence no one wanting him. My instinct is that this would be another mid table finish in L1 under his helm. He is totalky barking too.  Whereas Jackson could be something special....
    Jackson is bargain bucket. I love the bloke, but we don't need to take a gamble on cheap managers anymore. We've got a decent owner who can appoint an experienced gaffer, with a a track record of success. 

Priority is getting out of this league. If we're appointing managers purely on sentiment, we may as well have stuck with Bowyer and enjoyed mid table. 

As for Adkins 'downward spiral'. He took Hull from 20th to 13th, in the championship. What's downward about that? 

How could we have 'stuck' with Bowyer? He buggered off of his own accord.
  • Options
    Having carefully read a range of opinions on here and facts about his record, personality and approach I think I’m coming round to the idea of Adkins as a pragmatic choice and a fit with TS on a mindset and football philosophy level.  

I was underwhelmed initially and would love Jacko to stay on somehow in some capacity, and I think he should stay for his own development if the right role can be found and can work for all - not necessarily easy though.

If he goes to Birmingham he learns nothing new and becomes labelled as Bowyer’s version of the Cowley brother no one knows the name of.

If Adkins is who TS wants, then we should back that. He saved the club, has a positive vision for the future, and what we would have given for this type of problem a year ago! 

And while he’s a Nigel, is there a surname closer to Addicks? 

We can even mash it all up and make a song if things go well..

And now we’ve got Naddickins the reds are going...

...anyway! 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Seen quite a few posters referring to how well he did at Southampton, taking them from league one to the premier league in consecutive seasons. I've no doubt that's caught Sandgaard's eye too but the achievement looks slightly less impressive when you consider their team had:

Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Morgan Schneiderlin, Lee Barnard, Jason Puncheon, Jose Fonte.

Karel Fraeye would've probably got that team promoted. 
    Many believe we have a team that's excellent for this level, so... 
  • Options
    anyone know who his assistants/ coaches have been throughout his managerial career ?
  • Options
    Ex keeper , Amos needs some help , ex physio well they always need help at SL , two for the price of one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    I'm not knocking those achievements, he is a good manager and I have wanted him at Charlton before, but that team had David Meylor, Jarod Bowen, Fikayo Tomori, Tod Kane, Seb Larson, Abel Hernandez and Michael Hector to name a few. We could appoint worse, but if we are going away from a Charlton connection we could go for someone a bit more inspiring 
    Who realistically would be inspiring? 
    Jimmy Floyd hasselbaink, Paul Cook, Lee Johnson. There’s 3 in our division alone.

JFH? Him and his big arse have been a thing of ridicule on here for years ffs. It would take a bit more than him managing a few wins at Burton for me to find him inspiring.
    Get JFH in and Steve Evans as number 2 - of course will will need to relay the foundations in the dugout area. And if Basey stays we really are in trouble. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Well, I for one will be disgusted if he doesn’t hire a remain voting, female identifying, BAME, lgbtq+ disabled Muslim.
    Anything else would be offensive 
    Oh... we just got rid of one like that...
  • Options
    Likewise I've come around to the Adkins idea a bit more now, looking at it as a footballing project he could be a good appointment it getting the footballing philosophy laid down along with Roddy - much like how Saints have been operating in recent years.

And if JJ is still on the coaching staff then that's some good experience for him to work with and learn off.

Still would prefer a Nathan Jones/ Beale type appointment though. I think. Maybe. Yes?!?
    Ian Beale?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    I'm not knocking those achievements, he is a good manager and I have wanted him at Charlton before, but that team had David Meylor, Jarod Bowen, Fikayo Tomori, Tod Kane, Seb Larson, Abel Hernandez and Michael Hector to name a few. We could appoint worse, but if we are going away from a Charlton connection we could go for someone a bit more inspiring 
    Who realistically would be inspiring? 
    Jimmy Floyd hasselbaink, Paul Cook, Lee Johnson. There’s 3 in our division alone.
    All three who are under contract in new jobs recently started. Lol, you could not make it up.
    Inspiring choices was the question not everything Tom Dick and Harry out of work currently. What makes a hell of lot more sense is to wait to the summer to find the right person In a club currently than someone who has been out of work for nearly 2 years.
    This is a fair comment.  However, Adkins has at least got promotions from this division on his CV.
  • Options
    Been very anti Adkins. 
    Now I'm very pro Atkins after reading page 53 of this thread 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    3 infact
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Well, I for one will be disgusted if he doesn’t hire a remain voting, female identifying, BAME, lgbtq+ disabled ex-Charlton Muslim.
    Anything else would be offensive 
    Fixed it for you 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    anyone know who his assistants/ coaches have been throughout his managerial career ?
    Crosby who has just gone to Port Vale on a deal to the summer.

I would imagine all the while the play offs are obtainable there won't be an major back room shuffling, unless anyone walks? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Not jumping for joy but after reading everyone’s comments I can see why TS might be making this appointment.

For the record I don’t think an appointment that would make me jump for joy is probably appropriate whilst we are in League 1 - unless it were Beale or Wilder.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Seen quite a few posters referring to how well he did at Southampton, taking them from league one to the premier league in consecutive seasons. I've no doubt that's caught Sandgaard's eye too but the achievement looks slightly less impressive when you consider their team had:

Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Morgan Schneiderlin, Lee Barnard, Jason Puncheon, Jose Fonte.

Karel Fraeye would've probably got that team promoted. 
    It would be impressive if he signed or developed those players from the academy. Did he inherit those players when he joined the saints? Let's not forget our academy is very strong, we may just develop another squad with that much talent. Players that would potentially want to stick with us, unlike the sell philosophy we currently have. 

*EDIT*

https://youtu.be/wqazAv1s7BY

He did have a strong team as per the video linked. Again I can only assume that he took over due to that squad not matching the potential and gaining the results they should of, sounds familiar to us. 
  • Options
    Will be announced today 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Will be announced today 
    Adkins?
  • Options
    Had a read of the Hull forum re Adkins. I didn’t realise he resigned, and didn’t get sacked.
    Also most fans wanted him reinstated as recently as last month, for Grant McCann who isn’t well liked there.
    Interesting article here. Seems Adkins had enough of Hull’s owners:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-adkins-hull-city-resign-4040649.amp
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Had a read of the Hull forum re Adkins. I didn’t realise he resigned, and didn’t get sacked.
    Also most fans wanted him reinstated as recently as last month, for Grant McCann who isn’t well liked there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-adkins-hull-city-resign-4040649.amp
    I really think our fans who have reservations around him need to do more research then just looking at his Wikipedia to form their opinion. 

Fair enough then if after your read other fans opinions on him, and then decide you still find it an underwhelming appointment. But on the whole from those I've spoke to, and what I've read it would appear many people are very positive about him and his ability. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Valley11 said:

I really think our fans who have reservations around him need to do more research then just looking at his Wikipedia to form their opinion. 

Fair enough then if after your read other fans opinions on him, and then decide you still find it an underwhelming appointment. But on the whole from those I've spoke to, and what I've read it would appear many people are very positive about him and his ability. 
    Even the comments I have seen/heard from Sheffield United fans are overwhelmingly positive.  Unusual for a manager to be so popular at so many ex clubs.

I remember the press outrage when he got sacked by Southampton, for some bloke who knew nothing about our game and wouldn't achieve anything :wink:

"Former Southampton manager and vice-president of the League Managers' Association Lawrie McMenemy believes Adkins has been treated harshly.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "Well I am shocked. I said right from the start that to finish fourth bottom in the first season in the Premier League is success.

"The ambition this year is to stay in the Premier League and they look set for that, not many teams will go to Chelsea and get a draw.

"With due respect to Pochettino, what does he know about our game? What does he know about the Premier League?

"What does he know about the dressing room, does he speak English?

"Everybody will be feeling sorry for Nigel Adkins. I don't think he'll have a problem getting another appointment."
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!