Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tues 16 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Good result and great comeback. 

Jackson is quite lucky in the fact the next two games after this are very winnable. 

The test will come at Doncaster on April 2nd. 
  • Options
    JJ will make a decision based on what is best for his career. 

I personally don't think that working as Bowyer's assistant is what would be best, but he may choose that over being an assistant to a new manager at Charlton.
  • Options
    Would be a sideways move if JJ went Birmingham, he should stay with us or go and manage somewhere. 
  • Options
    JJ and Curbs working together would be brilliant.
  • Options
    Not great but 3 points that i don't think we would have got under LB. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    You can thank me for that win.
    I had £10 on Charlton to win, both teams to score.
    When we went 0-2 down (and could have been 0-4) I looked at the cash out & was pleased it was £9.
    So I cashed out and of course the game changed almost immediately.
    Your welcome.
    We thank you for your sacrifice @Covered End. Is it too painful to recount how much you would've won?
    £30, but I've still got bets on us finishing top half so bet wise I'm still better off if we won.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    limeygent said:
    Enjoyed the win, but why oh why are our corners so crap? And why doesn't Millar get in the box for them instead of always standing close to the corner-taker? Weakness in our game, so easy to defend.
    Stick Millar on the near post. Job done. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Great turnaround but.....

we were 2-0 at home to team with worst away record in division. 
    2nd worst.
  • Options
    So true. Steve Brown does spot a lot of inefficiencies in the game and our play.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I don't understand why Purrington has fallen out of favour, he can defend and with Millar in front of hi they would't get in each others way

The fact that @lancashire lad and I agree on something must mean it's right. Not sure it's ever happened in ten years!  
    Maatsen reminds me of an uncontrollable puppy, running here, there and everywhere, getting in everyone's way, knocking into things and being a right pain.
  • Options
    Maatsen would be handy at LM and less dangerous at the back. But I feel that might not be part of the loan deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Also, goes to show just how good Aneke is once again. Barely spoke about here and assisted the first (pretty much), and all but sealed the deal with sheer bravery at the end. Mans a tank.
    Aneke assisted the first?
    Am I losing the plot, surely he was still sitting on the subs bench?
    Impressive to get a first half assist despite not coming on until the 74th minute, perhaps he sat in the stands in a really aggressive manner  ;)
    Thanks, sometimes you wonder if it's you that going mad :smile:
  • Options
    Fair point Golfie. I felt the same with our potential 'waterlogged' or 'frozen' pitch games. It was so obvious that the harder we tried to allow for the Gillingham game to go ahead, the greater the chance we would lose. It happened. At that stage, moving the game to the right would have been by far the best for us as a club.
  • Options
    Most i've enjoyed a game all season. So happy for JJ, proper legend. 
    Thought Maatsen is getting some harsh stick, had a better game than Gunter who i'm sorry i don't rate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As for the match.........

Could easily have been 3 or even 4 down and although Amos made a howler for their 2nd he redeemed himself with that great save with his legs. Both loanees on the left didnt do themselves justice & I feel DJ did enough to warrant a start on Saturday. Felt he injected a bit of pace & trickery when he came on & would have got hero status if that scissor kick had gone in. 

No idea what they do in training every day as our crossing is not only woeful but its getting worse. Time after time Shinnie's corners didn't have enough height on them and Millar too was guilty of hitting the first defender after getting into a crossing position. 

Finally......although I'm over the moon with JJ getting a win I don't think TS has earmarked him as our new manager. He may hold off for a week or so, especially now we have a blank weekend after Wimbledon, but I feel he has already spoken to 1 or 2 managers & wouldn't be coming over here this week if he wasn't  going to at least meet up with them. 

• Options
    I’ve become a bit excited these last couple of days by the appointment of some mystery tactical genius that TS and Roddy have been lining up for months. 

But then I watch tonight and hear JJ speak, Curbs talking about being being pragmatic and prepared to assist, and the way the players kept at it and worked their arses off. 

It’s just one game I know, and for large parts of it we weren’t very good, but all of that epitomises what this club is about for me. 
  • Options
    A good win that I really celebrated and that's the benefit of having JJ in the seat as you really feel that emotional connection to him and you can see the boys played for him and were delighted at the end.

Not a massive difference in the tactics and style of play as you'd expect with only 36hrs in the job but the selection of Shinnie and JFC over the plodders Watson and Pratley was crucial - we were naturally more positive and quicker to transition.

It really does show what Bows could have achieved if he'd been more positive and hadn't become afraid to lose rather than the Bow of two years ago who dared to win. Oh well we move onwards and upwards! Certainly food for thought for my own coaching

Thomas has a tricky decision now and I don't see why we don't continue with JJ if the momentum continues - momentum is everything at this time of the season
  • Options
    That reminded me of Bowyer's first game in charge v Plymouth. Same players who had under-performed for Robinson were totally re-energised. Right from the start (and despite the poor spell when we conceded twice and could have let in more) we looked at it, playing with much more energy and belief. If anything, it was a case of trying too hard at times.
    Fantastic to see every player hugging Jacko at the end. You could see there was real affection between them all, and that he obviously hasn't been tainted by any rifts between Bowyer and some players (perhaps he has been the one patching things up and speaking to Bowyer when he was criticising players).
    Finally, I don't normally care for fashion, but Jacko just looked so stylish and.......managerial. I mean, aside from the tactics, substitutions and slaggings off, it must have been difficult for players to run through a brick wall for someone wearing a grey pullover!
  • Options
    After the defensive shitshow we've come to expect weirdly I wasn't that panicked Bristol Rovers I've paid a bit of attention to this season, the signings they made were always going to go one way or the other. If they can keep the bulk of that squad together and find some harmony they will be decent next season. This season however seems to have come too soon for a lot of them and they have been there for the taking by any side that moves the ball quickly. I think we still have a massive amount to learn in terms of ball retention, playing against a high press and simple defensive shape and concentration, the second goal was completely avoidable and the first was moronic defending to give the penalty away. 

Connor Washington again showed what he can do, a genuine menace who can hold the ball sensibly. Jason Pearce is playing at his level and whilst I always think he has a massive daydream of a mistake in him he had another good game today, Famewo has set the bar high and is a class defender, I'd love us to show some real intent and sign him if Norwich go up even if Hanley somehow keeps him and every other centre half Norwich have out of the first team. Gunter was poor again, Maatsen has gone backwards and isn't learning from mistakes. Shinnie, Morgan and JFC showed what they are capable of and that they can play on the same side, really want Morgan to get a run in the side now he is a goal away from elevating his confidence. Millar seemed tired and a bit one dimensional and could possibly do with a rest as much as I like him. 

I'm really happy for Johnnie Jackson he's another like Bowyer who if he can impart some of the attributes that he has onto the players then great that will only improve them. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    If we have a chance of making the play offs we need to tighten the defence and not give away stupid goals.
    So if he's fit Purrington must come in for Maatsen who is a liability (with potential).

I'd love to see that 2nd goal from behind the goal.
    It looked like Amos dived out the way, truly horrendous, but did it swerve at the last minute?
    Either way all teams are now shooting on sight of the goal.

Gunter was ok, Famewo was dodgy by his standards, Pearce was excellent.

Millar was rank (must be dropped for DJ), Morgan was good 2nd half & Shinnie & JFC played well.

Stockley was ok, Aneke did well & Washington was MOM.
    I've watched it time & time again & can't work out what Amos was doing, he just seemed to dive the wrong way. It was as if he had just woken up from a bad dream & his arms & legs were flying all over the place. From the normal angle I don't see any deflection ?
  • Options
    I wasn't even aware Bowyer had gone, as I've been so busy I've not been online. I didn't get home until HT, so it seems I missed the early horror show, but from what I saw in the second half, the intensity and urgency just seemed to have been turned up a couple of clicks and we seemed very comfortable and in control of the game, so relieved when the winner came. A lot of work to do, but already an improvement