Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tues 16 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Still pony and full of clangers but the all important result the one we all wanted and I presume most expected .

I didn’t even celebrate our winner for a good ten seconds after it went in  (I was awaiting an imaginary Var or some third official to call offside) because from first viewing I was convinced it was Chuck who had headed an offside Conor in on goal and even after seeing the other angle when you can see Chucks didn’t touch it and then going back to the original angle it still looked like Chucks had headed it on !!

Tough call for Thomas to make but whatever he does he has earned the right to do , seriously , taking over our shit show during a pandemic , madness!

10% play offs 
    70% 7th-12th
    20% bottom half 

in Thomas I trust 

• Options
    First 20 minutes I thought the players were showing signs of an oppressed group, who were just given their freedom to play. Took a while, and 2 goals conceded, but they grew into the game, and started to get their confidence back. Against a dogged Bristol R side showing all the Barton traits of in your face, physical, some play acting, and with energy. 
    Yes, Bristol tired in the second half, but we had already drawn level by then. 
    And the players grew in confidence, and got better and better. Albie a fine example, tentative to start, but once his confidence grew, so did his influence on the game. JFC stand out, Shinnie, quality shift, that midfield will do ok in this league. Defensively, still work to do, but confidence and stability breeds success, never understood Bows rotating players as much as he did, players can’t get used to each other. Amos to me is an issue, his decision making worries me. But offensively we have the ability and options to attack any defence, Washington was immense.
    But what was obvious to everyone was the change in attitude in the players, keen, played as a team, the shackles taken away, so refreshing after the negative, dour performance of late.
    Don’t know if JJ has a chance, would like to see him given at least until the end of the season. Will be good for the team, as he obviously has the players trust, and good for JJ to see if he has got the ability. 
    But I do agree with others, I think TS has this in hand, whether his eyes are on convincing Jacko, or has another in mind, we shall see. But as this season was virtually a write off prior to Bows going, I don’t see what we have to lose in leaving JJ in place until the end of the season. 
    And weren’t we in a similar position when Bows first took over, after Robbo left us low in confidence, outside the play offs, and Bows galvanised the team and we challenged. 
    Stranger things have happened!!!

• Options
    The reaction to last night is a perfect example of how management is so important. At the end of the day the 3 points are fantastic but the the reaction from the fans and players after the game are imo very different from what it would have been if LB had still been in charge. Negativity builds negativity it's really that simple. Onwards and upwards build on it now
  • Options
    Not sure it was a good idea to be passing the 🎤 around amongst each other in the post match interviews.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Woohoo! I actually enjoyed that. It was so nice to watch an energetic midfield who are comfortable on the ball. I noticed we were able to shuttle across much quicker and we actually nicked possession in our own final third quite often rather than conceding fouls or showing people outside.

I thought Jackson's instructions shone through. No needless tiki taka, it was all purposeful passing and looking to get forward with runners as quickly as possible. Bristol organised well but eventually couldn't deal with Washington buzzing up and down their line like Road Runner and they fell off the cliff. 

The players looked more up for it and the character was epitomised by Chuks Aneke volunteering for the guillotine at the end. But some players who we expected to improve in the absence of Lee Bowyer didn't. Gunter still looks like he's forgotten how to play football, Millar was poor again and I thought Stockley was ineffective. These last two shouldn't be starting on current form. The first one should be out with the return of Matthews.

The second goal for Bristol was an inexplicable piece of goalkeeping. It's gone in the middle of the goal from 25-yards. There's a reason teams keep hitting it from range against Amos. He comes from crosses well but that has convinced me he's not the one for us.

Very happy with the result but more so the spirit of the performance.  
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Was I the only one cacking myself when that Bristol Rovers player had that great effort at lobbing over Amos to the far post first half?
    I thought Ayunga looked decent for them.  Faded toward the end, but was definitely a handful in the first half.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Let JJ have the caretaker gig to the end of the season and see where we are. 
    How can someone come in now with 10 games to go and know the players; their personalities and abilities.
    Unless you spend time on a daily basis at Sparrows lane you have no idea on the players attitude, and commitment to the cause. Watching matches on Valley pass, we miss the positional Sence of players when off screen.
    Pleased to hear that Curbs agrees with me about Jackson and his knowledge of the players ! Strengths as well as their many weaknesses.

The amazing fact last night was we looked fitter than Bristol Rovers and after the first 30 minutes of two gifts to the opposition :
    Young Maatsen's idiotic challenge in the box and Amos being shot by a sniper we worked our way back into the game as we were only 2 down and not 4 down as one goal bound shot bounced agonizing close before deciding to veer the right side of the post for all Cafc fans.

An erratic night for Ben Amos but he did a good save with his feet to deny another goal in the keystone cops defending.

Thankfully JJ picked a midfield of players with a modicum of skill even if Morgan and Millar just couldn't find their A game first half. JFC and Shinnie, used all their experience to conjure up two cracking goals to take us into the break at HT all square.

2nd half started off scrappy but miracles happen and Bristol Rovers had the Jonny Williams batteries in last night and after 65 minutes their race was run and the Jackson factor kicked in and I believe they all gave an extra 10% 2nd half as both  Maatsen and Morgan stopped playing like headless chickens and started looking like talented young footballers with their constant attacking runs and better passing.

Conor Washington who has always run his socks off but with hardly touching the ball (until the last 3 games) gave the Rovers defence a torrid time as he started to beat the off side trap.
    I was convinced at first like many Cafc fans the goal was offside as I though Aneke won the header and not the defender who played a lovely header for Conor who played a one two with the post to get the winner.

I was so pleased for JJ who deserved that for his 12 years at Cafc. Sounds like JJ many only get one game in charge but I hope he lets Thomas Sandgaard know today that he wants the Job. 

Bringing in an out of work manager now really wouldn't be a good idea for the last ten games.

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I find it sad that Maatsen has become a scapegoat. He’s a young player who makes the odd mistake but a lot of people on here seem to ignore all the good stuff he does. His recovery, his tackling and for a little fella his strength !!  Tonight for example he got a foot in so many times where Brizzle looked like they might be in but this gets ignored because he gave away the penalty. I’m sure he gets blamed mistakenly sometimes when others make the error, so is the mindset of some. A mate of mine who Whatsapps during the game has been guilty of this numerous times lately. I think he’s better than Purrington defensively although strangely I think Ben is more of a threat going forward. Seems to have a knack of ghosting in at the far post, something we lack quite often 
    Funny how we all see the game differently. Maatsen for me is a liability defensively, constantly makes the wrong decision. I think his ceiling is way higher than purringtons but purrington is much more solid and less erratic. I was thinking during the game that if we had the the opportunity to have him on loan again next season, would we want him again? For me I'm not bothered, think we could do better 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thomas has not got where he is by being sentimental with a heart ruling head attitude.he will also be very aware of how a team of employees reacts to their boss.Last night at the end of the game,every one of those players showed their  affection for JJ,they would clearly run themselves into the ground for him,and some did last night.As usual,their was the usual 2 goal ,gift wrapped donation,but what happened after that was really quite moving.It was as if the whole team said"Come on this JJ we are playing for here"(No disrespect to LB,he had this effect when he came here).I hope JJ gets the job until the end of the season at least,after all it will not have gone un noticed how well some former players have done as manager here.Loved the Curbs hints about JJ knows the players,and how he would be willing to help out.
    One other point,Innis is nearly fit,but Pearce at the moment is in my eyes un droppable.
  • Options
    Good to win but we're still too poor defensively. I can't work out what happened with their second goal. 

• Options
     The most shocking thing for me is that we are still in with a shout of the playoffs.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Amos went to dive to his left and the ball curled to his right. A better keeper would have got a boot to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Wish we was allowed info what could be JJ only game as manager. The place would of been buzzing. 

Not sure if I am just imaging it but felt that we looked a quicker on and off the ball. Maybe just in my mind but seemed a change from JJ with not having Pratley and/0r Watson playing. 

We still had that shaky nervous look about us and have no confidence in us not conceding whenever they got near our box. 

Amos is becoming a liability with his weakness from long range shots but is a good shot stopper keeping us in the game with one save in the first half. 

Pearce continues to improve from the shockers seen during our bad run and deserves credit. He cares and puts his body on the line. 

I think we should really make Famewo a top target in the summer. 

JFC, Shinnie and to a lesser degree Morgan won the battle in midfield after the horror start and got on the ball calmed things down and dictated things allowing as to play.  JFC is becoming the player that was so rated at Brighton, think we will struggle to keep him should we not go up and think about 10 odd championship sides would like at him. 

Millar looked tired and maybe his worse game for us, needs a rest and DJ deserves a go now. 

Washington outstanding again he does not stop working, if he was a little bit quicker and a better finisher he would be a top Championship striker. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I think TS should consider what Curds said a few times. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Millar throwing a tantrum at getting subbed, I've noticed he normally  does a good thing just before he gets subbed (it wasn't that great but it created a shooting chance last night) and after having a stinker all game then you do something right it's a kick in the balls.
    However the most telling point to me is Jacko with his arm round him walking off. Bows wouldn't do that.

Morgan was lost on wing 1st half and mainly doing defensive duites but his last 20 minutes (not bad for a poor tired lad who had to come off Saturday) was brilliant, he created 3 or 4 opportunities in that time. The more he gets on the ball the better he gets. His weight of pass is something that makes him better already than millar.

Special shout out to Pearce for me last night, I've been a massive critic and shuddered a lot this season when he's on the ball or defending but that was a very brave performance last night.

I fear play offs is a step to far and we will be moaning about silly points dropped (Shrewsbury away for a start but too many to recall). Haven't missed a game this season and if you'd told me I'd still be interested in the last game of the season in January I'd have bit your arm off. 
  • Options
    No Watson or Pratley in the starting line-up. =3 points 
    Who'd a thought it 
    Exactly what i thought
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Was I the only one cacking myself when that Bristol Rovers player had that great effort at lobbing over Amos to the far post first half?
    Easy to say now we've won but that deserved to go in

Id actually looked away as thought the ball was gone
  • Options
    Much more spirited performance. Don't know if Jacko is the man to take us forward long term, but I'd be happy for him to take the reigns til the end of the season.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    I think TS should consider what Curds said a few times. 

No whey!

• Options
    I don't understand why Purrington has fallen out of favour, he can defend and with Millar in front of hi they would't get in each others way
    Bowyer froze him out.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't understand why Purrington has fallen out of favour, he can defend and with Millar in front of hi they would't get in each others way
    Bowyer froze him out.
    I would like to start Purrington and Jaiyesimi on the left hand side on Saturday rather than Maatsen and Millar 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    A great comeback in the end , and certainly showed some staying power and energy to do that Golfie  in the end, I know we went 2 down very quickly one a stupid pen and the other, well God knows what happened there, but showed resilience and 3 well taken goals got us the 3 points, and a well  deserved win in the end.
    Felt Maatson and Millar just didn't seem to work, and seemed to get in each others space, give  Purrington the LB spot, thought DJ did ok in yet another cameo, and would be good to see a longer spell, and of course Washington was everywhere, so JJ starts with a win, and see he is 4/6 in the betting, maybe Curbs could chip in somewhere, he did offer last night after all.
    On to Saturday, let's keep that top 6 spot we all hoped for.
  • Options
    Not only a change of manager but a change of luck. At last!
    A few weeks ago, Washington's toe poke would have gone wide of the post instead of hitting it and bouncing back into his path for his goal.
     Hopefully we have turned the corner luckwise and might get a few more bits of good fortune over the coming weeks. Then we might, just might, make the play-offs.
     Washington my MoM but Pearce gave another warrior's performance and Shinnie shined.
  • Options
    I thought, particularly in the first half, the 3 MMM-igos in Maatsen, Millar and Morgan were very poor, and though we looked like we were trying to play fast positive football, that often culminated in aimless punts up field or play breaking down due to an inability to pass the ball further than 5 yards. 

Second half we used the middle of the pitch better, and used Washington to run the channels more and that seemed to work very well.

I know people say you don't change a winning team, but on Saturday I'd start with

Amos
    Gunter Famewo Pearce Purrington
    Morgan Forster-Caskey Shinnie Jaiyesimi
    Washington Stockley

Maynard-Brewer Oshilaja Pratley Smith Millar Schwartz Aneke
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    seth plum said:
    Easy to say now we've won but that deserved to go in

Id actually looked away as thought the ball was gone
    No it didn't it was off target. No off target shot deserves to go in. Some are deflected in and that's fine, but no off target shot deserves it.

(pet peeve when people say things like this or If the goal was an inch taller/wider etc, it's not. The shot was off target, it might be close but it's not on target)