Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Had a read of the Hull forum re Adkins. I didn’t realise he resigned, and didn’t get sacked.
    Also most fans wanted him reinstated as recently as last month, for Grant McCann who isn’t well liked there.
    Interesting article here. Seems Adkins had enough of Hull’s owners:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-adkins-hull-city-resign-4040649.amp
    I really think our fans who have reservations around him need to do more research then just looking at his Wikipedia to form their opinion. 

Fair enough then if after your read other fans opinions on him, and then decide you still find it an underwhelming appointment. But on the whole from those I've spoke to, and what I've read it would appear many people are very positive about him and his ability. 

Yes I actually think he’d be a good fit after doing some reading on him, particularly working with a sound owner in Thomas. 
    My only slight reservation is a nagging feeling he’s another Russell Slade type with the whole ‘I’m really positive’ vibe and the ex-physio to Slade’s school teacher thing.
    But I think Adkins is more of the real deal than Russ. 
    It would definitely be a change in mentality from Bowyer’s harder edge. 
    And with Adkins’ go to assistant Crosby not available, it would be a great opportunity for Jacko to stay on and learn from an experienced boss. 
  • Options
    ROKERITE said:
    Please let the gods of footy NOT give us Nigel fecking Adkins!

This would be a massive step backwards.

Kenny Jacket or the Cowleys, even Pulis but not Adkins. If he got the job over JJ you wouldn't blame him for not hanging around. 
    Pullis.....do me a favour, the bloke is anti football.
    More importantly he's a busted flush. I'd say the same about Jackett. However I think you'll regret not going for the Cowleys. 
    I'm regretting Bowyer not leaving a month earlier, so that we could have appointed Paul Cook
    This. If we do happen to sign an underwhelming manager I'm blaming the "Bowyer in" brigade as Cook had been sitting around for months pleading for a job. 
    Was Sandgaard interested in Cook then? 
    Think with TS admitting he was looking at Wigan before us I’d imagine he knew about him so would be mad not to be interested in him 
  • Options
    I’ve gone from ‘not Nigel!’ to ‘Nigel’s the nuts!’ in about ten pages, thanks to all the info that’s been posted. 
    But it’s still possible that it might be someone else. Bookie’s favouritism isn’t 100% conclusive. 
  • Options
    We need a totally clear out throughout the whole management of the club and players, first time in 60+ years of supporting the club I dread match days, it’s not losing (we haven’t got the right to beat any club), it’s the boring football, dished up, as others have highlighted, no flare players, no commanding centre half’s, no attacking midfielder, no pace, no tactics, no idea.

I wrote the above on the Bowyer out thread, now just referring to the highlighted bit, it would appear that Mr Adkins past record would address most on my moaning and with a decent summer of signings I believe all my concerns could be fully addressed, I agree I was hoping for a bigger name, but after some thought then perhaps he could be the man for the next few years I suggest he would be asked to achieve promotion as soon a possible. If it’s next season then so be it, the to stabilise us the championship for a year or two, before handing the baton on, for the push to the premiership. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Will be announced today 
    Adkins?
    Yes
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’ve gone from ‘not Nigel!’ to ‘Nigel’s the nuts!’ in about ten pages, thanks to all the info that’s been posted. 
    But it’s still possible that it might be someone else. Bookie’s favouritism isn’t 100% conclusive. 
    Of course.  I don't think anyone will be overly upset if it's not him but I don't understand the outrage that it could be him. 
  • Options
    Adkins to be unveiled as the new Charlton boss before this weekend’s game against AFC Wimbledon. Today or tomorrow.

Let’s all get behind the man. 
    Do you know this or guessing?
  • Options
    One of the frustrations of watching Charlton the last couple of seasons has been the lack of any patterns to our play , or regular systems that players understand and thrive off, I think Adkins is the kind of manager who would give us this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More than happy with Nigel Adkins if true. Would have loved it to of been Michael Laudrup just mainly for putting us back on the map and also knowing he would have been the best player at Sparrows Lane. I think Adkins is a good fit for what and where we are at the moment. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Everyone keeps saying “younger more exciting appointment” what exactly do they mean?
    I think they are saying they want a younger manager that is a more exciting appointment.
    He he touché sir!
    younger, why? He won’t be playing the matches...and he seems very well qualified for the job, in the context we’re a league one club.
    More exciting, in what way? Busting moves on the touchline? Adkins has a reputation for exciting attacking football so if it’s that then that box is ticked.
    Other than that I can only say there seems a section of football fandom that needs to separate reality from their Playstation...
    A generation of narcissistic Marcus Maddisons...

Remember its about the club not your ego.
    Ok. Done now!
  • Options
    Southampton really are the blueprint for getting from this league to the prem in short time and staying there. I remember at the time of being envious of how they were doing things, while we were going down the shitter time after rime.
    Adkins was one of the biggest cogs in that Southampton success. Especially early on.

Remember who has set this stalll out as his remir? Thomas Sandgaard.
    So if he's asked around about which clubs have done it and who was the manager, I should think Adkins would 'tick all the boxes' as he likes to say.

• Options
    Adkins will be the best appointment we can make at this time. 100% behind him.
  • Options
    More here on NA. 

https://youtu.be/jfnwFaH4O5U

It's half hour long but does go into a bit more detail on his philosophy and attributes. 

Again, for me, he's a bloody good fit. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Everyone keeps saying “younger more exciting appointment” what exactly do they mean?
    Probably Eddie Howe who they forget failed at Burnley

Behave Sam.
    He was unsettled as soon as he went to Burnley. It was the wrong move for him.
    His record at Bournemouth compares to the mighty Jimmy Seed. 
    Eddie Howe should be offered the Palace job as Roy Hodgson is getting long in the tooth. (He should turn it down and come to a proper club where he can build a football legacy)

I will never forget the master class when they won the Championship and played the ball to Yann on the ground and every one ran off him, with Pugh, Wilson, Richie, etc playing a fantastic pass and move game.

Most managers will "fail' in the end. Or at the beginning of their tenure if they are not given time.

If Abramovich was in charge at United when Man utd were losing 2-0 to Cafc,  Ferguson would have gone the same way as Frank Lampard. Even under the Martin Edwards era he was one cup defeat away from the sack.

I agree most managers will fail somewhere. Id like Howe to manage us but equally i think Adkins would be good for us and im just a bit confused about the stick he is getting so i thought i’d point out that Howe isn’t the messiah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Had a read of the Hull forum re Adkins. I didn’t realise he resigned, and didn’t get sacked.
    Also most fans wanted him reinstated as recently as last month, for Grant McCann who isn’t well liked there.
    Interesting article here. Seems Adkins had enough of Hull’s owners:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-adkins-hull-city-resign-4040649.amp
    I really think our fans who have reservations around him need to do more research then just looking at his Wikipedia to form their opinion. 

Fair enough then if after your read other fans opinions on him, and then decide you still find it an underwhelming appointment. But on the whole from those I've spoke to, and what I've read it would appear many people are very positive about him and his ability. 
    Even the comments I have seen/heard from Sheffield United fans are overwhelmingly positive.  Unusual for a manager to be so popular at so many ex clubs.

I remember the press outrage when he got sacked by Southampton, for some bloke who knew nothing about our game and wouldn't achieve anything :wink:

"Former Southampton manager and vice-president of the League Managers' Association Lawrie McMenemy believes Adkins has been treated harshly.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "Well I am shocked. I said right from the start that to finish fourth bottom in the first season in the Premier League is success.

"The ambition this year is to stay in the Premier League and they look set for that, not many teams will go to Chelsea and get a draw.

"With due respect to Pochettino, what does he know about our game? What does he know about the Premier League?

"What does he know about the dressing room, does he speak English?

"Everybody will be feeling sorry for Nigel Adkins. I don't think he'll have a problem getting another appointment."
    He did well at Southampton but they were right to sack him 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Will be announced today 
    Heard that last night as well
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Adkins the physio? Just caught up on this? Last night I was encouraged that we would get JJ or if not someone far superior. Not a has been? He is in a downward spiral hence no one wanting him. My instinct is that this would be another mid table finish in L1 under his helm. He is totalky barking too.  Whereas Jackson could be something special....
    Jackson is bargain bucket. I love the bloke, but we don't need to take a gamble on cheap managers anymore. We've got a decent owner who can appoint an experienced gaffer, with a a track record of success. 

Priority is getting out of this league. If we're appointing managers purely on sentiment, we may as well have stuck with Bowyer and enjoyed mid table. 

As for Adkins 'downward spiral'. He took Hull from 20th to 13th, in the championship. What's downward about that? 
    Yes Jackson is a cheap and yes he is a gamble but then so was Bowyer, so was Eddie Howe, so was Curbs and Gritt. They may have all been appointed in their roles out of necessity but sometimes it works.
    Adkins, yes he did very well at Scunthorpe (physio appointed out of necessity and it worked) However, I think even Pardew would have taken them out of L1 if other matters had not intervened. He then had a huge achievement in getting them to the Premiership. That was 9 years ago.
    After leaving the Saints he failed to save Reading from the drop and in that impt first season down just missed the play offs and then was sacked next season when they were 16th.
    He then took Sheff Utd to a lowest league finish since 83, 11th place
    Sure he stabilised Hull but with their wage bill and the players they had they were under achieving. Dec they were 20th, he guided then to 18th. They were in the Premiership the season before. Yes he walked away from them after a 13th place finish but it has not been so successful to have job offers heading his way all the time?
    Maybe if he is appointed he will do very well for us. I really hope so. But sometimes you look at the manager and just know they will not succeed...Lambert at Ipswich (similar cv), Parkie at Sunderland. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Well, I for one will be disgusted if he doesn’t hire a remain voting, female identifying, BAME, lgbtq+ disabled Muslim.
    Anything else would be offensive 
    Naturally they must have good Zoom skills as they will be managing from the psychiatric hospital where they have been sectioned.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Will be announced today 
    Heard it yesterday afternoon. My source was the CharltonLife forum. 
    I heard it at about 7.22 this morning........ 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Will be announced today 
    Heard it yesterday afternoon. My source was the CharltonLife forum. 

Clever. You can not actually hear anything on a message board though. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Of course.  I don't think anyone will be overly upset if it's not him but I don't understand the outrage that it could be him. 
    He’s too old to be young and exciting.

He’s off the “managerial merry-go-round”.

He didn’t get Sheff Utd, Hull or Reading promoted. Their league positions under him without any context around the clubs financial situation, ownership and any other issues make it look like he’s “lost it” and failed at those clubs. Did he?

I didn’t like the idea but I’m more positive after reading a bit more about his managerial career. He also fits what TS is looking for.

Hull have had known ownership issues for years, that’s not a platform for longer term sustained success, as we all know.

I feel the main concern comes from his time at Sheff Utd and Reading. It didn’t end well at either - why? How much of that was down to Adkins? Do those spells reflect the level of manager he is now?

He could be a good appointment especially with everything off the pitch moving towards a set up that can give the manager the best possible chance.

There’s that doubt though that circumstances at Scunthorpe and Southampton made things much easier for him and he might not have enough about him to recreate that here.

At Scunthorpe he had a good a start in his first managerial role in English football, something many have also done at this level (Powell, Bowyer to name a few). Plenty don’t continue to sustain that success throughout their career. He had been there 10 years before he took over, he might have just been the right person at the right time.

At Southampton he had a very good team with several players destined for better things, much like Bowyer in 18/19. He still deserves a lot of credit for two promotions, but most League 1 teams don’t have a handful of players with Prem potential.
  • Options
    I’m 50-50 he gets us out of League One within 2 seasons 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!